Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I reject it because I take his comment in the context of the other racist things he has said and done. This has been pointed out to you many times already but you keep ignoring it.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is what he said

"A substantial amount of the chavs have become black. The whites have become black; a particular sort of violent destructive, nihilistic gangster culture has become the fashion.”

You're wrong again. So piss off until you can actually discuss in good faith

To adjust and paraphrase Lady Thatcher: False. False. False!!!

Behind the slogan that "...the whites have become black", here is what Starkey actually meant.

Starkey made the argument that the worst elements of black culture / gang culture / rap were being subsumed into white youth - that they saw this as cool and trendy and something worth adopting. He went on to quote many of the youth in London who used language and behaviour you'd expect to see in black gang culture etc. He was drawing a legitimate parallel, as well as arguing this was a phenomenon of multicultural London and not something you see in the northern towns of England.

Starkey deliberately tries to court controversy, with truth attached, and through the power of the verbal word had achieved precisely that.

You can call him stupid for expressing what he said. But being a contrarian and provocateur and historian does not make you a racist.

And neither does his interpretation of the London riots, despite the false and misleading interpretation you give to the slogan he uttered on Newsnight.

I remember a LOT of posts where trump supporters spent time and energy explaining what he actually meant. The difference though is that Starkey is an intelligent, well educated man. what makes you think you understand what he meant better than he did? He strikes me as the type who thinks before he speaks and chooses his words carefully. well, except for the "damn blacks" thing.

I don't.

He explained it for himself, hence my link to his very lengthy column.

and i wouldn't call him stupid for what he said. I would call him racist. what do you expect when you link black culture and criminality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Here he goes, into full defense mode.... if I didn't know better, and if they could afford it I would honestly think tou were being paid by Farage to post here.

Obviously that's not true because farage is a grifter, he doesnt give money to people like you he takes it.

Ah yes

The old

Not all racists are white supremacist argument 🤣

He didn't compare "black culture", he was specific in comparing black gang culture - which we all know about, and know exists.

We also know about violence in rap culture.

Starkey was drawing these legitimate strings together to try to explain part of the underpinning of the London Riots.

If you are suggesting you cannot ever mention black people, even in relation to gang culture (or to even admit that black gang culture exists), then it becomes impossible to discuss some topics.

And that's just not a good place to be.

• Advertisement

After the fact, after he so lazily said it as he did, he came up with that.

He's an expert writer of prose. He got caught, and used his expertise to basically say what I actually meant was this. The veil had slipped though, it was bullshit excuses.

He could've just said, gang culture is having a terrible impact. He specifically said black though. That, for a very intelligent man, holds a lot of meaning and power.

He said black because it's not white gang culture.

We have to call a spade a spade, and not be afraid to say so.

That doesn't mean active racism is involved. It's a sociological observation.

you can mention them all you want but when you say that black culture is responsible for white people committing crime then you are into racism territory.

"he merely argued that cultural factors - such as typical rap glorifying violence - was a motivating factor."

I'm in my 50's

I've been a fan of rap music all through the 80's to present day! To my shame I loved some Will Smith and to this day know all the words to vanilla ice ICE ICE BABY and snows lyrical masterpiece INFORMER.

On the flip side NWA, 2PAC, BIGGY etc Al were my go to CD's, these days (depending on my mood and the distance I have to drive) I like yo listen to NAS, LIL BABY & FREDDY GIBBS & THE ALCHEMIST.

Not once have I ever felt the need to resort to violence because of the music I listen to. Saying that I also have Garth Brookes and Motzart on my playlists.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

The culture of the 'damn blacks', I think you mean.

Plenty of white London gangs. Plenty of Pakistani, Jewish, Caribbean, Nigerian etc etc gangs.

He specifically said black. It was a lazy stereotype and no more. Only after he the veil sliooed did he try to write his way out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Don't know about white supremacy, but he is an arrogant arsehole who doesn't respect Ireland very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Given your inability to accept evidence why bother you just ignore evidence to suit you and your idol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We've been here countless times. Make shrill and false accusations such as Marcus Rashford being akin to a child molester and sex trafficker, refuse to acknowledge even making said claim despite everyone seeing it while being hypocritical enough to ask others for evidence which will immediately be ignored because common sense conservatives need their own special echo chamber and can't take being challenged.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think when someone prefers to attack the messenger trying to highlight and combat the sad reality of Child Food Poverty in the UK, it speaks more to the poster than their political ideologies. "Common sense" doesn't preclude the will to help children starving through no fault of their own, or the need to highlight a broken system that yields more Food Banks than McDonalds. "Common sense" conservatism still understands the need for healthy, well-fed and nurtured children - even if from a simply utilitarian perspective that one needs a future workforce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course, but this sort of conservatism died a death some time ago. Now, it's about how bad BLM and the trans community are. The fact (and shame) that food banks outnumber McDonalds outlets is irrelevant to modern common sense conservatives. Engaging with a problem wastes time that can be spent posturing on social media and dining with party donors.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've asked this question before but have yet to get an answer.

Why are "conservatives" seemingly permanently frightened?

All we seem to hear from them is about how their way of life is "under attack" and how things they hold near and dear to them are "being stolen away" etc.

Family Values ,Jobs , Religion , Cultural Identity , Guns ( US) , History are all being dismantled and stolen away from them.

None of those things are really true though and by and large there is no basis in fact for any of these "fears"

So - Where is the fear coming from and if it's manufactured somehow - Why?

I think the thing is that a few decades ago, the foundations were rock solid. The trick is to incorporate a majority of people into the status quo such that they benefit from it and therefore will not vote for anything radical. Traditionally, this was done by championing individual achievement and creating opportunity. People would buy houses, have children and spend on luxuries.

Conservatism, as it exists now is a pretty stupid idea unless you're wealthy and most people aren't. People are no longer attached to the status quo. In addition, people who previously hid from society or were trampled by it are now empowered to stand in the open and ask difficult questions that conservatives cannot answer so we get the usual canards about elites, cancel culture, etc. They never bothered to build the next generation of conservative voters. We have an ageing society and the answer of conservatism to this was tax cuts for the elites and culture war.

The problem is that with so many people now ambivalent about much of the status quo, conservatives fear that these questions could lead to significant change. Billionaires hoard wealth and the old adage about people turning conservative as they age has been rendered void thanks to conservatives themselves. We've already seen the impetus for change have real effects with many politicians in the UK embracing the green agenda, voting through same sex marriage and so on. The arguments against these are flimsy at best or are shady at worst.

The US is different because keeping people convinced that someone wants their guns, God or family means they'll vote for whoever makes the most noise about protecting these gets in and proceeds to act in their own interests. Ultimately, conservatism is about power, control, influence and, above all, wealth. The US right talks much about God but Mammon is the object of their affections, not Jesus.

It's a tactic that ignores the long term and has shown great success but, as people become less wedded to the status quo and more positive about change it isn't working the way it used to. Traditional media is dying and society is the most diverse it's ever been. Things previously captured by conservatives are now up for debate such as colonialism and patriotism and they know they can't win so they double down and fail even harder.

They're right to be afraid but this is entirely of their own making. You can't build your house on sand and expect it to be resistant to storms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There used to be a time, not so long ago, when both sides of the political lines understood that a healthy populace was a strong populace and a strong populace was essential for a strong nation. Something happened somewhere along the line where we have, remarkably, people lashing out at the likes of Marcus Rashford because he dared highlight the problems with malnourished children and food banks in a rich first world country. How someone like that can become a target for anyone really calls for the people who consider him a target to review their politics with great haste.

I'[m sure that there are still some "common sense" conservatives knocking around, but you don't tend to see a lot of them online at the moment. They're mostly just the nasty internet shitbag types, who think that being vile is somehow "conservative".

You certainly won't find any "common sense" conservatives on this thread anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's getting to the point where, if he was chasing a black man through a cornfield wihile wearing white hods and carrying a flaming pitchfork in each hand, you'd say, ah sure no - it wasn't real racism....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Clearly it was a cream hood not a white one so clearly he is not in the KKK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You forgot the likely aspect where the black man would probably be blamed here; some waffle where he decided to be trespassing in that cornfield, the white guy only defending his property.

It seems that Starkey's appearance on GB News lately has had some impact. Starkey has started his own YouTube Channel and, in the past 2-3 days since its inception, has already hoovered up almost 20,000 subscribers.

That said, during the interview with Farage, Starkey hinted more than once that he was hoping to secure a spot on GB News, too.

So what? It's already been explained to you several times using the smallest of words why youtube numbers mean fùck all.

What racist lowlife is farage entertaining this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, there are at least 20,000 racists in the UK. Not that surprising, really.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I suppose to be devil's advocate, 20k subs for a broadly irrelevant old duffer on YouTube is impressive. For literally anyone else making a go of the medium, it's small fry.

