Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I saw that alright, pretty much what I want and around the right money. But just a bit early for me. Hopefully similar is available after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's very hard to predict the market and every single Model S in Ireland from before 2017 was imported second hand into Ireland from the UK, which is no longer viable, except from NI and I'm sure there will be some for sale for reasonable money from there next year

The one thing that will almost certainly help your case is that the earliest cars will be coming out of full bumper to bumper warranty and / or out of battery warranty next year and that might well scare some current owners into selling them

Are you ready to buy an out of warranty Tesla Model S though? 😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Really good video on the evolution of the Model S door handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

my DRL have failed on the offside just across the top, does anyone have a nearside light cluster that has failed across the top that they would be interested in selling ( or donating ? 😁 ) so i can "match" the lights - 2017 MS Facelift

Warranty?

this is a known fail point on the refresh headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Mine have been replaced three times I think..(now out of warranty too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

I don't think we're are the stage where we've indi garages for Tesla servicing right?

All my break pads and disks need replacing and I got a quote from Tesla for 2 grand!!!

I don't think there's any alternative tho right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Surely a decent independent garage could do this cheaper? Buy the parts yourself and get a good local lad to do it.

Any garage can do pads and disks. Or tyres, or brake fluid, or suspension, pollen filters, 12V battery, wipers, or pretty much anything common to all cars really

And there are more and more indy EV shops that will take on any drivetrain / battery problem too. I'm confident that once my Tesla Model S runs out of warranty, I never have to go to Tesla Sandyford again for any work...

• Advertisement

Any Indy can do it. You just need one that doesn’t sh1t their pants when you mention Tesla!

under there is all the same as any other car, there’s a few joints that are a nuisance, as in battery removal to get at the bolts nuisance but most of the wear and tear stuff are from other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Question on which Tesla to buy

1. A 162 (September) Tesla S 70 (Option to upgrade to 75) with free supercharging for life - 46k
    2. A 181 (January) Tesla S 75D with sunroof - 53k

Which would you go for and why?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

For 7k or about 15% more you are getting 20km more range, dual motor and 1 year 4 months more warranty.

Yep - struggling to determine if it's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Are there any other differences?

Are you sure the 181 has sunroof and not glass roof? I think the panoramic sunroof was discontinued in 2017.

Think it's the glass roof actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I'm not sure if the 162 has the new seats, which I think are more comfortable. If it does I would be inclined to go with the 162.

They're both decent value. The dual motor is quicker, but less fun to drive, but that's a personal preference, I don't really like AWD cars. Unless you are planning to do many major continental European road trips, the free supercharging isn't worth all that much

All things considered, the 181 is still under general warranty for a few months and has longer remaining battery warranty, that would swing it for me

162 should be next Gen seats considering my 161 has them.

the 75D would be the faster car technically but not a lot in it in real life.

it would come down to colour, condition etc

free supercharging is a great thing to have but you may very rarely use it. I’ve used it twice in my 2 years of Tesla ownership. And that was on the same trip!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla have always been making incremental build quality improvements so another vote for the newer build.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. Still not sure if I can stomach the extra 7k for an additional 15 months battery warranty and sunroof (It is panoramic sunroof not glass roof). Although a replacement battery is 20k so I guess that peace of mind is worth paying for.

Also worth mentioning that 181 has 120k km and the 162 has 60k km. If that changes any views!

That mileage shifts my view more towards the 162 though not by much. I have a 161 S70 with free SuC and connectivity. I think my 161 has next gen seats in the front only. And there have been next next gen seats since then.

Also - and this is no comfort to you @russelldlee - a bit flabbergasted at how much Brexit has affected prices. I got mine a year ago for well over 10k less.

Post edited by garo on

Also worth mentioning that the 162 is the facelift model.

You got your 161 for less than 36k? That's pretty amazing. Don't ever remember them going for that cheap. I guess the only comfort I have is that I'm getting 32k for a petrol car I bought for 35k in 2019.

Pre-COVID. Pretty much all our Model S that we brought in from the UK ourselves last year are now worth more than we paid for them.

Yep a good bit less than that inclusive of VRT and transport from the UK. Not as good as Unkel's deal but still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good Lord.

That car had 6k+ of maintenance and repairs at Tesla just before you bought it. That would bring the bill to 8k in (just) less than a year. Tell that one to people who say EVs dont need maintenance!

You could bring it to anyone to do pads and disks. I would ask in the facebook group for specific reccomendations. I know my local mechanic would not do any work on the tesla other than a puncture repair. I even had to twist their arm to do a service on a rough idling prius because of the HEV issue.

You're a bit economical with the truth 😂

A good chunk of that was a computer upgrade that gives you Netflix and faster internet, but in no way required. And you could have easily saved 50% of the rest of the bill by going indy. I mean, who gets expensive tyres fitted at a main dealer? Only if you have loads of money and very little time would that be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The tires were only 10% more expensive than oponeo etc

MCU2 was absolutely needed as they wouldnt accept my request for warranty on a failing mcu1

• Registered Users Posts: 23 orin_jj

Hi all

First time poster 👋 Long time Tesla forum reader ;)

I currently have a Tesla SR+ on order.

However, I keep coming back to the MS and every time I see it on the road it just stands out to me, and I quite like the rareness of them, especially here.

So I'm torn on what to do.... stick with my M3 order, which I'm excited about, or make a last minute change and go for the MS.

Something like this (which I'm aware will incur a VRT charge of ~3k). Some of the MS available over here seem a little too pricey for me, like this

The price of MSs are at a premium no doubt. Kicking myself I didn't act before Brexit... but it is what it is.

Ultimately I know its me that has to make the decision, but looking for some advice on the options. For example specifically on the tech, would there be much of a difference between a new M3 and a 2018 MS relating to:

• Screen and driving experience
    • Cameras
    • Future software compatibility
    • Is Enhanced Auto pilot an addition I can purchase for the MS

Any other nuggets of advice would be appreciated.

First world problems I know.... (which Tesla should I buy!)... but any feedback more than welcome.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I had a 2018 model S 75d for 18 months, I then had an Etron and now have a 3 SR on order. There’s no value to be had in the secondhand S market today where as the SR seems to be great value considering Gov grant, warranty, potential new battery capacity, heat pump, better build of Chinese cars etc.

If you’re doing a lot of motorway driving the S will be more comfortable otherwise I’d stick with the SR

Advertisement