Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep same here at least in Star Trek. Its OK it the Marvels Universe as its done good but not in Star Trek especially not if its every season. If it was just for one season in a series OK maybe but not all the time it just gets tedious.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

First few seconds of this are one for "Star Trek without context". "Is it true you make them call you Captain Kim? Sir?" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Those moments are great, pity they're few and far between on Voyager.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Good morning."

"That remains to be seen."

:)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Um, shouldn't somebody tell them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He does look well for 90; I'm so used to frail, almost skeletal creatures like Prince Phillip or Clint Eastwood, it's jarring to see a 90-year-old look so plump and hearty. Must be all that energy he feeds on from winding others up 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Does anyone know if the other 3 made it back with him ?

No precautions taken against possible shapeshifter infiltration...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watching the live-stream, and of course Bezos has to be there, aviator shades & flight suit on. Helping his rich friends out of the tip of his díck rocket.

Eat the rich.

Yes I am a grump.

• Advertisement

If I had my own rocket I'd definitely be there for every launch.

The quote attributed to Rafał Gan-Ganowicz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Giant Penis only stayed up for 11 minutes.

In fairness Denny Crane is 90 years old so getting up at all is an achievement at that age

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yeah wow, unless that was grade A Oscar winning performance acting, it seemed to me that Shatner was completely overwhelmed by the experience. It was kind of amazing to see as he has such a huge ego but he was kind of reduced to a completely humbled, childlike reverence for the immensity of what he experienced. It seemed like this went completely over Bezos's head who rudely interrupted him with that Champagne gesture. I think Shatner was in an entirely difference headspace there where things like Champagne are utterly small and irrelevant. It was great to see his reaction, he was definitely human enough to register the mind blowing wonder of the universe. Bezos by comparison must be an alien from the planet of the Penis People.

It came today. I'll put one together later. Bluray box for scale

I started with the NX so this might not apply to all the models but it's ok-ish. Some of the parts, nacelles in particular, are a bit warped and require a bit of extra cleaning and the fit on everthing isn't great and will require some superglue and clamping to get a good seal between parts. Also there is some painting required in spots, bussards and nacelle glow, for example.

The detail on the NX saucer is pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They're warp nacelles. Of course they're warped.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Over the last few days, I watched the trilogy of Q Who, The Best of Both Worlds, and Start Trek: First Contact. That's a absolutely fantastic story arc, and there is plenty of heart and soul in First Contact which is missing from most of the TNG movies.

One thing I noticed is how much more menacing the Borg drones looked in First Contact compared to the TV show. I guess that is due to the talent of the extras available to motion pictures versus 90s TV.

The instant assimilation angle (which was kinda introduced in BoBW if you look hard enough gave an extra scare factor to the Borg. That scene where Picard shoots the just assimilated redshirt (yellow) is pretty shocking.

FC kinda just makes them true zombies which worked until the femdom queen

• Advertisement
    Ms

I think the Voyager writers missed out big time with Voyeger getting to Borg Space. There was the potential there for at least a season long arc and what do they do but squeeze into into two episodes.

I think I would have had Voyager realising that they are near Borg space maybe by another race they meet just before it and deciding to go around it but then meeting another race who offer them cloaking technolagy for transporters and for Voyagers help in fighting two Borg Cubes in there space. I also would have had a couple of the main cast-assimilated maybe Kes and Tuvok but maybe they get Tuvok back.

I would not have had a Borg Queen at all. The Borg were scarier without her.

Instead all they-wanted to do was have a more powerful race than the Borg and while Scorpion part 1 and 2 are not bad it could have been so much more.

Titles for each episode could have been "Borg Space"

"The attack"

"The lose"

"Enemy on the run"

"Safe again"

That is just a few titles.

Not necessarily in that order.

Anyone care to add titles for a season of Voyager in or around Borg space is welcome.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

To be fair to Voyager they did have 2 episodes with Borg, granted one was just a dead drone, before Scorpion.

Borg space in the style of the proposed season long Year of Hell could have been really good. Resistance, Futile, and Irrelevant would have made catchy titles for a trilogy of Voyager picking a fight they think they can win, like when they tried to steal a transwarp coil, only to get beaten down for two episodes and then left alone by the end because they're so beaten there's better prospects to spend time and resources assimilating.

I think that's enough, I'm getting uncomfortably close to fan fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've recently finished my first ever run through of that season. My over arching (pun intended) feeling from that was a severe hate for Jonathan Archer. Yes Sisko did some grey area activities during the Dominion conflict but he never put his crew in much moral dilemmas. The way Archer treated Phlox and by extension Sato in the end was downright deplorable, even by 21st century standards. Very unpleasant character.

Sisko did grey acts?

Bio bombing a planet to commit ethnic cleansing, on a global scale...

All because Eddington beat him and he took it personally.

I love DS9 (easily my favourite Trek) and love Sisko but he didn't just play in the grey.

No, he did it IIRC. Eddington tried to call his bluff when they were sparring during their holo-chat, but Sisko launched the torpedos anyway.

Dax mentions at the end that she can't believe Starfleet was OK with the plan and Sisko says he forgot to bring it up.

Eddington was always dead right about Sisco being Javert. He was obsessed with stopping Eddington and his old buddy who betrayed him not the Maquis itself. It was all personal

Nice Easter egg Valjean was the name of Chakotays ship in Voyager

• Advertisement

Of course, were it Discovery and Burnham's warcrime torpedoing of a planet, it would have been justified by other characters tearfully telling Michael how inspiring she was, and it was the right move. Then something something Starfleet.

Advertisement