Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum inconsistent carding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,974 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Tbf, in previous threads like this ie where people questioned mods and their consistency, those being questioned did not contribute in any way, no reason to think this thread will be any different.

As far as I'm concerned, there are still some inconsistencies in the forum but those are few and far between. Compared to the state it was in for the last 3 or 4 years, the forum has never been in better state from a moderation perspective. There is no team biases, perceived or actual and more or less everyone is held to the same standards. And I say this as someone that has had some cards from DM7 that I've felt were a little harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why no answers?

If I can remember. You got away with a comment on the humour page. I can't check as I am barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm on a 6 month ban but it's my own fault. DM_7 dealt with it as he had to so no issues there.

A previous card I raised with him and he agreed it was excessive and rescinded it.

There's a particular dildo who has added nothing to the forum since he joined years ago, but has gotten away with murder.

It is a shame to see a once great site struggling. It owes me absolutely nothing and I'd love to see it rise again.

One thing I would love to know is who decided that even lurking in the soccer forum is no longer permitted?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

DM_7. But as I said, I can't really fault him.

The charter is in place for a reason, I didn't follow it so I can only really blame myself.

I've always found DM_7 grand. It's a **** job, one I would not be able to do.

In fact, most of the mods are fine with the exception of 3 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If I were DM_7 I wouldn't come near this thread for nothing. He'd be the scapegoat for everything in the SF.

If you want to air your grievances about the modship they usually have a feedback thread in the SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And iirc this years feedback thread was actually pretty positive and calm which is a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem isn’t the charter really but the inconsistency of its application...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Good for you.

The fact that's all you had to say to that post is shocking.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I corrected one point. I have not yet had a chance to review everything in this thread. I will do so in due course. However I must say some of the petty behaviour I have seen does little to support the "cause". Indeed if posters wish to continue down that line I will close the thread

I also take issue with posters complaining about their own bans or cards. You all had the opportunity to appeal cards. Bans are a consequence of the totting up process. Of course you all know that, but posters still complain about the length of bans when the whole process was established on the back of user feedback. If you fail to follow the rules you cannot complain if you get caught out. If you are complaining about others not being sanctioned, how do you know? Under the new platform warnings and infractions (yellows and reds) are no longer visible

Soccer mods are happy to discuss user feedback every year in their regular feedback thread. That is something that does not occur anywhere else on the site. And still people complain, usually driven by the "hatred" of posters of anything relating to the team they despise

Alas in the Soccer Forum this has been the case throughout my time on the site

As already mentioned I will look through the full thread when I get a chance.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've looked at the post reported by the OP

The bit he finds offensive is this:

"I want Bruno to be captain.

I love that he's a shithead,"

Well actually that is not calling him "shithead" - it's describing his attributes in a positive (despite terminology) way. He's saying he wants more of Bruno's attitude

Of course the complaint comes from a Liverpool fan against a United fan (and I know it very definitely works both ways). Fans from each club go out of their way to rules lawyer to get fans from the other club into trouble

So far as I am concerned there is absolutely nothing to see here, other than the Soccer forum tribalism at its worst

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Why should he?

There's a dedicated forum for appealing bans and cards. Maybe people should go there instead for individual grievances?

Lol OK.

It seems you’ve missed the point.

The soccer forum introduced a zero tolerance approach to name calling.

Some people received some very harsh yellows but, I think, it was eventually accepted because it was zero tolerance and there were no exceptions.

I asked people to give some examples of harsh yellows they received relating to zero tolerance on name calling. Some did but unfortunately the thread turned into something else.

I would argue allowing that post to go unchecked would allow others to accuse players of being shitheads albeit loveable.

So now it’s back to moderator discretion. If I say - ‘Michael Owen is a right prick albeit a loveable one’ - then I should be ok according to your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Soccer forum had been moderated on tribal lines for years

mods five cards In rival threads for things they let slide in their own.

the “zero tolerance” rule is a joke, and always has been.

I'd agree 100% with your second line historically but that's simply not the case anymore. In the majority of instances (that I've seen at least) Everyone is now held to the same standard. The post that spurred this thread is very clearly not abusive, its exactly the same as a person saying they love the fact that a player on their team is a "shythouse", its a term long used to describe onfield shenanigans that rile up opposition players.

Just a quick glance at the thread and I'd say its United fans who have received the most cards (as in posted on this thread) from this supposedly biased mod, the argument isnt really stacking up, and as beasty said given that you cant even see cards anymore how would people even know.

Posters really struggling to follow the concept of the thread.

I haven’t accused the mods of being biased.

They’re being accused of not applying the charter. So what’s the point in having one ?

It doesn’t matter anyway. Mods clearly have no interest as this thread has shown.

It’s kinda funny that Beasty mentioned ‘soccer forum tribalism’ when the only tribalism on show is between the mods.

As always, and ever, the mods will support each other’s decisions to the death. Always have done. Regardless of how transparent it all is. Impunity it’s called.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its actually just called you misunderstanding the charter mate.

It was already explained why the post you complained about in the OP wasn't a breach of charter.

Also how do you know if its being applied or not op?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And if you have any discourse with them over the same they tell you that you should have reported it..ie . putting back on you, the fact that they contributed to the thread a couple of posts later is lost on them...cards should show up on the offending posts, it’s the only way to keep things transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well then you don't understand the rules of the soccer forum.

It's been made very clear that language such as 'shithead' is not allowed under any circumstance whether it's being used in a fun way or not.

There was constant arguments over this stuff for years and the decision was made that you cannot use that language.

It doesn't matter how you see it, the rules are in place and they were broken by using that word.

The issue here is clear, there's been preferential treatment which is wrong.

It was not used as a nickname. Do you really fail to grasp that?

More whinging about fans of particular clubs "getting away" with precisely nothing

Thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement