Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Further additions are to be made to EI’s schedule ex-DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Philadelphia returning also that didn’t seem to be the plan until today. A lot of destinations and routes seem to be missing the likes of Alicante not being there is very strange ? It does say more will be announced later I guess.

quite a surprise how small the schedule is from cork only 6 destinations…

I guess they did say they plan to return to 90% of 2019 levels and that 10% cut will likely be in cork and Shannon to keep The Dublin Hub going.

I also don’t see Manchester to Boston maybe it isn’t going ahead ? I’m guessing the neo would be better use in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Great to see such an ambitious announcement. Most routes seem to be planned to operate at about the same levels as planned for 2020.

Especially good to see Marseilles, Milan Malpensa, Nantes, Pisa and Split back afer being suspended for the entire Pandemic period.

As others have said and as was stated in the press release more are to be added so that is positive.

Bourgas, I think, was missing from the published list and that is on sale at 6 per week so that seems like a definite commission.

Of the other ones that are missing when you look them up there seems to be 2 categories.

For Bologna, Catania, Montpellier, Perpignan and Pula it states that the schedule will be uploaded shortly so taking Aer Lingus at their word those routes should operate.

For Alicante, Budapest Rhodes and Santorini there is a different no flights available message. This does seem strange as all 4 of these destinations operated through the Pandemic with Rhodes and Santorini new and apparently popular. Alicante and Budaoest are both long standing routes and appear to have solid demand levels.

Interesting that Bristol, Edinburgh and Glasgow don't feature on the list and there are no flights loaded for these destinations. I assume taht bookings for UK destinations exceot LHR and maybe LGW with connections are made must closer to travel time so less need to have them finalised. Hopefully there will be profgress on the Emerald Airways situation by then. It is hard to see them walking away from those routes completely and i would be great to see some of the suspended UK routes back operating. Birmingham and Manchester both have 3 daily A320 services planned - morning, middle of the day and evening so a pretty competitive offering.

Any info on the plans for the veteran A321s 0 with such a schedule restoration you would think that they may need them back or will they be able to cover from reducing the aircraft in Cork and Shannon taking into consideration that there is an extra aircraft based in Belfast (for now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

When does the summer schedule kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Usually around the last weekend in March I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The winter and summer schedules kick in on the clock change weekends, i.e. the last Sundays of October and March.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

Ryanair have been taken a huge amount of market share from Dublin helped by Aer Lingus's much reduced schedule at the same time. But in fairness pre covid the Dublin base for Ryanair was the highest yield of all their airports per passenger so they are obviously protecting AND looking to increase their hold and hence profits too.

I'm fairly sure they'll be a new deal with the DAA soon as without Ryanair's traffic at the moment and certainly over the last few months Dublin would have been extremely quiet.

Decided to see how many aircraft are required for next years TA schedule since it was announced. All 8 A321NEOLR's required every day currently and 9 A330's required most days with 10 required on Saturdays. Incredible to think there will be 4 AC a day in JFK with 2 from DUB and one from both SNN and MAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

So 10 A330-300's and 2 on the UK reg and no spare A321's

So that leaves them very tight is a A321 goes tech

Is there a A330-200 to come back as cover in case something goes wrong, A330-200 are fitted for crew rest which is not in many of the -300's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

for the dub hub, there should really be a flight from dublin to cork in my opinion, even if it needs to be PSO on an atr etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

There were planned to be 16 or 17 A330s all in DUB pre COVID (4 or 5 -200s depending on whether EIEWR was always intended for scrap or not).

EIGAJ, EIGCF, EIEWR, EILAX, EIEIM, EIEIN, EIEIK, EIEIL, EIDUO, EIDAA, EIGEY, EIFNG, EIFNH, EIDUZ, EIEAV, EIELA, EIEDY

LAX is scrapped and DAA's fate is uncertain, she's fully owned. So that's down to 15 or 14. 2 have gone to MAN so that's down to 13 or 12. DUO was originally a leased bird IIRC (they may have bought it since) and is a newer build than DAA/LAX. GEY is unlikely to go as they acquired it what, 4 years ago?

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

17 rings a bell but I could be mistaken. EDY is missing off ya list and as you correctly stated is in MAN under a G reg at the mo.

Right you are, previous post amended accordingly.

Only one A330 is required for MAN for the summer as Barbados is only for the winter. I wonder if EIL / EIK and the -200s will make a return. If the likes of Newark, Toronto and Washington have higher bookings then the A321NEO can hold maybe they could be operated by the -200s returning. I’m sure extra A330s can be acquired fairly easily.

As regards picking up decent value A330s, for sure up to now but P2F A330 shops are popping up all over the place. The 767 feed stock is about used up, the A333 and A321ceo are looking like being the hottest airframes for conversion going forward. Low cycle airframes will be in high demand if the conversion shops and lessors are to be believed.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Could see Hartford returning, if the CT State Gov are that interested in wanting it back. EI can switch the 107 (On M-W-F-S) to an A333 and send an A321neo with 4 services per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I’d like to see Hartford return, there were a lot of naysayers when that route was launched and those who suggested Aer Lingus was only there for the incentives and would leave once they ended. The route was well on its way to proving its worth within the network when the pandemic struck so I think there’s potential for it in the longer term.

As stated there's up to 7 A330s unaccounted for in the summer schedule. Plenty of room to react to an increase in demand. Latest Eurocontrol predictions are we'll be back to 2019 traffic levels by summer 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A330-300

10 on EI reg DUZ/EAV/EIL/EIM/EIN/EIK/FNH/FNG/GAJ/GCF

2 on G reg EDY/ELA

A330-200

3 DUO/DAA/GEY

Total 15?

LAX/EWR are razor blades, DAA isn't much younger than LAX but LAX probably had more miles/cycles on her and battle damage from a few incidents but having to do a heavy check is probably not worth it for a single season so I'd expect it to make a trip to Knock. Good news is as LAX was owned outright there is a huge stock of spares if they were not sold off

Realistically they need a spare hull in DUB and MAN to ensure no hicups as the compensation/hire in costs would be painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

I've heard talk that LAX hasn't actually been scrapped at NOC yet, and is instead undergoing storage at that location pending a final order to scrap it for parts or hold on in case demand surges next summer, does anyone know if there's any truth to this rumor or have they already started tearing it up for parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Phen2206

Sadly that rumour seems untrue. This pic is from one month ago, her wifi dome has been sliced off and she has no engines. I don't think she will fly again 😔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bonkers that AL dont have Alicante on their summer schedule for next year, Ryanair are going to clean up. Ryanair at 2 DUB-ALC daily peak summer this year yet AL only flew a few times a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah agreed but as discussed there’s a handful of very popular sun routes they do well on not loaded yet so I don’t think the Euro schedule is complete yet

Sorry I was double counting EIK & EIL in my head. I thought there was 17 before LAX and EWR were scrapped.

There is definitely more routes to be added, the official statement said so. I would be shocked if Alicante was gone. Hopefully future announcements include the full schedule and more flights from Cork because the current selection is very poor.

”We are ramping up our short-haul capacity between now and Summer 2022, flying at least 50 European routes next summer. 41 routes will fly from Dublin - with more to be added in the coming weeks”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I could about 47 Short Haul on sale from Dublin currently.

Alicante is the lowest frequency Spanish route for Aer Lingus, always stronger for Ryanair. Its generally released later but they could easily drop it when reduced fleet is taken into account.

Budapest, treated the same as Warsaw during its dying days. Not sure its got much longer.

Rhodes and Santorini, I reckon only one will return along with Perpignan and Sicily but that's pure speculation on my part. Not going to be able to operate all pre-Covid short haul routes.

They could be holding back capacity to see what Emerald will do for 2022. Is there a final number on the short haul fleet for 2022?

Have to assume they intend to fly MAN-MCO 10/11 weekly next summer if they don't add a new route. Otherwise no point in keeping an A330 on the G reg doing nothing. That level of tech cover is poor deployment of assets. Returning it to EI reg would allow them cover both DUB/MAN operations for tec cover more efficiently if they don't want the -200s in service next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Aer Lingus UK is legally separate and of course is based in a non-EU country. I doubt it is as easy as it might seem to move aircraft back and forth for maximum operational efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Where is -DUO sleeping currently?

• Advertisement

Ryanair were hammered by the CAA because they had a single 737 on the G Reg for Ryanair UK and leased in everything else from mainline on the EI reg doing UK domestic ops. AFAIK it would be a different situation if say an EI reg airframe was dry leased in by EI-UK if something on the G reg went tech or other temporary shortfalls, even wet leasing should be OK, if it weren't BA, Virgin etc would never be allowed hire in Wamos, HiFly etc to help then out.

Advertisement