Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

So existing industry has to buy its allowances as well,my first under standing was that the allowances were granted at a point and then if an industry wants to expand they have to buy them off an exciting business but from you say they are basically licence s.so are all existing businesses going to have to buy these licences now and where does the money go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Is it not just another new "industry" filled with Del Boy salesmen whose main interest ,ambition and purpose in life is to make a few bob ?

Not that there is anything wrong with turning a profit but at least admit it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

Out of curiosity....what is your point?

What are you trying to prove, that we export a lot of produce and that we import a lot of produce ... and a lot of what we import cant be comercially grown here as either the price is too low or soils/climate don't suit it etc

I'd agree tbh.....one way to make that change might be to make it commercial to produce the stuff we import or accept our limitations and continue produce what we do produce well and add value + compensate properly for reductions in production

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, for every tonne of emissions you have to buy a further allowance. You buy more every year. Fewer are given out every year.

The member states get the revenue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

When is this happening.are we all in business going to have buy these allowances. This could be a huge money spinner for governments you could almost call it a carbon tax

• Advertisement

FF/FG/The greens/labour government are flying the kite of herd cuts etc when in reality active farmers by in large enjoy nature and are aware that they are custodians of the land.

Farmers need to be given the chance here to reduce their carbon impact through changes in practices that will allow them to maintain current stock levels.

Seriously need to look at defunding teagasc as they offer sweet fa in terms of real solutions

Need to redirect that money to efficient research

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

There isn't any other research.

Teagasc are the only organisation that can save our hides through this saga.

Just look at the attack by von der Leyen yesterday.

Your farming future is in the palm of Frank O'Meara right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What sort of capacity will 250 shipping container sized batteries planned for here beside me now

The real cost to Farming in Ireland.

It’s an absolute travesty that this is allowed to happen and the government should never see another day in power because of it.

The waterways of a once great country have been totally decimated

Shame on every individual involved

It's regurgitated rubbish from a paper that can't lie flat.

Ireland has the second most pristine rivers in Europe. Latest EPA reports have shown improvements. The spend by farmers, and the improvements have been enormous, and continue.

The Courtmacsherry pollution is touted over and over avoids the admission that Timoleage, Courtmacsherry and surrounding serviced housing has been pumping completly untreated raw sewage into that harbour with the last 200 years.

Its a typical bullshit article, the type touted by the unreasonable to piss on a debate and add nothing to its substance

• Advertisement

It'll have to be reined in alright, It's amusing to see Courtmacsherry being highlighted as it's where our poster boy Harold Kingston farms.

China and Russia didn't attend COP 26. I was going to post this next sentence earlier in the week btu I'll post it now.

I believe if all the major countries don't buy in to this climate bolloxology, there won't be a word about it in ten years.

The environment won't/has never bothered me, but just saying as I see it.

Ireland of course will buy into every environment sh... and even add to the restrictions and it won't make any differnce to Climate Change

A lack of investment in managing sewage is part of the story: half of urban wastewater treatment plants don’t meet minimum EU standards, while raw sewage from 77,000 people across Ireland flows into the environment every day. Nutrient runoff from sitka spruce plantations also has a negative impact.

But it's the cows....🤕🤕

The human population along the Blackwater has risen by 160% in the last 25 years...sewage treatment plant are totally inadequate and I can take you to towns that have NO treatment, and flow direct to the river.

A number of Cork areas were found to have failed EU sewage treatment standards in 2019.

The damning report by the EPA also showed that five areas in Cork are releasing raw untreated sewage into waters causing big concerns for the local environment.

Cobh, Cork city, Courtmacsherry-Timoleague, Dunmanway, Mitchelstown, Ringaskiddy, and Skibbereen all failed to meet standards.

Castkletownbere, Castletownshend, Cobh, Inchigeelagh, and Whitgate-Agada were found to have raw untreated sewage in their waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why can't I go back to first post without clicking through individual pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Remember the head of Bord Bia complaining about vegan diets? Surely that would help vegetables and grain farmers.

General population won't buy into these restrictions........ well 90% won't anyway. we've an area on the village by pass at the side of the farm where the general public have a dump and empty the litter out of their car, before they go on to the motorway. County Councl took 20mtrs too much off me along the side of the road for trees etc, perfect secluded place for illegal dumping etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Is going back to more traditional farm practices a complete no-no... Personally i think Governments should encourage and grant aid farmers who produce as far as possible as much as possible of our daily food. I think there is alot of stuff being imported that can be produced here... I have this notion in my head for years that each nation should in regard to food production produce as much as possible it consumes...

Post edited by maestroamado on

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Fair question, and the answer isn't exactly that, but not a billion miles away.

I'd boil it down to two things. Firstly, that the current value of agriculture is significantly overvalued. That's what I've said here:

That does mean the cost of change (for Ireland) is much less than its presented - and comparisons to the FDI sector, which actually pays the bills, is pointless.

Moving on to the second point, I'm not particularly beating an environmental drum (but not denying those concerns either). There's other reasons why farmers are and should be thinking of changing their products; profits are not there, Brexit won't improve matters and tastes are changing. Would you go on producing pigmeat as your customers all convert to Islam, spouting fire and brimstone about the Quran being a fairy tale?

So, indeed, I'd suggest the sector should be more open to change than its presenting. And, no, I wouldn't rush to subsidising that change, as it should be a natural outcome.

And if anyone wants to repeat the line of "you know nothing, Ireland can only efficient produce grass for livestock", can I point you in the direction of others claiming farming knowledge who do allow that there's no technical reason preventing more veg being produced here.

So folk can tell them they are D4 Avocado-importing Heineken drinking Greens. Maybe then the penny will start to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hook head 1933. Note land use.

Hook head 2018. Notice same. And it ain't grass.

Tesco van calls into the cafe and lighthouse supplying groceries these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Guardian readers turn a blind eye to the most blatant pollution there is in the land as it would get in the way of their desire to pack all them towns and villages with even more houses, even more migrants if proper sewage treatment had to be in place. I do not understand how it isn't a huge deal, I haven't met a person from any part of the country than has said it's any different in their area. Shocking levels of corruption going on to keep it off the news as much as they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Its amazing why people who have no connection to farming think they have a right to dictate how farmers should run their business. A touch of "Gestapo" politics about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

according to ciaran fitzgerald , irish agriculture supports 260000 jobs and generates a spend of 16 billion in the Irish economy and exports of 13 billion. all multinationals combined generate 27 billion spend. pretty major part of economy to mess up in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You're right! And people who own industry should decide what discharges should be allowed from their factories, and fishermen should decide how much, and when and where they can catch fish, and food producers should decide what quality regulations should be applied. Such a lot of areas where imposed rules and regulations cause inconvenience and costs to manufacturers. Let people make their own decisions on how to run their businesses.

I don't think so. I for one am very happy to know that there are regulations to make sure my food is safe, I can confidently take medication and factories are no longer allowed to discharge toxic chemicals into the atmosphere. We still have a way to go, but we have been going in the right direction for a good while now, throwing irrelevant and emotive words like 'Gestapo' into the discussion doesn't progress it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

another issue is that the EPA is unfairly classifying all pollution in rivers in rural areas as "agricultural" they are not able to distinguish between village sewage plants, septic tanks and agricultural pollution. So they have areas classified as agricultural, urban and industrial. Because of our one off housing in the country all their waste gets classified as "agricultural".

it's to fit an agenda. iv seen human excrement and toilet paper in courtmacsherry Bay up to this yr.again its to fit an agenda to blame agriculture so they can suppress it even more. they know dam well what they are doing

What's more surprising is how people react to any form of discussion as being dictated to by the Gestapo. All I've really pointed out is farmers themselves (in another context on this forum) are talking about reducing livestock numbers. And that's what the Gestapo did, apparently.

Yeah, but that was just the usual fake news overstating the benefits of Irish agriculture. For example, the jobs figure includes people working in Tesco Ireland.

Like, he also said Irish agriculture feeds 40 million people, which is pants. It comes out of a deliberately misleading figure claiming we produce enough beef to feed tens of millions. They work that figure out something like this:

• Dieticians would recommend you eat no more beef than a couple of quarter pounders a week.
    • Ireland produces enough beef to give 30 million people two quarter pounders a week
    • Therefore Irish agriculture produces enough beef to feed 30 million (and the bauld Ciaran would throw in another ten million people, because who's going to notice

Fake news. But nothing fake about the 80% of Corporation Tax paid by FDI, or 50% of income taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is happening already for the ETS sector. When you buy electricity, cement or any industrial product made in the EU you are paying this charge indirectly.

it’s not really a tax because the generator/factory is buying a scarce resource. It certainly is a measure that results in revenue.

the euronews article explains the plan to expand this approach to heating and transport.

he whole point of what I was saying is that data centres are paying their way in CO2 emissions and closing data centres in Ireland will make no difference to overall EU industrial emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If the global economy crashed in the morning and the tax take from fdi crashed with it, what's the backup plan then, take the begging bowl out again and bring in the imf, we all know what happend here in the 2008 crash, history has a habit of repeating itself

• Advertisement

I don't agree with you. you are using fake news to dispel what I'm after saying. every 2nd business in rural Ireland is dependent on agricultural activities. I live there so I know. be back later when I have time

Advertisement