Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I really do not have the time nor inclination to go chasing you around on semantics.

Simple question. Has the household setting study shown or not that at 38% unvaccinated infections were 50% higher than for those vaccinated at 25% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Simple answer: no. I did you the favour of describing the findings and linked you to the paper, and another similar paper also published this week.

It's not semantics, I dont care if you prefer to not understand the findings, but your interpretation is wrong. I'm not sure why you're being so hostile in your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure if 100% true but for the upcoming hotel dinner dances for the Xmas season will include no dancing

Only in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Dumb it down for us:

1000 vaccinated people infect how many unvacinated people within a household setting?

1000 vaccinated people infect how many vaccinated people within a household setting?

1000 unvacinated people infect how many unvacinated people within a household setting?

1000 unvacinated people infect how many vaccinated people within a household setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not sure if 100% true but for the upcoming hotel dinner dances for the Christmas season will include dancing! Woohoo!

Only in Ireland apparently.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

I miss the lad who bought lots of turtle-necks so he didn't have to wear masks. He was a good fun poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

Can imagine quite a few unvaccinated heading up North for nights out from today. One step over an invisible line and they can go to freedom from tyranny.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes because the inconvenience of going to your pharmacy to get jabbed for free far outweighs the inconvenience of booking a night in a hotel up north and traveling etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not everyone thinks like you. They have their own reasons and this type of commentary will not persuade them otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There is some chatter going on about covid passes in the north. Michelle O’ Neill amongst others seem to be in favour of them. I have a feeling they might be introduced at some stage. Of course i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I think the public and hospitality industry have moved on now anyway from trying to persuade them. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yes laws passed that restrict the ability for all of society from doing things we all take for granted is tyranical IMO.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

If that is what you believe then I`m not who you should be on too. It`s The Guardian, Bloomberg and Prof. Ajit Laljani as those are the percentage from his study which the other two reported.

You appear to be on a mission to prove that it makes no difference if those who become infected are vaccinated or unvaccinated to the severity of infection. Something that study failed to do but which is the real crux of the problem. We can see for here and for other countries that the unvaccinated make up of those requiring hospitalisation and ICU are disproportionately made up of those unvaccinated.

Prof Laljani`s study did not cover that but he is not unaware of it either. He has stated that should fully vaccinated individuals become infected they remain protected against severe disease and death. He also said the emphasis should be on encouragement to avail of the vaccine as the unvaccinated should not rely on the immunity of the fully vaccinated to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

The posters that continue to talk about being oppressed, requiring "papers" and tyranny really need to get a grip, get off the internet and start living life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Many can't live life because of the vaccine passport. The people who talk about inclusivity and equality are also the people excluding and making people unequal.

If that is what you believe then I`m not who you should be on too. It`s The Guardian, Bloomberg and Prof. Ajit Laljani as those are the percentage from his study which the other two reported.

I don't "believe" it, that's the way it is. If you choose to believe articles and posts by non-scientists then that's up to you. I'm posting it for the benefit of everyone here, not just you.

Here are three lines all from the same paper, how all of these can be true at the same time, given the interpretation in your sources:

The SAR in household contacts exposed to the delta variant was 25% (95% CI 18–33) for fully vaccinated individuals compared with 38% (24–53) in unvaccinated individuals. 

The above line is in the abstract, and it's where everybody stops reading

SAR (Secondary attack rate) was not significantly higher in unvaccinated (38%, 95% CI 24–53) than fully vaccinated (25%, 18–33) household contacts (table 1)

"Not significantly higher" in this case doesn't mean "not greatly higher", it means there's no statistical evidence that SAR is higher. Even if the number happens to be bigger in this sample, there is no evidence that it's bigger in the population.

The SAR in household contacts exposed to fully vaccinated index cases was 25% (95% CI 15–35; 17 of 69), which is similar to the SAR in household contacts exposed to unvaccinated index cases (23% [15–31]; 23 of 100; table 2)

This last line says that secondary attack rate is higher for vaccinated people (25%) vs unvaccinated people (23%)

How does the same paper say 1) SAR is higher for unvaccinated people, and 2) SAR is lower for unvaccinated people?

if you choose to believe your sources, that's up to you, but none of these sources have read the work even superficially.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Everyone has the opportunity to get vaccinated, there is no inequality there.

There are people who want to but can't get vaccinated they are not being included due to the threat to their health, that's who you should really be worried about (and get yourself vaccinated to protect them otherwise you're being a hypocrite in pretending to care about the inequality of others).

• Advertisement

Might as well put in the full text, I've bolded the significant line:

All 53 PCR-positive contacts were exposed in household settings and the SAR for all delta variant-exposed household contacts was 26% (95% CI 20–32). SAR was not significantly higher in unvaccinated (38%, 95% CI 24–53) than fully vaccinated (25%, 18–33) household contacts (table 1). We estimated vaccine effectiveness at preventing infection (regardless of symptoms) with delta in the household setting to be 34% (bootstrap 95% CI –15 to 60). Sensitivity analyses using a 14 day threshold for time since second vaccination to study recruitment to denote fully vaccinated did not materially affect our estimates of vaccine effectiveness or SAR (data not shown). Although precision is restricted by the small sample size, this estimate is broadly consistent with vaccine effectiveness estimates for delta variant infection based on larger datasets.9,  16,  17

Their findings (feel free to add the bits around but I'm trying to include all relevant text):

our findings suggest that vaccination alone is not sufficient to prevent all transmission of the delta variant in the household setting, where exposure is close and prolonged. Increasing population immunity via booster programmes and vaccination of teenagers will help to increase the currently limited effect of vaccination on transmission, but our analysis suggests that direct protection of individuals at risk of severe outcomes, via vaccination and non-pharmacological interventions, will remain central to containing the burden of disease caused by the delta variant.

Which is pretty much where Ireland is, getting vaccinations to everyone including teenagers, getting the younger groups vaccinated, getting boosters out and continuing other measures to try and limit transmission.

It's almost as if NPHET is reading these papers and taking action accordingly (as much as I'd be on the side that we should have lifted most restrictions already).

Sure, I can read that paper and squint and say that vaccines are ineffective at reducing transmission, but it's a big stretch, same as if I try and point at real world data and say that vaccines are 100% effective, they're not, but they're by far the most effective weapon (and cheapest) we have against the virus right now beyond full lockdown of everyone for weeks and months on end.

But a lot of people don't want to get vaccinated. It's supposed to be voluntary, but people are being coerced into taking it.

Might as well put in the full text

Yeah please do

The part you bold about vaccines being 34% effective (which is already far lower than people would assume) must be caveated that this is based on figures that are not statistically significant according to the authors. So it might be 34% effective, or it might be 0%, or it might be -34%, it's impossible to say here. The CI goes from –15% to 60%, but again, based on non statistically significant findings.

but they're by far the most effective weapon (and cheapest) we have against the virus right now beyond full lockdown of everyone for weeks and months on end.

I wish this were the case but based on the above I still believe that the only effective measure for this winter will be lockdowns, essentially. Vaccination will continue to be an effective means of reducing danger for at-risk people however.

You're bleating on about inequality, you have the opportunity to get a vaccine, if you don't that is your own choice to live with the restrictions that your choice entails.

Well, we do, but there's a COVID vaccines safety thread over on the CT forum which you can run away from because you can't back this up with any evidence or data.

There is a very high chance that the difference is 34% and a vanishingly low chance that the difference is -34% and a low chance that it's 0%, as I said, if you squint at the data you can start making those claims, but they don't stack up for long and most scientists in the field would disagree with that reading of the data and you are certainly free to comment on it and see if the authors will change their findings.

However, if we're talking about making plans for SARS-COV2 control, then vaccines and treatments and restrictions are all in the mix, vaccines have been and remain our best weapon, they will continue to be deployed as such, their cost to benefit ratio far outweighs the other options. Maybe you'll be right about lockdowns, I don't see any governments wanting to reverse the restrictions so I think it'll be a holding pattern till January, but it's all dependent on hospitalisation and ICU numbers.

So what are you suggesting now, that Professor Ajit Lalvani hasn`t read a study that he is credited as the author off ?

Lets be honest here. You are attempting to show that it is irrelevant where infections are concerned if a person is vaccinated or not, while attempting to avoid that large elephant in the room, the severity of the infection and the numbers that will require hospitalisation and ICU treatment.

The number of infections is not the problem, it`s the numbers that will require treatment, and we see here and elsewhere that the numbers of those unvaccinated needing treatment are greatly disproportionate to their percentage of the population when compared to those vaccinated.

While Prof Lalvani`s study did not address, which in essence is the real problem the pressure on health services, when it comes to those vaccinated and those not he did point out that should fully vaccinated individuals become infected they remain protected against severe illness and death. He also encouraged the uptake of the vaccines and that the unvaccinated could not be relying on the immunity of the fully vaccinated for protection.

You can read that anyway you wish. Even ignore it, but I do not see any evidence that the author of a study you are attempting to use to show that vaccines are ineffective agrees with you. The polar opposite in fact.

You're missing the point, or else choosing to miss it. They are not voluntary if being allowed to half take part in society depends on your being vaccinated. And it's absolute hypocritical to claim to be for inclusivity and equality while excluding people and making them unequal.

if you squint at the data you can start making those claims, but they don't stack up for long and most scientists in the field would disagree with that reading of the data and you are certainly free to comment on it and see if the authors will change their findings.

No I'm not squinting, I'm reading what they say. This isn't my malformed reading of the data, it's the central finding of the work.

I take all your points, specifically, that the study is about transmission only. As you say, it doesn't address hospitalisation or anything else, it's just about transmission. As such, I'm only commenting with regard to transmission. The claim was made earlier that the unvaccinated are transmitting more than the vaccinated, but the study does not show this. The authors themselves in the paper say it doesn't show this. Severity and hospitalisation is a different, important, discussion.

Your better off not following floorpie down the rabbit hole of confidence intervals to prove that down == up at this stage.

edit: I would add that floorpie is right that the paper is only concerned with transmission and not with other vaccine effects, the paper shows that transmission in household is reduced but not as much as first thought for vaccinated. floorpie is reading it to support the narrative that we shouldn't be vaccinating further people, I, for example, have adjusted my expectations around what vaccines can do with case rates based on this data, but I don't have a narrative to try and justify.

You clearly don't understand what inclusivity means, everyone has the same opportunity, what you do with that opportunity is up to you, the fact that you're making choices that put you into a position you don't like is solely down to you, you have to own that.

• Advertisement

Your better off not following floorpie down the rabbit hole of confidence intervals to prove that down == up at this stage.

Vaccines are approved on the basis of statistical testing and confidence intervals. You can't pick and choose which statistics you'd prefer to believe, without justification

I, for example, have adjusted my expectations around what vaccines can do with case rates based on this data, but I don't have a narrative to try and justify.

You could have done this six months ago if you'd listened to the evidence

Advertisement