Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter - low signal

Options
  • 27-10-2021 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I live in an apartment complex. We have smart meters installed this summer.

Smart meters are located in the underground car park (low mobile network signal)

I have noticed my electricity bill still come as estimated, but I didn't think much about it.

I was looking to switch electricity provider and they have advised me that the smart meter signal is too low. They can not apply any smart benefits to my apartment.

It basically means that I can only use it as "standard", I still need to submit meter readings and no smart features are available to me. Smart plans are much better, there are more options and discount/bonus is much better.

Is there anything to be done in order to improve the signal? 

I was talking with both Electric Ireland and ESB Networks and they told me it is not up to them to improve this. I have contacted management company, but I am not sure are they going to help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

Smart plans are much better, there are more options and discount/bonus is much better.

Many would disagree .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Smart meters are much better for the supplier but they tend to result in a net increase in cost for the end user even when the various discounts are applied.

It will be interesting to see what they do in the OP’s case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Very odd thing , low signal 🤔, can't figure that part of OP's question, seems strange smart meters where installed if single was being blocked or poor, this would defeat the purpose of installation. These meters work off a very low frequency requirement, more of a ping rather than full signal requirement, 2/3g spectrum? I'm open to correction on this.

Also very strange ESB networks saying its not up to them to fix this problem, that's like saying a landlord/management company have to fix a standard meter that's faulty when it's clear no one other than ESB networks are authorised to fix, service or replace an Electric meter in a property, unless I'm mistaken 🤔

Re estimated reading, I'm just speaking from experience, there is a time lag re meters going live from a billing point of view, I was one of the first people to get one, almost two years ago now (very rural, old meter), it actually only went live about 4 months ago. I'm wondering as OP's hasn't gone live, are other providers not recognising the property has a smart meter🤔 I'd assume the time frame for going live has since reduced.

Re smart Tariffs, I'm being plagued to get one bi EI and have looked at them very carefully, extremely expensive and perhaps only suitable for big users, I am not.

Ironically and thanks to fellow posters on Boards, I came across a super saver tariff not actively advertised by Electric Ireland, even though its with them. Rural customers are charged higher standing charges (something I was not aware of, despite being rural 20 years) . The supersaver Tariff is not a smart tariff, factors in expected EI price increases in November, for me, I'll save primarily on standing charges, around €130 PA, obviously there's little I can do about tariff increases 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,415 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The smart meters will be installed wherever the previous meters were. If that's somewhere with poor to non existent 2G reception then it'll act like a legacy meter where reads will be estimated/collected

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

Exactly. It is my understanding too. Smart meters require network signal to send data, and as they are located in the underground car park, the signal is not strong enough.

In my case - I was looking to switch Electricity provider (when you swatch you get better rates as new customer).

I am looking for a flat rate plan. There are smart plans where you can have 2/3 different rates during a day, different rates during weekend, but I think flat would be the best for me ... (average user,). The same option in Electric Ireland for smart plan includes Google Nest, and the standard one doesn't (rates and bonus are the same).

I was talking to 6 different people in Electric Ireland on Friday and ended up with the sales team. The guy on the phone has switched me to the smart plan (it can not be done online in my case due to low signal). He told me my meter will not send data every 30 mins, but 2-3 times a month (not sure are they going to come in person to collect that data). I am happy with that as I get Google Nest and the same rates and bonus as standard plan.

I still did not receive any letter/confirmation where it states I am on the smart plan, I hope he did everything right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,415 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You should be able to get a day/night/peak tariff

Maybe, but I think flat rate is better for me. I would not switch on washing machine etc during night in order to save...it would be too much hassle for small saving. I am average user (2 adults, no kids).

They didn't offer any other rate then flat btw ....I didn't ask as the flat was my first choice. If there is no signal, how they can get the actual usage on the exact hour every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

Are you forced into a smart plan when you upgrade to a smart meter? Can’t you still avail of “normal” plans? And what happens if you’re still in contract on your existing plan when the meter gets upgraded?

I was in contract when my meter was upgraded and I didn't notice any change. My usage was still estimated (probably due to low signal).

I think you could choose standard plan when you switch, even if you have smart meter. I had that option when I tried to switch online. The only difference it does not ask for reading, it recognizes you have smart meter. I am not sure how it would work in my case due to low signal. I didn't proceed to the end to switch, just wanted to see will it ask me for reading or give me any warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

You can have a smart tariff plan, or 24 hour tariff or day / night tariff. When mine was upgraded i stayed on a 24 hour plan for the 6 months remaining on my contract. When i switched to a different provider i moved to another 24 hour contract. Nothing will happen when the meter gets upgraded.

Looking at my usage over those 18 months it would of saved me roughly €35 to be on SSE airtricity smart tariff that they offer now. That's without putting on appliances overnight.

Thanks eeepaulo. I would have thought alright that we'd still be able to avail of the normal tariffs but some people with electric vehicles are saying to steer clear of the smart metres for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It is right for you to steer clear of the smart tariffs, the day night tariff is a no brainer assuming you are charging your ev off peak. But people seem to confuse tariff type with meter type.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I have a Day-Night meter and I won't be installing a "not so smart" meter any time soon!!!

How come? You'll still be able to avail of your current non-smart tariff, even with a smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I have been following the comments from early Smart meter converters in the UK and the overall result seems to be an increase in the total bill. That's all really. It appears that smart metering is a network management tool rather that a consumer money saving device.

Advertisement