Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 4th Quarter

• 07-09-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

just wondering has anyone heard any more about a recruitment drive this year. I seen earlier this year they spoke about the 4th quarter of 2021 but have not seen anything since. any help appreciated thanks

Comments

No news yet, but I'm keeping my eyes fully peeled - I'll ping you if anything is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RMOT

Hey guys. Just wondering what everyone is doing as regards prep for the potential new recruitment campaign? I completed an online aptitude course from career services back in the spring. Probably going to start redoing it again to refresh. Any other tips would be appreciated?

I have completed a couple of those too, one other thing which I thought was a good idea, was to complete as much as I could of the application form ahead of time.

My understanding of how campaigns have gone previously, is that you may only have a week or 2 to submit the application, and its something many applicants often find themselves wishing they had more time to put into when it comes to interview.

I have a copy of last years form, kindly provided by another member of this forum, but I can likely be of some help to others if any of you want to shoot me a dm.

I’d really appreciate that. I’ll send you a DM

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JPS881

Hi guys,

I am myself waiting for the next recruitment drive. I have heard it will be quarter 4 of this year. I have emailed public jobs about when the next recruitment drive will take place. I can post here there response. I also got on to the mayor to ask about when is the next recruitment drive. He got back to me that it could possibly be in quarter 4 due to covid restrictions. With all restrictions being lifted next month I think I’m confident that one will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The mayor?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

Hi guys ya it’s looking promising quarter 4 any word oh recruiting reserves next year?

Alos does anyone know what they Garda reserve stream entails on the application ?

Budget mentioned a provision for 800 new Gardaí, so fingers crossed for Q4. Thats a big number so they will need to get rolling asap I imagine.

The reserve program underwent (may still be undergoing?) an extensive review to ensure it meets the needs of today, as a result of that review, several recommendations will need to be implemented, and with that in mind recruitment was halted until further notice.

I assume they want to get things going with reserves again, so wouldnt be surprised to see reserve recruitment open sometime next year also. But we dont know.

As for the reserve stream, it is the means by which an applicant to the fulltime force indicates they are a serving Garda Reserve member - a certain number of spots per campaign (at least historically) are given to those applicants, similar to how the Irish Fluency stream works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JackHiker1995

deleted

Does anybody know what the story is with the recruitment drive for this year? Will it be going ahead? With budget 2021 there was supposed to be a recruitment drive of up to 600 new gardai. From the announce from budget 2022 I wonder will they just leave the recruitments until next year?

• Advertisement

Also does anybody know if you are a serving member of the reserve defence forces are you more likely to succeed?

Hey I've heard the recruitment will happen early next year b cause they won't start it before Xmas.How true that actually is I don't know 🤔.I have been practicing on career services and also Garda IP.The verbal reasoning I find so hard.Ive read it's 42questions in 12minutes but on the Garda IP it's 15questions in 20minutes.Does anyone which it is? And does any of the practice questions come up in the the real thing or has it in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Iceomatrix

I emailed Garda HRM the other day about a new campaign and the response I got was that it would be run by the end of the year but a date had not been set yet.

not too sure on the questions I’ve been using Garda IP so I hope they have it right.

Thanks for replying :). I find the Garda IP harder than career services for logical reasoning but see that as a good thing because if you get good practice on the harder ones your flying!! It's just the comprehension on it that's confusing because I don't think we will have 20mins for 15questions but it be great if we did🙈

Hi guys I’m pretty sure recruitment will start this month. I think aptitude tests will go ahead before Christmas. They have to start soon as budget 2021 was promised 600 new gardai.

Does anyone here use careers services mock tests ?

Yes, I have access to that course currently - find the content in general very good.

If you have specific questions fire away, or feel free to dm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

I've been practicing the Garda IP stage 1 since the budget announcement. I find the course excellent although logical reasoning is tough (I'm bad at maths!). I've spoken to Noel the owner a few times too about a Garda career. He's a retired chief superintendent, really knows his stuff and is so helpful.

Logical Reasoning tests are a new concept for most people, so like any new skill, practice is the key - once you've been at them a while, you'll find yourself able to look at any new test and score well by applying the rules you have learned.

My Maths skills would be my weakest area too, so lets both be glad they seem to have abandoned the numerical reasoning side of things!

Hi Guys,

Once we have completed the aptitude tests online will the next stage be supervised? I heard the second stage takes place in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Second stage is supervised yes, historically that has been in Dublin - hard to know now what will happen with Covid, but its normally in the PAS buildings, same thing for Stage 3 (interview)

Thanks. I’m sure the recruitment process will start soon. Ideally if everything was to take place as planned templemore could possibly be a year away from now. With other recruits from previous years I think they have been waiting up to a year with medicals, vetting and fitness tests.

Lets hope so!

Yea its been madness, some insane stories on here of people waiting crazy amounts of time.

No real update here, but since I know some of you are as desperate for news as myself, as per https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-10-21a.239&s=Garda+Trainee+Competition#g241.r

"An Garda Síochána have advised that a recruitment plan for 2022 is currently being developed to manage the recruitment processes for Garda members and Garda staff roles. I understand there are a number of successful candidates who will be called from the last competition but a new Garda Trainee competition is also being planned which will be launched before the end of this year or early next year."

Couple of notewrothy points;

1: They knew to expect some people are now not going to have vetting signed off in time and will be forced to wait for the first intake from the 2022 campaign.

2: The minister clearly states it may not be this year the campaign launches, which is slightly different to what PAS told a candidate last week in stating there was a campaign this year, and they were awaiting dates.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ditser

Hi Lou Lou. I rang GardaIP after I read your post. Noel said in 2019 the Verbal Reasoning Test was 30 questions to answer in 17 minutes (so 30secs per Q). He said the Logical Reasoning in 2019 was 24 questions in 25 minutes (about 1 min per Q). I asked about his Tests and he said there's are set at the same time per Q. The PAS sometimes changes the amount of Q's but the ratio of time to question stays around the same. Thought Id tell everyome here

I really hope the campaign opens before the end of this year and get things moving.

Is anyone else finding the verbal reasoning tricky? Some of the wording can throw you off especially when reading through the passage quickly. I wonder are you better off taking your time and getting answers correct but not finishing or getting it finished with perhaps some mistakes?

It has been the case in the past, that there are so many questions applicants are not expected to answer them all. So you are certainly better off taking your time and excercising caution, in as much as time allows anyway.

Worth noting, and something which is often lost on people, is that those tests are explicitly present to ensure you are not the type of person who will take risks, and act without sufficient information. So guessing, or trying to get through them for the sake of volume, is highly likely to result in a fail.

I have contacted careers services and public jobs on the matter. They have both indicated that they are planning for a recruitment by the end of this year. From budget 2021 there was a budget for up to 600 new gardai to be recruited.

• Advertisement

No worries, give me a shout if you need any specific help, happy to help if I can.

Advertisement