He's got various books published and is allegedly an intellectual though anyone who behaves so obsequiously as him doesn't deserve that title IMO.

I see he's already begging for handouts as well.

Not a racist at all, veteran Tory MP, Michael Fabricant.

Yup, just a normal every day buddy of farage

In July 2018, Fabricant was accused of being Islamophobic over a subsequently-deleted tweet he shared depicting London mayor Sadiq Khan, who is a Muslim, in a sex act with a pig."

Sounds like a lovely chap

"Conservative MP Michael Fabricant has apologised after tweeting that he might punch a female journalist in the throat.

Fabricant made the comments about leftwing journalist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown after she clashed with rightwing commentator Rod Liddle on a television news programme.

He tweeted: "I could never appear on a discussion prog with @y_alibhai I would either end up with a brain haemorrhage or by punching her in the throat."

Making light of mental health too

The Twitter user wrote: "He won’t get his way. Brexit is impossible to deliver, and will end the UK. The UK cannot be saved."

But Fabricant shot back: "Have you tried taking anti-depressants after seeing a good doctor?"

I'm starting to see a definite pattern here, Farage only has racist cùnts on as guests.

The big book of excuses will be needed tonight methinks

Making either distasteful and/or tongue-in-cheek comments, or lampooning public figures, does not make one a racist. You've made tongue-in-cheek comments about his hair, for example; and that's fine, it's your right to do so.

That's just a difference of opinion between you and I.

In any event, I'll be watching the interview on GB News tonight.

He's a racist, make all the excuses for him you want, Farage has a pattern of bringing racist guests onto his hour of hate show.

A pattern? It's a prerequisite at this point.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure you'd state a Swastika tattoo is an off colour joke at this stage.

The majority of tonight's show is about COP26 and fisheries / France etc.

"Hour of hate" brings the meaning of hyperbole to a whole new level.

Has he said anything good about COP26?

What's whinging about fishing going to do?

The fishing issues are partly down to Farage himself! How many fisheries meetings did he go to when he was on the EU fisheries committee? Whys he now so worried about the British fishing industry when he did absolutely nothing to protect it when he had the chance?

As far as I'm aware, Farage argues that there was no point attending such meetings precisely because they were impotent.

He still collected the paychecks though! You simply cannot whinge about something when you were on a committee that was in charge of that issue and you didn't turn up for 99% of the meetings and didn't vote on any of the decisions being made.

Farage must look at some of these guests and think to himself

"How the fùck did this clown get into parliament and then keep getting re-elected and I couldn't even get in once" 🤣

• Advertisement

Farage:

1) "The EU stops us doing anything re. fishing"

2) "The EU is completely impotent re. fishing"

Well, if you think about it, his actions are entirely consistent with his politics: namely, why would he perform as a prop of the EU when his entire belief is that the UK - and not MEPs - should make these decisions. Had Farage attended those meetings, I've no doubt you'd argue that he's a hypocrite. Either way, you'll condemn Farage.

Fabricant denies wearimg a wig. Some would feel that this, combined with the fact that he wears a wig, diminishes his credibility somewhat.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/conservative-mp-michael-fabricant-attends-day-two-of-the-annual-on-picture-id1044090362?s=612x612

Oh he's consistent alright, a grifter who does the bare minimum to get the money, he even admitted this

"Footage of the Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage bragging about how much money he earns as an MEP for so little work has reemerged on social media.

"This represents four working days and one journey. We're talking about £1,900. It's a good job this.  

I worked it out that because so much of what you get is after tax that if you used the secretarial allowances to pay your wife on top of all the other games you play I reckon this job in sterling terms is worth over £250,000 a year to you - that is what you would need to earn working for Goldman Sachs or someone like that"

All he does is shout and whinge about everything, even the things he was supposed to be overseeing, a lazy, racist grifter who loves fans like you who swallow everything he says.

I've seen that clip before; and it often gets misquoted in the way that you've outlined.

In it, Farage tells the interviewer how well he's paid; how ridiculously lavish the life of an MEP has become, and how this is part of the corruption of funds and the complete waste that it entails, by having this construct called the EU. The point of the clip was to show how unnecessary the organization is, how MEPs and other bureaucrats are overpaid, and the whole system is filthy to the core.

He wasn't bragging about being wealthy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement