Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum inconsistent carding

Options
  • 28-10-2021 10:12pm

I have brought attention to a post in the soccer forum that under the rules should have been carded. It hasn’t.

Posters have been carded for typos like ‘Spuds’ or ‘Sours’ (instead of ‘Spurs’) and for using nicknames like ‘slabhead’ which is actually the players nickname.

In this case the player was called a ‘shithead’ but in a ‘jovial’ way. My understanding was that any such use of language would be a card to stop confusion as to what is acceptable. This was to show that no name calling was acceptable regardless of the circumstances

The poster in question is a Mod so is this preferential treatment ?

the following are part of the charter -

• ‘The rule against abusing players will have to be tightened. We originally allowed some leeway for heat of the moment type comments (i.e. "How did you miss that you ****ing idiot!"), but that led to mods being accused of inconsistencies and bias. So from now on, any abusive language directed towards a player/manager/ref, regardless of what they just did (or how justified it is), will be carded.

ABUSE: Prejudice will not be tolerated, in any form. Outbursts of personal abuse be it directed at other board members or at non-boards persons, famous or otherwise, is strictly prohibited. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit and issue bans and/or infractions to the poster of such. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to personal abuse.

‘The rules on abuse apply to more than just boards users, and cover players/managers/fans/clubs/sports personalities as well. You may consider certain terms to be a bit of banter, but any nickname or phrase that is even vaguely derogatory may be considered as abuse for the purpose of the charter.’

I PM’d the mod DM_7 but received no reply whatsoever. I appreciate it can be difficult for one Mod to apply the rules to another Mod but a response would have been nice.

I did contact another mod, ShamoBuc, who instantly replied and as a result I find myself here.

I’m sure other posters that have been harshly carded, in terms of ‘abuse’, will chip in with their examples of what they were carded for to help clarify the consistency here.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Context would probably help tbh.

Eg, if I said a player on a rival team was a shithead after he did something then that's imo abuse and should be carded.

But if a player on the team I support did something stupid and I said "he's such a shithead 🤣🤣🤣", is that abusive? Personally I don't think so and I'd be a bit annoyed to get carded for it.

Now by the letter of the law, the latter is technically abusive but you'd expect the common sense approach from the mods to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

TBF, the idea of a zero-tolerance policy is that context doesn't apply - any usage of a particular term results in action being taken, in all circumstances, regardless of context. That is literally the meaning of a zero-tolerance policy.

• Sure DM7 carded me for calling the Glazers vermin literally once

And supposedly he's a United fan

He never responded, heavy handed over moderation and dishes our cards like a blackjack dealer

What's the odds he leps up over this post 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it might be an expected opinion from someone banned from there.. ie. me ... but it’s an inconsistently moderated forum... moderated often in an inconsistent, careless and unhelpful manner... the inconsistency of it really as the OP has alluded to is the downfall of it.. instead of focusing on some posters who really are posting in the main to quite obviously provoke reactions and shït stir it will be the person who reacts who will be carded or worse.... towards the end of my time there the fun was sucked completely out of it..... posters getting carded for next to nothing yet worse things said by the usual cohort and nada...

so many ridiculously harsh cards and quite obvious card worthy posts ignored...it’s a pity.

Post edited by Strumms on

They’ve removed context from the situation for the reason to allow consistency -

• ‘The rule against abusing players will have to be tightened. We originally allowed some leeway for heat of the moment type comments (i.e. "How did you miss that you ****ing idiot!"), but that led to mods being accused of inconsistencies and bias. So from now on, any abusive language directed towards a player/manager/ref, regardless of what they just did (or how justified it is), will be carded.

• Advertisement

Ha! Good old DM_7.

He gave me a 3 months outright ban for calling a racist player a clown.

When I messaged him he reviewed my card history and upped it to 6 months.

DM7 carded me for calling pogba a few names at the weekend and it was deserved its in the rules and anyone who posts in the forum should know about it at this stage and yes I did it in the heat of the moment but it is what it is.

What's gas is the poster who started this thread has been openly slagging of Manchester United and bringinh nothing but **** postng to the forum and opens a feedback thread about trying to improve things.

Funny how people can be so delusional

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Trying to make it about the poster now instead of what this thread is about.

Like you do realise that's totally against the rules?

They are trying to run the forum on the basis of consistency.

Allowing a mod a free pass doesn’t set a good example and is an example of them (the mods) riding roughshod over the rest of us.

You may not agree with my thoughts on soccer and calling me delusional, for that reason, seems odd to me.

