Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable Covid death rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So, if Covid doesn't go away do you think we should stay going around in masks forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How do you know she doesn't?

You are making some pretty sweeping judgements there . I cringed reading this , such a cruel post . . I hope nobody I know would ever behave as you describe .

She could have arthritis and need hip surgery, which delayed by Covid and will be further delayed the longer this goes on, for example . She could also be on treatment which makes her vulnerable but unable to drive due to her condition.

This is why the train drivers want more support from the police or transport police , so that drunken yvbs can ejected when causing issues for other reasonable passengers .

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

The infection numbers are going to rise now that winter is coming. Once that hits a certain number, conversations will happen. Conversations that will determine whether we enter another lockdown or not, as well as increased restrictions. If this happens, then the government will have admitted that they are in over their heads and have utterly failed as we were promised and end to lock downs and restrictions once we got vaxxed. As for concessions, I do make them and continue to do so. Perhaps if you would have my read my earlier comment you would have known that, if you had bothered to actually read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's quite straightforward to set up banking remotely, e.g. with N26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

" For a while more ", as in "the grand scheme of things " ,seeing as 5 months mean nothing to you , from your previous post .

If you were actually here, you would know they are not "mandatory outdoors ".

So where are you living then ?

Moscow, Ukraine ?

Perhaps I worded that poorly, apologies. But I also said that immunocompromised people like yourself will have to accept the risk in the outside world, as does everyone I suppose. The only reason that I got vaxxed was to protect people like yourself and the elderly, doing my civic duty if you will. I'm not afraid of catching C19 but if I do and I die, you can have "I told you so" written on my gravestone :p. At the end of the day, this virus isn't going anywhere and life has to return to normal.

Now I know that most of the restrictions are gone but they could also very well return this winter if the numbers get too high, and the icu overwhelmed. The question is: do we accept this or do we move on and let will be, be. If we do enter another lockdown, then whats to stop another lockdown next summer, or winter? Will we have additional lockdowns every year forever? This cannot happen. It's also not fair to begrudge people wanting to enjoy their youth by going clubbing, you're only young once.

It's not endemic.

Endemic is when there are predictable number of cases or small outbreaks but controllable

Pandemic is when it is unpredictable and still spreading .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

actually, the wants more then needs of the many don't outweigh the needs of the few, since that would mean the few never being able to take part in society again due to this.

we are back to normal, everything is open.

the rest of your post is just meaningless ranting word salid i am afraid, since you agree it isn't going away any time soon.

you will have played your part until such time as all remaining restrictions are lifted and cases numbers are low, until then you haven't played your part and done enough, since more is obviously required to be done.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting that anyone is suggesting banning anything like nightclubs etc. However at the same time you can't have businesses closed indefinitely that's effectively in practice a ban. It would be a lot fairer on the people involved to formalise the situation than holding them in limbo indefinitely.

Basically at what point do indefinite restrictions turn into an effective ban?When people talk about a tolerable level of Covid these are the trade offs we have make as a society.

the vulnerable staying home indefinitely while we do whatever we like is unviable and discriminatory and therefore is not an alternative.

you want to be able to do what you like while others should never be able to take part in society again, that isn't simply harsh but discriminatory behaviour.

there are no tough restrictions or lock downs indefinitely, very minimal restrictions for a while so we can get out of this.

the fat people put the whatever down and joined the gymn, restrictions still have to remain for the moment.

No, I don't , because I believe progress will continue to be made on the scientific fronts and Covid will eventually be brought under control, just like other pandemics before it. The treatments will get better, and the vaccines will get better.

But I don't think the time to start taking off masks has come yet.

For those on the thread who appear to be confused about the current advice on when and where to wear face masks, see the following,

Face masks: when and how to wear one - HSE.ie

Last updated, 15/10/2021.

This was due to be reviewed on 22nd October, but due to rising case numbers and hospital admissions, the advice remains unchanged.

Well, the decision on whether another lockdown happens or not is out of your hands and out of mine to decide. Lets cross that bridge if/when we come to it?

The Government can only act on the advice they are given.

In the meantime, the best way to try and avoid another lockdown, is to continue wearing masks where required, hand sanitising and keeping social distances. It does not make sense to remove these things now, that will push the numbers even higher again, and closer to that lockdown WE ALL want to avoid.

Alright so it could go years so. I was just wondering your opinion.

I'm struggling to think of any business' that are still being forced to stay closed?

As far as I'm aware everything is allowed to re-open, albeit with advice on how to re-open and operate in as safe a manner as possible.

@end of the road When case numbers rise (and they will), will you accept another lockdown and restoration of restrictions? We have about 90% (if I remember correctly) vaxxed status, another lockdown is unaccetpable. With regards to immunocompromised people staying home or going , it's their choice of course but the risk will always be there obviously.The country cannot take another lockdown and it's not right to expect society to lockdown again after we have been through so much. Now I'm aware that we aren't under a lockdown or harsh restrictions currently but I'm arguing that should we come to find ourselves under the threat of this again, it is not acceptable. Also why the snide "word salad" remark? Is it too much to ask for a polite discussion?

Yes, most places are reopen now and people are just waiting for a total return to normality.(IE no masks(unless you want one), no covid certs, etc) I do think places seem to have given up on this two meter rule tough.

• Advertisement

Can I just repeat - it is not always a choice for immunocompromised people to stay at home. Many are still of working age, and need to go to workplaces to earn a living.

I believe the threat of another lockdown can be averted if people continue with the existing advice on masks, etc, and keep up the effort to reduce transmissions, and therefore keep hospital numbers as low as possible - even if they do not consider themselves at risk.

I believe removing the remaining restrictions now would be premature, and that is what would make a new lockdown and the reintroduction of harsher restrictions, an inevitability.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yes I think most of us understand what you are saying.

People are just wondering when will we see a total return to normality because they feel Covid isn't going away anytime soon.

if, in the event enough screw up to cause cases to get to a stage where another lock down is needed, which hopefully they might get it this time, then another lock down will be acceptable, because ultimately it will have been deemed necessary because a small minority effed things up for us again.

you don't want another lock down, neither do i, so wear a mask and wash your hands.

get your vaccines if you haven't got them.

None of us here can really know when that will be, it lies in the hands of the scientists. But I think everyone will agree that we all want it sooner rather than later. I don't see anyone on this thread who wants lockdowns and strict restrictions to return, and I personally have not spoken to anyone who wants that either.

My best hope is that a vaccine will be developed that will become a once-a-year jab, like the current flu vaccine, for the at risk groups (or anyone else who wants it).

I don't want another lockdown but it may happen if covid cases increase and our hospital numbers go up. I want us to have a normal life again but to get that hand washing, mask wearing and social distancing must be adhered to. Is that too much to ask?

I think you asked this already without being smart.

Hand washing is fair enough.

Social distancing when you have nightclubs, pubs, household visits, shops all open is very hard to do really. Out off all the restrictions/measures we've left it is sort of gone to be honest.

Social distancing maybe hard but you try and do your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

To save even one life seems well worth the minimal "sacrifice" of social distancing or hand washing or proper mask wearing - pity it seems too much to ask of any of my neighbours.

See I think people can sort of try in shops to an extent but when places are busy there's only so much you can do unless you want the numbers limited.

Simar with a club you go there generally to hook up with somebody and not stay apart.

• Advertisement

But can another lockdown be justified with our high vaccine rate? That's the key issue here. If we go into lockdown again then it will anger quite a lot of people, people who, in their anger might be reluctant to get vaxxed and/or boosters as they will think "what's the point in getting it if we just go into lockdowns again regardless if we get the jabs or not". That's my fear, a reduction in vaccine rates because case numbers will rise and the icu will be at risk of overflowing therefore bringing us back to square one or close to it and thus further lockdowns and restrictions.

Advertisement