Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 4a

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was quite impressed with the battery on this, until fairly recently. All I'm doing is browsing boards, the odd check of email, some Twitter, etc. It has started to chip away at it now, even before Android 12.

How's everyone else getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've found the battery to be quite poor since the get go, I will struggle to get a full day if I do anything remotely screen-intensive (maps navigation, take a lot of photos etc). It's a fantastic phone otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

Battery has gone downhill since Android 12 update for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone using an ESim and physical SIM in this dual siming ? Just noticed this seems to be available for this device and the wife has one sitting in drawer from work but was reluctant to use it as didn't know it was dual SIM until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

Have a 3a and using as dual SIM. Works perfectly. Esim very straightforward to setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea I set up a Vodafone esim to try out coverage before switching as my signal with Three wasn't great at work.

Vodafone are only network doing it at the minute but Three are meant to be doing it soon. Was easy set up on phone once I had managed to get through all the glitches on the Vodafone site. Just scan a barcode once your sale is done. Certainly handier than opening sim card tray!

The esim is great to have and handy to be able to store a couple of SIMs on the esim too (only one of the esims can be active at a time).

You can also get global data esims when roaming outside the EU etc which is nice to be able to setup before you go etc.

48 is a disaster for roaming (slow, spotty often non working data coverage) so its very handy to be able to have a VF esim ready to activate. Can just buy the €5 data bundle on the My VF app then for EU roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you know if it takes both eSim and physical in dual operation like a conventional physical dual SIM device

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Speaking of eSIMs, I've never used one and am hoping to travel to the US next year. I'll need data for driving. Do I buy and eSIM here and use roaming or buy a US eSIM and go from there?

Secondly, does anyone have an armband for the 4a they'd recommend for exercise/running?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 urbancowboy

Was in Spain & UK recently and used the esim for roaming with the 5euro add-on from Vodafone. Also tried the 1gb trial from Truphone and it worked here and the UK. Handy feature to have. Dual SIM works the same as two physical Sims. Can only set one sim to data though. When making a call or text you can specify which SIM to use.

• Advertisement

Yes it does. I have a 48 physical SIM and a VF esim active at the same time.

In my experience so far it works the same as a normal dual SIM phone (such as the Galaxy S10) except that the 2nd SIM in this case is an eSIM.

Im looking for a case with built in battery pack. Has anyone come across something theyve found reliable? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Battery life on my 4a has gone to shite... And I can pretty much identify the December update as occuring around the same time. Is it time for a factory reset, or do I need a new phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

No issue on mine though them effing up the December Patch on the Pixel 6 has me back using the 4a

I mostly look at boards, email, Twitter and internet banking on wifi. It fairly rips through the battery, much more than it did compared to when I first got the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

After a couple of near-misses my 14 month old daughter finally delivered a killer blow to my wife's Pixel 4a. Screen totally smashed and unresponsive to any touch inputs. Have decided to go with a repair through Google's store for €140. Has anyone used it before, specifically for smashed screens? How was the repair quality and speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Girlfriend used it the google repair last January...I don't think it was too lung turnaround - however the phone took another fall just before Christmas and screen went like 'purple ink' blots and now it's essentially ruined again...don't think can justify dropping €140 on it again! Fairly delicate screens on the pixel 4a, (even with a case)!

Was hoping to get her to ugprade to a Pixel 6 but think she's tempted to go back to Galaxy with an S20/S21 FE if they can take a bit more punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Anybody else have their voicemail notifications disappearing? Sometimes I'll have no missed call or voicemail notification and then will call 171 and have a new voicemail. Very annoying. I checked the notifications and all look turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Cracked the whole screen when it dropped onto one of the edges. Used the google store repair. Ordered repair on 22nd Oct and it was returned on the 5 Nov. It would have been quicker but I was notified of a delay during the repair. Phone came back like new. Very happy but pricey. If I broke it again don't know if I would pay again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

That's the problem with the fecking Pixels, great phone but unlikely to be fixed by the dime a dozen repair shops around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Both pixel 3a and 4a have been nothing but issues for me, my daughters 3a needed 2 warranty repairs, my wifes 3 a needed 1 warranty repair and my oldest daughters pixel 4a is now away on its second warranty repair, shambles of a phone. Both youngest daughter and wife are now on mid rang xiaomi phones and not 1 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

I'm on my fourth Pixel phone (6) and never a bother with any of them. Ive found them to be solid performers at great value.

Was it the same phone? Did you have to wipe it before sending it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Same phone came back based on the IMEI number. Yes, it has to wiped before sending, instructions say they will do it if you don't. Was easy enough to backup and restore when I got it back.

Looks like they're no longer selling it on the Google store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

Making way for the Pixel 6a later this year, possibly May.

350MB or so update a few weeks ago.

Battery still depletes pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Any one else get Sim Card errors on their Pixel 4a? I've been getting it intermittently in the last few weeks. Returned it to google and they are issuing a refurbished replacement. Just an FYI in case anyone is getting the same issue

• Advertisement

Downloading a security update. It says 'Hello, Android 13'.

855MB.

Advertisement