Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we in Ireland be concerned about Jihad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So eh your passport got stamped. Does that make a jihad attack in ireland more likely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭jmreire

I was answering a question about Islam and LGBQT, and how Islam view's relationships with women. But anyway, can you say with 100% certainty that Ireland will never suffer a Jihadi attack? Can you also say with the same degree of certainty that there is not now or ever has had Jihadi's in this Country? Can you say again with the same confidence that no Jihadi attack has been planned in Ireland and carried out elsewhere? Or funding for Jihadis has been channeled to them via Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Can you say with certainty that one has met any of your criteria?

Are you asking me to meet a set of criteria that your own posts don't meet. That would be a very hypocritical thing to request surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,347 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It seems as if Ireland is seen by Islamic terrorists as a good place to either hide out or fundraise, which may make us less likely to see an Islamic terrorist attack occur here but makes us in some way complicit in attacks that occur elsewhere.

Some groups however do see Ireland as a potential target, due in no small part to the decentralized structure of Jihadi terrorism with so many competing ideologies functioning it what most of us perceive as one space.

One place we can start is with the increasing numbers of Islamic extremists being arrested in Ireland in recent years...

Then we could move onto the arrest of a leading Islamic terrorism fundraiser who had been hiding out here for decades...

Or the London attackers who had identified several "family friendly" targets in Dublin...

Hopefully there's at least some food for thought in relation to how Ireland stands within the world of Islamic terrorism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Probably scoped out the boardwalk or what was going on around the GPO and said "fcuk it , not worth the hassle ".

• Advertisement

France is not a strict islamic state and has hundreds of its citizens murdered by jihadis. Germany and the Uk are not islamic states and they have had dozens murdered by jihadis. We should worry a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cafflingwunts

I'd like to think lone wolf attacks which are claimed as a terror groups after it happened are possible but organized terrorism sanctioned/funded by an Islamist extremist organization would be unlikely here considering we're a massive source of funding for them abroad.

I'm more worried by the Islamification of areas in French suburbs where Islamic culture has replaced the native one, so that natives are pushed out, and/or those who remain are intimidated by the large groups of Muslims pushing their own beliefs of how people should behave on to others.

We should worry because that's been played out in Germany, and other European nations... and it provides a foundation, through the dominance of Islamic culture in the area, for extremists to live in Europe without attention being drawn to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't know what makes me laugh more - "coming jihad" or "religion of peace"!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

The anecdote is highlighting the extreme contempt some followers of islam hold for us despite on the surface appearing educated and modern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,590 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Been to several Islamic countries, have plenty of muslim friends, not worried. Most of the recent terrorist attacks have been carried out by right-wing white Christians.

Well Robbie, equally, your slant seems to be that a Jihadi attack will never happen here in Ireland, without a shred of proof or support for such a position. So my position is equally valid. You might also read the following posts, if you are looking for evidence of Jihadi activity here in Ireland:- Nrs. 485, 487,488,489 and 491.. So not only might it happen in the future ( it will) but it has already happened in the past.

And which Islamic Country's have you lived in Robbie??And for how long? Maybe we could share experiences??

And that is all great. I have had grear experiences with for example Shia colleague. Have had some downright scarey experiences(along with good ones too) with the sunni variety.

My last visit to a muslim country(turkey) was great, but travelling through some areas was downright scarey. Army checkpoints and fortifications every few km and in every village. Reminded me most of childhood experiences travelling through northern ireland

You made a post about those who are expereinced with Islam being the most worried. Unless they've only got exprience of extremist Islam, that's not usually the case. Don't know what you mean about it being "great".

Really? because based on many of the arguments on this thread, their concerns are about Islam in general, as opposed to "extremist" Islam.

Jaysis you're very anxious if you were scared in Turkey and northern Ireland!

maybe that's why some people are scared about jihad attacks, just generally nervous people....

Well, not having read 17 pages of it, I'll take your word for it - but I'd be curious to know what their experiecnes are. Most people I know who know about Islam research the history and culture of the religion and not just the extremist elements of it that get presented on the news.

The post specified those who had experience of Islam themselves. Not that they were taking that experience or opinions from other sources.

For myself, I don't pay much attention to the news, since I've found that over the last two decades, the news has spent an awful amount of time trying to avoid showing the negatives of Islam. (not the only reason I don't pay much attention to the news, but it's part of the reason)

My own perception of Islam is based off a range of personal experience with travelling through Islamic countries (or those with large Muslim populations) in the M.East, Asia and Africa. The secondary part of my perception is based on how I've seen European countries (France, and Germany, being the case for my own personal experience) change as a result of increased population of Muslims.

I remember being searched at gunpoint by soldiers. Also kicked and spat on and called a catholic bastard on another occasion. Turkey in parts wss downright scarey. But guess what i left the beach resort and visited these areas despite the general scariness. On the local transport too. Ditto travelled across zimbabwe at the heigth of the farm expulsions alone. Encounters with secret police, border quards and scared conscipts armed with rifles. Its normal to feel anxious in the above situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,347 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How does your earlier statements about how the IRA were every bit as bad as Islamic terrorists track with this quoted comment about northern Ireland? All terrorism is equally bad according to your logic so surely being in a place with a history of terrorism and being concerned for your welfare is logical?

I do believe the post you quoted was referring to Northern Ireland during the troubles also.

Fair enough. I've been to Iran, Pakistan, Qatar and Bahrain and with the excpetion of Pakistan found them to be very open as long as people don't flaunt themselves (Pakistan seem to be very mysogonistic). Iran was amazingly welcome. I also loved the sights and smell of the Souf in Doha and the Museum of Islamic Art blew my mind.

THIS is expereince of Islam. I get the impression from some posters that they read a report on the news and think that makes them experts.

So, am I worried about a Jihad? No - althoguh I accept obviously that there are fringe elements trying to bring this about, they dont have the numbers or support. Individual attacks, yes - and even those are rare these days - but a full-on Jihad? - if they wanted it to happen it would already have happened.

With the exception of pakistan, the countries you mention would have loads of shia though two are ruled by sunni juntas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,623 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Unless his passport was made from cheap Aldi tissue paper then his "anecdote" is actually a lie.

All terrorists are as bad as each other, I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise!

the majority of people living and visiting northern Ireland during the troubles, were not scared. The poster stated they were scared in Turkey, like they were as a child in northern Ireland, I presume they are someone of a very a nervous disposition. It wouldn't be how most people feel.

Fair enough. I've been to Iran, Pakistan, Qatar and Bahrain and with the excpetion of Pakistan found them to be very open as long as people don't flaunt themselves (Pakistan seem to be very mysogonistic). Iran was amazingly welcome. I also loved the sights and smell of the Souf in Doha and the Museum of Islamic Art blew my mind.

As you said, you didn't read the 17 pages of the thread, but if you had you would have seen my own posts, saying that I loved Iran, and a variety of other Islamic nations. Same with many of those who have spoken with deep knowledge of Islam, who have similar positive experiences/opinions about various countries or peoples.

THIS is expereince of Islam. I get the impression from some posters that they read a report on the news and think that makes them experts.

No, that's experience of national/local culture, and their history. Islam is definitely part of that... and so much more too. But then, I suspect you know that.. which is why you've repeatedly sought to focus the attention on "Extremist Islam", as opposed to the concerns of the various posters the OP was referring to. (which you haven't read)

So, am I worried about a Jihad? No - althoguh I accept obviously that there are fringe elements trying to bring this about, they dont have the numbers or support. Individual attacks, yes - and even those are rare these days - but a full-on Jihad? - if they wanted it to happen it would already have happened.

Neither am I worried about a Jihad against Ireland. We're of too much value for recruiting and investment... and besides there are a wide range of much better targets. Even then, I don't think Europe has faced a Jihad as yet. Just some isolated incidents by individuals or small groups. A real jihad would have serious financing behind it, no shortage of volunteers, either already within European borders or brought in from abroad.

However, the post you questions was about concerns relating to Islam, not just the idea of a Jihad.

Do you think the rulers express the will of the people? Would you say the same would be true of Afghanistan?

Qatar had women walking around in jeans and shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭enricoh

Maybe the lads in mi5 in the UK are just generally nervous people, they're worried about 23000 potential jihadis in England! Someone dish out the zanax in Whitehall!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/huge-scale-of-terror-threat-revealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

Intelligence officers have identified 23,000 jihadist extremists living in Britain as potential terrorist attackers, it emerged yesterday.

We seem to be in agreement about most of this then. I'd argue it's not really possible to expereince a demogrpahic of this size without experienceing their culture. I sepcifcially said "extremist" because I'm nto in delial that it forms a part. But some here seem to think it's a very big and important part of it

• Advertisement

Qatar has massive amounts of people who are practically slaves, and because you saw some women in jeans and a good market experience you are calling them enlightened and great. Been to many potemkin villages?

Advertisement