Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary obsessive neighbour

Options
  • 28-10-2021 6:08pm

Anyone have them?

Old guy next to me literally snaps back anything that might even at the slightest over hang the boundary. It seems nuts. I had a raspberry plant this year that grew fast and overhung by about 4 leaves. Forgot to tie it back and when I looked a few later it was snapped by putting their hands over the wall and snapping it a good bit back in my side. Have a flower shrub out the front which he obsessed about. I had planted artichokes this year out the front to see how they would go, they have big leaves, some leaves literally slightly higher than the boundary wall and not even overhanging and I noticed that they are all snapped back, thought it was the wind but its only the ones at the wall.

Its bizarre behaviour and I just let it go cos he's old, but its annoying that he thinks he can stick his hand over the wall and snap it a good bit back. I mean it's so contrary that its like he sees the virtual line and literally if its waving in the wind he will snap it back

Comments

What do you mean by snaps back, like he clips it? I think that would be ok, legally he has the right to maintain whatever encroaches on his property to be honest. I have a lot of stuff that overhangs one neighbours back garden in particular. It is sort of a mutual agreement though as it does provide great privacy for us both due to the nature of how our houses are built but I always do my best to maintain it and always offer to trim from her side if I think its getting out of order. I also offer to take the clippings and dispose of them so as not to be clogging up her brown bin with essentially my garden waste.

Maybe cut him some slack, he might be set in his ways and just wants to take care of his space. (personal boundaries)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

He's old. Perhaps he sees it as untidy, or an imposition, to have your plants hang over his wall. He's not really doing anything wrong. Plant your stuff far enough back that it stays in your garden.

Maybe it's just a symptom of other issues he has with you.

Snapping as in using his hand not a pruner.

I don't mind cutting just think its a bit obsessive to do it the minute a leaf looks like it may encroach. Either that or its boredom

No issues, actually get on well with him. Just find it amusing and odd that he does it

I agree, he's probably just old. Try not to take it personally. I legit feel bad when my stuff encroaches on a neighbours space though so I do my best not to let that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'd be tolerant as ong as he just snaps the leaves overhanging, but wouldn't be happy is he snaps a stem on your side, and stunts the growth.

Offer him a little serving of raspberries next time, apologising that they may have strayed into his territory. Might make him think twice about snapping the plant.

I do too, the artichokes weren't even encroaching, i ignore for the fact he's old and probably bored, I just find it both amusing and strange. He was delighted to get garlic and potatoes off ne 😂

Offered him raspberries, wasn't bothered, gave him fresh garlic and potatoes earlier in the year

Jeez, first world problems eh???, be the 'bigger' man & just put small these small idyoscncraties totally out of your mind, life's way way too short. A decade ago next door neighbour got a new dog, beautiful golden retriever. After about 6months I notice the guy comes every day into my garden for his 'movement' / number 2s.......... used to drive Mrs Mc Carthy mad but I just put up with it, didn't bother me/ every couple days I'd shovel the 'droppings' into the ditch- NO big deal. Fast forward 10yrs, the fecker still does the same thing, still doesn't bother me & Im still really fond of that dog. In fact, the big physco is asleep right now on the floor in MY kitchen......... if I had shooed/ hunted him away when he was a pup who'd have been the 'winner'/ better off????

Advertisement