Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best and worst breakfast cereal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m not saying it wasn’t tasty but the name just isn’t ringing a bell at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just looked up bran buds @HeidiHeidi and it’s a green box ?

edit: and I thought seeing the box would jog my memory but I’ve never seen or eaten them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All-Bran Buds is a variety of All-Bran cereal manufactured by Kellogg's. It is a wheat bran cereal that is a source of high fiber and psyllium. It is available in the United States and Canada.

Bran Buds

It used to be available in the United Kingdom during the 1970s and 1980s. The cereal was available in Ireland until the mid-1980s.

😱

Now I feel really old!

Never called All-Bran Buds back in my day , just plain Bran Buds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

No, it was a smaller version of the All Bran box, in the same brown/yellow colours. I looked it up as well, ive never seen that green "All Bran Buds" version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Best for me was honey loops,nesquik and wheetos

Worst is definitely any of that sh!te with no sugar and looks like rabbit food

I remember them well but not in a good way- too soggy for me once milk added- they were similar to All Bran which are still available and also quite vile 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This is why I had little sympathy a few years back for the anonymous Garda Sargent claiming he was so badly paid they he was living of breakfast cereal to afford to pay his bills and feed his kids. Paying more for branded food with far less nutrition than cheaper food does not strike me as a rational action for someone claiming financial issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like crunchy nut cornflakes but mixed with regular cornflakes to dial down the sweetness.

I used like Frosties as a kid but I'd find them sickeningly sweet now.

I've never eaten Lucky Charms but the things look like pick n mix rather than cereal, no wonder yanks are the size that they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

overnight oats,some cacao powder,coconut almond milk,blueberries....its absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I used to love those chocolate weeto things and crunchy nut cornflakes. Haven't eaten either in years though.

Worst has to be shredded wheat. Why would you bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

The new protein Weetabix. 4 of them in the morning with milk. Sets you up for the day. (For some reason the protein ones are a little crunchier then normal ones)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lidl Berry granola with strawberry kefer

Mmmmmmm yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lidl brand Weetabix

Used to love Coco pops but they are absolute muck now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I remember that story, his wife said they had cornflakes for most meals even though he was earning €60k a year. Porridge was around 7 cent a bowl back then and healthier, if she really wanted to cut costs she could’ve used water instead of milk. But saying that the story didn’t add up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/there-are-weeks-i-can-t-put-food-on-the-table-1.553261

• Advertisement

Even Weetabix is sickeningly sweet as an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I used to love Start, Ricicles, and Golden Grahams but dont see em much nowadays.

There used to be a brand of nut cluster things too, not crunch-nut. Had a squirrel on the box I think. They were great

At the moment it would be Jordans. Pricey but the business.

I dislike Rice Crispies and own-brand All BRan type things, which is like tree bark.

In need of cash and unable to make simple financial decisions. How could the force be corrupt and unable to investigate white collar crime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Eh.. the op never said Porridge wasn't allowed. For me Porridge with fruit tastes lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

yep - love cheerios, rice crispies and all bran mixed together with some chopped up fruit.. yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Weetabix or Alpen, or them mixed . Often whatever berries are in the house thrown in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I find I don't eat cereal anymore, egg on toast usually, though I do love the occasional coco pops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Aldi do a version of them, called golden puffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kelloggs Guy 1: Hey....what if we get Rice Crispies and just drown them in sugar frosting?

Kelloggs Guy 2: That's insane....insane enough to work:

God I loved these.

Unsurprisingly this excellent sugar delivery system is no more :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Porridge or Weetabix for me. Wouldn't touch anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

As a kid I'd always throw in an extra spoon or two of sugar just for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Iceland stores have the best selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Tesco version of No Added Sugar Alpen is fairly good.

Very hard to find another decent muesli now as they all seem to be loaded with dried fruit and probably sugar. The Flahavans one wasn't bad when they launched it, but went downhill rapidly. I'd be throwing away about 20% of the packet - far too much fruit now padding it out.

