Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIL 2021-2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Cork Con

Trinity

Garryowen

Lansdowne

Young Munster

St Marys

Shannon

Highfield

Belvo

Wesley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Stainalert

1A

CLONTARF V CORK CONSTITUTION - Cork Con will be hurting so expecting them to get going with a narrow over Tarf

DUBLIN UNIVERSITY v BALLYNAHINCH - Ballynahinch - No logic for this just a hunch

GARRYOWEN v UCD - Expect them to win well against UCD

UCC v LANSDOWNE - Mardyke has been a tricky place for us to go to in the past - our last game there we won by a whisker 🤞

YOUNG MUNSTER V TERENURE COLLEGE - I think Terenure will surprise most with a win here

1B

BANBRIDGE v ST MARY'S COLLEGE - Going with Marys, they have had 2 tight losses against 2 of the top teams in the league

CITY OF ARMAGH v SHANNON - Home advantage to tell with Armagh to squeeze through

HIGHFIELD v NAAS - There won't be many getting a win away to Highfield this season and I can't see Naas being the exception

OLD BELVEDERE v MALONE - Belvo to win

OLD WESLEY v NAVAN - Wesley to win well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Results

Division 1A

Clontarf 31 Cork Con 24

Dublin University 19 Ballynahinch 13

Garryowen 26 UCD 13

UCC 15 Lansdowne 31

Young Munster 19 Terenure 7

Division 1B

Banbridge 17 St. Mary’s College 29

Armagh 23 Shannon 20

Highfield 38 Naas 3

Old Belvedere 32 Malone 10

Old Wesley 45 Navan 7

Division 2A

UL Bohs 18 Cashel 14

Ballymena 29 Old Crescent 25

Buccaneers 24 Nenagh Ormond 16

Queen’s University 60 Dolphin 0

Rainey Old Boys 0 MU Barnhall 39

Division 2B

Belfast Harlequins 25 Ballina 24

Galwegians 5 Blackrock College 17

Greystones 43 Galway Corinthians 7

Sligo 19 Malahide 7

Wanderers 29 Dungannon 22

Division 2C

Bangor 24 Midleton 14

Bruff 14 Clonmel 14

Enniscorthy 45 Omagh Academicals 17

Skerries 36 Tullamore 5

Sunday‘s Well 14 City of Derry 20 

We ended up taking a mini bus to Limerick, 12 of us, was mighty craic.

Two tough losses in a row for us, but v two good teams. Young Munster are very physical. Was a good tough game.

The break is needed to patch up a few injuries.

The talk in the Young Munster bar was because of that Covid case in Nenagh before their game in week 2, it is going to be announced that it will be only 1 up and 1 down. Which seems crazy cause it is only October and would just make piles and piles of dead rubber games post Christmas.

Even in 1B for example, its pretty obvious Navan are going to get relegated and that Wesley and Highfield seem pretty strong at the top, so what happens in the middle like

Yeah that was what was in the regulations for the season. you would hope they don't follow that exactly as would make lot of dead rubbers but to be fair after not having any games for so long. a lot of dead rubbers wouldn't be the worst thing if it meant teams were just playing games. There will likely be another game or two called due to covid before end of season anyway so im not sure id agree with changing promotion/relegation based on one game being called off.

Now i know it wont happen but if that was the case about one up one down i would love to see an all ireland cup reintroduced where any AIL club could be drawn against another. So even a division 2C club could be drawn against a 1A and in those cases especially in 1st and maybe 2nd rounds that the 2C/2B club is always playing at home if playing against the 1A side.

• Advertisement

I don't know, sort of games for the sake of games.

Asking lads to give up up their weekends, maybe work to travel etc, with no hope of promotion if you were midtable post Xmas. As opposed to having top four to aim for. Like we all know how physical it is etc, risk getting injured for essentially dead rubbers.

I know it is done, just seems mad with a full season, and loads of breaks to catch up on games called off due to weather etc, that it couldn't have been fitted back in and that say other divisions would be impacted by one game in a different league.

Whilst I know it is your team, and not even my league, they were saying it was all a bit suss and that Cashel were very unhappy how it played out.

Yes its games for sake of games but when you have had 18 months with no real rugby then its better to be playing anything at all. There is always plenty of teams with little to play for post xmas anyway or even sides who realistically/mathematically are still in with a chance but players/club dont actually want to be promoted.

Who are the "they" who were saying it was suspect?

Yes I get that, but as someone still playing myself, and speaking for myself, if someone said even at our Junior Level, that we are changing the way promotion or relegation happens, and that is just playing in Dublin, you are less likely to be as motivated , and I think less likely to maybe go from Cork on an overnight to Belfast, leave work early etc. Just my tuppance on it.

They were the lads from Young Munster who were chatting with, we spent about 4 hours in the bar afterwards with them, just giving us the "Munster" "Limerick" club gossip, as this case could have ramifications on every league and the Round Robin for the Junior Clubs, so they were obviously talking about it.

Very much depends on what way you are set up. Lot of clubs have no real intention of going up either players or club hierarchy are very happy to stay at level theyre at and a change wouldnt affect motivation at all and for some clubs who know theyre going to struggle knowing relegation is less likely then they may play more/be more motivated to prepare themselves better for the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CapableOfSayingAnything

I went to the game myself it was hugely physical, I thought Young Munster looked good value for their win, they played well into the wind and held onto the ball for long stretches. I think both teams will do well this season, Terenure have a very good pack although the lineout misfired somewhat.

The highlights for the 1A and 1B games going up on youtube is an excellent way of promoting the game.

