Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options
  • 21-10-2021 4:36pm

A poster on, of all forums, the legal forum, referred to travellers as "inbr3ds...s**tting everywhere".

Obviously I reported it, assuming it's a very straightforward matter. The post has been tweaked a little, but remains in place.

As someone who was banned from a forum for 6 months for calling a racist footballer a "clown", I have given out before about the awful modding. But have they just downed tools (which I could kinda understand) or is the report function broken, as I've seen a mod on the American Football forum asking to be PMed as the report function there is broken.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hello.

No, the mods haven’t given up. It just takes longer to identify reports from our/their forums because they’re not labelled anymore. I believe this is on the list of things to be fixed. There are one or two slipping through the net though, so if you see something particularly egregious that hasn’t been actioned, report it again and it will be bumped to the top of the list again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I saw a post saying to PM mods with any reports...the only issue being you can't see who the f'ing mods are any more down the bottom of the forum.

I have reported the same posts over and over, because I'm not sure if they have been seen by mods or not.

The last one I reported was just deleted, along with any replies. I'm not sure why, No one learns anything from that? It wasn't particularly abusive except to me personally. It would have been far better to be red carded.

But, anyway, at least I know a mod actually saw it. I wasn't sure whether standards had dropped, or there were no mods anymore!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Probably haven't been seen. Reported posts is effectively broken and has been since the migration. If it is any of my categories (social & fun, recreation and hobbies or home and garden) feel free to pm me.

It is a "challenging" time for mods so bear with them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It most definitely is a challenging time for the mods over the last couple of months.

I'm not commenting here to have a go at them but to see that as a consequence of this, the experience of using the site has been impacted in a negative way. I've flagged some posts myself that have been sitting on the thread close to 24 hours which wouldn't have lasted 30 minutes previously and the number of mods actively working has such seems to be way down on what it was with a lot of it being done by one Mod who, and I say this to indicate the need for support for them more than anything else, seems to be getting strained from doing so.

The lack of cards being displayed is also a negative in my view as they were way more impactful that a mod comment further down the page or on the next page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I hope these "challenging times" don't lead to mods just walking away. It's a thankless voluntary job, unless those rumours about cocaine and hookers are true!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

frankly Im amazed they're still sticking around given the mess everything has become and the complete lack of support shown by the office

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've no doubt Mods have had a trying time since migration, personally I like the new Touch site, desktop version horrid.

But I would have thought reporting functionality would have been a number one Priority during migration , particularly given the liability aspect of certain posts. Some forums on here have become astonishingly hostile and some posts quite alarming.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How do I report a private message in the new environment please?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There is no way to report private messages at the moment. I would suggest forwarding the PM to an admin such as @Beasty and let him take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It's gone beyond ridiculous at this point, and PMing mods with a link to the post in question is a pain in the arse on mobile.

There's a documentary producer spamming various threads on the site looking for people who built houses next door to their parents. No point reporting the posts as they won't get seen and I couldn't be arsed going through the PM rigmarole, especially when you can't even see who the mods on a given page are anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The reports all enter a queue that doesn't break out reports by category.

PM's can no longer be reported.

Mod action on threads is erratic at best and the sanction system is still both unclear and often a sanction is applied to an account with no message to the user as to the trigger.

The shítshow that has been the migration to Vanilla with an attempt to reskin alá boards can surely at this point be held up for the failure it has been?

Rather than try an keep functionality that Vanilla was never built to replicate?

Ditch the skinning and the crutch, look at sites that implement vanilla well and copy best practice.

The move has already destroyed a lot of trust in boards staff, it has destroyed the platform functionality, the mod tools are pathetic, the growth in posting that doesn't just approach the line but blows past it? Is surely evidence of that!

The whole move has been one that is an example of precisely how not to manage a migration.

The VBulletin Boards is dead, rather than constantly attempt skinning efforts to retain the appearance?

Let it die, have a wake and implement whatever Vanilla does well to manage the disaster that is unfolding and evolving since this awful strategy of migration management was implemented.

That’s not strictly true either. That account has just been banned for spamming and it was only active for an hour. Given that the weekend always sees less hands on deck, I’d say that’s a pretty good response time.

We are seeing reported posts. They’re just not neatly categorised as they were before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OK great, one particular example was dealt with efficiently. That doesn't materially change the fact that the modding tools since the migration clearly aren't fit for purpose.

PI/RI has turned into a really unpleasant place recently and Big Bag of Chips and Hannibal Smith are basically reduced to typing at people in bold. Forum bans are no longer possible, I believe and it looks like cards are a thing of the past too.

Their job is being made even more difficult by the fact that PI/RI threads are now visible on the front page when they never used to be, so are attracting a lot more "randomers" than they previously would have. As a regular, good faith poster, I find that forum absolutely exhausting these days, so I can only imagine how the poor mods feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Unless a mediator is an active poster in the forum they mediate there is not much of a problem.

But larger forums are suffering badly, by the time a report is delt with the damage is done.

Reregs are still a serious issue.

You haven’t said anything I disagree with. There are problems that need to be fixed, and they are being worked on one at a time. Even having said that, I don’t think the answer is to stop reporting posts. They are being looked at as they come in and action is being taken behind the scenes that you might not see as a regular user. Yes, one or two are slipping through the net, and measures are being taken to make sure that doesn’t happen anywhere near as much as it has been in the early months of switching to Vanilla. We’re getting there, albeit not as fast an initially hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There in is your main problem

If regular users don't visually see some action been taken ie cards, they would likely perceive nothing is been done.

No point putting a note in the fist page of a tread as it's near on impossible to view if on mobile.

Writing warnings get quickly lost in a busy tread.

And let's be honest it's way more than one or two slipping through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

1 or 2 is a bit disingenuous. Many mods have at this stage abandoned the reported posts forum and are just maintaining things as best they can within their forums with no mod tools available to them. It is the very unlucky troll that gets caught these days. Personally the only time I would sanction a post would be where it arose in a thread I was actually reading. We have had mods in busy forums quit recently due to the lack of tools. There are forums where I am cat mod where I do not actually know who the mods of the forums are. I had written most down in a spreadsheet but hadn't got to some of the quieter forums before things went south.

To say all is mostly well just is not true. We are still not at a stage where we even know what mods are remaining as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You see new forums set up that seem to have vastly more working functionality than this site out of the box.

I'm not seeing this site as fixable given the length of time since migration and so much that is broken has not been fixed.

I'm probably overly pessimistic.

Well, if the responses you're getting in the moderator's forum are anything like what regular users are getting, I wouldn't blame every moderator for walking away. I admire anybody who's taking the trouble to stick around now. I get the impression that some in boards HQ never appreciated or understood what they had. Goodwill only lasts for so long though. We all accept that the Vanilla migration was a shitshow but there's now a doubling down going on with management. It's be far more productive if they were more open and honest with people and were on board with trying to make boards better.

• Advertisement

Again, I don’t disagree. My ‘one or two’ remark was, of course, not based on a quantitative analysis of the RP forum. If you take a look as it currently sits, you’ll see the majority are being decided upon by one admin. Perhaps more admins could chip in and help out in there while we don’t have RP tags? That would certainly help.

I don’t think I said all is mostly well either. I agree with you that mod tools are essential for us to do our jobs. When everyone from Niamh down admits that there are problems that need to be resolved, I certainly am not turning into Baghdad Bob and saying ‘nothing to see here’.

I share your frustration. I don’t know any mod who doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭archfi

At this stage, I have to agree.

The closest and most often comparable board in terms of traffic and forums and the one which would be widely known on here is DigitalSpy Forums in the UK.

It's functional and clean as far as I can see using Vanilla.

Boards really needs to pare down the categories & forums - they are massively unwieldy. Most of them could be merged into overall categories/forums and survive as threads.

The amount of patches etc to imitate precisely the old look of boards is a very big bottleneck to the resolution of navigation and other usability issues.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I just wonder why the admins think this version of the forum software is salvageable considering all ongoing major issues.

If we had some forward looking plan rather than this limbo would be appreciated.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will usually delete posts I have actioned just to avoid further reports and concerns that action may not have been taken.

On reporting PMs yes forward them to me at present and I will have a look. Abusive PMs will usually attract a siteban-(typically 1 month for a first offence, although abuse can range from very mild to on occasion thoroughly disgusting comments, and shorter or longer bans may be applied)

We have been told that some of the modding tools previously available are now a priority, but even things that are a priority are taking time

There are a couple of us Admins who are picking up the spammers. Most are dealt with within an hour or two, but sometimes they can be missed. Please report posts you see that are spamming - I can usually guess it's a spammer from the thread title, but if I see 4 or 5 reports for a post that's usually indicative of a spammer. We have seen quite- a few more on this platform than we were getting on the old one

Re-regs can take a little longer to weed out due to the limited modding tools. However it should also be noted that people close one account and open another for a variety of reasons. A low postcount for someone who seems familiar with the site is not unreasonable and usually there is no issue with the new account. Equally though we will not ban on suspicion alone. We may need to build a case based on the activity of the new account.

I think you are over estimating what boards HQ is. It is Niamh an IT guy and a part time CEO that seems to only do a couple of hours a week.

Niamh is part of the community and is well aware of what she has. She is overworked at this stage too. If she decides she has enough I don't know what will happen to the site. I know I wouldn't take the job.

I was being generous - it's obvious that boards is being run on a shoestring. Niamh seems to be doing Trojan work but where's the backup?

I think we can appreciate and respect that.

Its like someone at work taking too much up and overloading themselves into a breakdown. When everyone is telling them they need to step back and look at what is realistic given the available resources. If that means more modest objectives, and cutting lose the parts that are the most time consuming so be it. Some forums block certain subjects, because they are too time consuming to moderate.

https://www.liquidplanner.com/blog/10-tips-for-getting-your-chaotic-project-back-on-track/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It seems that anyone can say anything they like regarding travellers here, similarly the Muslim community. The facilitation of far right trolls is bringing the website into disrepute. Some of the posts I've seen undoubtedly cross the line into incitement of hatred, a criminal offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I don't think anyone expects Niamh or the CEO to sit at a desk 24/7 monitoring reports and deleting posts. The 'jobs' of moderators are unpaid, that's the reality, but as Conor says some of them don't bother dealing with hateful posts.

• Advertisement

Just to bring in @[Deleted User] since he mentioned this post in particular, I have located the post you referred to and I can confirm that it was deleted by a site admin and the user in question received an infraction point for such an unacceptable post. This tipped the poster over the limit of allowable infraction points and they have been sitting on a temporary site ban since 24th October in the hopes they will get the message IF they return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement