Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

You seem very practical and just focusing on the important issues. The main thing is that you have a suitable family home and the cost of the kids education is covered. I'm really rooting for you and hope that whatever the outcome you get what you need from the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

People need to own their Mica issues more than they are. Their builders should have sought certification for the blocks they used. Why didn't they and why was the build allowed to go ahead without this official certification?

Blaming the Government is like blaming Tesco for somebody choking on a pizza.

Post edited by 10000maniacs on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This issue has practically dissappeared off the news radar, the first mention I've heard of it in a few weeks was Katie Hannon asking that awfully arrogant FF TD, James Lawless last night, what's happening in a tone akin to has it been forgotten about.

RTE reporting (first in weeks) this morning on foot of FOI request about the last meeting between those affected and housing department officials. Some pretty startling comments it has to be said.

I again, reiterate I support redress still not entirely sure how this will end.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The remarks are not at all surprising, since it is an accurate description of the ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Probably already remarked upon, but where are the insurance companies in all of this? I know they can't carry the full can as it would break the industry, but my suspicion is that sharp practice on the interpretation of house insurance policies got them off the hook am I correct? I'd be of the opinion that they should be carrying a certain percentage of the financial burden on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Was it all quarries in Donegal / Mayo & Sligo that supplied these blocks or only certain ones in certain area's?

Does this have the potential of a lot more homes affected that have yet to be tested & come forward?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

The typical house insurance policy from allianz has a general exclusion for defective materials under the faulty workmanship heading.

I would presume other insurers have similar.

Sonic booms are also excluded, interestingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Certain ones in certain areas - defective blocks now an issue in Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Limerick, Westmeath, Dublin (original pyrite issue - presumably resolved), and more than likely more areas yet to come out. Most people were largely unaware of defective blocks and the signs until recently.

Quarries are still a law unto themselves in this country, so pyrite, mica, pyrrhotite and more are still being found in blocks in larger quantities than is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In case you still dont know what Mica does to the blocks in your home, watch this short video and imagine this was the house you and your kids were sleeping in

https://m.independent.ie/videos/crumbling-exterior-walls-in-county-donegal-as-home-owners-await-government-decision-on-mica-redress-40993780.html

Are all homes that bad? Of course not. Only a small quantity of them are. Presenting the worst case as typical is disingenuous.

If you look at the mica map and then view the houses on it, you'd hardly know any of them had this defect. With proactive maintenance, many of these would likely survive to the 50 year mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Like my answer or not my house wouldn't have ever got to that state. Solely due to my heavy involvement of refurbishment of my own home over last number of years I'd personally know what to do. And I'd have had that outer leave replaced and externally insulated asap. As soon as cracks had appeared on any wall. It wouldn't have go to that level. A credit union loan would have been done and the issue dealt with immediately.

Not everyone could be in my position or decision making process but you asked a direct question about how I would have handled it if my kids were in my home.

I'd be presently sitting in a fully insulated and newly leafed home. That's double protections against outside conditions.

Post edited by listermint on

What would you do if your inner leaf then began to shows signs of mica cracking years later?

Not all are that bad, but there are a large number that are that bad, and many many others are only a few years behind getting to that level.

And every house with mica will get to that level eventually. Some might take 10 years, others 20, some 30, but they will all get there.

That would be most unlikely. It's caused by water ingress. The only way that could happen is if did a piss poor job on the foundation intersection or new outter leaf was shoddy.

Or my roof tiles and substrate was also shoddy allowing water ingress.

Plus an external insulation to add a layer beyond typical render finish would be a belt and braces whilst also upping the home comfort.

Your scenario is highly unlikely unless you left it as long as your video which im in no doubt that has sustained double penetration. Or you had a very poor job done to remedy.

Because they are being let that way by the home owner. Longer everyone of them leaves it the worse the issue gets.

Many homeowner's have been filling cracks and repainting for years. But you're trying to hold back something you cant.

And im sure many dont have the means to replace the outer leaf.

Filling cracks as you know is as they say pissing in the wind. No means to strength an already weakend line of blocks.

