If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon 2700 Thermal protection mode

Options
  • 05-04-2021 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

Hi,
       how are you, Last night we were having a issue with the Denon going into thermal protection mode, we were running it on low volume ( i think it was about 60 ) and the unit was barely warm, happened a couple of times. Turned it on again this morning and it has happened twice so far. The denon has never been moved since i got it but i had a look at the cables at the back anyway and there is nothing tipping each other or the unit itself- just getting the standby light flashing red. it ran for about 30 min then stopped again.  any advice on what to do?
         Kind regards,
           Michael

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Moreilly wrote: »
    Hi,
       how are you, Last night we were having a issue with the Denon going into thermal protection mode, we were running it on low volume ( i think it was about 60 ) and the unit was barely warm, happened a couple of times. Turned it on again this morning and it has happened twice so far. The denon has never been moved since i got it but i had a look at the cables at the back anyway and there is nothing tipping each other or the unit itself- just getting the standby light flashing red. it ran for about 30 min then stopped again.  any advice on what to do?
         Kind regards,
           Michael
    Hi Moreilly.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the Denon.
    They are usually bullet proof and give very few issues.

First thing to do would be to disconnect all the speakers and power it on to see if it continues to happen.
    Although if it is happening randomly and not when being powered on the above test may be of no use.

It might be worth just re-wiring it again to be sure and again see if it continues to happen.

If you drop me over your name in a PM I 'll find you on our system (I can't see you under your boards name for some reason).

If its within 30 days of purchase I will be able to get it collected from you and we can give it a quick test here at the store to confirm the issue and if required issue a replacement unit.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Pm sent 

Pm sent 
    Thanks Moreilly :)

Hi Kenny, apologies for the delay i have been flat out in work and haven't had a chance to get neat the av amp. just a update to the issue - I ran the amp without any connections and it did not come up with the thermal protection error (but im not sure if it means much as it could run for quite some time with the speakers connected without the fault appearing)

two days ago (the first time i got to use it in a while!) the denon ran as normal for about four hours and i thought all was back to normal ( i spotted it had a firmware update so i thought this may have fixed it!) But yesterday i was listening to music and after about 1 hour the thermal protection cut in and the unit powered off.
    It would be great if you could help me out with this

It's a strange issue as the unit is not being pushed at all and the volume levels are fairly low ( about 60 ) and when i place my hand on the unit after the thermal protection error it is barely warm to the touch
    p.s I do still have the original box

Kind regards,
          Michael
    (* I tried sending a pm but it wasn't going through !)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Kenny, apologies for the delay i have been flat out in work and haven't had a chance to get neat the av amp. just a update to the issue - I ran the amp without any connections and it did not come up with the thermal protection error (but im not sure if it means much as it could run for quite some time with the speakers connected without the fault appearing)

two days ago (the first time i got to use it in a while!) the denon ran as normal for about four hours and i thought all was back to normal ( i spotted it had a firmware update so i thought this may have fixed it!) But yesterday i was listening to music and after about 1 hour the thermal protection cut in and the unit powered off.
    It would be great if you could help me out with this

It's a strange issue as the unit is not being pushed at all and the volume levels are fairly low ( about 60 ) and when i place my hand on the unit after the thermal protection error it is barely warm to the touch
    p.s I do still have the original box

Kind regards,
          Michael
    (* I tried sending a pm but it wasn't going through !)
    Michael,

thanks for the post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

As a rule when an amp goes into protection there are 2 main causes, the first ( which is less common) is that it does not have enough ventilation - unfortunately this happens more frequently in warmer climates than ours so unless Kitty the Moggie is sat on top of your AVRX2700, or you are operating it flat out, you can probably discount this as a probable cause.

The second and from experience the far more common for any amp entering protection is a dead short either in the speaker cable or within one of the speakers the fact that it runs without issue when not connected to speakers may suggest that the issue lies with cables or speakers.

In the first instance - proceed with care, if your amp is constantly running into protect mode than you stand a chance of damaging it, next start by disconnecting ALL your speakers again and check your speaker cables CAREFULLY from end to end, literally one stray strand of speaker cable will cause this issue, check around all amp and speaker terminals and across the length of the cable to ensure there are no carpet nail / tacks etc. shorting out the + / - sides of the speaker cable.

Next start re-connecting your speakers ONE by ONE, and run the amp for some time to try to locate where the issue lies - if the amp starts to go into protect again the probable offended is the last channel added. 

If there are no issues with your cables and the issue arises with a specific speaker, it is possible that there is a possible issue with that speaker - this can happen if the speaker is overdriven and the coil is damaged and the only resolution is to repair or replace the speaker.

If you check out the online X2700 manual you will also be able to check the standby 'flash sequence' which is a guide to what the error cause may be:

https://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2700H/NA/EN/DRDZSYmxzbghkd.php  

This is of course not exhaustive but again, in my experience the above issues are the root causes of a huge proportion of protect issues and again please do proceed carefully until the cause is identified as you can do quite a lot of damage to your AVR if you continue to use it without rectifying the issue.

