Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Covid death rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If that's the case I will cocooning for a lot longer than I thought I would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

You are better off talking to your GP or another medical advisor to see how to best deal with the situation.

As frustrating as the situation is, people in Ireland have been incredibly accommodating when it comes to dealing with Covid 19. People have put up with incredibly tight restrictions by and large with very little complaint and the vaccine take up has been phenomenal. Compare Ireland to places like the USA where even something as simple as wearing a mask is controversial.

But the problem is Covid is not going away and we have to learn to live with Covid like we do with other diseases such as the flu. A huge part of that is the use of Vaccines and associated boosters. The thing is everyone has their limits. You can't expect people to be as obliging as they have been. At this stage if you think certain things like nightclubs are unsafe etc you are effectively saying you want them banned. You can't keep restrictions indefinitely at some point you either have allow the impacted businesses to open or just outright ban them. The advantage of banning them is that it allows the people now out of work a chance to move on with their lives by retraining/doing something else. You can't hold people in limbo indefinitely. That's incredibly unfair and disrespectful to the people impacted by the business closures.

To go back to the question of the thread. There is a acceptable risk for everything we do and everyone's risk reward calculation is different for a wide variety of reasons. Covid is no different. Everyone's risk perceptionwhen it comes to Covid is different. Its up to society at large to make the decision at a societal level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s of interest to note the various communications , including some on Boards that refer to how good we have been in our compliance re uptake of vaccines, mask wearing , keeping appropriate distances, etc etc as if we are doing it to comply with government advice/regulations/laws and that we don t really have to do it if we do not want to. Or we could comply under massive protest/ begrudgingly, etc, etc.

ARE WE NOT DOING THESE THINGS FOR OUR OWN SELF INTEREST, TO PROTECT OURFAMILY MEMBERS, FRIENDS , ETC..

The government gust gives us the framework as to how to achieve the above because we are not capable of doing it ourselves if left to our own devices.

so this thing of “Are’nt We Great’ does not stack up with me

De facto optional on public transport. Lots of the staff don't wear them and when I was there a week or so ago I noticed fewer and fewer people were wearing them on the tube than was the case when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Thank God.

Didn't have lockdowns. I lived in Sweden earlier this year. That's a lie promulgated by the msm.

• Advertisement

@PeadarCo

"...The thing is everyone has their limits. You can't expect people to be as obliging as they have been. At this stage if you think certain things like nightclubs are unsafe etc you are effectively saying you want them banned. You can't keep restrictions indefinitely at some point you either have allow the impacted businesses to open or just outright ban them. The advantage of banning them is that it allows the people now out of work a chance to move on with their lives by retraining/doing something else. You can't hold people in limbo indefinitely. That's incredibly unfair and disrespectful to the people impacted by the business closures..."

I don't think anyone has said they want nightclubs banned or business closed again. Or for the less vulnerable not to go to them. I don't think that is what is being said at all.

From my point of view, I am high risk and I live with someone who is very high risk. So I definitely won't be attending nightclubs or the like, and being restricted in that way doesn't bother me, as I accept that as part of taking "personal responsibility".

But there are some things high risk people can't avoid doing where they can't avoid coming into contact with others - "cocooning" is not a viable permanent way to live for those who are high risk, either. You can't hold people in limbo indefinitely.

For instance, even though I am high risk (and my employer is aware of this), I am expected to return to work in an environment where I know my less vulnerable colleagues have been engaging in high risk behaviour, and masks are not mandatory. I feel this poses a significant risk to me, that I don't have much control over. I can't quit my job, I have bills to pay, like anyone else.

Before I am accused of it - I'm not asking anyone, including my colleagues, to stop going to their friends homes, or to nightclubs, or doing anything else they want to do that is safe for them, and I don't expect them too. But what I don't think is unreasonable to expect that when they are not doing those things - e.g. at work, or in shops or other public places, or on public transport, if they continue with taking some precautions to protect the more vulnerable they will come into contact with.

For instance, that person that was out dancing in Coppers on Saturday night, could be sitting next to a vulnerable person on the bus on the way to work that week. Or face to face dealing with them as customers in a shop, or simply standing too close in a checkout line in Tescos with their mask under their nose.

In these "daily life" situations, I see no reason why it should be such hardship for the less vulnerable to continue with masks, hand sanitising and yes, maintaining social distancing. If these are the only "restriction" the less vulnerable are being asked to place on themselves, I don't think its too much to ask.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The government should govern the country. Not nanny us, we need less nannystateism, not more!!

Bit for how long? People have been doing it for almost two years. It was supposed to be 'just two weeks to flatten the curve'.

Its been 19 months, so a bit of a ways to get to 2 years, yet. And to answer your question, for however long it takes.

How long to you expect high risk people to continue living in a locked down state? Permanently?

Everything is open. Do what you like. You're not being asked not to live your life. Just to show a little consideration for others while you're doing it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, permanently. If that is what is required.

I cannot swim, I stay permanently out of bodies of water. That is what is required for me not to drown.

5 months isn't a bit of a ways. Remember that it was originally "just two weeks".

What does 'for however long it takes' mean? Until covid is eradicated? Not going to happen. Until everyone had got booster shots? Not going to happen.

I am being asked not to live my life. NPHET are restricting my life, and have been restricting it for close to two years.

It's for those people to decide what to do. If they want to stay inside for years then that's their choice. But a lot of us want to live a normal life. That's a life free of masks, social distancing, vaccine passports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah come on, 5 months certainly is well short of 2 years. At least accept that much. Ask any frontline healthcare worker whether November+December+January+February is a long time.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We don’t...

we have laws, regulations and restrictions as regards roads usage.

Accidents cause road deaths...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

@Gortanna "Remember that it was originally "just two weeks"?

Yes, I do. But that was back in March 2020, when no one had any real clue what Covid was, or what we were facing into, and not just here in Ireland but the whole world. Kind of pointless bringing it up the whole two weeks thing, in hindsight.

A lot of progress has been made in 19 months, and I don't believe this pandemic will last forever - or that covid will be completely eradicated. But its too soon to toss in the towel, its not over yet, and for however long it takes means exactly that - for however long it takes. I'm sure the scientists who've worked hard to find answers since the start of this are very very sorry they can't deliver the definite "end by" date you seem to be expecting.

You may wish the high risk groups would just lock themselves in behind closed doors so you can get on with living your normal life, but they have a right to live as close to a normal life as possible as you do, and that includes going to work to earn a living, going to shops when they need to, using public transport - so unfortunately for you, the Government and NPHET has a duty of care to all its citizens, not just the less vulnerable, so you may find yourself being inconvenienced for some time to come.

Your saying it again and again doesn't make it true. A few businesses closed. That's it. Nothing at all compared with what went on here and in other countries.

in the case of masks in public, for as long as needs be, it will improve the productivity of the work force at least by having less colds etc.

social distancing probably not long more, all though if someone asks you to move away from them then of course do the decent thing and do it and don't be one of those.

"Accidents". Not people speeding, etc. Come back to me when you're ready to be serious. Honestly the most ridiculous comment so far. **** me. 🙄

We all accept a certain level of risk with everything. Covid now joins that list.

We have a number of flu related deaths each year, we accept it, we don't have mandated lockdowns every winter even though it would save people from catching it and dying. We accept the level of risk because preventing it costs too much.

Wake up lads.

• Advertisement

Colds? They were supposed to be for covid. Many feared they would be used for flu and colds.

nphet aren't restricting anything now really.

masks, vaccine passports, not really restrictions and not a big deal, they protect the public from those who refuse to get the vaccine because facebook or da gubament.

we are able to live our lives to the full now, we actually may have been able to do so a lot earlier if it wasn't for a tiny minority who were set on ruining everything for the rest of us.

sorry but those vulnerable have a right to live their lives as well as us and it is not up to them to stay locked up forever so you don't have to wear a mask, or wash your hands which is something grown ups should know to be doing anyway.

me saying it again and again doesn't make it true, but the fact that it is fact and it is true makes it fact and true.

local government across sweden defied the government and implemented local lock downs, because the original policy was a complete failure.

Uneducated people seem to be shocked at the concept of acceptable risk. Perhaps I'm being too harsh on those who haven't ever considered such a topic, since the focus of their lives to date must have been overwhelmed by The X Factor and I'm a Celebrity...

Here's an encyclopedia entry to get you guys started.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/acceptable-risk

Good luck guys.

we don't have restrictions like lock down or social distancing around flue because they actually wouldn't work due to low spreadability.

covid's high spreadability on the other hand required restrictions and still requires a couple for now.

I for one will not be getting a booster shot unless the government clearly outline and end date for all restrictions, I've already done everything that has been asked of me but I've had enough it's time to move on with life and just accept the risks.

Covid-19 for the vast majority is a extremely mild illness and isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future, if the government truly care about the health of the people they need strong policies to encourage healthy eating and not being overweight as well as taking regular exercise, being overweight or obese is one of the biggest risk factors for having a negative outcome with covid-19.

the anti-maskers probably feared that but the rest of us didn't given there was never any talk of them being for colds.

however realistically it actually wouldn't be a bad idea given there was at least, a bit of a proportion of people who had no manners and were coughing and spluttering all over the place and not doing ho grown up things like covering their mouths.

in that case, restrictions would need to remain so as to insure as much as is possible, those who hav got all vaccines, and where required boosters, are protected from people like you who refuse to get one because da gubament, you being the perfect example of people i mentioned in 2 previous posts.

and all for something the government, no government would be able to give you, but which could only be given when the evidence shows they can be removed full stop.

for someone so anti-restrictions you actually seem to want them to continue and seem to want to try and ruin things for the rest of us, something which ultimately you are going to fail at in the end, because the majority of us who have been and will be sensible around this, will ultimately win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Most people wear cloth or light 'surgical' masks. These are about 80% ineffective, meaning they are basically pointless. N95 masks are a different story, but they aren't what the public at large wears..

• Advertisement

Why must restrictions remain permanently why can't we seem to accept that some people will die yes it is a tragedy but it is a necessary part of life?

Whether you like it or not from what I have seen from being out and about in the real world a sizable amount of people are ignoring the restrictions for example I was on a train with a stag party on board who were ignoring the mask rule and nothing happened to them, what I did find hilarious was some woman complained she was massively overweight and I watched her get off at one of the stations and waddle her way down the platform why should the rest of us have to suffer to protect someone who clearly doesn't give a damn about their own health?

Advertisement