Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The coming conflict over Taiwan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If every western Navy in the world were deployed, you still couldn't blockade mainland China.

The only solution to Taiwan, is to stop China getting near it in the first place.

The US need not enter a defence pact with Taiwan in order to defend it. It only need have Japanese assets in theatre and honour the defence pact with that Country.

Besides China know better than to start anything serious against Taiwan. While their aircraft were busy carrying out sorties top side, their amphibious assault ships would be disappearing beneath the waves, for reasons they wouldn't even know about until it was all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Larbre34 If every western Navy in the world were deployed, you still couldn't blockade mainland China..

That's the thing about blockcades ,you don't need to blockade the whole mainland ,you just have to stop large ships getting to the main ports ,and with other political measures countries could easily be persuaded not to allow their ship sail in the first place

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Besides China know better than to start anything serious against Taiwan.

This is my sense too but you can never be sure with such an inscrutable bunch of lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would be rather easy actually. China's Navy is not capable of contesting a blockade by the US. It's fuel and food supplies are very vulnerable to distribution, as it doesn't have viable land routes to supply its population adequately. US could mine china's ports, stand off out of range of its missiles and tell other countries to stop dealing with them. China would have little ability to stop that

If every western Navy in the world were deployed, you still couldn't blockade mainland China

All sea based shipping follows set/planned lanes, which could be intercepted and monitored... and the Chinese navy would be unable to contest it. There's no need to blockade China.. just control the international trade routes. Then use airstrikes on the train links between China and N.Korea or Russia, which would block most of land based transportation. Then there's also the airstrikes on the vulnerable gas piping, or the even more vulnerable linking of electricity (a feat of engineering to do it over the mountains, but so easy to destroy) which is distributed to the main industrial centers outside of the tier 1/2 cites (yes, some have their own power, but that which comes from the nuclear power stations tends to be distributed this way).

It would be relatively easy to demolish a large chunk of China's modern infrastructure and transportation network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Meanwhile China pounds the sh1t out of every American base in the immediate region and Guam...while sinking or damaging every American and vassal warship with hypersonic missiles.

Those air attacks on China would very quickly become very feeble and sparse...and how would the war end?.there is no way in hell America and pals could ever get to Beijing.

China is no Iraq it is the largest and most industrialised nation on earth with hundreds of millions of people of military age and a nuclear power to boot.

Its worth remembering that during the Korean war the Chinese volunteers sent the American army on its longest retreat ever.

And the Chinese fighters in that conflict had no artillery or air support,even so they came within a hairs breadth of driving the US and its vassals off the peninsula ...that was one hell of a feat for an army composed of only light infantry!

Step away from the Beijing koolaid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I could only see Xi Jinping attempting to invade Taiwan if there was a sense that the US wouldn't bite. If there is American intervention, neither side come out well. It's a disaster. America's appetite for war may be diminished though, maybe they would only provide military capability as per their obligations. If they didn't step forward though, it would be another nail in the coffin for them on the global stage.

Beverly Hills, California

You do realise (although I suspect that you're actually unaware) that South Korea and Japan have been naval skirmishing (violently) over islands for decades? Same with Vietnam and Thailand. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find any nation in SE Asia who hasn't been involved in minor skirmishing (minor because they didn't succeed) about the various Islands, fishing areas, etc. China has done little different from the others, except being more successful at it. Even the creation of artificial Islands with military installations wasn't started by them, they just went two steps further by making bigger ones.

People keep trying to find reasons to be annoyed at China.. which I find interesting because we already have heaps of more important reasons not to trust them. The fact that China consistently breaks agreements should be enough to ensure that people not trust them.. but they need more reasons? It's a strange one.

Philippines and Vietnam are also in conflict over islands...with Vietnam even stealing an island from the Philippines when Filipino soldiers temporarily left it to visit troops on a neighbouring island.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile China pounds the sh1t out of every American base in the immediate region and Guam...while sinking or damaging every American and vassal warship with hypersonic missiles.

You have a rather exaggerated expectation of their arsenal, and the kind of reserves they would have available. I'm not disputing that they have the tech, and the ability to produce them, but... those things are expensive. China has had a lot of demands for their resources... I seriously doubt they have many such missiles that wouldn't be reserved for the actual defense of the mainland.

Those air attacks on China would very quickly become very feeble and sparse...and how would the war end?.there is no way in hell America and pals could ever get to Beijing.

Why do they need to go to Beijing? The existing plans for taking on China consist of destroying the Chinese economy and infrastructure through the use of air power, and missiles. The resulting shock to the economy would generate serious social unrest, due to the inefficiencies of the party system (along with the existing corruption) leading to shortages of food, medicine, and electricity. All of which would affect morale, and create chaos that would be difficult to manage.

China is already suffering as a result of natural weather conditions. The addition of coordinated strikes against infrastructure has the potential to lock down large parts of the country, especially if rail and bridges were hit.

I find it interesting that you elevate China as being experts with missile tech, and having the resources available to demolish others, but don't extend the same opinion of the US. Doesn't make much logical sense to me.

China is no Iraq it is the largest and most industrialised nation on earth with hundreds of millions of people of military age and a nuclear power to boot.

I know exactly what China is like... I've lived there for almost 12 years.. I also know the weaknesses of their society and economy. You're giving them far too much credit.

Its worth remembering that during the Korean war the Chinese volunteers sent the American army on its longest retreat ever.And the Chinese fighters in that conflict had no artillery or air support,even so they came within a hairs breadth of driving the US and its vassals off the peninsula ...that was one hell of a feat for an army composed of only light infantry!

Live in the past much? You'd get along well with many Chinese then. Chinese society has moved on with their Ipods, and easy access to food, along with education made available/compulsory for most people. This is no longer an uneducated society conditioned heavily by communist indoctrination. Oh the indoctrination is still there, but it's a very different thing than what went before. There's probably some morons still in the countryside who might fight for the CCP as you describe, but they'll be a minority. Loyalty and belief in China as a nation, yes. Charging machine guns and forced marches while armed with sweet F all? Not going to be successful with that one anymore.

Besides, Mao is well gone at this stage, and CCP leaders have assumed a very different approach to the power of personality, and leader worship. It's just not the same kind of China.

Most Chinese military forces are poorly equipped, poorly trained, and suffer problems with morale. Yes, there are elite regiments, along with a range of professional forces, but China's military is still mostly a third world army. A large one, but still not equipped enough, with reserves to truly consider itself even remotely comparable with the US. They're a military that hasn't fought a conflict in generations, and it's only really the forces based around Taiwan/Zhuhei, that have gotten much in the way of combined military exercises. Very few forces throughout the remainder of the country have received any kind of realistic "practice" in effective wargaming, beyond parades.

Your post there reminds me of what Adolf Hitler said before Barbarossa...and how did that work out for him I wonder!

Oh and the Chinese troops who fought the Indians hand to hand on the border recently didn't exactly look soft and lacking in fighting spirit to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

When was the last violent interaction between the Japanese and South Korean navies as you characterise it?

Didn't happen and they haven't been 'skirimishing violently' for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

China has the capability to carry out retaliatory strikes to this side of the world with hypersonic missiles that can circle the globe

https://www.ft.com/content/ba0a3cde-719b-4040-93cb-a486e1f843fb

Nope. You're correct and I was wrong. I misremembered a series of documentaries thinking there was violence involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If they want to start WW3. But they've been able to do that for decades...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you have the same "meh" reaction when NK tests a missile? What if Iran were to start lobbing test missiles around the gulf?

If the reports coming out about this new Chines missile are true then wether you like it or not its a game changer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

It's a potential deterrence for the likes of UK and France from getting involved in a naval blockade if their home ports can be hit by the Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would have put missiles into China's hacker nests years ago, let alone if they attack Taiwan. Were I running the US, I'd be issuing a warning about incursions into Taiwan's airspace then downing a few when they ignore it.

Look at the problems caused by the global chip shortage, now extrapolate from that to the effect of TSMC being destroyed. The West can't easily afford that.

It’s time the US, Australia, EU, Japan, S Korea and so on, all recognised Taiwan as an independent country and stopped the utterly unproductive nonsense of trying to not ruffle China's feathers. The leeway China has been given on this issue has directly lead to this current crisis. I always thought it was a disastrous mistake, as it signals that China can do whatever it likes without consequences. Same for the hacking; those are acts of war and should have been met with retaliatory strikes.

Being concilliatory towards China doesn't work; if ever there were a case of giving an inch and someone taking a mile, it would be China. I have for decades thought an armed conflict with China is an inevitability.

You do realise that everybody hacks everybody...indeed the NSA most likely has a "backdoor" on the device your using right now 😂

China hacked the Indian national grid, crippling a large portion of it for a lengthy period, which would have lead to deaths. That was an act of war.

The NSA at least seem to have stopped stealing industrial secrets from 'allies' a dcade or so ago, so perhaps someone wised up to the moral danger - hopefully.

"Were I running the US, I'd be issuing a warning about incursions into Taiwan's airspace then downing a few when they ignore it."

You would just shoot them down would you? Talking like Tom Cruise in Top Gun ffs 🙄

Taiwan "airspace" and where the Chinese have been flying.

Note how a large percentage of it actually covers the Chines mainland!

What next? America or Britain should shoot down the next Russian planes that fly close to Ireland just because.....?

"The NSA at least seem to have stopped stealing industrial secrets from 'allies' a dcade or so ago, so"

Are you really that naive?

Any evidence that they've stopped? Obama widened the scope of their operations both in the US and abroad, but there's been very little to suggest that they've lost any authority (or that they would obey any orders) to reduce their monitoring.

The US intelligence services hide behind "black operations" and off the book malarkey. There's really no way to know if the NSA have stopped, and considering the role the US plays internationally, every indication that they have increased operations. Same with all the scandals and political maneuvering that has happened in the US while Trump was in power. I can't see the NSA being shackled considering the amount of information they could provide a political force.

Any reliable link to that hacking Indian national grid claim?

NSA and "morals" now your getting really hilarious 🤣🤣

So which foreign US companies have recently reported concerns the NSA has hacked them and passed their secrets to US rivals? Since the Airbus bid hack to help Boeing, it's all gotten a lot quieter. It's a conscpiracy theory playground without hard evidence.

Personally, were it up to me, I'd have shuttered the Russian embassy here with no warning, invited the UK and US in for a good look, and sent the feckers all home in retalliation for the NHS hack.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement

"Personally, were it up to me, I'd have shuttered the Russian embassy here with no warning, invited the UK and US in for a good look, and sent the feckers all home in retalliation for the NHS hack."

You obviously have no clue about international relations and just like to talk tough on an Internet forum 🙄

Advertisement