Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Are you still sanitising every item you going home from the supermarket?

Yes I am. Takes ages but it's worth it to possibly reduce the virus

It'll be the same as every year for me. Your precious sprogs will get the square root of **** all from this house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

bocaman wrote: »
    Absolutely incredible to think children can go Trick or Treat during the lockdown. Disappointing for children but its up to parents to come up with alternative entertainment.

Nevermind the children.

There is nothing surer than the usual tabloid and social media videos of grown adults having parties as flaunting the rules appearing on the morning of November 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It seems people have lost all reason or common sense if they need to be told to tone down Halloween for this year.

This extends to the much revered Zara King who asked for guidelines from the CMO on Halloween.

Unfortunately people do need to be told not to do this stuff. The attitude seems to be that unless you are told not to, then its allowed, and even with that some people feel the rules don't apply to them.

If people did as they were told we wouldn't be in this situation now after the first lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 opsbudda

it had better not be cancelled! I've been working on my George Lee costume for over a week now- gonna frighten the ****e out of people!

Love it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

but I thought children didn't get or spread covid, and that's why its fine that schools are still open?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m doing up a scavenger hunt for our estate based on the decorations on the houses. Then I give ours the prizes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I’m doing up a scavenger hunt for our estate based on the decorations on the houses. Then I give ours the prizes

We're doing this too. We're even doing a map for the parents. It'll be just our luck that it'll lash on the evening itself. :pac:

Neyite wrote: »

The kids don't give a sh!t about going around the houses. All they want is a haul of candy. So just buy them a load of it and stick on Hocus Pocus at home instead.

That’s all I want to do on the 31st and I’m 47!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,872 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So will kids go mad celebrating this year even though cases are high in 5 to 12 year olds, will you open your door

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Halloween was fairly normal here last year. The only difference was a lot of people set up tables in their driveways to distribute candy. Even going door to door, it's not like kids are coming inside and breathing everywhere, and we know now that there is very little transmission risk from surfaces or objects, so what evidence us there to suggest Halloween is any more risky than other activities? People need to get a grip and move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Listening to i radio on my morning drive and a woman said she was taking her kids out trick or treating tonight. WTF? Halloween is on Sunday!

I ain’t buying any sweets till Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well yes, in my defense I live in the US. It's a big deal here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From what I know it's seems to be going ahead this year.

The only thing that really will hold it back is they've school the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I think the general consensus is keep it very local ,as in staying on their own road. Going out early , after dark obviously.

School the next morning will keep things quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Typical NPHET, scheduling Halloween on a Sunday, when will their reign of tyranny end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Thankfully large crowds are present in Derry - the overwhelming majority without paper bags over their heads. I told a Marshall trying to enforce a one-way walking system to wise up and walked on in the direction I was going.

• Advertisement

I’ve a load of mini bags of Haribo sweets ready to go- they better come as it will have been a waste otherwise- I think it’s minimal risk if done sensibly but I can totally understand elderly people not opening their doors this year- just wear a mask keep your distance by maybe using a small table or something and place the sweets there and stand back as they collect-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can't wait to bring my kids out this evening, the youngest is 3 so it's his first time and he's very excited about it.

I really hope the weather stays good.

I have loads of sweets bought. My plan is to place the sweets directly into their bags, washing or sanitising my hands after each group of callers. I’m not gonna let the kids grab a handful of sweets out of my bowl as they usually would.

Can kids not just have one night of fun without all the sanitising and masks stuff? Their lives have been ruined by adults (school disruptions, mental health etc). Most people who get covid either don't know they have it or brush it off quickly. Case numbers sound scary, but we need a bit of perspective on this.

I’m not washing or sanitising my hands in front of them. I’ll do it after I’ve closed the door.

And masks are a Halloween thing anyway.

Sorry, I hope you didn't think I was singling you out with that post. It was more a plea to adults to just let children have fun on this one day. Your post just happened to be above mine.

Would you agree with me that a lot of adults in Ireland have lost all sense of proportion?

Children are actually the most intelligent people in society at the moment. They just get on with things. No masks, no sanitising their hands every 5 minutes, totally relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same as last year here... just going to put up some decor, lights, spooky music... nice big goody bags are already made up and stick them in the in a box in the porch and leave it open....

gonna kick back, watch Netflix with the lights down low and relax and forget about what’s going on outside, about 9.30 take everything in, bin and lock up...

you’re grand 😊

I’m loving tonight loads and loads calling around and everyone happy even though it lashed down for over an hour.

ive ran out of sweets though and I had loads! Gonna have to do a shop run again 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,555 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just listening to 2fm, the request show, and so so many requests for Michael Jackson Thriller, and he claims its coming up, then again, then again, then again, and then he plays some Thriller Remix . **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Plenty of fireworks here , but no trick or treaters. As mentioned above I think the unwritten rule is no decorations, no knock.

Few fireworks went off Friday but not a saint nor sinner around here this year, and I actually had a few bits and pieces to give out.

Not to worry, I'm tucking in as I type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

Had more callers tonight than I've had any other year. Some of them having their first Halloween out. The excitement in them was great to see. The weather didn't deter them either.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not a single caller here. Lights off and hang out at the back of the house. Still hearing a lot of exploding dole money from the estate behind though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,555 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The LOst bOys on TMC sky 315

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I often wonder about people like you, did you not get any enjoyment from Halloween as a child?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Loads of kids out around ours last night, including my own.They loved the fireworks, knocked on all the doors and came back soaked with massive bags of sweets.

Delighted they got to enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭tigger123

Not really a thing for me. Was never really into it. Was dressed up in a bin bag every year like most kids of my era, and sent out to collect a Quinnsworth bag full of monkey nuts from neighbours who also had kids on a similar mission. Strict warning to only knock on the doors of houses with kids that we knew. Monkey nuts usually went in the bin after a day or two. Stopped when I was 9 or 10.

So, not particularly agin' it, but still not into it. Definitely not interested in answering the door every two minutes to a gang of kids I don't know, belonging to neighbours I don't know, who are probably as into monkey nuts as I was at their age. And I'm not heading out to buy them chocolate. They get enough of that at home. Roundy little feckers!

I do. It's not compulsory, you know. This is actually the first halloween I've been in the country for in ages. Not counting last year, which didn't really happen. I'm usually abroad stocking up on sunshine for the winter ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement