Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your own business

Options
  • 07-10-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Could someone please help me find help on setting up my own business?
    I need advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Could someone please help me find help on setting up my own business?
    I need advice. Thanks

Start here

https://www.localenterprise.ie/
    Check out the bank websites too for business plans and look at this.

https://www.localenterprise.ie/Portal/Discover-Business-Supports/Training-Programmes/Start-Your-Own-Business-Programme/Start-Your-Own-Business-Programme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladiesman217

What type of business are you thinking of setting up?
    I think LEOs are ok but they seem to lack the knowledge people need to develop a brand, a base for you to build your customer experience. It is this that will help you sell a product or service. Now obviously the 10 sept guid is extremely important, but so to is the Customer Experience. This guid below is from a LEO in Dublin. It is the same guide that they all use really.

Starting your own business? Here are ten steps that will help you get started.
    1. Know yourself
    Can you work alone?
    Can you take responsibility?
    Are you of a positive disposition?

2. Are you prepared to take a risk?
    Starting a business will involve risking your savings.
    Are you prepared for this?

3. Research your market
    What is the extent of the market for your
    product/service?
    Who are your customers?
    Who are your competitors?

4. Look at your production requirements – premises, machinery and labour
    Where will the enterprise be located?
    What considerations are important in the choice
    of premises?
    What machinery is required?
    Will employees require additional training prior to
    commencing work?

5. Work out your total costs
    What costs are involved in the purchase of capital
    equipment/premises?
    What are your labour costs?
    What is the cost involved in production?

6. Estimate your selling price and plan how you will achieve sales
    Taking the above factors into consideration estimate
    your selling price.
    Who/where is your target market (local/national)?
    How will you promote your enterprise?
    What channels of distribution will be used?

7. Decide the legal framework of your business/check out any legislation that might affect you
    What business structure will the enterprise use
    – sole trader, partnership, limited company?
    Have you registered your business name with the register of business names? (www.cro.ie)
    Have you registered as self employed?
    Are you familiar with your obligations as
    an employer?
    Are you familiar with your tax obligations
    (Income & VAT)

8. Check out your sources of materials/supplies, their availability and cost
    Where can the raw materials be purchased?
    Have you received quotations from a number of
    potential suppliers?

9. What are your total financial/investment requirements?
    How will you fund the project (personal investment,
    grant aid, loan)?

10. Produce a Business Plan
    Using our template or other, commit all relevant
    information to paper – be realistic and set targets
    based on the research carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hukriot

Novels are certainly cool and interesting, but if, as you write, you are interested in the topic of money. So, I advise you to read about business, for example, here is an interesting article https://sageseller.com/blog/sageseller-guide-how-to-find-wholesale-suppliers-for-your-amazon-fba-business/ she can put the beginning of your self-development and possibly even the beginning of your business. Agree that this is much more useful than reading novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

This is spot on!!

If I may add, also try to think somehow include what marketing activities will be. Let's say if it is e-commerce you have to be able to map out briefly how you'll be promoting your products online (e.g ads, social media, etc) or how you'll get traffic to your website (e.g lead generation, demand generation, seo, etc)

But before anything all of those you need to be specific with (1) what your business will be and (2) who you will cater to (target customers) cause once you have those all of what was mentioned above will just follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veil

Are you looking for what business to start or what it takes to be able to start one.?.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Has anyone more experiences they can share about the LEOs? Particularly for early thinking, pre setup.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ikefinnell

I am running a business since 2012. PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

personal experience wasn't great, found them a little useless. The person I was dealing with seemed to recite business for dummies rather than having any actual experience to draw from or advise on. That is not from a recent experience though so could have changed.

Same for microfinance (who LEO referred me to), still have the letter of refusal saying the business wouldn't work (in their opinion). 4 years later business is still here and continuing to grow nicely with a bank happily funding whenever we need it. I can still hear the sound of the catty voice of a condescending loan adviser telling me it wouldn't work. Again not from a recent experience, but from what I hear they are about as useful as a motorbike ashtray now.

OP what's the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agree on Local Enterprise and Microfinance Ireland. Both were useless.

Basing too much off the own personal opinion on the business. I used it as motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Are you working now? Could you start your idea as a side-line? Is the business you hope to set up something that you know or have experience in or is it something new that hasn't been done before.

Starting a business takes money and many have lost savings trying to get one off the ground. Make sure you have enough savings to support yourself while the new business gets up and running as if you leave a job, you have no regular income but rent/mortgage/utilities/food/transport still need to be paid. Have a plan for your own living expenses and dont overlook a good business plan, it's essential. Great list in post #3.

Good luck OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ruchie

Hello

could anyone please help me with starting a new business here in Ireland? i want to import silver jewelry from India to Ireland and sell it online or to the retailers but I have no clue how to get it to work as I am not much aware of customs and other stuff.

I would really appreciate it if someone could guide/help me?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭scottygee

Another digital business idea that comes to mind is focusing on marketing services on different platforms. Specifically, social media marketing–which is a really good business right now (and it's pretty achievable–with the right resources). You can just focus on one platform like Facebook or Instagram and anchor all efforts there. Once you've built a solid following–funneling them to other platforms can get easier :)

Advertisement