Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are mods just giving up or is the reporting function broken?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What ever happened to temporary mods I can't remember the proper title.

I remember after hours had some at one point and the weather form had in the past during extreme weather events.

Could be an option to look at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Until the utilities needed to moderate are in place the number of moderators makes no difference tbh. We are waiting on a few things just have no idea when they will be implemented. I'm finding the situation really hard to sit with, so I can't imagine how anyone else is managing..

There is a massive undersupply of mods amd the process for appointment of mods is a shady and overcontrolled one

The site needs to accept it has to appoint a heap more of mods and for modding to get a lot more slash and burn

I assume the appointment process is "who do we like/who doesn't give us a hard time". Which probably leads to some Tim Nice But Dim types,.the kids who get average marks but 100% for attendance.

I do think, in fairness to mods, there are too many rules and some of the mods definitely don't know them and they miss the glaringly obvious stuff. One of the most ridiculous oversights is personal comments, I've reported some and they've been tolerated because they weren't explicitly abusive. Even though personal comments are always off topic and almost always trolling. You also have different modding in different forums, an acceptable topic title in one forum would lead to an infraction if buried in a comment on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes

I guarantee it was tried across the board for 3 months you wouldnt have as many as 54 posts in one thread to deal with. Moderation done secretly between the person being moderated and the moderator doesnt benefit the site overall because its secret. This only started a year or two ago and was never done on the site upto then. Moderation isnt just about dealing with reported posts but steering discussion a particular way. Secrecy does not help that in any way. It doesnt show other posts where the lines are crossed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is little point in getting more mods if they are just going to be frustrated by the lack of modding tools. Indeed once that is sorted I suspect we will see many more mods back online. The new platform is clearly still WIP and I'm not sure there is much in the way of short term fixes to materially improve things

I do though keep my eye on Reported posts. I know that well over 50% of reports (across 2 forums I have specific responsibility for) are dealt with. I can also see plenty of mod activity across AH and Soccer which means we are getting to a very large proportion of reports. I'm also dealing with plenty of reports of spammers and the like

Of course that's far from ideal as many forums are not getting the attention they need and deserve. If anyone feels a specific forum is being neglected I am happy to take a look if someone PMs me about it. Again, in an ideal world we would get to reports quicker, but sometimes it can take a day or two to deal with some issues

From a personal perspective, and not speaking in my Admin capacity, I think we have way too many forums particularly for this platform, which I suspect was not created to cater for so many forums. It may be we start looking at consolidating some forums, which means we can then hopefully spread the mod load about a bit more by allowing some from some of the quieter forums to have wider responsibilities, helping relieve some of the pressures on the larger forums. However I suspect there are many other issues to resolve before we can start reviewing things like that in detail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No such thing as a bad idea I suppose but consolidated forums, why would mods want to mod forums that contains a heap of threads they have no interest in, with less help than they ever had before (from the tools)? And increase their workload. What enticement could there possibly be?

If I were a betting man, I'd guess you'd just encourage more mods to knock it on the head.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I raised a number of issues recently

and got a response from @Boards.ie: Niamh on them

But to the point many have raised, it looks like mod tools have taken a serious hit and the overall situation is unlikely to improve for the foreseeable future but I'm hopeful

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know you have an interest in a number of sports. I also know you like the idea of each of those sports having dedicated forums. However there are some forums, including some in Sports, that under the new platform are getting next to no posts. So how about subcategorising some of these sports? Field Sports, Indoor (team and/or individual) Sports, Water Sports, Combat Sports etc. Then have a mod team overlooking all the related forums.

I'm a mod of Canoeing and Kayaking - we could not find a mod so I volunteered. I think I've been in a canoe once in my life, and that's not far off 50 years ago. We could put that alongside Sailing and Boating. Maybe Surfing. Then you have 1 mod team overseeing 3 forums. And you could add more. There are other examples. We have 22 forums in Recreation and Hobbies. 7 of those have not had any posts in the past 10 days. The likes of Collectables and Antiques has 8 threads on the front page with no responses. Most of the rest have no more than 5 posts. These forums do not need a lot of moderation resource, but all have dedicated mods.

And no, I do not have Rugby League in my sights!!

You seriously think mods should steer discussion of Current Affairs and Coronavirus in a certain way? These are currently the 2 biggest forums on the site. We only have time to deal with reports. And until we get some visible sign of mod actions, such as the prior yellow/red card system, I'm continuing to delete stuff as otherwise more things will never be dealt with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The point on the visible/invisible moderation is that if somebody posts and calls another poster a wanker or retard or whatever, and a mod actions that with a yellow/red card (or these days, probably edits it with the words 'Mod: Yellow/Red Card', then other posters see that this is something that is unacceptable.

If it's simply deleted, or deleted with a PM to the poster with notification of a yellow card, nobody else sees that, and sees/learns what is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rugby League, if I recall correctly never had a single reported post! And I'd hazard a guess to say I have been the only one to report anything since! (to request thread title changes).

Fully appreciate what you're saying but is it fair to say those example forums aren't ever going to be the issue, or generate more than half a dozen reported posts a year?

And therefore is there any benefit at all in amalgamation (in those forums you've used as an example).

It was always the usual suspects forums that generated the reports and I doubt it's changed, and they aren't forums that, imo, are suited to consolidation.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mods don't really get involved with a DRP. It is the cmods and admins that deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

How often do they overturn a decision, roughly? I presume, like any internal appeals board, there are some stats to demonstrate the efficacy of it. I've seen decisions held up on pretty specious reasoning, like a barstool lawyer citing "collateral* when it was clear he didn't fully understand what that meant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi.

Just in case you don’t know how it works, our Dispute Resolution Forum can be found here. Be sure to put as much information as possible in your post and mention that you have tried to resolve the issue with the moderator directly but this did not change the outcome.

From there, you can expect a Soccer CMod to review what happened and will give you a decision. If their decision does not change the outcome, you can appeal it to a site admin whose decision is final.

I hope the above is helpful.

Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't fully understand what you mean, but I agree...

I've said it before, but if they rolled out the responsive site that they tried a few years ago right now, I'd say it'd be welcomed with open arms

If the mod tools required are genuinely on their way, then wait.

If they're not, or the boards.ie team are doubtful they'll be implemented, or the functionality still won't be enough, or they won't be ready for ages, then maybe spin the moderation off into its own system layered on top of the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not sure. You would have to ask the office. Personally I would say 30-40% of mine are overturned with 60-70% upheld.

It would probably be easy enough for someone to collate the figures by just reading the forum. There are not that many DRPs. I have had zero since migration

Thanks for that. I don't mind be banned as the tin said. Just questioning why others don't and Mods playing dumb.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks. Hopefully disputes be solved. Seem to be inconsistencies with the soccer forum.

Letting posters know whats acceptable and whats not is part of the moderation process. Its not like I am the only person who has ever raised this in feedback. Im not. It has been said by others before.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

How about paying mods at least a few hundred euros a month. Not all to Gordon, Niamh and Co.

Jaysus you must be around here a long time if you remember Gordon. He hasn't been on in years.

I wholly concur with paying mods as long as we do not mind boards going out of business

And I remember Squid. Met Wibb in Dublin at at Boards night. Been before Johnny recent incarnation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Best post so far in this thread or any thread for that matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement