Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yeh, I don't hate the anime, I can appreciate it's well made but tonally it's just not really working for me. John Cho also just looks too old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have absolutely zero interest in the anima - just generally don't care for it TBH - but that live-action show looks like it could be a bit of fun. It's nice to see a show that might be happy to have "zany" adventures in space without the melodrama. As much as a love The Expanse (and I love The Expanse), Cowboy Bebop might be a good palette cleanser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Struggling through ‘Brand new Cherry flavor’, it’s a bit sh1te. Might give up on it after 4 episodes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Are you watching the anime in English or Japanese with subs? I watched a few episodes of the anime on the All4 catchup but the English dub put me off - it's not awful but it's not great either. I'll probably give it another go now it's in Netflix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Subbed! I'd actually started to watch it on Netflix a year or two ago, but it was removed when I was only two or three episodes in (awful timing). Then it popped up on All4 with dub-only, and I'm the sort of idiot who would rather not watch an anime show or film at all than watch it dubbed :P

At least Netflix had lined up the next episode I had to watch when it came back a few weeks ago 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

Thanks to everyone who recommended The Chestnut Man, wouldn't have watched it otherwise, started the first episode and before I knew it, it was 4am and Episode 4....

Really engrossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Motive (2021) Limited Series (Hebrew) In Jerusalem 1986, a 14-year-old boy shoots his family point-blank in their beds. Yet questions persist. In this docuseries, insiders come forward

Preso No. 1 Season 1 (Spanish) - When Mexico's president lands in jail following a false accusation, the controversy spurs an arduous fight for freedom and justice in a corrupt country

Added

Edit : i added in some netflix us additions earlier , i've taken them out now

Weekly Episodes Coming to Netflix UK in November 2021

N=Netflix original

• Riverdale (Season 6) N – New episodes are expected weekly from November 17th onwards.

November 1st

• Angry Birds (Season 4) – Animated series based on the video game franchise.
    • A Christmas Star (2015) – Christmas movie about a girl born with the magical ability to make people stop fighting.
    • A Time to Kill (1996) – Crime thriller from Joel Schumacher set in Canton, Mississippi about a young lawyer defending a black man accused of murder.

Argo (2012) – Biopic on an undercover agent posing as Hollywood producer scouting for a location to film in the hopes of rescuing 6 American hostages. Directed and starring Ben Affleck.

Elf Pets: Santa’s Reindeer Rescue (2018) – Animated Christmas movie about a litter of St. Bernard pups on a mission to bring the Christmas spirit.

Hapless (Season 1) – Channel 5 British sitcom about a journalist taking up a job at a small Jewish publication.

Inside The Mind (Limited Series) – A two-part documentary that looks into the inner workings of Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson.

My Best Friend’s Wedding (2016) – Chinese romantic comedy.

L.A. Confidential (1997) – Crime drama with a huge ensemble cast including Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce. Set in 1950s Los Angeles.

Point Break (1991) – Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze star in this crime thriller about an FBI agent going undercover.

Ransom (1996) – Ron Howard directs this crime thriller about a multi-millionaire son who has been kidnapped.

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles (2005) – A Japanese / Chinese drama about a father traveling to China to film a folk-opera singer.

Saawariya (2007) – Hindi movie.

Spookley and the Christmas Kittens (2019) – Animated short movie.

The Claus Family (2021) N – Matthias Timmermans directs this Dutch family fantasy set during the holiday season about a boy discovering his grandfather is Santa Claus.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) – A24 horror about a surgeon who is forced to sacrifice his life after his son starts to become sinister

November 2nd

Camp Confidential: America’s Secret Nazis (2021) N – Animated World War 2 documentary.

Hustlers (2019) – Crime drama inspired by a New York Magazine article. Starring Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu, Julia Stiles, and Mette Towley.

Ridley Jones (Season 2) N – Chris Nee’s animated kids series continuing Ridley’s journey to protect the Museum of Natural History.

November 3rd

Lords of Scam (2021) N – French documentary on the huge scandal that was the EU carbon quota scam which netted scammers millions.

Oga Bolaji (2018) – Nollywood drama.

The Harder They Fall (2021) N – Jeymes Samuel directs this Western with a huge ensemble cast including Idris Elba, Regina King, Jonathan Majors and more.

November 4th

Amina – Period drama set in 16th-century Zazzau.

Catching Killers (Season 1) N – Chilling docuseries that looks into infamous serial killer cases.

Jumanji: The Next Level (2019) – The second of the newly rebooted Jumanji series where the team return to rescue one of their own.

November 5th

8 Remains (2018) – Mystery thriller from Germany about a young woman finding herself jumping in and out of her own memories.

