Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Irish houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yep, but it reality for a lot of people, and when its only one day a week you can get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's TV, to a certain extent you have to suspend your disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And after your one day long commute you get to spend the other six days of the week living in a nice place.

There are lot's of people living in Dublin who spend more than six hours a week commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The problem is that it ties you to your job, or at least makes it more difficult to change jobs when you away from the center of things, but lots of people make it work and wouldnt swap it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

That house in Mallow is Sale Agreed. I passed by it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tonight's episode was a bit dull, 2 properties that were right at the top of their budget and still needed some updating so a bit out of their budget really.

I loved the cottage in Mayo that they visited, that was a really fabulous renovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not cheap at all. 60k to do it up and they got it for free.

It's absolutely tiny too, they won't be having another child in that house anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I liked the house in Tyrellstown pass (SP) I'd happily move into that.

The second farmhouse, seriously unless you got a team in and left them to it, which would be seriously cha-ching you'd be giving up your weekends for the next few years trying to right it and it would still cost a pretty penny. Those fixer upper houses you need to have abit of Dick Strawbridge in you and be able to turn your hand at anything otherwise your heart would be broke.

Last house was grand abit far from Dublin though.

The thing I don't get about these people is they claim the rent is too high in Dublin so they're going to buy in rural area but why are they continuing to rent in Dublin? Why not rent in Westmeath etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably cheaper to pay the mortgage than pay the rent there.

• Advertisement

Yer wan chose the converted shop on tonights show. Not sure I'd like to have people walking right by your back door and looking in your back windows.

I think Vernon is offloading the shop because lockdown is over and no one is chomping on his sausage anymore.

There's actually another place on main street Cloughjordan for 120k and it's nearly twice as big as the one on the show tonight.

The house bought for 7k....yer man must be in the trades. 7k seems very cheap, despite not having any garden or driveway and being adjoined to a graveyard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A burger van in the garden! Ah, Jesus. 😂😂

A lot of people would be unwilling to live next to a graveyard. This one looked like it was in it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The renovation was amazing but I agree yer man is probably in the trades and did a lot of work himself and knew others who could do a few jobs here and there for him. It's a fantastic job though, fair play to them.

I wouldn'thave been too happy with the burger van in my back garden but whatever floats your boat 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

Rapidly losing the ability to see the point of this show. It’s perfectly pleasant viewing but there’s no point in it unless it’s watching for the sake of watching. Nobody buys or renovates anything. All the information in readily available online so it’s not as if these houses would never have otherwise come to market. Surely people know reduced prices are to be found if somewhere is derelict, remote or in some other way undesirable to most. Perhaps an interesting aspect could be if the show had a segment each week where a purchaser’s progress is followed during their renovation of one of the “cheap” houses rather than the completed renovations of other people.

Good idea for a follow up show. I'd say though the show has opened up the eyes of some.

Agree, not sure what the actual point of the show is? She doesn't seem to know what the word average means either. lol

Says she found a house in Cloughjordan and the average price of houses in the area was from 120k-200k. That's the range, not the average. And then she picks a house for 175k? Not sure what's special about picking a house of an average price that houses sell for in that area.

It was pointless showing any run down places to the one the last day because she clearly hadn't a clue about the first thing in renovating a house.

And her little visits to renovated "coh-ages" are out of date too. Asking people how much it cost when they bought/renovated 5,6,7 years ago is pointless considering houses are about 30% more expensive and trades and materials have risen even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Most of the people that appear on this show have no renovation experience or knowledge. They have no idea whats involved in getting the houses to livable condition. They seem to be chasing this country living dream. The guy ' engineer/architect' never gives a true opinion on the work that needs to be done and costs involved. There seems to be alot of single women who appear on the show - I dont know how derilect houses in the middle of nowhere ( in areas where they know nobody )would be in anyway suitable for them ( and I say this as a female). All seem to be on very low incomes and renovations budgets aswell so investing in money pits where there is no market to resell a few years down the line is a really bad investment.

As regards Maggies visits to the 'finished renovations' - they are pointless. The owner of the house shown in the last episode was involved in construction - thats the only reason they were able to do it for €55K ( I dont even think they were being honest with the €55k). Plus it was also a very small house.

In the last episode the lady was shown houses in Tipperary. When you look up houses for sale in Tipperary there are many houses in great condition for even less than what Maggie showed this lady.

Ive also noticed that Maggie seems to only focus on certain counties in the country ( counties close to where Maggie lives)- she seems to ignore Leitrim where there is good value in terms of housing. Could it be that Maggie also offers a service where she helps or project manages the renovations should anyone be foolish enough to go for the houses?

Dont get me wrong this is a great idea for a show but the show is actually done very badly in that the people are never made aware of what the true costs could work out to be to renovate these properties

Most people willing to live in the country would need to be able to DIY. A lot of these could be done up by the owners saving them thousands. I know of a lady doing up an old cottage on a shoestring with some family help.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think the reality is that a lot of these houses could be made "habitable" for reasonable money and with what you'd be saving on the difference between Dublin rents and a small mortgage you could save enough to do a proper renovation on them after a few years of living like our parents and grandparents generations did (i.e. with little insulation, draughts, interiors that wouldn't exactly be Instagram friendly etc.

We've kind of done something like this ourselves tbh: we bought a 4 bed terrace in North County Dublin for 230k a little over 5 years ago that was built in the 20s or 30s and which was totally wrecked inside. Over the course of the first year we got a new condenser boiler fitted, removed and re-placed some boast plaster from a couple of rooms, tiled the kitchen and utility room and installed new kitchen units in both (an IKEA DIY job for the utility), did up the bathroom (with a suite I got for free or next to it on adverts), replaced the flooring in the rooms where you couldn't live with what was there, replaced a few radiators etc. and then paint, polyfilla and hours of work got the rest done. The whole lot came to a little over 30k over the first 6 months we were here. Since then I've done the front and back gardens up for very little (basically labour, paint and the price of a skip, some compost and seeds/seedlings etc).

There's still a lot I plan to do to the place over the next few years (gut a downstairs bathroom, replace the early 90's double-glazing and uPvc front door which are well past their expected life-span, upgrade the insulation, replace the laminate flooring we inherited in some of the bedrooms but couldn't afford to replace at the time, put in a decent shed/workshop and a load of other little things (or more major changes I'd make if I could afford a full move out and get the builders in for a few months job) but, sure, I enjoy DIY and it makes Mrs Sleepy happy to "rescue" the old place.

It'll never compare to a new build in terms of energy efficiency (or some would argue finish but we like a bit of "character"!) and I'll be kept busy for years getting it "perfect" but it's a warm, comfortable home for my family. It's saved us an absolute fortune compared to what we'd have spent on rent in that time while the work we've done to date more than paid for itself: when we got it valued for a change in our mortgage LTV rate a year after we moved in it had appreciated in value by over twice what I'd spent on the refurb. I'd say there's another thirty or forty grand worth of work I want to do over the next 3/4 years but that's sort of the point: once the bones of a house are good, you can get it habitable fairly quickly and affordably. It might be another 10 years and hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of DIY (and/or thousands spent on trades) over that time before it's a "dream home" or remotely comparable to modern building spec but if you don't have the budget to buy the dream house, you buy what you can afford.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't buy a 4 bed terrace in North county Dublin for 230,000 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It was 5 years ago when we paid that for it and being a 4 bed might give the impression that the house is larger than it is: it's only a little over 1000sqft: every other house on the terrace is configured as a 3 bed. Still, you're right that you'd probably need closer to 300k for an equivalent property in 2021.

I think the point I was making still stands though: an 100k house as shown on this program might need major work costing more than that again to bring it up to meet modern building regulations but quite a few of them can be made perfectly liveable for relatively small money. While ideally from a climate change POV we'd all live in passive houses, the reality is that most of us can't afford to spend tens of thousands on upgrades that often have a payback period measured in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Back tonight @ 20:30

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The one that was on tonight was a repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Don't really get the idea behind these programmes. The houses are usually kips and totally unsuited to modern life. Even after renovation you have a small artisan house often with no views and pokey rooms. I'd advise any young couple to persevere and build their own even if it takes years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Cheap TV, doesn't require much effort to watch. Feeds a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Maggie was back on our screens last night with a new series of Cheap Irish houses. Same format as per usual - single young girl with a limited budget looking to buy a house in the country in south east of the country. The first 2 houses Maggie showed her would have swallowed up her budget and leave her with no money whatsover for renovations. Both houses needed alot of work. Maggies sidekick Ciaran was also back giving his usual useless advice. Last night he told the girl that she could insulate and put in an entire new heating system for €10-€12K when no way it could be done for that price given the house had no existing heating system other than electric heaters!

The 3rd house was in a town ( when the girl wanted a house in the country) with a shop underneath ( currently appears to be a craft shop/gift shop) . The house was huge and over her budget but on the plus side it needed very little work. The house and garden was so big though that it didnt suit her at all. Maggie reckoned she could rent out the retail unit and this would help pay the mortgage - Maggie obviously doesnt realise the amount of vacant retail units around the country! Not a good plan.

Looking myself online the girl could get alot nicer houses in Carlow ( her home county) for her budget of c€200K which are in ready to move into condition. Maggie of course was delighted with all the houses she showed though as always. I really wish Ciaran would give honest figures on what it would take to renovate the properties - the guy seems clueless! It annoys me when he goes into a wreck of a house and pretends all it needs is a lick of paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

They need to put a proper builder with her on that show. That Ciaran fella wouldn’t know a load of 804 from pea gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

200K for that damp and dingy bungalow in Blackwater...wow! It would need another 100 K to make it habitable. Cheap me arse.

The Ciaran guy is a ringer for Dougal in Father Ted. 10-12 for insulation for that ice box? Whats he gonna use? Straw bales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

They need to visit some of these people a year or two later to see how their dream of moving to the country came true (or not).

Advertisement