The weeks break will be welcome by most teams. There are some great lineups the following week with Terenure against Tarf and Young Munster against Lansdowne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

It shouldn’t make for dead rubbers as whilst 1 up 1 down, there would still be play offs for the top 4 to decide who goes up and at the bottom 9th and 10th would have a two legged play off to decide who goes down.

Not ideal but I guess they had to have a back up plan in place before the season started as nobody knew what way things would pan out.

IRFU Covid committee to meet tomorrow apparently, hopefully confirmation will get out later in the week.

Thanks for clarifying. Thats better. when you said 1 up/1down initially i assumed straight with no playoffs. thats a bit better at least

I'd agree on that, similiar to our game v Lansdowne, just those big moments, the sort of 50/50s on who wins a turnover or not, Young Munsters did that.

Their pack is very well drilled. Lineout imploded, killed our momentum. But think both sides would be in the top 4 come end of season (least I hope so)

The Youngs Munster 15, think he is only a young lad, was excellent.

Ah ok, I assumed it was 1st goes up and last goes down.

Still think the existing format is the best, but least as you said, that is a bit better, albeit bit harsh if you come first or moreso just say its UCC or UCD come last and Ballinahinch 9th and there is a play off and UCC or UCD load up into next week on academy or pro players.

In my head, if you come last in a league, you go down.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is such nonsense. I don't mean you are talking nonsense, just the way its going to work.

Why not stick to the normal system? If anything the system above actually involves more games being played and just convolutes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

I wonder when/if UCD will move some of their top u20 players into the senior side which is struggling..

Will they? I doubt it. Theyve been beaten up a fair bit and i dont see adding a fair few u20s into set up will make things any better from that perspective.

Mangan & Maguire already with the senior squad

Post edited by Stainalert on

Mangan aswell.

Fionn Gibbons, Ben Brownlee, Conor OT all could come in and add to senior squad.

Garryowen Cashel senior cup semi final tonight in Dooradoyle

Dont think any other games on this weekend as most clubs take deserved rest weekend.

• Advertisement

Garryowen won 33-21 but made work very hard for that win with a few late scores sealing the win and it was a real missed opportunity for Cashel. Garryowen did rest a few players and it was only late on as Cashel tired that they pulled clear.

1A

BALLYNAHINCH v GARRYOWEN

CORK CONSTITUTION V DUBLIN UNIVERSITY

LANSDOWNE v YOUNG MUNSTER

TERENURE COLLEGE V CLONTARF

UCD V UCC

1B

MALONE V HIGHFIELD

NAAS V OLD WESLEY

NAVAN RFC V BANBRIDGE

SHANNON V OLD BELVEDERE

ST MARY'S COLLEGE V CITY OF ARMAGH

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭luke9311

Hinch

con

Lansdowne

tarf

close one but I’m taking UCC although I haven’t seen the ucd team there putting out so dunno if they have their academies or not

Highfield

wes

banbridge

Shannon

marys

Stainalert any thoughts on division 2? Could you list at least the fixtures if not predictions for some of those games.

Hopefully will be able to get to Nenagh Bohs tonight and depending on work tomorrow may try get in another game either Shannon, Crescent or Cashel games...

1A

Ballynahinch v Garryowen

Cork Con v Trinity

Lansdowne v Young Munster

Terenure v Clontarf

UCD v UCC

1B

Malone v Highfield

Naas v Old Wesley

Navan v Banbridge

Shannon v Old Belvedere

Marys v Armagh

2A

Tonight

Nenagh v UL Bohs

tomorrow

Cashel v Rainey

Dolphin v Ballymena

Barnhall v Queens

Crescent v Buccaneers

2B

Ballina v Greystones

Blackrock v Belfast Harlequins

Dungannon v Galwegians

Corinthians v Sligo

Malahide v Wanderers

2C

City of Derry v Bangor

Clonmel v Skerries

Midleton v Bruff

Omagh v Sundays Well

Tullamore v Enniscorthy

1A

BALLYNAHINCH v GARRYOWEN Garryowen to win well

CORK CONSTITUTION V DUBLIN UNIVERSITY - Think Con will finally get going

LANSDOWNE v YOUNG MUNSTER - Have lost our last 2 league games to Munsters ...

TERENURE COLLEGE V CLONTARF - I think Terenure will sneak this one

UCD V UCC - UCC to win out

1B

MALONE V HIGHFIELD - Highfield

NAAS V OLD WESLEY - Old Wesley

NAVAN RFC V BANBRIDGE - Banbridge

SHANNON V OLD BELVEDERE - Shannon

ST MARY'S COLLEGE V CITY OF ARMAGH - Marys

Peter Dooley and Jack Dunne the only senior contracted players ive seen named to be released so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Ulsters Rob lyttle and Dave O’Connor playing for banbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭ljsulster

Aaron sexton, Lewis Finlay, Angus Curtis and Gareth milasinovich all playing for malone

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Went to Nure/Tarf-very good game-Tarf well worth their win and dominated up front throughout especially at scrum time-Nure shipped a few injuries-Jordan Coughlan their standout player-he is very good at this level-Nure didnt offer much behind the scrum-standouts for Tarf were their back row of Tony Ryan Martin Maloney and Max Kearney-Maloney looks a very good prospect - Cormac Daly was very good as were Vak A and Dylan Donnellan who scored 3 tries-behind the scrum Michael Courtney was excellent at 13 as was Angus Lloyd at 9..The games I have seen so far have been high quality and have really been helped by the release of academy and dev players from the provinces..i really hope it continues!

• Advertisement

Would have to agree, very annoying loss. I thought Colm De Buitleir was good for us at 15. But Caolan Dooley at 10, he is a 12, killed us.

Tarf rolling maul was excellent.

Advertisement