We are always encouraged, by the mods, to admit to our mistakes and accept our medicine so I’ve no idea why the mod in question couldn’t suck up the card and stick to the rules like the rest of us try to.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DM7 would be one of the better mods.

Certainly compared to how the forum was before it is currently running far better than it has in years.

Wum's obviously will dislike this.

Is he really?

He's so bad I wouldn't bother posting there again. It's not worth the effort when you know a mod is hovering around to ban you. And 6 months for calling a racist a "clown" is telegraphing a bias. I can understand why calling Pogba names might be trolling, on a forum with so many ManU fans like DM_7 himself. But criticising Austria's Marko Arnautovic was hardly provocative

If he's the best they have, that's damning.

A ban that long seems more likely to be down to an accumulation of cards.

If its a 6 month ban of just calling Arnautovic a racist you should PM Beasty. If its an accumulation of your own doing well thats on you.

It was an accumulation of bans, think they were all DM_7, hence the reference to his hovering and bias. And I get it, he wins, I lose, it's very small stuff.

But if he really is the best mod, the others must be awful. Which in fairness to them, I don't remember.

Not surprising its all DM7 I mean the long term inactivity/inaction of some of the long term "moderators" was raised in annual feedback thread.

I doubt its "hovering" moreso hes one of the very very few mods actually moderating one of the sites larger forums.

Regarding bias your claiming that your 3 month (then 6) was solely down to calling a player racist simply isn't true (you admitted it wasnt that single incident that banned you) and seems more like bias against a mod who dared moderate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is it. The problems with mods creeping out of the woodwork to card you have been mostly solved from my own perspective. I received a borderline card previously and negotiated it down with DM_7 who I think has almost single handedly improved the moderation of the forum. With most of the previous incumbents (that are still there) I'd have been told to go away and sit out the ban.

Obviously some of the mod interjections are not always to my personal liking but that's the nature of a partisan forum.

How long was this non reply? I also think the petty flagging of someone's post in an eye for an eye situation is one of the biggest problems that the forum has had in the long time I've been on it. Groups of people baiting posters and waiting for any slip up.

Was just looking for examples of people who received similar yellow cards for ‘name calling’ of players, staff or others involved in the game.

I hoped it wouldn’t go so far off topic.

This is about one one rule for them…… or even just about abuse of ‘power’ and inconsistency when something has been so clearly outlined in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think any name calling is an instant card. Context doesn't come into it as its probably the easiest way to manage.

The soccer forum has inproved over the past while. Stricter, but that's what people wanted. It has meant the trouble makers have been kicked out or left in a huff.

The main issue is a lack of posters now, but that's down to the upgrade imo, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I got a card for using the slap head name and appealed it using newspapers articles and pro footballers and pundits using the name to show it wasn't a term of abuse.

It was denied and Beasty locked the thread before I could appeal to an Admin.

Fair enough they were rules around the forum so I excepted it.

Another poster went to used the same name and went to dispute about it and used the same defence and newspaper articles I did and whoa surprise it was dealt with totally differently and lifted the card and Beasty closed the thread.

I reported this saying the about lack of consistency even in dispute resolution however I never got a reply and went to myself this is just the way of the soccer forum.

In general though I do think the moderation as gotten a lot better the last couple of years.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thread moved from Feedback to Help Desk. Feedback is for sitewide issues only.

• Advertisement

Is there a chance that @DM_7 or @Lord TSC could chip in with their opinions ?

As moderators of the forum it would be great if they could provide clarification for everyone.

To me this smells like vendetta. How is it hard not to abuse some one? And so whats if some one escapes. In the end, it is only a message sheet, not so serious

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

FYI, I don't think Lord TSC has been a soccer mod for years.

The fact someone thought TSC was still a soccer mod says a lot about how moderation had gone badly downhill over the years.

Is it any wonder the one mod moderating seems to be "hovering"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"it's only a warning" is a sentiment that would be fine elsewhere on boards, but in the soccer forum, cards add up to bans very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I got carded for commented on the soccer humour forum yet Kliith and oneeyedman was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Then you as an Admin can clearly see the inconsistency and have no issues with it at all by the looks of it and the issues it causes the mods under you that have to deal with that inconsistency when you as an Admin seem to ignore it as well having been involved in both the threads I linked.

• Advertisement

Is there no chance that @DM_7 would come on to the thread and explain why he didn’t deem it a yellow considering it clearly seems to fall into the zero tolerance for name calling category ?

The lack of interaction seems bad form from the mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement