Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Wide open now

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

One thing Eire Og will struggle with is the crossover with football as I think they have a large group who are starting on both teams.

It definitely didn't help Cratloe the last few years so will be interesting to see how it affects Eire Og.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

some really good games over the weekend , eire og finally got the better of sixmilebridge , the townies have often had the holders number but fell narrowly short on the last two occasions , they will fancy their chances from here out , super displays from danny russell david reidy and shane o donnell

A third 1/4 slump cost wolfe tones dearly yesterday against their neighbours newmarket , the tones lead 0-12 to 0-06 at the start of the second half , but were compleatly dominated from there on by the blues , excellent performances by mikey mcinerney , colin ryan and enda barrett

really good game in front of the tg 4 cameras today as aidan mccarthy and co put on a super show to see of cratloe , its a long time since 2014 and its starting to show for cratloe now , inagh/k probably hold slight favorites tag going in to the draw tommorow night , brian lohan will be happy with the form of fitzgerld and aidan mccarthy both excellent today and through out the championship so far

ballyea showed great fight for 3 quarters today without tony kelly , kelly will under go an opperation tomorrow on his ankle came on for the last 15 minutes this evening contributing to two huge scores in the process , he will be a huge loss for ballyea but given the pefromances of deasy and pearse lillis along with brandon o connell they will have a huge say in the championship , kilmaley are young but still look like they are missing somthing up front and look some way off from contending

in the relegation both clarecastle and the mills are probably sitting behind the 8 ball now , clarecastle look to me to be in huge trouble after loosing to clooney quinn by 3 points , the winners missed a late penilty also i really cant see them beating crusheen the next day out , mills will have one last chance to redeem themselves against clooney quinn in two weeks time also or they could be going down also

in the intermeadite , st josephs had a huge win over ruan while smith o'briens honored the 5th aniversy of clubman anthony foleys death with a huge win over tulla , huge chance now for the killaloe men to go up now

Éire Óg, Ennis 2-18 - 1-11 Sixmilebridge

Newmarket-on-Fergus 1-15 - 0-15 Wolfe Tones, Shannon

Ballyea 0-19 - 0-17 Kilmaley

Cratloe 0-21 - 1-22 Inagh-Kilnamona

Relegation group round 1

Crusheen - OC Mills

Clarecastle 0-22 - 0-25 Clooney/Quinn

IHC Semi Finals

Smith o'briens 0-15 0-11 Tulla

Doora/Barefield 5-14 -2-10 Ruan

they made both in 2001 . wining the football and losing the hurling narrowly , the draw will be very intresting espically with ballyeas situation with kelly , if eire og get inagh/k in the semi final that would be almost a final in its self

add to that clondegad are still involved in the football as are lissycasey which would affect ballyea also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Kilmaley missing Michael O'Malley and Cian Moloney upfront and it cost. Lost a few more along the way as well and other carrying injuries they needed so probably not a great result for Ballyea.

Eire Og's to win and Inagh Kilnamona will be close. Draw will be cruical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is that the year Davy Fitz made a great save from a penalty?

Yep, Eire Og drawn against Inagh/K in the semi final, should be a great game.

both teams wil fancy it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The strategic report is out, not great reading

Clare Strategic Review by TheClareTimes - issuu

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like a very comprehensive and professional report at least. It was never going to shine a great light and that’s what we probably wanted too. The whole organisation needs a massive kick up the arse.

what is the most significant issue that they uncovered??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Looking in from the outside, Michael Verney made a good point today, how likely would the people in power be to implement the recommendations given their track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Theire main strategic goals fall under 4 major categories, Governance, Commerical, Clubs and Development & Coaching. There is also a recommended organisational structure there (Page 9 of the Appendix), where they highlight positions that need to be appointed. The big one obviously is the CEO role there in the centre, also a Finance Manager too.

Its a very comphriehensive report by the strategic group, they must be thoroughly commended. It reads just as professional as say a national or county development plan, or a similar documents. I haven't got through the whole document, just certain sections, hopefully over the long weekend I'll get some time.

To be honest, from inital reading, it's very grim. Caherlohan was described (Page 17 of Appendix) as lacking the basic training infrastructure that's required to prepare a team; pitches unplayable for large portions of the year, 2 dressing rooms required for a panel, gym not big enough, etc. The Commerical end of Clare GAA also is in dire straits.

I suppose we knew things were bad in Clare GAA, but it's quite harrowing reading just how completely mis-managed things are, from all aspects as mentioned above. I don't know what's gong to happen now. Its a bombshell that calls for drastic change, but will the exisitng executive carry out the implementation plan? Or just some parts of it. Or has Pat Fitz and the executive got the management, commerical, business, organsitional, etc. skills to run a modern county GAA setup. I don't know.

Post edited by letowski on

I think we should give Pat Fitz another 20 years, see if he can turn things around

you just can’t bate experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

The pictures of the "sand based" pitch show incompetence in the pitch specification and construction. Crazy to have earth on top of sand. That's reflective of the standard of work being done all around.

given the age profile of some members on the board i wouldnt rule out the chance 🙄😆

Results: SHC semi-final:

Inagh-Kilnamona: 1 - 17 Eire Og: 0 - 17

A sign of the future in clare hurling as inagh/k finally make the breakthrough and contest a county final , with a huge catchment area and a really good underage academy it could become a regular feature to see the combo wining a cannon , and while nothing has been one yet the nature of some of their victories over the course of the championship has them entering the final as hot favorites

Aidan mcarthy picked up an early injury which will almost garuntee his absense in the football final next week for Kilmurry Ibk but will probably will be available for the hurling in 2 weeks time , david fitzgearld looks like he could miss out after picking up a serious enough looking injury ,

Today was the day though young conor hegerty really stood up and became a leader for his side , a very talented underage player for the county over the last 5 years he has given brian lohan little choice but to be included in the extended panel for the seniors next season on todays performance alone , loosing both intercounty players in mccarthy and fitz so early in a tight contest hego took over the midfield and dominated in their absence scoring 4 points from play and setting up 4 more

the performances of keith white and kevin hehir will also feature heavily on brian lohans mind as the two defenders put in super shifts espically in the second half for the winners

Shane o donnell seemed to be a one man show at times for the losers who never got going upfront , david ready , david mcnamara and danny russell all struggled against a really good inaghk full back line , and were over ren in the middle 3rd in the 2nd half late on , liam corry , arron fitzgerld have been fantastic for the townies both today and all year at the back as has county footballer ciaran russell . the townies have the oppertunity to redeam themselves next sunday in the football final but this game will take a whille to leave the minds , espically having being granted a lifeline deep into injury time only to see pa kelly save a poorly struck penelty from danny russell at the end

Scorers Inagh/K

Aidan McCarthy 0-6 (0-5 frees);

Conor Hegarty (0-5, 1 f);

Shane McInerney (1-0);

Kevin Hehir, 0-1

josh Guyler, 0-1

Shane Foudy,0-1

Jason McCarthy, 0-1

Cian McInerney, 0-1

Evan McInerney,0-1

David Cullinan 0-1

Ballyea 1-14 Newmarket-on-Fergus 1-13 

aaron griffin with 1-02 , nial deasy with 0-8 point(4 frees ) set down a marker that ballyea are not a one man team , 1-13 -0-13 down inside the last ten minutes a goal from griffin and a deasy point was enough for the ballyea men to see them selves through to another county final

blues had a huge chance to bring the game to extra time only for colin ryans late free to shoot wide , ryan himself scored 5 points in total 2 from play , while eoin guilfoyle who has had a fantastic championship for newmarket scored 3 from play ,

newmarket have had an excellent championship , mike mcinerney has really announced himself as a serious forward within the club sceane ,james mcinerney enda barrett also rolled back the years over the last 8 weeks ans probably showed what our intercounty side have been missing over the years ,

inaghk v ballyea in the final , and even without kelly the ballyea men wount be easily pushed aside

Smith O’Briens 0-14 St Josephs Doora/Barefield 0-12 

A cracker of an intermeadite final but in the old fassioned dogeded sense, conditions were terrible by the time the 2nd game of the day in the park threw in , dispite the best efforts of eoin conroy (0-2) , tom hannon (0-2) cathal rouine (0-5) fionn kelleher (0-3) and a super display at the back fro alan o'neill was not to be for the parrish

Tommy reddan was awarded man of the match for the winners he chiped in with 0-12 (10 frees) for the winners scoring some huge scores from distance late on when the game was in the ballence david oshea chiped in with 0-2 for the killaloe men but the work rate and fight from the likes of michael o shea,david gough ,cathal strich and david bourke was the key to smith obriens success espically in the final 1/4 of the game

A huge addition to the clare senior hurling championship next year its a big day for hurling in east clare and for clare hurling in general ,

For doora barefield its going to be a hard won to take , lead this game from the start up until the 58th minute , dispite two teams getting relegated this year i still see them as favorites for a return to senior next year

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Good analysis Windy. While combo will be favourites, any drop off from them and wouldn't surprise me if Ballyea won.

The only thing I would disagree with you on is Josephs being favourites next year. 2 big clubs coming down from senior and a couple of others in intermediate building, its going to be a much tougher championship next year.

i have clarecastle as down as it is , i think crusheen will beat them in the last game all hear say at the moment but if that were to happen i would make josephs the strongest team in intermeadite next year , their forwards never really got going today they led this game for 58 minutes and they are as youg as clarecastle who everyone seems to think are a good side in the making i just have them ahead of them , of course it could be the mills and crusheen that go down ,

Which leaves me to ask the qustion what the hell happens next year if that happens and crusheen beat ogonnelloe in the junor A final , 2 crusheen teams and 2 from the mills in intermeadite , surly cant happen

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

It will be Clarecastle and Mills for me.

Bridge had 2 intermediate teams a few years ago, had to name separate squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

if its decided on points difference I think Clarecastle could still mathematically survive

When was the last time Clarecastle didn't compete in the Senior championship?

its looking that way to be fair , the mills didnt fully disgrace themselves with there second team in intermeadite this year but if they had better club management surly 2 or 3 players should have been regraded to senior to stop the rot , they lost 5 championship games in a row , same has to be said for crusheen who had an excellent junior championship one of the two are going to suffer next year

i dont get clarecastle though , alan neville , antoney daly , ken ralph , kenny morrissey ,stepehen sheedy fergie and the sparrow o loughlin all involved with so many diffrent teams over the last few years and barely gave a taught to their own club

Anthoney daly is the type of man that would look at his phone on a saturday and inform everyone around him with huge excitement " jeasus lads burnley have just equlised against west ham " i have the same image of him constantley checking twitter in two weeks time as crusheen v clarecastle is neck and neck while clooney go 8 points clear of the mills , to inform his mates shedo fergie and ken from the back of the stand in the park and not from the sidline where they should be

they only ever won one intermeadite championship that was 1931 so i imagine since then , they were a top side in the 60s and 70s but were ofton hard done by as the late patsy o'loughlin used to inform me 😆 , apparently back in the late 50s early 60s when ruan were top dogs they were getting nothing off the referee , so at half time invaded the ruan dressing room with a tree trunk that had been lying at the cloyster end of the ground after a storm , apperently they won the chapionship that year and ruan have never been seen since 😂🤣

I have cousins who are dyed in the wool Magpies [way beyond fanatics] I remember them telling me stories similar to what you've said Windy and the absolute deep deep hatred for NOF

if they are relegated I fear for those cousins mental state over the long Winter months

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pantsmacgoorfanboy69

Rumour is that eire og have 3 starters and 2 bench players seriously hampered from inagh game. 1 definitely out. Shame they can't space these games out more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Every 2 weeks is the best you're going to do, any team is going to struggle with dual players but Eire Og should have far more players than they have so can't been too worried about them, something like 11 of their team are involved in both codes which considering the size of their pick is shocking. Kilmurray will have their own injury problems after Inagh's game last weekend as well.

Any one know if the hurling senior final is scheduled for November 14th?

Not 100% confirmed yet, waiting on TG4 but I'd be amazed if it wasn't on then, hard to know what time though, presume around 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

For those that missed the executives latest bullS##t, the treasure threatened to remove gate checkers today

https://twitter.com/DLynchSport/status/1457038013855379460?s=20

Advertisement