Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the road in the video above?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mine? It's the Lower Lucan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Removed the kissing gates at Griffeen down by AGP1.

Dont see the issue with the kissing gates, its easy to get off the bikes and get them through, even my 8 year old can do it.

The reason they can't put bollards there is because they haven't provided the facilities for parking. Same at Griffeen, a small car park where there is two big gaa pitches. Car park wouldn't be enough for any away team arriving.

Then you have parkrun, why the hell do people drive to parkrun when its less than 5k from home.!! Jaysus easy jog or cycle to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

What about those who are less able bodied, trikes, wheelchairs, cargo bikes, buggies, etc? Kissing gates should be removed everywhere.

Sorry, just realised the thread. Kissing gates should probably be a discussion for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If you look at the original twitter post, "someone's going to explain to me that this truck flying along the path is fine and what do I expect the driver to do"

which to be fair is exactly what you'd expect some punter to come out and say.

No one is 'funnelling' the truck down the lane. The truck driver chooses to go down there.

I understand your point, but I'm just tired of people blaming bad driving on things other than the driver...particularly politicians and the media.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ah, i know it. you'd think they could use moyne road as an alternative maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

They are funneled however if they cannot go under the railtrack at Manse Rd and are supposed to go through Baldoyle or Portmarnock villages. I cycle it every day and its always like that - that driver is going much faster than then anyone else i've seen however and its bang out of order. You see cars and particularly SUV's doing it too, again, frequently so its not just haulage.

Its insufficient infrastructure at the end of the day and it has to be fixed at some point, fingal is just trying to make it some future developers problem. I know that some of the houses on the right there are selling out to developers but its gonna take forever to do it that way. My opinion is that they should act in the public interest and CPO and widen the road before something bad happens. I'd imagine thats what David Healy means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Yep but they are set well back. If I lived there i'd want the road widened so maybe not as much opposition as you might think.

Incidentally there is a brilliant opportunity to make an offroad cycle track through a housing estate on the left which would go under the train track and come out at the old chapel opposite chapel road but theres a locked gate in the way. It'd cut out the entire narrow section of that road, including the railway bridge (see earlier near miss) and link up with the planned cycle lanes on Chapel road.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

The passenger door got a belt of a hand - hence the reversing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a near miss with a pedestrian last night in the dark. Should have spotted him but I think I was focused on cars and looking down at the manholes at the time. Annoyed with myself for something that now looks quite obvious...

was kinda amusing yesterday to hear my wife turn the air blue at some dangerously dozy motorist in a big BMW SUV who passed us with less than 50cm to spare. and 300m later another SUV driver overtook us into oncoming traffic, earning a long blow of the horn from said oncoming traffic.

was on the road between the side of dublin airport (the harristown junction) and the NCT centre.

Thats a narrow stretch there - 80k road I assume?

Its a narrow stretch. I go out regularly enough to Collinstown to bring the kids to play their GAA games; and I see some parents cycling out there with children. Its a place that - in an ideal world - you should be able to cycle to with kids. Its not far away. But i'm not sure I'd chance it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Horrible stretch, right by the golf club. Avoid on a bike!

if you want to get from finglas/ballymun out to the airport or near the airport (i see guys on bikes heading to dublin bus and probably other facilities out there, e.g. keelings) there are not a huge number of options.

i'd suggest the road above over the road out past balseskin, as that's much longer but the traffic there is faster. at least the one past the golf club is less than 500m.

i've no issue with cycling it but my wife doesn't enjoy it as she tops out at 25km/h and is much less experienced on the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I normally go out by bakeskin and back by nct and don't have many issues generally.

I used to, but I guess I'm a assertive and fast enough now that most drivers wait

• Advertisement

yeah, i rarely have issues now, i usually put the boot down on those stretches.

i saw one of the bravest/foolhardiest stunts on the balseskin road a couple of years back. a guy on a motorbike deliberately buzzed an oncoming car which IIRC had just passed me around a blind sweeping bend. he missed the car by probably a foot or less (hard for me to be certain though as he was the other side of the car)

I brought my ebike in for a service to Citywest today. On the approach to the N7 from Baldonnell a Callinan Coaches bus driver sped past me against an oncoming car and then immediately turned into what I presume is the new Amazon warehouse. He was insanely close. When I went up to him to ask what the point of it was he just verbally abused me.

200m down the road and coming to the on-ramp for Brownsbarn with another one of their coaches passing in the driving lane a blue BMW buzzed between us again insanely close. Fucker went to the petrol station where again I caught up and of course it was all my fault for merely existing.

What was supposed to be a quick spin down to drop off my bike after work was the worse cycle of my life. What’s the **** point?

Just an update. The coach company has been responsive and is dealing with the driver and will be communicating the importance of safe overtaking to all their drivers. They also will cooperate with the Gardai when ever the traffic watch report is acted on.

I didn’t use a camera because it was just a short trip to drop off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ I commuted to Baldonnel for a year or so and still cycle that way regularly. The roads around Baldonnel Business Park are totally inadequate for the traffic that uses them. The whole area has turned into a logistics superhub - from NVD to Amazon and a heap of other distribution centres. An ideal location, no doubt but the roads are too narrow and winding.

None of the above is an excuse for close passing a cyclist but the roads certainly don't make for a safe cycling environment.

I regularly meet NVD articulated car transporters on this road as well as large 40ft curtainsiders. Lots of tipper trucks due to the construction of additional logistics warehouses that will lead to even more HGVs. There's also the red double decker buses using the back of the old Lufthansa Airmotive site to shuttle Intel staff back and forth to Leixlip during the construction works there.

Imagine being overtaken by an articulated truck here and suddenly another appears oncoming around the bend........ It almost makes the N81 look like paradise!!

That whole area is so built up that Newcastle has been practically swamped by industrial units. I'm sure Celbridge will be next in 10 or so years.

Apologies for the mostly OT post.......................

Post edited by crosstownk on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

How could you possibly have missed him, he was even wearing hi vis!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Startled by a very close pass this morning on a deserted road outside Skerries just after 6am. It was strange because the driver passed me very slowly with their right indicator flashing but didn't really change their position on the road. No aggression/horn blowing so I'm wondering if the driver just lacked spatial awareness. It was dark and wet but I was well lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Usually a half blind auld boy that the family assure themselves is fine "sure he only goes to the shop for the paper"

Weird one this morning. Got passed by a group of cyclists and two of them came easily less than a foot from me while passing. Don't think I've ever had a group pass me that close before. And one of them started blowing snotrockets immediately after having passed me so I took an immediate dislike to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I encountered the same thing about 3 or 4 times on the Tour de Beara this year, without the snot rockets thankfully. Made me think it was on purpose to try to dissuade me from drafting on to the back of the group, which I had no interest in doing anyway. But definitely had that intimidatory vibe to it.

• Advertisement

Also, that happened on the R125 between swords and ashbourne, which is closed, except to local traffic, for works, so it's reasonably wide and very quiet at the moment so it wasn't as if they didn't have more room. And they were riding three abreast on another much narrower road only a few km later.

Advertisement