Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I definitely think its a game which could go either way.

Scotland have selected nobody older than 31 and five players 21 or younger in their latest squad and have a pair of halfbacks at 28/29 who are both coming into the peak of their powers and were already ahead of our ageing pair in the impartial eyes of Gatland for the Lions.

They're actually building for the RWC and will have a nice age profile when they get there, we'll be old and unprepared by comparison. I still can't see it happening but if we're actually still playing a 38 year old Sexton for that game then I would absolutely favour Scotland. Even if we're not it'll probably wind up being another Carty/Madigan situation of an underprepared and inexperienced 10 getting exposed at the highest level.

Now is the time to prepare the successor to prevent this and it's so dispiriting to see Sexton's continued selection. We just all know how this is going to end come RWC time, we've seen it all before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

That's not what you said though.

"It could go either way" is a big backtrack from "I can't see us beating them"

We've played 5 won 5 against them since 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Scotland didn't have 2 games in the summer to look at new players due to covid.

As a result could could say there are behind us in preparation.

We used the summer to rest the older players and look at new players. We can build on that in this window and into the 6 nations.

They have to use this window differently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Or alternatively, Scotland have been so poor for the last decade. No one over 31 is worth keeping around. Finn Russel may well be more durable than Sexton at this stage but he’s still always going to be flaky Finn. Gatland brought him as a break glass in case of emergency selection.

Scotland have turned so many corners at this stage that they’ve been around the block 20 times and ended up exactly where they started. It’s easy to make loads of changes if no one puts their hand up to stay in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I had a watch back, just out of sheer pig-iron, and this is completely wide of the mark. All his involvements below.

59 mins: Quality flat pass to Crowley off a lineout. DDA knocks on.

64:40: 3 phases, all good passes. Ends with Healy grubber.

65:30. 5 phases starting with another quality skip pass to Goggin off a lineout. Some good passes here, and Munster using the width of the pitch. Admittedly one phase with slow ball to Beirne where he has to dig it out, but could've done better. Ends with a poor pass from DDA, causing a knock-on.

68:20: Good tackle, attempts choke with POM, slows Ospreys ball.

69:10 Decent box-kick exit from just outside out 5m.

72:40: Grubber, reclaims return kick and passes to Daly to counter. Coombes caught for crossing in front of DDA on this phase, a couple of passes later.

74:00 Brilliant cover tackle from a break off an Ospreys maul, opens a jackal attempt for Hodnett and Coombes, Munster win penalty.

75:15 Quality box-kick to the tramlines, Liam Coombes blocked from competing.

76:25 Decent pass to Wycherly, followed up box kick exit that was a touch too far.

78+ Two poor passes when under massive time pressure.

The last 2 mins were poor, when things had to be forced, but beyond that and one phase where he dug out slow ball, he had a good performance.

Some people seem to have a preconceived notion of Murray. His performance off the bench here was far from terrible, in what was a terrible performance from Muster themselves. DDA on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭phog

I actually thought we had Wales in our group but the way we're playing atm and if we don't have an outhalf that steer a team around the field then I'd have a concern that Scotland could do one on us on a one off occasion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Even if we're not it'll probably wind up being another Carty/Madigan situation of an underprepared and inexperienced 10 getting exposed at the highest level.

This is laughable at this stage. The problem in 2015 was not that Madigan was underprepared or inexperienced, it was that he was nowhere near as good as Sexton. Never has been, never will be and never would have been no matter how often he'd been played.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Jesus Christ, how is this stuff still going!? Has it not been disproven a hundred times over at this point?

Lets look at it position by position:

Loosehead: Porter (25), Healy (34), Kilcoyne (32), O’Sullivan (25). Average Age: 29. Not a great age profile but we have moved Porter in here to massively improve it and have been actively at O’Sulliavan. We are short on props here so not much more we can do.

Hooker: Herring (31), Kelleher (23) and Sheehan (23). Average Age: 25.7. That’s a decent age profile, especially with Kelleher and Sheehan going so well.

Tighthead: Furlong (28), Bealham (30) and O’Toole (23). Average Age: 27. That’s a reasonable age profile for that position but again, we are short on props.

Lock: Henderson (29), Beirne (29), Dillane (27), Ryan (25) and Baird (22). Average Age: 26.4. Nothing wrong with that age profile at all.

Back Row: POM (32), Conan (29), VDF (28), Timoney (26), Connors (25), Doris (23) and Coombes (23) Average Age: 26.6. That seems a pretty decent age profile to me as well.

Scrum Half: Murray (32), JGP (29) and Casey (22). Average Age: 27.7. Casey has been fast tracked and that suggests that Doak may well be before too long too. We’re going in the right direction here even if the age profile could be better.

Out Half: Sexton (36), Carbery (25) and Harry Byrne (22). Average Age: 27.7. Sexton was deliberately left out in the summer because we want to develop the younger guys. Harry Byrne was identified from the very start of Farrells tenure as a guy he wanted to fast track and has been in Ireland camp at every available opportunity since Farrell took over. Again, we’d like a slightly better age profile but we’re doing what we can.

Centres: Aki (31), Henshaw (28), Ringrose (26), Hume (23) and Frawley (23). Average Age: 26.2. Also a decent age profile.

Wing: Earls (34), Zebo (31), Conway (30), Lowe (29), Stockdale (25), Keenan (25), Larmour (24) and Balacoune (24). Average Age: 27.8. A bit mixed here but still 4 guys 25 or under so really not that bad.

Tighthead and Scrum Half are the only positions that we don’t have more than 1 guy aged 25 or under. And hopefully Doak will come in to change that over the next 6-12 months. And of those players aged 25 and under there’s very few that we couldn’t see going to the RWC. Meanwhile of those aged 30+, there’s a good few that we can be sure won’t be playing for Ireland by then. The likes of Earls and Healy for example.

We don’t have the youngest squad going, but we’re doing just fine. Scotland, like Australia and France, haven’t exactly been lighting the world up over the last decade or so. Yet they seem the be the go to teams because “look, young ‘uns”.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

"69:10 Decent box-kick exit from just outside out 5m."

Munster turned over the ball and he was nowhere to be seen at the ruck. Clearing kick at next ruck was ok.

72:40: Grubber, reclaims return kick and passes to Daly to counter. Coombes caught for crossing in front of DDA on this phase, a couple of passes later.

Grubbered the ball to no one, just kicking away possesion when they needed to score

75:15 Quality box-kick to the tramlines, Liam Coombes blocked from competing.

Kicked away possesion again with only a few minutes left. Wrong option again

76:25 Decent pass to Wycherly, followed up box kick exit that was a touch too far.

another poor kick with time running out

78+ Two poor passes when under massive time pressure.

Sloppy play but he wasn't the only one.

Granted terrible might have been a bit harsh but he was poor with a lot of errors for a 20 min showing

• Advertisement

Oh it was, wasn't it

In that case, don't mind me

Post edited by TRC10 on

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Scotland have a scratch side out this weekend as they haven't access to any player outside of Scotland.

Anyone drawing conclusions from this side is wasting their time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In 2 years time there could be more new blood in the picture! It would not be weird to see some of the u20's from the last 3 seasons make ground. I thought that some of the players were outstanding. Some that come to mind would be Stewart at Ulster. Kendellen at Munster; Penny and Soroka at Leinster. Some players progress quickly while others take some time! Who would have predicted Hugo Keenan playing for Ireland?

The prop stocks are not too bad, imo. I believe that one of Milne or Wycherly will be a top level lh. On the other side, Sam Ilho is a good shout to be a good player. I was also impressed with Donnelly at Munster. Then there's Clarkson at Leinster . Injured at the moment, but he's been good when I've seen him.

In the backs Jennings looked superb as did Osborne. Finlay at Ulster was top class too. Overall, we have a good group of young players. It won't be long before they are pushing there way into the domestic squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Is there anything to be said for just promoting the entire under 20 team now. They'll get invaluable experience at the 2023 world Cup so by the time 2027 comes we'll be sure to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭jacothelad

People all seem to have left Marty Moore out of the list of props. I think in their mind they often seem to see an overweight and unfit guy when this is really no longer the case. He certainly is Ulster's starting T/H and is really blossoming in open play. His scrummaging is top class and he has really good hands in play. He is never going to be a Furlong rampaging over others but he should not be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Farrell doesn't seem to rate him that highly, for whatever reason. I think I'd prefer him in the XXIII versus NZ instead of O'Toole or Bealham.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's all fair enough, but the issue isn't with posters on Boards. In three years since coming home I don't think he's been involved in as much as a training camp with Ireland.

Whether he's just not rated or whether he dirtied his bib with IRFU, it won't be happening for him.

I wouldn’t be shocked if it was the latter in some ways. But given our lack of depth at both LH and TH it would be a poor case of biting off your nose to spite your face. Do we have enough in the way of other options to do that?

Whats his injury profile been like since coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I would have thought his injury profile may have been part of the issue? He does the basics very well but is he the man you want who ends up being isolated out wide in defence? I know this is an issue with most props but I’d be particularly worried with Moore in open play. With the game seeming movingly towards a higher tempo, this might be holding him back?

What’s the latest with Jack McGrath? He had a few videos up last year where he showed his rehabbed hip motility which at one stage he couldn’t move past 30 degrees and he was getting 90 degrees of flex after.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,471 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd be much more worried about a system where a prop end up defending out wide!

Marty is absolutely fine in the tight. He just needs to put in performances that demand selection. That's very hard to do as TH as a lot of the time THs big performances are about doing the technical basics very very well.

They're not many Furlongs in this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I just have bad memories of Best and Ross finding themselves in midfield against Argentina in 2015 for one of their tries :o

Oh God, they were the shooters. Sadly I remember it well. We really were fecked that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bealham has been in absolutely flying form this season anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Sexton needs to shuffle off the Eire stage. Not that many games left before the World Cup and all are vital for giving experience to a Non geriatric out half

I think a relevant point on Scotland's win over Tonga yesterday, is 6 of their 10 tries were scored by backs.

When we scored 10 v the USA in the summer, only 3 of our tries were scored by backs.

In the 6 Nations, Scotland's backs scored 14 of their 18 tries. Ireland's backs scored 5 out of our 12.

I think that says a lot about how the two teams try to play.

I'm hoping to finally see some evolution in our attacking game this Autumn, but I'm not holding my breath.

He made a change in bringing POC in as forwards coach and there was a visible improvement. I may be being harsh here but as long as Farrell keeps his buddy Catt as attack coach, I don't see our attack improving.

I'm looking forward to this November window. I think we're going to learn a lot about where we're at as a team. The big question mark over Farrell is, was the England game a catalyst for a good run of form and a sign of things to come? Or was it a typical flash in the pan performance on the last day of the 6 Nations...

Here's the breakdown of tries scored by backs in the 2021 6 Nations (excluding games against Italy)...

Wales: 10/13

Scotland: 8/10

France: 7/11

England: 5/6

Ireland: 2/6

I think that says a lot and frankly, is pretty alarming. In 4 games against decent teams, our backs only managed 2 tries. And 1 was Henshaw pouncing on a loose ball from a kick to nothing from Sexton and the other was a pre planned move off a lineout. Our back play isn't good enough, plain and simple.

I don’t care who scores our tries. Against the Scarlets a few weeks ago all of Leinsters 7 tries came from forwards. That didn’t mean the backs weren’t performing. That was one of the better displays of attacking rugby I’ve seen in some time from 1 to 15. It was such a joy to watch.

Ultimately Ireland’s attacking game as a whole just isn’t good enough. And sure a lot of that is on the back line, but not all of it. If you look at the French game for example, our back line made more metres than theirs and beat more defenders. It was up front where France did the damage.

Our pack made 127m to their 184m. Our forwards beat 9 defenders to their 12. Their starting front row alone made 75m and beat 5 defenders. Ours made 2m and beat no defenders. All that from 68 carries from Irish forwards and 50 carries from French forwards. Ours passed 26 times to their 19 passes. To me that shows that France had a far more effective pack going forward. They were utilised less (less carries and less passes) but made far more inroads than we did. They spread their workload far more evenly with 5 of their starting forwards making double digit metres. Only 2 of our starting forwards managed that.

We need more variety in our game IMO. Too often we go through the same players. Stander was central to our carrying game up front, accounting for 46% of our packs metres, 26% of their carries and 19% of their passes. So shut him down and you’d have hampered our attack badly. Our front five aren’t being used much at all in an attacking sense. Against France our starting 1-5 made 8m and beat 2 defenders. Kelleher came off the bench and made 28m, beat 2 defenders and scored a try in 34 mins. We need more of that from more of our pack.

Sexton is the man in the back line that everything goes through. Make his life hell and our back line are screwed. So if we have a pack that plays a bit more ball, better and with more variety and then throw in a genuine second play making option into the back line then we could transform our attacking game. Leinster at the moment are so good because defences simply don’t know where the ball is going next. Ireland need to get at least closer to something like that.

That was one of the better displays of attacking rugby I’ve seen in some time from 1 to 15. It was such a joy to watch.

It was an efficient, effective dispatching of a poor team, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a joy to watch. Teams like Japan, New Zealand and France are a joy to watch. The tries were nearly all penalty tries, driving mauls or pick and jams. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about it, it was a job well done. But Leinster won't be able to beat the good sides by only scoring pick and goes and driving mauls.

But Leinster don't worry me as I know they are well capable of being creative. It's Ireland's attacking game that worries me. In 2 years we've seen nearly no ability to create space, capitalise on numerical advantages or release players off the cuff, barring one or two glimpses here and there against the likes of Italy and the USA. There were also some positive signs v Japan but that was a very open game with lots of space for both teams.

It's certainly not down to a lack of talent or ability.

Leinster also offloaded 17 times. The lowest metres run by any of the starting 11-15 was Frawleys 28m. The average metres made by those 5 players was 52m. We made 11 clean line breaks. We were keeping the ball alive and passing out of contact regularly. That’s why it was a joy to watch. The pace we looked to play at and the ambition we showed was great.

Regardless of the opposition the point I’m making is that the back line played well, whether they got on the scoresheet or not. And that it was a complete team performance from an attacking sense. Everyone was involved. Whoever ended up crossing the try line is pretty much irrelevant. We got into scoring positions playing positive 15 man attacking rugby.

Contrast that to Ireland, where we often have our starting front 5 making little or no impact on our attacking game beyond clearing out rucks etc. While that’s an important job, when there are 5 of your players on the pitch who defences don’t really need to worry about from a carrying perspective that makes the defences job far easier. We need to mix it up more. If we develop our attacking game, increase our try count, win games like the France game that we could arguably have won and still see the forwards scoring most of our tries, will we really care about the numbers on the jerseys?

• Advertisement

will we really care about the numbers on the jerseys?

No of course not. I probably should have said "attack" rather than "back play"

But even still, our backs score a disproportionately low amount of tries. England scored the same amount of tries as us yet their backs scored 5 to our 2. Our backs only score 1/3 of our tries, that's pretty poor. So even if we get more variety in our attack, there is still a deficiency in our back play.

It tells us that we favour bludgeoning our way over rather than utilise our guile and skill. That works against teams we can overpower i.e. USA, Scotland, Italy and sometimes Wales, NZ or Australia, but up against France, England or SA it will always leave us coming up short.

It's also far more physically demanding and thus isn't sustainable week after week, which makes it highly unsuitable for World Cups.

We need to be able to use our backs to score tries and right now we can't do that nearly well enough.

Advertisement