A Cop Movie (2021) N – Documentary about two professional actors undergoing an immersive process to find out what it takes to be a cop in Mexico City.

Big Mouth (Season 5) N – More inappropriate stories from the animated world of Big Mouth.

Glória (Season 1) N – Spies, lies and secrets flourish in Glória do Ribatejo, 1968, as a privileged Radio Free Europe engineer plays all the angles of Cold War Portugal.

I, Superbiker 5: Split Second (2015) – Documentary covering the 2014 British Superbike season.

Love Hard (2021) N – Romantic holiday drama about a girl who gets catfished around the holiday season.

Meenakshi Sundareshwar (2021) N – Hindi romantic comedy.

Narcos: Mexico (Season 3) N – The final season of the Mexican spin-off.

Saveart Recycling Art (2005) – Documentary exploring the SAVEART movement.

The Club (Part 1) N – Turkish period drama set in the 1950s about a mother with a troubled past working in a nightclub.

The Furies / Las furias (2016) – LGBTQ Spanish drama.

The Unlikely Murderer (Limited Series) N – Nordic true-crime series about the plot to murder the Swedish prime minister.

Yara (2021) N – Italian true-crime thriller about a prosecutor becoming consumed with a case about a missing 13-year-old girl.

We Couldn’t Become Adults (2021) N – Japanese drama.

November 6th

Arcane (Season 1) N – Animated series set in the video game world of League of Legends.

November 7th

Father Christmas Is Back (2021) N – British comedy movie set during Christmas and starring John Cleese, Elizabeth Hurley and Kelsey Grammar.

The Last Forest (2021) – Luiz Bolognesi documents the Indigenous community of the Yanomami.

November 9th

Swap Shop: Dash for Cash (Season 1) N – New treasure hunting reality series where the hosts score sweet deals on weird and wonderful objects.

The Curse of La Llorona (2019) – Horror starring Linda Cardellini about a social worker dealing with the disappearance of two children.

Your Life Is A Joke (Season 1) N – Oliver Polak roasts other celebrities.

November 10th

Animal (Season 1) N – Family nature docuseries with voiceovers from Bryan Cranston, Rashida Jones and Rebel Wilson.

Gentefied (Season 2) N – Continuation of the series following three cousins seeking out the American dream.

Passing (2021) N – Black and white film starring Ruth Negga and Tessa Thompson which sees the reunion of two high school friends who live entirely different lives.

November 11th

7 Prisoners (2021) N – Hoping for a good haul during the awards season is 7 Prisoners, a Brazillian drama about an 18-year-old accepting a job in a junkyard.

Love Never Lies (Season 1) N – Spanish reality series about six couples subjecting to lie detectors.

November 12th

Caught in the Act (1997) – Classic British comedy movie about three friends going on holiday who are then entered into a local talent show.

I Am (Not) a Monster (2019) – Documentary from Nelly Ben Hayoun hunting around the world looking to know how humans acquire knowledge.

Lies and Deceit (Season 1) N – Spanish thriller series about a teacher seeking justice against someone who date-raped her.

Red Notice (2021) N – An Interpol-issued Red Notice is a global alert to hunt and capture the world’s most wanted. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot.

Touch the Sound: A Sound Journey with Evelyn Glennie (2004) – Documentary that focuses on an almost deaf percussionist’s relationship with music.

Various European Titles Including:

Warrior Father King (2015)

Silent Comrade / Stiller Kamerad (2017)

De leeuw van Vlaanderen (1985)

November 15th

Kuroko’s Basketball: Last Game (2017) – Anime sports drama continuing on from the series.

November 16th

Hard Targets 2 (2016) – MMA action thriller about a former champion finds himself in a high-tech hunt.

Jarhead 3: The Siege (2016) – War drama from Universal Pictures about a group of Marines having to protect a US Embassy which is facing an imminent attack.

Johnny Test’s Ultimate Meatloaf Quest (2021) N – Kids animated interactive special.

Love Actually (2003) – The huge ensemble rom-com Christmas movie.

Miss Saigon: 25th Anniversary (2016) – A filmed production of the musical ‘Miss Saigon’ for its 25th anniversary.

Pokemon Detective Pikachu (2019) – The live-action comedy starring Justice Smith and Ryan Reynolds voicing the classic Pokemon character.

Siren (2016) – Horror thriller where a bachelor party becomes a fight for survival when a predator is unleashed on them.

Storybots: Laugh, Learn, Sing (Collection 1) N – Education kids animated series from Netflix’s Storybots IP.

November 17th

Christmas Flow (Season 1) N – French romantic comedy series.

Keeping Up with the Kardashians (Multiple Seasons) – More brain-numbing reality adventures.

Tear Along the Dotted Line (Season 1) N – Italian comedy series.

The Queen of Flow (Season 2) N – Colombian soap drama.

Tiger King (Season 2) N – More crazy antics with the Tiger King.

November 18th

Carlos Ballarta: False Prophet (2021) N – Mexican stand-up special.

Dogs in Space (Season 1) N – New animated series following genetically enhanced dogs looking for a new home in space.

Lead Me Home (2021) N – French thriller.

The Princess Switch 3: Romancing the Star (2021) N – Vanessa Hudgens reprises her three roles in the third entry in the Princess Switch franchise.

November 19th

Below Deck Mediterranean (Multiple seasons) – Reality series where you follow the crew of a yacht and the hijinx at sea.

Cowboy Bebop (Season 1) N – Live-action remake of the anime series.

Dhamaka (2021) N – Indian thriller about an ex-TV news anchor relegated to doing radio and has to find a way to stay relevant.

Hellbound (Season 1) N – South Korean supernatural series about people finding out when they die and when that time comes, they’re chased by death angels.

Procession (2021) N – Documentary about a group of survivors of sexual abuse battling the Catholic church for justice.

The Mind, Explained (Season 2) N – Documentary series from Vox once again diving into what makes our brains tick.

Tick, Tick… Boom! (2021) N – Musical directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and starring Andrew Garfield.

November 20th

Black Christmas (2019) – Horror from Sophia Takal about a group of female students stalked during the Christmas break.

Blown Away: Christmas (Season 1) N – Spin-off Christmas special holiday season of the glass blowing competition.

Blue Story (2019) – British crime drama from Rapman about a two young friends becoming rivals in a street war.

New World (Season 1 – New Episodes Weekly) N – Korean reality series.

November 21st

Undercover (Season 3) N – Dutch crime drama series returns for a third season.

November 22nd

Outlaws (2021) N – Netflix Original Film

November 23rd

Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Season 1 – Part 2) N – The second half of the controversial animated series.

Reasonable Doubt: A Tale of Two Kidnappings (2021) N – Documentary.

Waffles + Mochi’s Holiday Feast (2021) N – Christmas special for the Michelle Obama led series.

November 24th

Bruised (2021) N – Halle Berry directs and stars in this MMA movie where she plays a disgraced fighter looking to get back on top.

Robin Robin (2021) N – Aardman Animation (Wallace and Gromit studio) presents this Christmas stop-motion special.

Selling Sunset (Season 4) N – More reality TV from the crew selling the world’s most lavish homes.

True Story (Limited Series) N – Crime miniseries starring Kevin Hart and Wesley Snipes.

November 25th

F is for Family (Season 5) N – The final season of the adult animated series featuring the voice of Bill Burr.

Super Crooks (Season 1) N – Anime adaptation of the Millarworld comic.

November 26th

A Castle For Christmas (2021) N – Christmas movie about an author who travels to buy a castle and butts heads with the owner.

Dig Deeper: The Disappearance of Birgit Meier (2021) N – Crime documentary.

Light The Night (Season 1) N – Taiwanese mystery crime series.

Little Women (2019) – Greta Gerwig’s modern adaptation that scored an Oscar and sees Jo March reflecting back and forth on her life. Starring Emma Watson, Florence Pugh and Saoirse Ronan.

School of Chocolate (Season 1) N – New cooking reality series where 8 pastry and chocolate professions head to the school of chocolate to up their skills.

Spoiled Brats (2021) N – French comedy about three spoiled siblings forced to earn their living after their family goes bankrupt.

November 28th

Elves (Season 1) N – Danish horror Christmas series.

November 29th

14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible (2021) N – Fearless Nepali mountaineer Nimsdai Purja embarks on a seemingly impossible quest to summit all 14 of the world’s 8,000-meter peaks in seven months.

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't realise Hellbound and Cowboy Bebop are out the same day. Gonna be a busy weekend

• Advertisement

I watched Midsommer recently. I enjoyed it. There wasn't necessarily a twist but just an unwinding of events. Was laughing when I was on a date a while ago and brought it up and chatting about a scene in it with a bear and then somehow I ended up trailing off to a conversation about the film Society and I remember at one point explaining that a guy's head comes out of another guy's ass - I thinj that's what it was from memory 😂 he just said to me 'what do you be watching' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"I guess you're right. I am a butthead" Yeah it was Society

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Started watching 'You' last night. Is it worth sticking with?

I watched the first series and enjoyed it but stopped watching the second series a few episodes in and have no interest in going back to it.

Army of Thieves – In this prequel to Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead, small-town bank teller Dieter gets drawn into the adventure of a lifetime when a mysterious woman recruits him to join a crew of Interpol’s most wanted criminals, attempting to heist a sequence of legendary, impossible-to-crack safes across Europe.

Colin in Black and White: Season 1 – Some people play the game. Others change it. From Colin Kaepernick and Ava DuVernay, follow the path of one ordinary high school kid who became extraordinary. Jaden Michael stars as young Colin Kaepernick in Colin in Black & White.

Call My Agent Bollywood (2021) Season 1 (Hindi) - From pulling off casting coups to calming celebrity egos, the drama never stops for four Mumbai talent agents hustling to save their sinking company

The Time It Takes Season 1 (Spanish) Lina and Nico break up after many years together, and Lina struggles to find a new life and to think about him a little less each day.

She Got Game (Italian) - In this documentary, professional players in Italian women's basketball discuss femininity, gender stereotypes and challenges on and off the court.

Exploring The Snow - The Journey (Swedish) - Snowmobile riders take an epic journey into Japan's winter terrains, British Columbia's white-capped mountains and Norway's glacial wonders

V for Vendetta - In a near-future dystopian society, a masked anarchist fomenting a revolution recruits a TV network employee, while a detective seeks his true identity.

True Heroes Of Jamestown - This documentary analyzes the details surrounding the birth of the United States and the first Polish settlers to establish the colony of Jamestown.

Glastonbury: The Movie in Flashback (1995) -This documentary aims to capture the elusive spirit of the legendary British festival with a fresh take on footage from the 1993 Glastonbury.

Werewolves Of The Third Reich - A motley band of imprisoned American soldiers called the Fearless Four encounters the result of a fiendish Nazi experiment in this horror movie.

Hubert Butler: Witness To The Future - This documentary explores the life of the Irish essayist and human rights champion who helped smuggle Jewish people to Ireland before World War II.

47 Metres Down - With little oxygen left in their scuba tanks, two sisters are trapped in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean while great whites circle nearby

Luis Miguel - The Series Season 3 (Spanish) - This series dramatizes the life story of Mexican superstar singer Luis Miguel, who has captivated audiences in Latin America and beyond for decades

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no idea who Army of Thieves is supposed to be for, beyond more Content for Netflix; a prequel spin-off of a side character from a zombie movie ... featuring no zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Great to see V for Vendetta. Looking forward to watching .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's a blatant attempt to create a cinematic universe that absolutely nobody asked for

Probably Cloverfield is the closest example, except that didn't do it so blatantly and 2 of the 3 movies were very good films on their own merits

47 metres down is definitely the next thing I'm watching on Netflix

At least Cloverfield kept things fairly disconnected, more like a series of anthologies than this weird àss prequel idea. 10 Cloverfield Lane only got the moniker at the last minute but was an unrelated script for most of its life. I wonder did Army of the Dead even qualify as a success for Netflix in the first place!

• Advertisement

They must have almost finished making the prequel before army of the dead came out cause it wasn't that long ago. Pretty awful movie with so many plot holes. I have zero interest in the new film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Even if Army of the Dead was the biggest smash hit of the year, who the hell even cares about a pre-zombie prequel heist movie involving a side character? Such a bizarre decision.

I like Army of the Dead. It was tons of fun even if it was dumb. But Army of Thieves, zero interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The 5th of November would be most apt to do so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

So...

While I don't know who it's for, I'm cautiously willing to maybe watch it of a Friday with some beers (maybe after a week or two for reviews to determine if it has managed an AotD level of befouling the bed and immediate environs) on the basis that this one might actually be a passable heist film. But, uh, we'll see. Plenty of known-good films on offer that are further up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks.

Wasn't totally sold on the first episode but will give it another few episodes to see if its worth committing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think You is brilliant but it only gets more absurd and ridiculous as it goes on. If you buy into that, it's great fluff and the guy who plays Joe is fantastic. It's not entirely unlike Dexter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You - enjoyable enough but it gets a bit repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You is objectively terrible, it gets more farcical as it goes on and I guess it is slightly repetitive too I too find it enjoyable though.

I wouldn't compare it to Dexter at all that had a wealth of characters and was a serious show until they blew it all late on. You know early on 'You' is not a show to be taken seriously when Dexter went down that road of terrible it wasn't even enjoyable just embarrassing really.

If you can't embrace the preposterous 'You' is not recommended ha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You is absolutely terrible. I gave up midway through season 2.

• Advertisement

No bother.

First series is definitely worth the watch but series two is really poor. I think I read at the time it was made by different people for series two or different writers or something. Can't remember rightly.

Advertisement