Plain oats also good on own or mixed in with above. Porridge? Yeuch - had too much of it as a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Porridge with banana and some berries (raspberries, blackberries), grapes and a tablespoon of milled linseed. Do feel great after that every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

A ton of sugar first thing in the morning is probably one of the worst ways to start your day nutrition wise, but I do like a bowl of Frosties or Crunchy nut cornflakes on the odd occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

yes we also love the TS no added sugar Alpen... nicer than actual Aplen - more textures imo.. and so much cheaper

love it with lots of chopped fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Best: Almond Oats and More, Wheetos, Frosted Shreddies, Crunchy Nut, Cookie Crisp.

Worst: Any off-brand Weetabix. Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Weetabix. The solid quiet worker who diligently continues to produce efficient work. All new workers come with new ideas and some new zinger names but Weetabix will always be there. And will be the last one left.

(Unless that bstrd cornflakes has something to say)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

For me it's only muesli. I buy the Aldi Very berry and very nutty and mix them together with hot milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Just got me some of these....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Used to like Sheritt Wheat found all brsn like calf biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I find I now have to cut Flahavans Hi8 with extra porridge oats, no idea why they upped the amount of dried fruit, was fine before.

Fave - I like a bowl of Kellogg’s cornflakes but have to eat them when they’re proper crunchy. No taking a phone call and coming back to them a few minutes later as they’ll be ruined.

Dislike - anything with fruit or nuts in the name

Sugar Puffs were rebranded Honey Monster Wheat Puffs and the reviews says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I have Cornflakes with All-Bran, add milk and allow to go relatively soggy. Then I add crushed-up Rice Krispies on top, my version of dusty sugar. The Rice Krispies aren't a necessity, but I do it if I have time and inclination.

I hate any of the extra-sugary versions of cereals like Frosties, Ricicles, and Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Oatabix and blue berries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just an FYI that the prices are wild when it comes to those individual portions. The plastic pots from flahavans are about €20 per kilo if you work it out. The quick oats sachets are around €7 a kilo. A 1.5kg bag of flahavans is 3€, and you just have to measure it out and warm it up the same as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

worst has to be Oreo O's cereal. I'd say wet cardboard has more flavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Shredded wheat is the best but corn flakes are easier. Shredded wheat has to be pummeled a bit and and put aside and left untill it has soaked up the milk and softened, but then it's the tastiest of the lot.

Best weetabix with cold milk

Worst weetabix with warm milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Worst: Porridge - and since I'm trying to be healthier, it's the only one I have. I've tried putting Cinnamon on top - still tastes and feels like wallpaper paste.

Favourite: Honey & Nut Crunchy Clusters from Aldi.

Does anyone else remember the multipack arriving into the house as a child and the race to see who got the Coco Pops or Frosties and what poor sod was left with the plain Cornflakes? 😄

• Advertisement

As a child though crunchy nut cornflakes were great.

I try and make breakfast as healthy as possible these days so usually have porridge with yogurt fruit and various nuts or seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

40g of Flahavans jumbo oats

10g of Oat Bran

220ml of Oat milk

2 mins microwave

(add nuts, berries, chia seeds, honey whenever the mood takes)

Can't beat it.

You won't find me eating any of that sugary muck from Kelloggs.

On my lower carb days, I will have Fage full fat Greek yogurt with frozen berries and nuts. Watch the nuts though- high in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Does anyone else feel that there are 'good' batches of Corn Flakes (lightly toasted, brighter in colour), and 'bad' batches of Corn Flakes (overcooked, darker in colour)?

Or am I going mad?

Sometimes I feel I can almost tell by the box....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't like porridge made from milled flakes, only that made from whole 'jumbo' flakes and not overcooked. Add a teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt and then sprinkle with dark muscovado suger.

Porridge is actually nice if you make it with the same method as you would for stone soup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Current favourite would be the Crownfield Raisin and Almond Granola in Lidl though it's about 25% sugar... lovely with fresh pineapple and natural yoghurt but also tasty with just regular milk.

Worst I'm afraid to say is porridge. Doesn't matter how I've tried preparing it, it's either the taste and texture of wallpaper paste or raw sodabread dough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement