Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jaysus . That carry on is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

and why would you refuse membership to this bandit?

What needs to be asked here

Wonder what your mans motivation is ? - Imagine having to present that dude with your prize (I'd be physically sick)

I'd be concerned about a few things.

1) Are the prizes getting too large - seen prizes recently and I could see how people are turned.

2) We all know a casual round is a casual round - it seems a bit silly and against the grain and too easy, to count what is just a knock around - your then doing this with a friend - it all seems a bit idealistic and lacking true integrity. I'm marking this up - that ok - yes grand.

3) And I've said it a few times - but with that sort of range of handicaps - get rid of the overall comp (but can't see people agree with that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well as somebody who's never recorded a casual round in their own club, I have done so in others that I would consider special and worthy of recording. So this year Mount Juliet and a number of courses in Portugal. All of them brought my handicap down, so there's that. Another thing I've come across (and wouldn't even have thought of it) is that five day members play them as they don't have access to weekend comps without paying more. Or perhaps they're not available at weekends, but you get the idea. I can also understand a lad playing one if they can't make a weekend comp, but not regularly.

There's also the stated objective of allowing casual rounds which is to encourage people to keep their handicaps up to date.

I can sort of understand the overall comp thing, but you have to have the numbers to make that work. And that really doesn't deal with the real or perceived problems with major comps that will of necessity have an overall prize. And these are the ones that get brought up time and again. Somebody winning the Tuesday Open or the Friday nine hole really isn't it.

Big monetary value prizes isn't something all clubs have (in my experience). In fact if I was to point fingers, it's the 'specials' like rumbles and team events that seem to get rogered the most. We had one in our club and a group of visitors turned in an eye-watering score that had never even been come within an asses roar of before and walked away with the top prize. That still rankles with me because I knew we were taken for a ride. But you learn and move on and we'll never be caught like that again. And I still might send their card to their h/cap sec. 😈

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I have to say I'd be in agreement with Fix regarding the casual round. I couldn't ever seeing myself doing this. Ever. Why? Because casual games are just that. They are to relax and enjoy for the walk and chat. Maybe take in the odd extra practice chip if there's time and what not. Play different tees during the round. Holiday type golf with your mates, or a quick 9 before work or after work. Who cares what one shoots, seriously, who cares.

• Advertisement

Yes, if your intention when starting out is to play casually, that's what you'll do. And 'casual' is actually not the correct word to use in this context, they're called general play rounds for a reason. Any time I play another course, it's usually an open competition, but that's not always possible. I'm not going to play that course, taking extra shots and hitting two or three from the tee or doing putting practice whilst having a laugh with my mates. I'm going to take it seriously because I've paid good money to play there and I'm damned if I'm walking off that course not knowing whether I played it well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When I'm out for a practice round, I do exactly that. Practice.

When I'm out for a casual counting round for my handicap, I play it just like I'm playing a competition. One ball(hopefully), me versus the course!

2 of my 8 counting rounds for my handicap are casual rounds

Ok I hear you.

It just seems it ain't for me, nor any of the gang I'd regularly play golf with in my club.

On a trip away to Donegal, out if a group 11 troops spanning 4 different golf clubs, I heard after the first game, one of the lads decided he was gonna casual count his round for handicap purposes and spent the 1st 7 holes in a flap of the GI app not working so he didn't know his CH or PH or whatever. The others just telling him yer nuts just enjoy the views yer on holidays.

Anyway, each to one's own

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

It's not usually such a stress!

You're all correct. Casual rounds aren't treated as seriously as competition, no getting away from that. But if I was just to do competitive, my counting rounds would be stretching back into 2019. And I'm playing less these days. It's more accurate to do the casual I reckon.

Yeah, that's fair. If I was to play a GP round in my club I'd have difficulty keeping my concentration going. Having said that, I'd like to try it with a particular goal in mind such as beating my previous best or something like that. But it would be difficult in an environment where you're normally used to playing competitively and that element isn't there. Much easier at an away club where you have to concentrate because it's unfamiliar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

There’s a guy in our club that at the turn of the year was a scratch golfer when the new system came out. He played all of May and then went quiet in July. Wasn’t on any time sheet and wasn’t handing in cards. In May and June he was playing every competition he could get his name in and his highest score was about 20 points.

He came back into competitions in mid July off 6 handicap and over the summer he won the Captains Prize, Presidents prize and one or two other big comps. He told people he took some time off from the game as he was playing terrible. Not the case. He was up playing casual golf 5 days a week either first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening and didn’t want people to see him. He took the handbrake off for the big events and is now back to scratch again. A young lad of about 18 won his first competition off a big handicap in the Professionals prize and beat the scratch player in a count back. What did he do? Stood up the night of the prize giving and said he wasn’t accepting the prize as the young lad was essentially cheating and his handicap wasn’t right. There was murder in the club over it and someone has mentioned a solicitors letter has now been issued but I don’t know to who or what the story is. It’s all being kept very quiet.

In my eyes, what he was doing was cheating yet some people don’t see it that way. His line is that he was out of form but I don’t buy it at all. It’s a big problem in some of the clubs in Cork but what can you do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

9 hole comp and placing in place in fairways yesterday yet it still appears to be a counting comp! All the 22 and 21 pointers getting nice little cuts for their efforts yesterday

I assume that by "casual golf" you mean general play rounds that he was submitting scores for. Otherwise, I can't see how he could have shifted his handicap out to six.

On general play rounds, there are a few things clubs can do to ensure that at least they are properly submitted. Golf Ireland produced a sample sign in sheet that clubs can use for this purpose. Basically you must sign in on this sheet before commencing your GP round and you must submit a properly attested scorecard afterwards. Failure to do either or both means that round is deleted from your record.

In the handicap review process, differences between competition and GP rounds are also examined. So there are mechanisms for clubs to review these members and make handicap adjustments as required. These must also be submitted to Golf Ireland, so there's scrutiny over the process. So there is something that can be done about it, assuming that here is something untoward happening.

What an absolute clown.

The only thing that doesn't sound right with this story is the 5 days a week thing - to attest a round, you still need a guy to play with you. He still had to put himself on time sheet - and get someone to attest ?

Anyway it is all sad - because it is very useful for people with different work lives , to be able to maintain their handicap when they can not get into club comps.

Look it is a system of honor and designed with the assumption of honesty - impossible for a system to consider human nature and the madness of Irish people.

But again - whilst I love the idea of being able to enter a self made counting event, when the club stuff is out of reach. It just ignores the reality of human nature - and going down 3 times with your mate - and have say 3 counting events in week , none of them with a 3rd party , you are on a temporary bad run of golf (and know this) / playing casual stuff - seems very odd / uncomfortable for me.

But cheaters - will cheat.

That kind of messing would look very obvious on this report. The discrepancy between competition scores and general play scores would stand out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

He was up playing 9 or 10 holes five times a week. We’re under no obligation to hand in casual/practice round cards in our club. He wasn’t entering competitions and then when he started entering again he was a scratch golfer getting shots that he shouldn’t have been. Hosed up in a couple of competitions including Captains Prize and Presidents Prize.

He handed in terrible cards to get his shots back, took time out from competition but played a few hundred holes of golf and then came back with a bang. To then have the audacity to throw his toys out of the pram and accuse a young chap of being dishonest (when he wasn’t being dishonest. I played with the young chap a couple of times and his handicap was correct). From a grown man, absolutely pathetic behaviour and made even worse from the fact he’s a cheating bastard himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But they are not always casual.

I always register my round when I’m playing in the boards outings. They are casual rounds, but the game in the day is anything but casual.

last week I played in a 3 course tournament so scores were being handed in. We also had money on the line in our group of 12. So the 2 rounds which I was able to register as casual rounds, well yep they weren’t really casual!

Yeah. I think we need to drop the word 'casual' from this. Casual implies very little interest in the outcome and you're just out for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Prawnsambo, what would you consider a red flag in that report.

i was looking at it last week and there was some big swings. Low guys that had more than 60% of their rounds as GP. Average GP ND was 4 shots lower than the average comp ND. Artificially low handicap

What would you consider as low guys? Old category 1 or < scratch ?

• Advertisement

Well for starters the GP to Comp ratio. I'd be looking at anything over 20% GP, alongside the number. So 20% of less than 10 rounds would not be significant, but of a higher number, maybe. Also the time period. All together is a bit of a red flag in itself.

A big discrepancy between the averages either way would be a red flag, but I'd have a look at them. You might find that there's a high proportion of away scores in there or it may coincide with a general slump or improvement that's also reflected in comp scores from around the same time. And obviously the higher number of comp scores would flatten that curve on the comp side which would give rise to the discrepancy.

Things to remember about this year too. Like in the early stages after re-opening, competitions were in a kind of a limbo. Not really allowed until later on, so there would have been a few GP scores in from that time period.

It's a good report to flag things for further investigation. That and the handicap change report and the handicap review report. Then look at overall wins and places and see if there's a pattern. Sometimes it's just statistical anomalies and there are no issues really.

It's impossible to balance stopping people manipulating their handicap with designing a system that gives people a fair handicap. Because for 1, where that balance should lie is a matter of debate - some people want it made far more difficult to increase your handicap and some are happy that the handicap will reflect someone's playing ability quicker than the old system did. And secondly, what is a fair handicap is also a matter of debate - some feel it's whatever someone will have a reasonable chance of hitting 36 points from next Sunday and some feel it's whatever someone will have a reasonable chance of hitting 36 points from when they practice, play regularly and play smart.

I also agree with Fixedpitchmark above that the prizes are too large in Ireland. Do we really need golf bags, shoes, etc as prizes? I don't understand why they need to be as large as that. It definitely gives people motivation to cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Careful now! I brought up an identical situation to that on here and was accused of being a sore loser....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I used to always know (ball park) if a round was going bad that I might be able to dig in coming down the stretch and grind out something that might get me in the buffer. Playing now, it's easy to give up when a round has gotten away from you. There is nothing to play for anymore by digging in. The score is just not going to count ☹️ BUT... the problem is when you have a few of them and all of a sudden your good rounds are dropping out of your counting scores, one or 2 of these bad ones which you had given up on are now counting. You really need to change the mindset now and fight hard on every game you play. I've struggled with this concept and now find myself in this position and I'm not happy because my handicap now reflects to many poor scores and doesn't take any account of any potential I have. Wasn't it always said that your handicap is not something you should be shooting every week, but rather 1 in 8 goes or something like that?

I'm happy to share my handicap trend here which for me, highlights a big flaw with the WHS.

I've hovered around the 12 mark for a fair few years now. I'm a streaky player, I don't really practice but I can hit the shots. It's just that I am not consistent. So on balance I'll usually get a few cuts in a year and a few .1's back to generally even things out. Last year, I was out of work and was playing twice or even 3 times a week. I could have a run of a great 9 holes but always found it hard to stitch 18 together. However the more I was playing the more consistent I was getting. In over 30 years, the best score I've ever shot on my home course was +10. I was off 13 in August 2020 and matched my best ever score to win the captains prize with 39 points. Pretty fair I think you will all agree. The following week I shot an even better score of +8 to win again. I hit a purple patch and my handicap was cut to 9.5 with the aid of an ESR. A few buffer rounds and a few .1's followed and when WHS was turned on I think I was 10.3 under CONGU. Overnight I jumped to 11.6.

Golf this year for me was different. Work is flat out and a hard labour job in my garden with nearly all of my spare time left me physically tired and aching when I played. So my scores were not really any way good, but that's not to say I didn't have a few decent holes. I have now gone out to 14.3 which is a joke. This give me 16 shots on my away course (which I actually find easier because it's more forgiving). I am way better than that. I have played in captains prize there and even failed to qualify. I would really love to win a medal there I haven't even been close, (even when it was won with a 70 last month). So it should be clear to see that I'm not gaming the system when I can't even qualify or feature in the ones I really want to win when I have 6 more shots than I had at the same time last year. I've just been poor lately and WHS has destroyed my handicap and to be honest a bit of my confidence has gone when I think about having so many shots. I would be worse only for the fact that 4 of my best 8 were from general play scores submitted (mainly playing with boards). My best counting score this year was as close to a practice round as you can get which was a 9 hole with my neighbour registering a 10.1 SD.

So the new system! Fundamentally I think it is a good, simple and fair system, but it has its flaws with the main one being that there is to much fluctuation allowed. Going out 3 soft shots or 5 hard shots is to much and opens the door to manipulation, but not everyone is manipulating it as I have demonstrated. However, I know if I go out now and shoot a score that I and most people who play golf with me, know I'm capable of shooting, there will be daggers thrown at me.

So how do we fix it?

Well firstly, I don't think we should be reinventing the wheel yet again. We have a system now that is used around the world, so lets keep it like that but lets tweak it. As we know WHS quite simply gives us an average of our best 8 Score Differentials out of our last 20 rounds. For some people, those 20 rounds might just go back to September but for others they could go back years. WHS allows us to go back 3 years.

Sure we want a reflection of our current form but we also want something in there to reflect our ability.

As it stands the basis of how much ones handicap can go up is the lowest HI with in the last 12 months. In my opinion this is where the flaws and manipulation stem from so lets change it. We have 3 years records on file, let's use them. What is the average of our best 8 scores over those 3 years? We can use this as a reflection of our ability and nobody should be allowed to drift anymore than 3 shots from that with no need to worry about hard and soft caps as they are just messy and unnecessary.

So what does this do for an honest golfer like myself. Well I've worked out my best 8 score average of the last 3 years and it's 8.7. My HI should be capped at 11.7. A fair reflection of my current dip in form, but also notes that I have potential to do better.

And what does it do for the guy who wants to game the system and throw in a few decent attempts each year to win a big one. Well it stops him from washing those scores out nice and quickly and jumping his HI.

I've just been poor lately and WHS has destroyed my handicap and to be honest a bit of my confidence has gone when I think about having so many shots.

This bit struck me. I would take from this that you're perhaps too invested in what you think your handicap should be despite admitting that your current playing standard isn't even matching your current handicap. This is the essence of WHS. You refer to 'potential' which was the supposed point of the CONGU system but is no longer the yardstick by which handicaps are measured against.

As we know WHS quite simply gives us an average of our best 8 Score Differentials out of our last 20 rounds. For some people, those 20 rounds might just go back to September but for others they could go back years. WHS allows us to go back 3 years.

It allows it, primarily because of the real problem of people not maintaining their handicaps. A number of changes (general play scores for instance) mean that (imo) very few people will be going back more than a year. If I went back three years on my record, I would be picking the best eight rounds out of over 150. And a lot of golfers would be in that boat. That's not even slightly indicative of ability. It's almost like basing your income on how many times you won the lotto (this is obviously exaggeration for effect 😁).

...and nobody should be allowed to drift anymore than 3 shots from that with no need to worry about hard and soft caps as they are just messy and unnecessary.

This is back to the good old days of point ones again. Which people seem to forget was unique to Ireland's version of CONGU. This is the Wrold Handicap System, most of it has been in place in other parts of the world for years. we're not going back to regional difference of that kind of scale. And quite frankly, it's nuts. Imagine telling someone who's form has dipped through injury or lack of practice that they have to play to a standard they only reached three years ago and any change will have to go through the old 'pity' system again, a system that was more honoured in the breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

Would agree. There are mainly two type of golfers, those who play to get their handicaps down and those who play to win comps and see handicaps as an aid to doing this. The latter are the problem and there isn't much that can be done, although I would cap the amount of shots that can be regained in a season at 2 perhaps.

I play to try and get cut, that's my prize. Anything else is a bonus, but handicap is more important to me. I think most people who play a lot of golf are the same. Anyone solely chasing prizes is going to have a lot of disappointments with the scores coming in, even those with a bloated handicap.

In our President's Prize a few weeks ago, I would have needed to shoot -13 gross to win. 59.

Lifestyle changes would be another reason someone's handicap wouldn't reflect their ability under the old system. If someone goes from playing a lot to once every month or two their ability will drop off a cliff. Under the old system, the right thing to do was leave their handicap where it was. They might have an extra shot at the end of the year, even though they'd need an extra half dozen to average the same net scores as before. If they don't get to play much more over the next couple of years, it basically means that they can't compete in a competition for a few years.

Lots of people think this is the way it should be. I don't. I'm glad that guys handicap will go up faster now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

From reading comments on here and other threads over the year, there seems to be (anecdotally) issues in some clubs and not others. I don't know if that's a culture thing, city vs smaller area thing (where people might be more anonymous in a Dublin club for example and "get away" with being a bandit more so than a small town) or just a group of bad eggs in a club. My club has had very few huge winning scores - we did have an issue with a bandit cleaning up this year but he has always been a bandit and I suspect the club are going to do something about it now.

Also, this was year 1 of the new system. They were never going to foresee every issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Would it be worth making the soft cap a firmer one? Would still allow a 3 stoke movement up, but then having it in the hands of the handicap committee to trigger the allowance of the hard cap to start calculating? I know its adding another job to volunteers though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Bit more than anecdotally given the believable evidence posted above

Advertisement