Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel shed

Options
  • 23-05-2020 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking into buying a steel shed from sheds direct. The colossus @ 10ftx 12ft.
    The size suits and the price is decent at about 800 euro.
    There’s no window though which is stopping me from being 100% about the purchase.
    I’ve checked out a few competitors and they seem to be much dearer, am I buying an inferior product? Has anyone any experience with this particular shed?
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Tom I bought one that size last year from Steeltech. Very pleased with it. Dry as a bone and not a shake in any sort of weather.

It has a large double glazed opening window, anti drip lining on the walls, and a perspex skylight. It was just over 2K.

I've no experience of Sheds Direct but 800 does sound very reasonable. Have you seen one of these sheds installed? Do they install it or is it DIY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Purgative wrote: »
    Tom I bought one that size last year from Steeltech. Very pleased with it. Dry as a bone and not a shake in any sort of weather.

It has a large double glazed opening window, anti drip lining on the walls, and a perspex skylight. It was just over 2K.

I've no experience of Sheds Direct but 800 does sound very reasonable. Have you seen one of these sheds installed? Do they install it or is it DIY?

The 800 is supplied only. I have to put in a concrete base and then build the shed.
    Was that 2k supplied and fitted, or flat pack?
    I haven’t seen there products in the flesh yet only online so I’m wondering is it too good to be true.
    I might investigate steel tech alright.

GinSoaked wrote: »

Yeah I’m thinking that alright. The sheds going to be there for a long time so I want something decent.

tom1ie wrote: »
    The 800 is supplied only. I have to put in a concrete base and then build the shed.
    Was that 2k supplied and fitted, or flat pack?
    I haven’t seen there products in the flesh yet only online so I’m wondering is it too good to be true.
    I might investigate steel tech alright.

Supplied and fitted. We did the base and three lads turned up about 11:00, gone by 14:00.

Steeltech have showrooms around the country - we want to Tuam. They'll either have what you're looking at or very similar. There's options for doors, windows, shelving, insulation ....

No complaints from us - in fact just after it was up, the Mrs (who had shown no interest up to this point) said "Oh this is lovely I could have as a pilates studio".

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah I’m thinking that alright. The sheds going to be there for a long time so I want something decent.

Before the Steeltech shed we had a cheap thin one from Argos. In the end the only thing keeping it up was the wooden frame I'd had to build inside over the years. It was grief from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Don't skimp on a shed.

Get the best you possibly can.

Them €800 are junk And you have to assemble. 0.33mm? That's paper thin.

Steeltech are well worth it.

The base is straightforward enough to do (or pay someone to lay it for you well in advance of the shed being delivered and erected.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Steeltech, Shanette, C&S sheds all do good quality that will last.

Supplied and fitted. We did the base and three lads turned up about 11:00, gone by 14:00.

Steeltech have showrooms around the country - we want to Tuam. They'll either have what you're looking at or very similar. There's options for doors, windows, shelving, insulation ....

No complaints from us - in fact just after it was up, the Mrs (who had shown no interest up to this point) said "Oh this is lovely I could have as a pilates studio".

Lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any opinions on Adman sheds, sold through Woodies?

https://www.admansteelsheds.ie/

I see a shed for 1,899, size 2.44m x 3.1m (8’ X 10’)

https://www.admansteelsheds.ie/doc/multistore-pdf-doc/?wall=1&roof=1

Steeltech charge 1490 for a Classic, or 1950 for a Supreme, but also 650 for a concrete base.

https://www.steeltechsheds.ie/products/steel-sheds/

I welcome any comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm in the middle of a steeltech shed delivery. All good so far, the inside floor still to be poured.

I've a sliding door. So, a word of advice is to do your homework on what lock you'll get for that, some might not fit.

Also, once It's finished, I've to figure out constructing a wooden frame inside to make shelves, and hanging stuff far easier than having to drill trough the frame every time.

Edit: you can get fitted shelves supplied from steeltech, but I didn't think they were deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭daveyb2

Interested in further info on this topic too if you managed to get any info on comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Roughly how long is the wait for a Steel Tech shed to be assembled? I was speaking to a rep on the phone and said it can be up to 10 weeks.

Just wondering is this a under promise over deliver type scenario or could I really be looking at 2 1/2 months before they come out? Base is ready for them.

joe123 wrote: »
    Roughly how long is the wait for a Steel Tech shed to be assembled? I was speaking to a rep on the phone and said it can be up to 10 weeks.

Just wondering is this a under promise over deliver type scenario or could I really be looking at 2 1/2 months before they come out? Base is ready for them.
    I think we waited 8 to 10 weeks.

Yes, it probably works out that long at the end. The fella to do the 1st pour took ages to arrive out. He was short handed.
    The lads to assemble the shed were out a week or so later, and put it up in 30mins.
    The first fella is due out roughly 3 weeks after assembly to finish the pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yes, it probably works out that long at the end. The fella to do the 1st pour took ages to arrive out. He was short handed.
    The lads to assemble the shed were out a week or so later, and put it up in 30mins.
    The first fella is due out roughly 3 weeks after assembly to finish the pour.

Cheers. I'm doing the base myself and was hoping that would speed things up but they still told me 8-10 weeks.

Cheers. I'm doing the base myself and was hoping that would speed things up but they still told me 8-10 weeks.

They have to make the think though. Maybe its just assembling from parts but someone has to do it.

A neighbour also told (don't know if its true - he'd put legs on a fish) that they assemble them at the base before they go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Clane steel sheds are also very good .

not as good as steeltech but not as dear and you don't need a concrete base the shed has a steel frame that sits on blocks

https://www.clanesteelgardensheds.ie/gallary

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MuchoTrails

We're debating between steel or durabond. Leaning towards steel.

But would like to get it insulated and electrical work done so can use for turbo trainer & TV & lights.

Can add up quickly with all the options.

We've rest of garden to finish with artificial grass & patio. Was hoping shed first but with those lead times we may move on the rest. It's hardcore at the moment with isn't nice for the summer.

They have to make the think though. Maybe its just assembling from parts but someone has to do it.

A neighbour also told (don't know if its true - he'd put legs on a fish) that they assemble them at the base before they go out.

Correct. Assembled off site and then brought to your house in large pieces and reassembled.

• Advertisement

I wonder how the costs for a good 4x4 steelshed stack up against getting a builder in to block lay a 4x4? Might be something I’ll get a quote for and compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Currently putting up a 10' x 12' cavity block shed myself, to take a ride-on mower and a few other bits and pieces out of a larger but overcrowded main shed. Am expecting total cost of materials (including roofing, a window and a timber door) to come in around €600 and definitely no more than €800.

Then again, I've a few advantages in that brother-in-law is a builder so he can source a suitable window and door cheaply or even for free, depending on what he comes across. Also no real labour costs other than buying him a few pints whenever we're allowed out again. But shows what can be done all the same, and I'd just have a preference for blockwork over steel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Once I told them the base was in (it wasn’t) the shed was installed 5 weeks later to the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do any of these shed, especially those block built require planning and/or a Certificate of Compliance?

beauf wrote: »
    Do any of these shed, especially those block built require planning and/or a Certificate of Compliance?

Planning permission; no, as long as it's within guidleines. Sounds like a smart arse answer, but honestly, as long as you check the LOCAL guidelines, it'll be grand.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/planning/planning-applications/do-i-need-planning-application

Edit: I'll leave the Certificate of compliance for someone else to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yeah, check the local guidelines (should be your local authority website), as I believe they can vary a bit from one to the next.

But just to give you an idea, here in Wexford, a garden shed type of structure up to 25 sq. metres floor space is exempt from PP, so long as it also meets a couple of other requirements, like still leaving at least 25 sq. metres of other "open" garden space in the curtilage of the house.

A 12' x 10' shed is about 3.7 x 3.0 metres, so about 11 sq. metres altogether, and well under the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I am looking at getting a shed from Clane steel sheds. Just looking for feedback on weather I should bother with getting a concrete base if the can put it on blocks with their own frame. Most people I have chatted to have said get the concrete base regardless but with the price of the sheds having shot up with Covid I'm sure the price of a concrete base has too. The size I'm looking at is 4.1m x 3.1m which is just over 3K. I got one quote for concrete base of €1200.

So I eventually got around to getting a steel shed from Clane.

going to go with a 5mx3m shed.

only question I have now is where to put the door and window.

the shed will be located at the back of the garden (I have a south facing garden) and up tight against the back wall on the south side.

Does anyone have any thoughts recommendations as to where to put the window and door? long side or short side or would you have the door on the short side and window in the long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you can, leave a narrow perimeter open around the shed, rather than having it tight against the garden wall. I did the latter (to maximise the remaining garden area), but it makes things like gutter maintenance a pain.

I've a sliding door at the gable end of the shed, with a window on one of the long sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Advertisement