Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black History Month Ireland, why?

Options

Comments

Japan, as part of their initial economic recovery, went the way of cheap manufacturing goods, and gradually moved into high quality products. Most of their manufacturing centers were originally created to produce cheap products to sell to S.Korea and similar emerging markets in Asia and Africa. They upgraded to car manufacturing and then better quality products to take advantage of the US's own decline in manufacturing of similar product lines.

The foundation for Japan being held up as a leader in management theory was started around the same time as their switch to higher quality products, but many of the Japanese theorists had worked for both type of companies, which is why their theories appealed so much in America, who had both kinds of product manufacturing lines.

S.Korea went the same way, initially focused on low quality manufacturing and switching to the more expensive products once the framework was in place... China has tried to remain involved in both kinds of manufacturing, but that's more to do with the costs involved in upgrading such a wide network and educating such a large workforce effectively. Which they've mostly failed to do except in some industries.

So, yeah.. in the 50s/60s Japan would have had a rep for shoddy products. (depended on the industry.. as has been said their electronics were always considered top quality)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well that's what I heard 60's early 70's. It changed as the 70's went on but Datsuns were not highly regarded at all pre mid 70's. Tinny rust prone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭archfi

Same here.

I can't remeber Made in Japan being considered tat. 70s onwards anyways

Made in China was extremely rare, if it existed at all

Hong Kong and Taiwan were the cheap tatty ones.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Surely the fact that the people being celebrated were/are Irish is more relevant than their skin colour.

Pointing out their "difference" is just saying they're "not really" Irish.

Anything that draws attention to frankly unimportant issues like skin colour (we're all equal in the eyes of any rational person) isn't a worthwhile endeavor and the knots some people tie themselves into defending this as a concept never ceases to amaze.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With anything like that they have to edit and simplify, but it's pretty accurate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If we are all equal, then there are fewer crusades to follow, and agendas to fight for. Less reasons to feel special for something someone is born into, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Holding a view that black culture is negative is not the same as saying we are all equal how do you marry these two beliefs you have?

Not all well intentioned ideas are good in practice. Identity politics can --and often does-- end in disillusionment, disunity and ultimately, segregation... segregation enforced by those who steal the thunder of people that actually fought against segregation and institutional and legalistic racism.

IMO, Identity politics is for kids and underdeveloped adults who think in oversimplistic categories because they lack the intelligence/experience to know that no two people are alike. Granted, it is less taxing to think in general terms using categories like 'black' 'white' 'latino' 'muslim' etc. but it is incredibly vulgar and massively dehumanizing.

Separately, RTE website content such as their 'Climate' section and 'Black History Month' isn't aimed at adults. It is aimed at children. It's silly to get overly annoyed by it, just as it is silly to get over exerted about Greta Thunberg (similarly, her spiel is aimed at kids, not at adults).

Apropos of feck all, It isn't just Ireland that has absorbed irrelevant US discourse around race. A lot of Africans have absorbed US culture too! This has a lot to do with our entrapment in the Anglospherical language bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Everlong1

A glance at the weekly headlines will tell you that a certain ethnic minority I'm not allowed to name have that market cornered.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Won’t be long now until RTÉ are producing documentaries with a black lad with dreadlocks defending the GPO from the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Welcome to inclusive history, yeah we know who was and who wasn't there but that won't stop people telling us that there should be adding others to make them feel included in Irish history ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,334 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In Ireland? I dunno.

Were we even that big a consumer of Japanese goods in the post war period?

In America for sure there was a lot of anti Japanese sentiment both before, during and after the war. But here? I'd be hard pressed to even name a single commodity that would have been sold regularly in Ireland that was made in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It's bollo5ksology of the highest order and my licence fee going towards this carp.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

MLK was idealistic, but also pragmatic and mostly moderate about how to achieve his goals. He understood that African-Americans were less than 12% of the US population (at the time), and that the best outcome for them was to achieve equality in the US, alongside all other Americans. He knew that to do this, he couldnt simply get on a public platform and start making angry demands. He might be right, be he wouldn't get anywhere. Instead he built up a coalition of all kinds of Americans. He explained in moderate language what the injustices facing African-Americans were, convinced the majority of righteousness and the urgency of his cause. And the created a path the remedy these issues. What does he have to show for his efforts? All the civil rights legislation of the 1960s.

Its true that he's less exciting than Malcolm X. But what are criteria for greatness here?

Malcolm X entered public life after joining the Nation of Islam. Still a rather odd group. They have a racist founding belief that the original people of the world were created "black". But that a black scientist Yacub who lived 6,600 years ago began the creation of the white race/white people. He is said to have done this through a form of selective breeding referred to as "grafting". The brutal conditions of their creation explains the inherent evil of "white" people. During most of his time with the Nation, Malcolm X preached this doctrine of Black Supremacy, "white devils" etc.

The Nation believes we are living in "end times", and they will be rescued by a Mothership when the Apocalypse happens.

What we know of as the "civil rights" movement was hugely involved in restoring and protecting the voting rights of African-Americans, but the Nation forbade its members from voting.

They preached self-sufficiency and being "separate". In 1961, the Nation invited the leadership of the American Nazi Party to one of their rallies. The idea was that Nazis and Black Muslims could be allies since they both sought the same goal—separation of the races. At this rally, Malcolm delivered a talk entitled “Separation or Death”. “Muslims are not for integration and not for segregation, Separation!”. The Nation met with the KKK for the same reason around that time.

George Lincoln Rockwell and members of the American Nazi Party attend a Nation of Islam summit, 1961 - Rare Historical Photos

Around 1963 Malcolm became disillusioned with the Nation. He could see its divergence from mainstream Sunni Islam. He became aware of its leaders (elijah muhammed) affairs with young women, etc, etc. in 1964 broke with the Nation, and advised African Americans to vote, he moved towards sunni islam. He made a pilgrimage to Mecca, seeing Muslims of "all colors, from blue-eyed blonds to black-skinned Africans," interacting as equals led him to see Islam as a means by which racial problems could be overcome. Then in Feb 1965, he was assasinated. Most likely by the Nation of Islam.

So what did he achieve? Promoting a message of "empowerment" perhaps. But he was dead two years after having a massive change of direction on so many issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Malcolm X entered public life after joining the Nation of Islam. Still a rather odd group

Odd is being kind D. 😁 Black scientology would be closer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

That's about right. It was mainly Japanese tin toys and similar knick nacks, a few small tinny transistor radios too. I knew people that for years wouldn't touch a 'Jap' car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Unsurprisingly, I'd argue the complete opposite. Trying to ignore differences, like race by claiming to 'not see colour', is the much more simplistic and childish way of looking at the world.

It is really the type of comment you expect from an insulated child, who hasn’t seen the world outside of their safe bubble. Even in the extremely unlikely situation where you truly see everyone as equal, the perspective only holds up if you again take the childlike view that everyone else in the world sees things the same as you and also doesn’t see and act on differences – which we know for a fact isn’t true due to the many examples of racism, sexism etc. 

By trying to push your narrative you ignore the experiences of those who have and are treated negatively due to their differences, in the case of race where these negative impacts can be seen generation after generation. The view also shows the lack of self awareness and arrogance seen in a lot of teenagers who are repulsed when it is pointed out that maybe they were put in a position where it was easier for them to succeed than others.

This strawman gets trotted out over and over on these threads, I haven't seen one poster who believes this:

There are a lot of posters who seem to believe that Black (or insert disadvantaged racial group) can't do any wrong, can't ever be held responsible even slightly for their present circumstances, and will flat out refuse to recognise the racism that goes on by that group towards others.

Don't worry I won't send you into another tailspin by repeating your own tactic of requesting multiple examples 😂

Time and again in these threads examples of elements of those communities doing something bad and every time I've seen posters say 'they should be charged' or the like. Ironically, it is usually those who consistently complain about these minority communities who end up twisting themselves in knots trying to defend those who break the law, like the many, many instances of cops breaking the law caught on tape and even after they are found guilty in court.

A bizarre misconstrual of my post. I said nothing about trying to ignore differences. In fact, by claiming primacy for the individual (and not for the group identity) I am arguing that we pay more attention.. to the details --the important details mind, not skin colour, astrological sign or curliness of hair-- that makes a person an individual and pay less attention to practically meaningless categories such as 'black people' or 'white people.' Neither did I say anything about equality. It's the categorization of huge groups of people under over simplistic banners that I object to.

This strawman gets trotted out over and over on these threads, I haven't seen one poster who believes this

Oddly enough I don't care all that much as you made claims about the rampant ignorance of posters on the thread and nothing came of it beyond your repeated belief. That you haven't seen or have seen something doesn't change my opinion even slightly.

Don't worry I won't send you into another tailspin by repeating your own tactic of requesting multiple examples

Except I didn't make any accusations about posters on the thread. I responded to your own general observation with one of my own. Hence my quoting you, and responding directly to what I quoted. You really should try it sometime.. sticking to the quoted piece as a solid basis for a response.

Time and again in these threads examples of elements of those communities doing something bad and every time I've seen posters say 'they should be charged' or the like. Ironically, it is usually those who consistently complain about these minority communities who end up twisting themselves in knots trying to defend those who break the law, like the many, many instances of cops breaking the law caught on tape and even after they are found guilty in court.

How wonderfully irrelevant to what I said, or the context of my response to you. Still, that's hardly a surprise considering the manner of your previous responses to me.

Look. I'm done chasing you around in circles because there is absolutely no value in doing so. Won't be doing it anymore.

The fact that you seem to believe your post has nothing to do with equality is very telling. Nearly all evidence says that race isn't 'practically meaningless' in the outcomes for generations of people across the world.

Again, even if you truly only pay attention to the individual for your approach to work you have to take the sheltered, childish opinion that everyone sees the world and acts as you do - which they clearly do not. There is no way to deal with racism today, ignoring historical racism impacting people today, by looking at each individual, all you're giving yourself is an excuse to put your head in the sand to the facts of the world we are living.

In your previous post you said:

"There are a lot posters...

And when I called you out on it you now claim:

"I didn't make any accusations against posters..."

🤣

Refuting the allegation in your post and pointing out the irony that you have it completely backwards and it is actually those who love to pick on minority communities here that are usually the culprits of defending the criminals is very relevant.

Glad you're done chasing as you've tied yourself in a laughable knot here.

Your thinking seems a bit tangled here. Discriminatory laws, such as apartheid, are put in place when the powers that be emphasize vulgar differences such as race, instead of treating people as individuals and on the basis of important (not trivial) qualities.

The only thing more absurd and offensive is people who give their individuality away by thinking of themselves in childish, oversimplistic categories.

Nope, not tangled at all. I live in the real world, while you seem to believe that once you get past overt laws that are discriminatory, like apartheid, there is an end of racism and you can ignore trends and just look at individuals - which is far more of a childish view than anything you called out other for earlier.

Yes, there was/are some clearly racist laws but racism goes far beyond that - pretending racism doesn't exist when those overt laws do not exit is living in a simplistic childlike fantasy land, where your claim to care for individuals trumps human nature.

Extremely tangled. Like an army of straw men trying to conquer a distant windmill.

Who is pretending racism doesn't exist? Racism is born out of exactly your type of fixation on superficial qualities. This is the common ground you share with racists. Well done. :)

You also seem to be proposing that racist thinking is combatted by racist thinking. However well intentioned, however comprehensible, it's vulgar in the extreme. I'll stick to using people's names and treating them as individuals and you keep subsuming and gathering individuals on the basis of whatever superficial quality you deem sufficient.

ooh wait. The 'real world' argument. Dang it. You must be right :D

• Advertisement

How do you believe race is 'practically meaningless' while also seeing racism existing? Race is either meaningful in how people are treated and unfortunately racism exists or it race is meaningless and people do not experience racism.

You seem to love the word 'vulgar' and a good example is someone trying to sound intellectual and announcing to people who experience racism that race is 'practically meaningless' them.

As it seems surprising to you - yes, I am proposing tackling racism by supporting those who experience racism. If you aren't pretending racism doesn't exist, you're going about solving it in a the most futile fashion by trying to assess and support people who aren't in a position to be discriminated against due to race.

Your posts stink of the childish 'what about me, give me attention too' mentality that brought us the All Lives Matter nonsense.

Advertisement