Perhaps they don't have the means. But if it's me as I stated a 40 to 60k loan and versus losing the house. Well it's an easy decision made and made early .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

Wrong. Pyrrhotite doesn't need water to react. Independent engineers have been trying to raise this but the government wont talk about it or include it in testing or IS 465, working group reports or anywhere else. They want to bring the whole process in house to the housing agency to push mica only testing for outer leaf fixes and kick the can down the road for when inner leafs and foundations fail. I find it pretty disgusting to try and blame home owners who cant pay for early outer leaf replacement for their houses falling down. There are plenty of examples of people who went ahead with outer leaf fixes when their inner leaf had no cracks but are being floored to discover their house is now cracking up internally.

But what if you spend 40 or 60k, and then your inner leaf starts to crack?

60k wasted.

Let's be fully and completely clear here.

I didn't blame homeowners at all. Once again dont come on here putting words I didn't say into my mouth, you have the run of the Donegal forum to do that .

I answered a question posed by niman fully and honestly. And it's exactly what I would have done faced with the same issue and done early .

Are these the same independent people that won't put their name to fixes ?

Also can you provide actual examples and full reports of people who have done what I said I'd do and where the fault lay? Because it's really like trying to pull teeth to get real hard factual information out of you. It's all a friend of a friend or a random article from someone in the Donegal gazette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

"Are these the same independent people that won't put their name to fixes ?"

They wont proceed with using IS 465 as it stands. It is a desktop standard. Not 1 block was tested for it. They say it will lead to them being left open to future litigation if they sign off on fixes using IS 465 as they cant base it on any meaningful test data.

"Also can you provide actual examples and full reports of people who have done what I said I'd do"

Ann Owens did it. Took an early pay out of her pension. a few years later internal walls cracking up. House needs demolished. May as well have had a bonfire with the cash. She has stated as much in the 100% redress group many times.

"and where the fault lay?"

no idea what you mean here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Jenerick on the BBC Politics Show today was talking about the faulty cladding on the high-rise blocks. Govt already allocated £5 bn to remove (only?) the faulty cladding. The overall fix will cost £15 bn to £50 bn. In the budget yesterday a developer tax was introduced to help pay - expected to raise £2 bn over 10 years. It seems the proposal now is to give Govt loans to the occupiers to organise and do the works.

Mrs Owens is the only reference point that is being given for outter leaf failure without any reference information for the actual repair and or quality of the repair done.

It's an incredibly poor representation of your point that its burning cash because it has no actual factual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It was a full replacement of the outer leaf. I dunno how many ways you could quantify the quality of that. It's placing one block on top of the other in place of the blocks that came away. Then re-plastered. Do you know of any other way to place blocks?

Evidently you've never seen bad clockwork or and render. And where did they source the materials..

Need it respond more when you haven't provided an insight into poor workmanship. There's plenty of it out there. Plenty !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Interesting article about LPT valuations today.

"Just over half of property owners who have so far submitted a valuation to Revenue – 52.4pc – choose the two lower valuation bands. This means that the majority of property owners who have so far submitted a valuation to Revenue will be paying less than €225 a year in the tax.

They have told tax officials their properties are worth less than €262,500.

Many of these homes are understood to be in rural areas."

If we use LPT returns to cap mica payouts, the scheme might be more sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Unless the valuation is based on the fact the house contains defective blocks, which would make them almost worthless..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I was just googling to see if there was any new of Government announcing a scheme, and came across this article which I thought was an interesting example of spin - just to be clear, far from unique to the mica campaign.

Now, they got me with that headline, as I read it because I thought to myself "sheesh, someone actually homeless as a result of this. That must be awful".

Then I read the story, only to find it's about someone actually getting their problem fixed. By the existing scheme. They are going to get their house demolished, and rebuilt with blocks tested as adequate. And that's heartbreaking.

And this is someone who, apparently, attended the protest in Dublin.

Made me think, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Surely they should have been overjoyed to see their problem being fixed for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So I take it you have it that this family never had to put any money towards the rebuild.

Totally free, and at no cost to the family.

You can back this up.

Advertisement