Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So they want the herds cut by at least 30%.

They will obviously increase the grants to farmers to compensate and taxes on the rest of us will increase to pay for this.

The price of meat and milk etc will surely increase too.

Whose going to compensate the PAYE workers?

I’m sick to death of this Green bull** .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So the countries that we export too...where do they now get their beef and diary from...Brazil? Were they are destroying the rain forest to produce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's the ideal win win - corn/maize grown for ethanol production which is renewable and the byproduct used to feed livestock. Keep the feckin vegans in their corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Except almost all of Irish agriculture is for export.

After FG came to power the Irish farming sector was pushed to expand to unsustainable levels to boost the balance of trade figures. This has caused numerous issues with pollution of all sort across the country. Agriculture is certainly not blameless and the farmers are largely victims of this push to export growth.

And despite what many would have you believe, you cannot live of Beef and Milk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

So the esb or whoever has to buy carbon credits to supply electricity to the data centres.do they levy the data centres directly or do we all pay for them.are these carbon credits ringfenced for data centres or are they general carbon credits that could come from say forestry or land sequestration.can you fill us in on the whole carbon cerdit market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

No you cannot live of Beef and Milk alone......you need a little bit of love as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It says that mixed grass clover leys can compete with maize -

I only scanned the article so not sure if that includes harvesting transport costs

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I live on beef, pork, diary & mushrooms, pretty much exclusively

So What's your solution ? Drive on ? And who pays for that?

Or do you hope to be dead before the worst of it hits ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Very little of Irish agriculture is economically viable so its a choice of how and where we apply supports to achieve our social objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They are not credits. They are allowances. This is nothing to do with sequestration or anything like that.

What happens is that a ‘cap’ is set at EU level. This covers the entire ETS sector which is industry, electricity generation , some aviation but not building heating, agriculture or transport.

Every year the cap is reduced. This means that industry will be forced to reduce its emissions by a certain amount by 2030.

You have to buy your right to emit in an auction and this right is tradable. (There are some free allowances for certain sectors which are vulnerable to imports but the principle is still the same, if you emit it costs you.)

every year we can expect the allowances to get more expensive as the cap is reduced. The pressure is on industry to become less carbon intensive.

All fossil electricity generation is subject to this. It drives up the cost that the electricity is sold at on the wholesale day-ahead market. Coal is hit hardest, wind isn’t hit at all. This is passed on ultimately to the consumer. Bigger consumers like data centres bear most of the cost.

This also has a counterintuitive result. Closing a data centre in ireland will have no downward effect on EU or global emissions. The allowances which are not used in Ireland will simply be used somewhere else in the EU.

This is a good article which explains the basics and indicates how the ETS might be expanded

https://www.euronews.com/amp/2021/07/16/why-is-the-eu-s-new-emissions-trading-system-so-controversial

Well the dairy sector lives or dies by world market prices , it's the sector that makes money,it was artificially shackled for 30 years so expansion is no surprise and it's the one that any cuts will probably hit hardest ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EnglishHeart

It seems to me that whenever the yogurt knitters of Chelsea decide that something should be done in a green way, it will not touch their money cushioned lives. Instead those working hard to raise families on low wages will be made to feel the financial impact.

Will have to be electricity where possible and move to more fuel efficient engines where not

https://youtu.be/OpEB6hCpIGM

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Sorry - that's what I meant to stick up ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Dairy is the one sector of Irish agriculture that is viable and they want to cut that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We'll have two weeks of farmer bashing for discussion from tomorrow...... COP 26

There's actually possibility in that - tractors are heavy by design , so a lot of that could be removable battery packs- they already have hydraulic systems - so swapping out heavy packs every few hours wouldn't necessarily be an impossible task -

And having huge batteries plugged into the grid when not doing farm work is a way to make money ...

Probably a contractors game for the high end stuff .. - leasing heavy duty batteries -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I think this more correctly frames the discussion. A lot of discussion about the sector is misplaced, because it tends to gloss over some pertinent facts like (as you say), overwhelmingly the food produced is for export, and the food we actually eat is frequently imported (as Brexit revealed). The productivity and value of Irish agricultural is hugely overstated, not helped by misleading statements from the likes of Teagasc saying things like we produce enough beef to feed tens of millions - which many think means the output of Irish agriculture could meet the total food needs of a multiple of our population, which is false.

What you don't here much, but should be stated more frequently, is:

• Ireland is a net importer of food energy
    • Per head, we import as much food as land-scarce UK
    • Despite fifty years of EU membership, the sector is hugely dependent on exports to supply generic product to UK supermarkets
    • 12% of farms produce close to two thirds (62%) of agricultural output using 29% of the total farmed land area
    • Irish farmers cannot feed the country, and would struggle to feed themselves (folk were surprised during the Emergency to find not only widespread malnutrition in Irish towns and cities, but in rural areas too.
    • There isn't a fixed global demand for beef that must be filled - if prices increase, people will eat other foodstuffs

You don't have to go far on this forum to find folk setting out the problems they are having making a return on their current products. A recent poster was pretty much saying Why Do I Bother? I find, in that context, the reluctance to change - just on grounds of profitability - hard to fathom. And it's not a gap that's closed by shouting "Avocado", as if that was the cleverest thing someone could say about this topic.

Dublin farmers account for 41% of total field vegetables grown in Ireland. If an Irish farmer is stuffing his face with Irish veg, it's highly unlikely it came from anywhere nearby. The usual response is it's very difficult to grow stuff in Ireland - we need to import from somewhere with a radically different climate.

Like Netherlands, apparently, judging from the labels in your local Lidl or Aldi. You know, the shops where Irish farmers get their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

It would be money from America at that!!

Compensation tables will be nicely set up with the production bands for nitrates…

Jeez I’m jealous. Ye’re in for some haul of money though. Unfortunately not a word about methane etc here, and looks like there won’t be either. Damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Are you using gdp our gni, when trying to downplay Irish agricultures contribution to the economy, its leprechaun economics if working of gdp

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I'm not downplaying anything, just rightsizing it in a context where it's usually inflated. Like breathless statements about food exports, that rarely mention the subsidies that support it. Or highlighting the portion of that's generated by drinks.

Or the way that Teagasc inflate the downstream employment relating to food, by including the job of the Tesco Ireland checkout operator selling you imported food.

I think the matter is well explained here:

Key quote for me "Whatever way you look at it, agriculture, forestry and fishing only account for about 3% of our GNP – even after you strip out multinationals’ profits."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

That's strange do yer cows not fart.kind a confirms suspicion s that there's a campaign being mounted in Ireland at the minute

So the point is, we certainly wouldn't starve if the whole agricultural sector went to the wall, and we wouldnt suffer much economically either. In this context it makes it a hell of a lot easier to reframe agriculture to serve other vitally important social needs such as preventing climate change.

The reason why this relatively easy economic argument isn't been made is because the farming lobby is one of the most powerful sectors of Irish society and nothing can be done by politicians to upset them. Bad reason to do bad things in my humble opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any idea what the output of an upland sheep farm is? i've often suspected they're the low hanging fruit; their economic output is probably dwarfed by the subsidies it takes to keep them running, and allowing the uplands to rewild would count towards biodiversity on a massive scale, and also almost certainly have a beneficial effect on flooding in lower ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

The thing is that Irish farming produces milk and beef and lamb more efficiently than anywhere else in the world. Just like you say the Dutch produce vegetables more efficiently and for that matter China produce the unecessary tat that you consume everyday.

I dont hear you shouting to shut down Chinese factories or Dutch vegetable growers. No its just your begrudging attitude to Irish farmers.

I don’t have a solution but not not eating meat or butter won’t be a part of my household plan. I tried that rubbish quorn and cauliflower wings rubbish and I won’t be changing from my big steak and mash with plenty butter washed down with a pint of cold milk.

• Advertisement

If this were true then Irish farmers would be able to out compete their rivals without subsides, are you prepared to try that on for size ?

Advertisement