Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

They could be back when hydrogen gets going. I see they have hydrogen LMP cars now, which was one of the kick starts of hybrid cars back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Thought it was the main dealer you go to for them?

One of the stranger jap imports i have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

I should be sorted.

There's a fair few VW UP! japanese imports in Ireland, really nice car with a big car solid feel for such a small car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Anyone here much experience with Yokohama tyres specially bluearth model they are kind of around the same cost as Kumho and hankook. So I am wondering what’s best to go for ? I have Kumho PS91s on the car and I find them grand.

Id normally buy Bridgestone or Goodyear or something at that premium level but being honest I only drive the car normally mainly on the motorway and at the rate I am going to be changing tyres for the next while (often) I am not sure the premium are justified over budget brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jesus, they have made a real balls of this site again since the crash yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I made a post about that in After Hours last night. They actually updated the site and then changed something supposedly that caused the crash.

I'm on desktop and they made everything wide and looks cat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in a lot of dashcam videos you see cars fishtailing - i had been told that modern traction control systems makes fishtailing much less likely, so are these usually older cars or was i misinformed?

e.g. 2:58 into this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

It's not the same since it was changed and is suffering for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Out with the old, in with the new.

Needs a new intake valve solenoid but otherwise it's mostly healthy. Clean burn on the plugs. Thin smear of steel dust on the sump plug. No cream in the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Was wondering whatever happened to the previous thread.

ST is still going grand, although I need to replace a ball joint over the weekend as it's knocking away.

Some ballbag did manage to scuff the arch with a trolley though, so I'm back to parking the other end of car parks away from everyone.

Had money saved up to get the wheels refurbed and some new tyres to go with them, but I think I'll be spending most of that on a decent alarm/immobiliser first.

Also spent a chunk of today trying to figure out how much extra it'll cost me for a few upgrades for it from the UK. Don't think the bits will cost a huge amount extra thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It will make no difference how far away you park, someone will still park beside you. I'm getting it a lot with the ST.

They know what they are doing too. Someone sees your car parked by itself and they say nice car. Do you know what I will do I will park beside him to piss him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,855 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Some people just can't park unless there's a car beside to them to judge the space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Haven't had to deal with it for a good few years, very annoying.

Might end up going back to what I used ot do in the DC2 and start taking up 2 spaces down the back.

Probably still get some dick trying to squeeze in beside me to annoy me though.

Changed the brake pads on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

And of course it's not loading.

Methinks whatever software the forum is running on is firing a bit too far after top dead centre.

Have the A4 booked in for a service. 2.5 week waiting list that’s fine can’t be helped. Was told there are no waiting facilities because of COVID. Then asked could I get a loaned of a car I was told I could but their cars were booked out that week so I’d be waiting 3.5 weeks for a slot then. I just opted to take the closer appointment still not fully sure what I am suppose to do for 4 hours with no waiting facilities or loan car in November. It’s funny because if it was Skoda or VW they’d be more accommodating. But yet Audi is supposed to be the premium brand with premium prices to go with it. Like a full service in Audi is €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Just wait for the courtesy car? Only another 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah it’s already on long life servicing I’ll be at the 30k km by the time the first appointment is. I’d have another 1500km on it by the following week so I don’t want to be pushing it that far I am not that keen on doing long life servicing as it stands but it’s just not practical to do anything else at the minute.

Plus 99% of the time I start the engine it is to drive more than 100km distance so I reckon the oil will hold up well as it has a lot less cycling between cold hot compared to a normal car ie the car is at operating temperature the vast majority of the time.

They weren’t sure how long it will take but I am assuming a full service and DSG gearbox service would be 4 hours ? I will meet up with someone to pass the time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, i suppose you'll have to think on your feet of a way to kill time that doesn't involve sitting in reception. Shouldn't be too hard.

Be lucky to have that back in 4 hours IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,045 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The new SL (R232) is finally here.

Huge let down in my opinion. In making it an AMG-only, AWD-only convertible of the next GT model, it is anything but an actual SL, 'Sporty and Light'.

Merc had a big opportunity here, to make a nimble, sleek, light, electrically supplemented RWD roadster in the tradition of the Pagoda and the R107, maybe a V8 Vantage to the GT's DB11, but instead they've just built a muscle car.

Is anyone in Europe making a decent front engine RWD luxury light roadster anymore?

Yes I’ll tell them not to bother cleaning it granted I’d imagine that part only takes about 15 mins or so.

What the hell do they be doing that it takes them 4 hours to service a car. In my eyes they keep the car that long to pretend to someone who doesn't know better that it takes that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Is this something that offered in most main dealers ?

Ah stop, it's a proper service not a DIY driveway job.

It's getting an engine oil change, air filer, fuel filter and pollen filters, DSG gearbox oil service too. The service will include tyre rotation, headlight alignment, 12v battery test and adblue refill and key fob battery replacement.

The tech also has to do a proper vehicle inspection, upload the findings for all steering, suspension, braking, lighting equipment including inner, centre and outer measurements of all tyre tread depths, brake pad and disc measurements and check all body accessories like wipers, A/C, windows, doors, mirrors, locks, seats and seatbelts etc.

Tech has to record a video of your health inspection and forward that to you. Then scan the car for fault codes, add those to the health check. Reset service and inspection interval through the tester, upload the cars diagnostic log to Audi online, update the digital service history with Audi online, stamp the book and sticker the windscreen then fill out his own paperwork.

Check for campaigns and recalls, being a new-ish Audi there will undoubtedly be at least one, download this, update that, check the other etc. Deal with any niggly bits you invariably mention dropping it off, replace wiper blades, blown bulbs or whatever.

Car goes for a wash and tyre shine, interior vac, wipe down the dash and door jambs, have a clean paper mat fitted and carefully reversed back into a space outside.

All while somebody is toe tapping in reception because they have booked the service on the morning of their childs Confirmation for some reason.

Be doing well to get the car back in 4 hours IMO, particularly if you drop off at 9am as the tech will still take a 15 minute tea break between 9am and 1pm so you're actually looking for all the above in 3 hours 45 minutes.

Right thanks for the detailed post. I honestly thought it was just a oil change and filters and be done.

Audi or anything VAG group are very sticky for the multi point inspections too.

We are guarenteed a minimum of one secret shopper vehicle per month where VW group will intercept a customers car before it arrives and create faults with it.

If the tech misses a planted fault, that's a paddlin'

If the service advisor doesn't relay all faults to the owner, that's a paddlin'

And if you miss a recall, you best believe that that's a paddlin.

By paddlin' i mean a hefty financial fine for the dealership.

The faults can be odd too to keep you on your toes. Things like say a clip missing from a vaccum hose, a bulb holder not clipped fully home, bolts missing from an under tray, an under inflated spare tyre, blown fuse for rear window demister etc very very particular things. So there is a huge emphasis on proper detailed service inspections.

CIP could be this months secret shopper.

BTW CIP, fair play on going with the long life servicing. It's the only job if you're racking up the kms. Dont forget to remind them to reset to longlife again at this service.

• Advertisement

Where do you find out what new cars were sold? I remember reading here someone would say there was such and such amount of cars sold.

Advertisement