Hope that's helpful but as ever keep us posted and we will do our best to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi, 
      The unit ran fine for a while but started coming up with the error again. we generally would only have it on for movies and at fairly low levels. It's odd that it ran for a couple of days fine and then started happening again while watching wandavision and we had to leave it turned off.

Speakers and connections have been disconnected reconnected ect and seem fine, and going by the flashing red power light status in you link it appears to be this -
    ("[font=Arial, "ヒラギノ角ゴ Pro W3", "Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro", メイリオ, Meiryo, Osaka, "MS Pゴシック", "MS P Gothic", sans-serif]Power turns off and the power indicator flashes in red approx. every 2 seconds.[/font]The protection circuit has been activated due to a rise in temperature within this unit. Turn the power off, wait about an hour until this unit cools down sufficiently, and then turn the power on again.)
     but the amp is not even anywhere near warm when it happens, I have tried to see if i could make the fault happen happen by increasing the volume to levels higher than i would normally listen to but could not get the unit to trip, it just seems to do it randomly, its a bit of a strange issue.
      Any help would be much appreciated.
         Kind regards,
           michael

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi, 
      The unit ran fine for a while but started coming up with the error again. we generally would only have it on for movies and at fairly low levels. It's odd that it ran for a couple of days fine and then started happening again while watching wandavision and we had to leave it turned off.

Speakers and connections have been disconnected reconnected ect and seem fine, and going by the flashing red power light status in you link it appears to be this -
    ("[font=Arial,]Power turns off and the power indicator flashes in red approx. every 2 seconds.[/font]The protection circuit has been activated due to a rise in temperature within this unit. Turn the power off, wait about an hour until this unit cools down sufficiently, and then turn the power on again.)
     but the amp is not even anywhere near warm when it happens, I have tried to see if i could make the fault happen happen by increasing the volume to levels higher than i would normally listen to but could not get the unit to trip, it just seems to do it randomly, its a bit of a strange issue.
      Any help would be much appreciated.
         Kind regards,
           michael
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Do you have the amp in an enclosed TV unit or is it sitting out in the open?

The last test I would do just to discount it would be to run it outside of a cabinet to see if this stops it triggering the thermal protect mode. If it already is in the open though I can't see this being the issue.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

No worries - the unit is out in the open - nothing near any of the vents and the room is quite cool, the strange thing is when it goes into thermal protection the unit is not really warm.

It's hard to convey temp on a forum post but the best way to describe it is that the temp of the unit is barely warm so much so that you might not think the unit was on at all. it could run for a couple of movies and be fine and then all of a sudden the next day it just gives up half way through watching something.

It's a very odd issue, and one that i find difficult to pinpoint or fault find the cause as it is so random and i am unable to 'force' it to happen. the only things connected are the other bits i got from ye the q acoustics 3050, 3010, 7000i and 3090c plus the lg oled via earc and all connections are fine

Kind regards,
            Michael

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi David

No worries - the unit is out in the open - nothing near any of the vents and the room is quite cool, the strange thing is when it goes into thermal protection the unit is not really warm.

It's hard to convey temp on a forum post but the best way to describe it is that the temp of the unit is barely warm so much so that you might not think the unit was on at all. it could run for a couple of movies and be fine and then all of a sudden the next day it just gives up half way through watching something.

It's a very odd issue, and one that i find difficult to pinpoint or fault find the cause as it is so random and i am unable to 'force' it to happen. the only things connected are the other bits i got from ye the q acoustics 3050, 3010, 7000i and 3090c plus the lg oled via earc and all connections are fine

Kind regards,
            Michael
    Hi Michael,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you!

The only other suggestion I would have is if you were to send it back to the store we can have it tested here and repaired if faulty? I think you bought that one back in November so it's still under warranty!

Do you still have the packaging for the unit?

Kind regards

David

Hi,

How are you,an you pm me on how i would go about sending this back for you to have a look at, ( i know i should have sent it earlier but life got in the way!!), it has gotten worse (sometimes lasting 2 hours, sometimes lasting a couple of seconds), i tried updating the firmware via wifi but it cant see any networks - when searching it just has the circle going around and it never leaves the screen.

Kind Regards,

Michael

• Advertisement

Hi Moreilly.

If you can return it back to us back to the store here at:

Richersounds, 7 Smithfield Square North, Belfast, Co. Antrim, BT1 1FN. Pease also include your name and address in the package so it can be tied to you when it arrives.

Please ensure it is well packaged to avoid any damaged on its journey.

If you let us know once its on it's way we can keep an eye out for it arriving.

Any questions please let me know.

Hi,

The Denon 2700 is being sent via UPS tomorrow, it will probably arrive monday or tuesday. tried it again, still have the issue. It is even happening when no speakers are connected

Kind Regards,

Michael

Hey Michael.

No problem at all.

I'll keep my eye out for it arriving and we'll get it tested and off for repair.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.