Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be another lockdown?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Well hopefully they don’t lock down the airports again. If they bring in further restrictions here, I will be on a plane out for Christmas. I’ve travelled a good bit since they allowed international travel, Ireland really is still a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Stuck in a bus in quays Dublin, protest walking up road, I am guessing covid related? Looks pretty small numbers wise couple of hundred maybe.

Not covid related it's a our the cobblestone pub

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Daily cases do not automatically fill hospital beds. If, as the CMO suggests, the highest incidence is in the 5-12 year olds it's very likely to be a sniffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What?

Ultimately that's what's gonna happen and is happening as we speak.

They are letting it rip through the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Good, hardly an appropriate word to describe 2966 cases and I refuse to believe there is a deliberate effort to let it Rip through kids in schools, albeit I take your point

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Cases have been high for ages now, not sure why people are wetting themselves and salivating over another lockdown after today's numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

No, they are going for the herd immunity approach in the primary schools. Unless you have a better theory to explain their actions and the outcomes we are seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep but "protecting the health service" narrative will once again become prevalent

Joe public can do **** all about it and the question of 'what did the HSE do the last 18 months to fix it ?'

• Advertisement

I certainly agree the current approach is all over the place and beyond extraordinary, The Education Minister in absolute denial and MM & Leo taking through their Arses but I don't think utter incompetence equates to a Herd Immunity policy , using the nations children, that would be utterly shocking and reprehensible and certainly career ending if ever proven. I do see your point on perception, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Parents were dismissed as morons by the powers that be that children in schools would bring home sickness with them

even though we knew it would happen like it does like clockwork every year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,768 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Good thing hospital and ICU numbers have been coming down over the week then.....

I wonder would you be less negative if you actually read the news and not just blindly believed every negative post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Hospital and icu numbers dropping but the country still obsessed with cases!!

That old chestnut, hospital numbers dropping, they are (very slightly), the problem being increased numbers of new cases (substantial by any measure across Europe), will to hospitalisations. There's no obsession from me, just pointing out facts which unfortunately elude some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What is the percentage that ends up in hospital after a couple of weeks of the daily number

trying to think back but it’s not coming to me

Not entirely sure but given Vacinne protection waning in a substantial cohort , namely the most vulnerable, now well over 6 months since 2nd dose, I'd have to assume we'll see increased hospitalisations,

NPHET, Politicians and HSE seem to agree there will be an increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If vaccine waning is true A lot of that cohort are getting their boosters including over 60’s from next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Maybe this year the advice will be to lock granny in the shed for hers or use 6ft serving spoons 😂 I’ll be having a normal Christmas this year and that’s regardless of what NPHET recommends or does, they can **** off

Precisely, next week!!! , TODAY'S figures nearly 3,000.

Boosters I'm afraid are looking increasingly likely for most of the population and that's not going to happen in weeks.

• Advertisement

Dempo1, i really don’t think you’ll be happy until a big announcement is made that we go into lockdown. Go on admit it.

You really need to stop being like the call Joe crowd and stop obsessing over the daily numbers.

Take some time to actually look at my posts regarding lockdowns, actually if time allows check other covid threads on my stance on lockdowns.

You appear to be part of a cohort who resent correction, explanations of facts ,turning them into wild accusations levelled towards people like me seeking to understand what is going on.

These attempts to deflect by accusing others as a deranged sect longing for lockdowns proves an abject inability to debate,discuss unless your point of view is accepted. Snide, silly and incoherent comments achieve little.

Won't wash with me I'm afraid. Good night

I’m quite aware of the facts. Your posts are of constant hysteria and whining about cases and vaccine waning that seems to be your flavour of posting. So one has to ask what would keep you happy. By the way regarding vaccine waning the vaccines still strongly protect against serious illness.

Someone mentioned about the government going for herd immunity between the 5-12 year olds. Your response was shock and horror at the prospect. Covid 19 is here to stay. So what’s your solution as i’d love to know this? Keep kids isolated from each other permanently? Keep schools closed permanently ? As i have said Covid 19 is going no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I think it's horse de-wormer time!

Just hand out some horse de-wormer to everyone in the audience, and let us all get on with living our lives.

It'll be like when they gave everyone those iodine tablets way back when. Nobody needed them, but it did help to calm down the more nervous members of society. The hysteria subsided, and people got on with their lives.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Face masks, covid tests, vaccines. Loads of people out there absolutely love all this ****. They are absolutely wetting themselves at the thought of another lockdown which is their favourite thing. Expect a lot of handwringing at “the cases” in the next few weeks, but in reality this is the happiest they’ve been since level 5 was lifted, they think their little slice of lockdown heaven may be just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Ah i'd say those people are few and far between. They exist, but I wouldn't say there's loads. Most people just want to see the back of this and some might just have different views on restrictive measures.

Beverly Hills, California

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

More kids that I know have caught in the last 5 weeks than in the last 20 months (I knew no kids with it up to the end of Sept).

Won't need to vaccinate half the primary children at the rate we are going ....

Clearly you've not actually bothered to check my posting history but even if you did, I'm entitled to ask ligitimate questions.

I've never whinged about anything, I've offered or questioned data. Quoted and attached articles, I've not once called for lockdown and have openly stated as someone who is NOT a parent, I don't have the answer's re schools but feel schools will stay open albeit solutions have to be found, I further stated quite categorically I don't believe we'll see a return to lockdown but have ligitmately questioned the decision to re open night clubs with cases so high, your entitled to disagree. And yes, I believe some additional measures may be needed, call them restrictions if you will, I call them practical solutions. There has to be a middle ground.

I freely admit I've got concerns about Vacinne protection waning, this is not disputed by the experts but I believe the excuses or should I say blame game has been outrageous, demonising certain cohorts has a distasteful aspect to it, has history not thought us anything.

I don't subscribe to attacking fellow posters because they have different views, I pose a question, enquire about data seeking answers like most other reasonable people, I do not assume to have alll the answers but will certainly question something I believe is clearly wrong. There is absolutely no evidence of a determined effort to use children to achieve herd immunity, there is ample evidence of incompetence and mixed messaging that I'll grant you, if I'm proven wrong, I'll be the first to apologise.

We can agree to disagree without the need to personalise the discussion.

Let's leave it at that

I don't know, SortingYouOut. I see more and more people wearing masks on the street, the one place where people aren't forced to wear them. There is an obsession with masks in particular in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I’m not attacking you. I was curious as to exactly what you wanted from your posts. It appears you’re talking from each side of the mouth. On one side you’re saying you are not advocating lockdowns or restrictions but coming from the other side it appears you are. The main example is your horror of letting kids spreading the virus between them when someone suggested the government was going for herd immunity . Your reaction to yesterdays cases and vaccine waning. Not to mention your post about hospitalisations will be rising. Then your reply to my post about the boosters. So what’s your solution to all of the above if it all horrifies you?

Regarding vaccines waning, it would seem there is evidence of initial antibodies do wane. That’s actually to be expected. The result is you would more likely become symptomatic. However there isn’t much waning when it comes to protecting from serious illness and death. It’s still quite strong. If you want cases to drop ( seems most are obsessed with this metric) boosters are the way to go. The results in Israel are very good despite only 62% of their population are fully vaccinated.

Advertisement