Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mineral level blood testing question

• 22-10-2021 2:26pm

This came right out of the play book 😂

I had bloods taken from 6 ewes last week, no results yet. Vet said bring the poorest dooers as they will tell problem, so I did.

Watched an episode of The Sheep Game last night and the vet on that said.......... bring me average condition sheep as other could skew results.

Who's right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You'd think either group should return the same-ish result. The poorest dooers having higher deficiencies, but the middle of the road sheep still showing the same deficiencies, albeit at not as bad a level? 🙄

Personally, I would have gone with your vet on this one, and address the poorest. I would have said by doing so, you should improve the entire flock. Whereas going middle of the road, there is a chance you could miss something which may not be as apparent...

But, the real answer is I dont know 😀

Got the results back, then my vet skipped the country so had a bit of a delay!

Talked to another vet in the same practice and we had a long chat yesterday discussing options. Had 6 sheep tested, results broadly showed deficiencies in copper, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and T4 function. Given 3 sheep each from two different parcels of land it's good they showed similar issues. I've a third parcel but will get that tested another time, may not show any issue however with whatever plan we formulate from these results.

Vet is still researching the results looking for patterns and causes.

In the mean time, we're agreed to give the flock two doses of thriver and test again. Have to say the first vet warned me the testing would be expensive and it is! But it'll work out more expensive not to know for the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

What was the ballpark cost out of interest?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eire23

Will you sample again after the second dose of thriver? It will be intresting to see do you notice any difference.

I gave the six month mayo health care bolus to everything here last year. It was the one that was high in copper. Was doubtfull enough about giving it as I didn't know the copper status of the sheep but said I'd chance it anyways. To me the sheep looked very well last winter after it but I've no way of knowing for sure. Keep us up to date on what ye decide is the best way to treat them.

€546 for 6 ewes, looking at about 9 things for each animal.

I'm undecided, spending a ton on various things playing catch up, so I'm in two minds until I talk to the vet again. When we talked last she was trying to figure out how things were relating to each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement