Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2021 in the Civil Service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Protoman

Probably an hour and a bit if you did them in one sitting.

Complicated is the wrong word. Imagine trying to complete a Rubik's cube with two dildos sellotaped to your hands. That's pretty much the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sharmela

Oh dear I'll give it a miss so 🤦‍♀️

Same time as you! Ok I’ll stop checking my inbox constantly as driving myself crazy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

The tests were really a dumpster fire, at least they got rid of the one from last year that asked you to look at the picture pattern and say what comes next

• Registered Users Posts: 10 happylad21

Hi, what date have the test being extended until. Does that mean the results will be out later now?

• Advertisement

The testing window was extended until Friday morning. Shouldn't significantly delay the results coming out, sometime the coming week you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

That picture yoke was for the general AO was it not? As opposed to this graduate competition? I can't remember doing the picture thing in the last graduate competition.. I may have my wires crossed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭furrybones

I completely agree. I have never struggled with graphs and info the way I did on this test. In fact, I believe it will be a fail for me. Worst tests I've ever done.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

I hope someone from public jobs reads these threads. With all the thought that goes into other State examinations like the Leaving Cert and driving test, serving up slop like that for what should be an important process to get right just isn't acceptable. It's an insult to people taking the time and effort to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭lucat

PAS are just a mass filtering system and their priority is just to get x number of people filtered out at every stage. They don't give a fiddler's about applicants' time. If they did, they wouldn't have those ridiculous application forms. You would have a profile with your professional info etc. saved and supplementary questions they could add according to the competition.

The real shame is that they are entrusted with hiring the people who make this country run every day, public and civil servants, even if it's only in a small way. But they put no strategic thought or HR/recruitment expertise into the running of these competitions, from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jaqqq

Did anyone get their Stage 1 results back today? Got mine earlier and I passed but I placed 1088. The message that came with the results was a bit confusing though, they want us to give them details of career/experience by this Friday but from what I understand, regardless of what you put in about your career/experience, you will still go forward to the next stage of the assessment centre in early December.

I'm happy to have passed but the fact that there was 1087 people in the order of merit above me makes me think its a huge uphill battle to have a chance from here? Or does your career experience and the assessment centre outweigh the Stage 1 results to the point where they mean very little as long as you have passed?

Similarly, I'm at around the 900 mark. Difficult to tell what their thinking is - it would defeat the purpose of an OOM if they were to call everyone who passed through to (what I presume is) a one-way recorded interview. Can't see them wading through a thousand recorded interviews as well, although they may have a different process in mind this time out because the tests were of such poor quality. It's a bit of a black box the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PiPi78

Got my stage 1 results today .

8x Health Policy stream

26x Finance stream

115x General Stream

Any idea what's next? Health policy would be with HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Axywencz

Got my result. Placed around the 100 mark.

Is anyone else having issue with format on detailed application form? It's like the PDF was just formatted weirdly to my PC. Has "enter body text" on the questions/answers section, if I try and click the drop down part it just goes into text format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shayspam1992

Honestly I feel so depressed... I have a family and I'm 30. I just want to get my career going. I thought this was a huge opportunity but my oom is like 589 in the general stream. Feel like I have no chance of being called. Came out of college in the middle of this goddamn pandemic and have been floating around on **** temporary contracts. Sigh.

It's not inconceivable that's they'll get to your number if they take a couple of batches. There seems to be an unusually large volume of public sector / civil service hiring going on at the moment (I believe it's unspoken government policy due to current economic conditions, and the direct opposite response that we got in the financial crisis) and civil service renewal is a big feature - so a large cohort of AOs this intake is likely. Put it out of your mind for now, and remember 589>900!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shayspam1992

• Registered Users Posts: 13 youknowyourwan

Has anyone gone through the Irish stream and knows what’s next? I placed mid 20s in that and late 300s in the general English!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tervuren3080

Does anyone know what the assessment centre is like? What does it consist of and is it in-person or online?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rose1010101

I placed mid 70s in Irish and 1300ish in the general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jaqqq

Is the PDF to fill in with your details faulty for anyone else? I have updated to the latest version of Adobe Reader to access it but still a section is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

I didn’t even pass these tests.. Second year to fail them in a row! Maybe third time lucky!? 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

Sorry to hear, I failed twice in a row too, this is my 3rd year lucky. Definitely apply again next year, wishing you the best of luck in your job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pqzjr

Yes, having the same issue myself. Have you reached out to PAS yet for assistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RedmondBarry

I downloaded the detailed application form and it is 3 pages long with a Section A (Academic & Employment record) and a Section C (Supplementary Information, Notes, Declaration).

There is no Section B. Nothing about specific competences as far as I can see.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal?

Mine's the same. When I open it in the browser (which one can't fill-in correctly), there is a bit about supplementary questions. When opened in a pdf reader like Adobe, there's section A & C and nothing about these supplementary questions.

Honestly, PAS seriously needs to get their act together.

I was reading the other day in an article, that depending on what age they are hired, it costs the civil service up to 4m euro to recruit, train, pay and retain an AO over the lifetime of their career. For such a consequential hire, this is what the recruitment process is like? Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tadhgg

It looks like Section B has been mislabelled as Section A.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SavageSpuds

Yes this is what I have on my application form too. Based on previous PAS application forms, section B consists of supplementary questions re competencies which do not feature on this AO application form so it skips straight to section C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MT0

Hi guys this was my third time and yet again I failed the situational judgement - not sure how when it was just replying to emails maybe I did it too quickly?! Well done ..any advice cvb03?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 youknowyourwan

Not sure it’s anything to do with being too quick, probably more how you answered. I know a few people in the civil service and they suggested to always pick the option that allows you to help as much as you can while also not going over anyones head (I.e. if one of the options suggests you check with someone more senior then you should pick that) I hope this makes sense!! And good luck for next time round 🙂

Advertisement