Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You say 'don't bother' but they may not even see them.

Also there is the issue as to what exactly is a hateful post. This has been debated ad nauseam on this site and I still wouldn't be confident I know where the line is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think people blur the line to make it hard to moderate. But I think the mod should have the fall back to block or ban if someone is making moderation difficult.

I would say in every single thread on travellers there is either a hateful post or the entire thread is hateful. They're easy to spot, they usually have the most thanks. And I suspect that's precisely why the posters seem to get away with very light touch regulation. Because while it's blatant bigotry that would result in instant bans if similar sentiments were uttered about other ethnic groups, travellers are fair game. If a poster referred to black people as "inbreds s***ting everywhere" they would surely be banned for that alone with no need to rely on an accumulation of infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

adding to the last few words of your post^ ...or don't bother dealing with the new format (makes modding more difficult, for sure.)

Might be an idea to add a sticky to all forums (or finally update charters) to (1) name forum mods and cat mods and say (2) "in addition to reporting posts, PM mods or catmods to notify them of an issue"

I find the moderation here almost invisible lately, but when it is visible, it is often very unfair, with maybe exceptions for Pet Board, and Personal Issues.

Elsewhere, I guess I can best describe it as like when one kid is being bullied by another kid, but when the bullied kid retaliates, they are the one who gets caught and reprimanded for retaliating, while the bully gets away scott free - because the mods don't bother looking any further then the reported post.

That's my 2 cents worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Ok, 'don't bother' is possibly unfair. But I have seen posts way worse than what Conor reported stay up for days. Whereas when I criticise politicians, using robust but non-hateful language, I get my posts swiftly edited and get infractions along the spurious grounds that I am 'causing upset'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No idea mate. Depends on the forum. For example if you are posting in the politics forum you would have to have a higher standard of post than if you posted the same comment in current affairs. If you are being carded in politics maybe stick to CA. If you are being carded in CA then maybe what you're saying is objectionable. There are vastly different standard across different forums so ensure you are comparing like with like.

And yet the traveller haters have consistently said that the mods are traveller lovers who see no bad in them. Can't please everyone I'm afraid.

I hate traveller threads.

But that's kinda the entire flaw in the policy right there.

There should be no trying to please racists and bigots. Someone who refers to an ethnic group as inbreds s***ting everywhere wouldn't last one post on a lot of forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

With those kinds of threads. If you've any sanity you walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Dial Hard, we are carding posters, it's just cards are not visible to users. This is something that is being worked on I believe. The bold warning is a warning after the post has been carded so that posters know the post has been warned and don't continue to report it. We usually always post mod warnings in bold so they stand out on the thread.

I actually banned a user yesterday who was newly signed up 2 posts, both of them obviously trolling.

Mod tools are not what they used to be. But cards are being handed out and posters can still be banned.

And if it was said on boards and a mod saw it it would get attention

We both know that's not true at all.

And we both know that, if it was egregious enough to get noticed, it would not be treated in the same way as other bigotry and racism. For saying that they are inbreds sh**ting everywhere, the poster would not have been banned except that s/he had accrued other infractions.

Look at this thread, in the first page posters talk about travellers in ways that would send off alarm bells about any other group. Would you tolerate someone referring to gay people or black people and 'the other absolutely disgusting, dispicable aspects of the 'culture'"? Or saying they should behave like "normal people"?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058210438/how-to-fix-the-traveller-community/p1

When you said you can't please everyone, those posters should not be pleased. They should be simply banned. I assume the reason you (and other mods) hate travellers threads is because you cannot or will not do what's right. You take this bizarre "how do we treat the bigots fairly" position which completely differs when it comes to any other group.

Well it is true so I don't know what else you want here and don't tell me what I know and don't know please.

Well, I'm glad to hear that things have changed since you posted that you (and obviously other mods) hate travellers threads and even referred to trying to please everyone.

I hope you take this new spirit of decisiveness into modding them and travellers are treated just like every other ethnic group. No reason to hate the threads, no need to try and please bigots, just get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think the approach of deleting sanctioned posts is completely wrong. It doesnt set an overall tone and allow users to see what mods deem has crossed the line of acceptability. Its like hiding problems rather than actively tackling problems.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How come it wasnt actioned until bought up in feedback

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I havent actually seen that consistently said.

Terry Pratchet

Why was the original post referred to ONLY given an infraction. Seems very lenient.

Terry Pratchet

And even if it was...why on earth would there be a policy of trying to please them? Why is the modding policy one of trying to treat "traveller haters" and "traveller lovers" equally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I got kicked off the soccer page for commenting on the humour forum. The comments were taken down, yet two other posters comments are still up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Not sure why you're asking me. I'm not a mod of Legal Discussion and I'm not an admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Good to hear you got the boot. A no chat thread is just what it says so you have no need to complain.

My post was taken down yet at least two other posters were not. How about consistency?

Terry Pratchet

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do you really want to see perhaps 20 posts from me in a single thread explaining what action has been taken against various posts (I've actually deleted 54 posts in a single thread today, and in that case did drop a note explaining why the majority had disappeared. To cover it all off I would probably have needed over a dozen different explanatory notes). Indeed if I had to start doing that I reckon I would have to increase my time on the site by 20-30% or cut down the number of reports I deal with by a similar amount. Even if mods do post an explanation it does not stop reports as the explanation may be a page or two further on

The posters who cross the line are getting very firm messages from me on any report I deal with.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will you stop complaining about sanctions received in the Soccer forum. There is an avenue to appeal. Not only that but as you are aware there is a thread in the help Desk looking specifically with Soccer Forum moderation. Do not drag that discussion over here

How can I argue my situation?

• Advertisement

Thanks. When I work that out. Mods don't help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement