Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow Manual Gauge 24.3mm from 10am yesterday until 10am this morning. There was 4.6mm before 10am yesterday morning, so a total of 28.9mm from this event. Still spitting rain but looks like stopping now and a strip of clear blue sky is visible to my west.

October total now 69.1mm (Average across the month is 88mm).

Annual total is now 577.7mm

15.6mm since midnight in Arklow

Total 54.8mm and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wettest October day on record for Kilkenny and wettest for any month since September 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry bright morning here in Castlebar.Escaped the rain yesterday to for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

70.2mm for the event with rain more or less stopped now. The most ive recorded at my station for a single event. Data goes back to October 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Luckily it's been very dry these past few weeks so no major floods yet.

More rain in the coming weeks could exacerbate the issue though and its likely to be a wet Winter to even out all the dry days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

From M.E

It's been a wet 24 hours across much of the country, here are some of the highest rainfall totals up until 0900 this morning:

☔️ 65.5 mm - Johnstown Castle

☔️ 55.5 mm - Roches Point

☔️ 44.8 mm - Cork Airport

Suns peeping through in Arklow 🙏

Total 57mm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sun starting to break through in Dublin. Jayses a lot of rain has fallen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Many stations are now above their normal rain fall totals for October, even eastern areas which were relatively dry up to yesterday morning. Many stations are around the 150mm mark and a few western stations are above 200mm.

Another 50mm is possible in many areas between now and the end of the month on Sunday night.

A nice afternoon here in Castlebar with good sunshine and light winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

October 21 is now the wettest month at my local station Roches Point since December 2018.

Still a bit below average here in Durrow with 69mm fallen thus far out of an average 88mm during any given October. Another 19mm over the next few days puts us over average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain again here in Meath and gutters overflowing. More rain to follow later tonight. Only a few stations have less than 100mm of rain and Dunsany is one of them. A fair chance every station in the country will have more than 100mm of rainfall totals for October with no shortage of rain between now and Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

This month carries on the theme from last month regarding temperatures. Surprise,surprise.

Really has been a rubbish Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nothing this side of the county gonzo thankfully, only 0.4 this evening, compared to 19mm that fell here between 5pm and the early hours of this morning, total for the month so far is 68.4mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes ,granted it helps with the heating bills, haven't turned on my heating at all so far this autumn . But I do love a more seasonal autumn, not the case this yr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen a fireball just now SW Donegal , first time i ever seen one , impressive!

I like a warm September. Happy with cool now though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another (very) wet morning in Greystones. 11.2mm since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think its great that Oct has been so mild and relatively dry until the last few days.

Means you can get out and about more.

Another wet start but meant to dry up later on hopefully.

Lovely sunny morning in southern Laois with last night's 2.7mm rain clouds drifting away towards the northeastern horizon. Currently around 9c in calm conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice crisp sunny day out although its clouded over a bit compared to earlier, 9c and a great day for working outdoors.

Very heavy bordering on torrential rain yesterday afternoon although it was followed by a lovely sunset.

Stunning photo @lolie

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It has been a lovely October and autumn day up to recently here near Castlebar. There were a few decent patches of mist and fog in these parts not long after dawn that followed a cool night. These gave way to lovely blue skies and a refreshing autumnal crispness in the air as the morning developed. Some heavy showers have recently kicked in from the southwest however.

It was nice to hear the trumpeting calls of a few flocks of whooper swans earlier in the day as they flew southwards. Their graceful flying formations of white contrasted beautifully with the blue skies beyond them.

I also spent a few wonderful minutes marvelling at the determination and instinct of some salmon leaping and negotiating their way over some rapids and sets of falls on their way to the spawning streams.

No more than the deer rut in places like Killarney National Park or indeed the Phoenix Park in Dublin, there are some fascinating events from the natural world that for me add to some of the magic of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another very wet day in Cork, some extremely heavy showers. Bring back the dry weather 🙃

• Advertisement

Very heavy Squall here near Arklow

Advertisement