Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im doing some work for a government sponsored "think tank" as they like to call themsleves, who are at this very moment tasked with coming up with ideas to tax electric cars. The front runner at the moment is that the car reports remotely the kwh used and you pay tax on that. Next to that is that you report them yourself every year or when you get your NCT and that adjusts your tax rate for the following year. There are a few ideas. But I think the car reporting power usage will be the one. It will happen. Enjoy the cheap electricity for your EV now, because when the tipping point comes then in come the tax. Going to be some shock for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Ironically a lot of kids wont get born because families can't afford to have them with the cost of living and especially housing going through the roof, maybe that's the Green's plan all along!

Going to be some craic when all the young Greenies grow up paying massive amounts of tax into a pension age time bomb of reduced immigration and births due to the cost of living in Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"I'm doing some work for a government sponsored think tank..."

Sure you are, chief ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Lots of people that consider themselves ‘green’ are still planning a foreign holiday, further than before too if they saved during lockdown. It would be interesting to go through the protesters social media and see which have and still are holidaying abroad.

I’m sure it’s the same in this thread too. Unless you are willing to make the change yourself then you can’t expect others to make major lifestyle changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The greens are far too weded to a middle class consumerist mindset to ever make real changes. Their

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i hope it's a PHEV tank too, tanks are thirsty on the diesel.

Sound more glamorous than it is now that I read it :)

But fire away if you think they arent looking at ways to tax EVs

Yeah its like tax. People want tax increased for those who earn more than them.

Its the same with asking people to cut back. For example you would have someone who cant afford to fly 4 times a year moaning that someone else should pay more tax or be stopped flying 4 times a year. Whe they do reach a stage that they can afford to fly 4 times a year they will be flying 4 times a year and moaning about the tax on it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well at least it is not like the states where you have plonkers joining Republican party and voting for likes of Trump because they will offer tax breaks to the very rich, even thought said plonker hasn't two dimes to rub together as he sits on his porch looking at the growing unusable car collection in the front garden. 🙄

They still believe in the American Dream and reckon they will be one of the rich ones soon.

Almost like Del boys reckoning they will millionaires this time next year.

We on the other hand are fooking cynical and know damn well we won't be one of those rich ones.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh that's nice that you can just manifest these green people going on holidays into existence. I suppose they live on a diet of almond milk and avocados flown in from Peru too?

• Advertisement

Oh that's nice that you can just manifest these green people going on holidays into existence. I suppose they live on a diet of almond milk and avocados flown in from Peru too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

We don't have the tech to completely replace it. We do absolutely have the tech to stop/reverse climate change.

Solar/Nuclear* combined with Storage either batteries or pumped-storage hydroelectricity

I'd have an electric car/motorcycle if I could afford one. I genuinely would. (An electric motorcycle is about €28,000 though, the equivalent petrol powered machine is around €15,000)

As I said, I'd have my south facing roof covered in solar if it wasn't so fricken expensive.

These things are expensive as there are lots of middle men trying t make a quick buck off it.

Obviously there are some things like large cargo ships that will need to run on fossil fuel put perhaps they could run on petrol in the years to come as opposed to fuel oil (once most of the worlds cars move to electric) Ironically large cargo ships used to be power by wind and sail 100's of years ago

* Note: I do not think Ireland should use Nuclear power not because I'm against it, but because the average Irish person is very complacent. We'd defo end up with a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Maintenance costs will rise as battery warranty will be dependent on dealer service history,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Be careful what you wish for as regards air travel.

As an island nation with a long history of emigration we have a good reason to maintain connectivity.

Also our tourist industry relies heavily on air transport.

The leader of ER is a former world traveler.

Greta Thurnburg is travelling to all these climate conferences like all the others instead of using video conferencing.

One of the Milibands was in the news this week discussing his New York ‘green’ job yet said since lockdown he misses flying back to the UK every year.

Another green poster (I won’t name them) in a different thread, said they only travel every few years and stays longer.

If you’re really a die hard believer you can’t travel by air again. The biggest factor in carbon footprints is air travel. I’m seeing lots of lip service from people that say they are green then hop off their bike and fly half way across the planet. It’s ridiculous stuff.

I'm pretty sure Greta doesn't fly? Are you suggesting people need to stay within a certain KM radius to be taken seriously even if they travel by bus or rail? People need to travel, people need to cut down on air travel too. Some important people like world leaders will always need to fly.

Where are all these people who hop off their bikes and fly across the planet? You know people like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Jaysus, your view of irish people is depressing. You think there is an inherent issue with our genetics or culture that means we cannot be trusted with high risk projects? I have worked with Irish people who are responsible for trading or portfolio management with billions AUM. That's just me, I am sure you will find irish people in positions of responsibility for medical care, military, running multi billion dollar airlines etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a small number already work for nuclear in foreign countries. There is nothing inherently risky about irish people. Furthermore, in an industry like nuclear, there is no room for risk anyway, everything is so procedural, only purposeful negligence at more than one level of management could lead to a disaster. That or some external force like natural disaster.

Walk the walk if you talk the talk. You can video conference for most of this stuff. Lead by example if you want others to change.

It's the biggest conference on Climate Change in years, it's pivotal to our existence, people need to be there in person. I'm glad there are people out there like yourself who refuse to fly though, it's a growing movement.

I’m not a green zealot, and not particularly fond of flying.

As the biggest green conference in years it was a great opportunity to show alternatives. It simply raises the question as why these green conferences are not video conferences. Not just this one but any of the others. Even more so those organised by climate change activists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its pivotal to our existence in that this nonsense is going to make some people very rich while driving the wests economies into the ground

But in the greenies hearts of hearts they want that to happen. A suicide cult

The way we live now is a suicide cult, Green movements are trying to change that. Modern economy's only aim is growth growth growth without taking the things we need to live into consideration - air, food, soil, water.

People who think we can carry on living the destructive lives we do, without being inconvenienced at all, must be missing a part of their brain or something, I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You realise that your suicide cult does not exist outside of the west? China, Asia, India, South America will not follow your heroic lead and **** themselves over the cliff edge to drop the temperature a few degrees.

So what you're saying is we should carry on as is as we are all f*cked anyway? That sounds suicidal to me alright.

Just on the COP Conference I saw on the news last night there is a woman in Dingle driving to it in an electric car to demonstrate the ability of an EV for long journeys. I'd be interested to see how that works out.

Also there was a group of Germans in Manchester last night on their way to the conference by bicycle. They came over on the ferry a couple of days ago.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's in Glasgow, isn't it? It's hardly noteworthy to drive an electric car that far.

Fair old spin all the same from Dingle.

It's some sort of pr. job by SEAI and the ESB.

I suppose they are trying to counter range anxiety worries.

Not really. I know people who've driven electric cars from Ireland to the South of France. And they weren't even trying to make any big point. They were just going on holiers.

Yes I know it's not exactly ground breaking but if they use it to show that you can go from Dingle to Glasgow and back without too much hassle it may be a useful exercise.

Of course a lot depends on the use they make of it in pr. afterwards.

• Advertisement

It's pretty crappy PR in fairness, essentially stating the obvious.

Advertisement