Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Unfortunately no. They're not played on a rated course. I don't even think there's scope in the system for them to be rated. And there's definitely not any capacity in the system for the raters to do it. They're flat out at the moment. We've been trying to get a set of tees rated for women since January. Obviously that couldn't happen then, but renewed the request over two months ago and still waiting.

Edit: Clubs should really avoid doing this. I understand the desire to have competitions of a reasonable length and cutting back on the number of holes to take account of the shorter days, but it does lead to this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No and it's a real shame they aren't able to come up with some solution outside of 9 or 18 holes.

Our club has a Tuesday evening 10 hole comp throughout the summer. You have to play away from clubhouse on 10 to make it non counting.

It's for the team members, the lads on the way up and a few who don't mind. An awful lot of people have stopped contributing to it at this stage. 31 points was the best I've seen this summer, it's generally in the 25-27 range.

They finally brought in a 9 hole qualifying comp though in fairness to them, Tuesday mornings between 10am and 12.

If you look at the calculations required for nine hole scores to be converted to 18 hole score differentials, you would get an idea of how difficult it would be to do the same for a random collection of holes that are neither nine or eighteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Brusna

The instruction we got from golf Ireland was that all competition’s run by the club including groups or societies within the club such as seniors, beginners etc must go through the WHS when the course is in an acceptable score condition. This includes 12 and 15 hole competitions.

I did query this with golf Ireland and the answer I got quoted rule 3.2 of the rules of handicapping which basically means the remaining holes in a 12 or 15 hole competition are marked as did not play.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Given what we've achieved with technology, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with a program that's relatively easy to use/adjust to non 9 or 18 hole comps.

That's aimed at those in charge of the system rather than a club or HC sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea but which remaining holes? The first 3 which you scratched or the last 3 where you pulled 11 points?

I recall reading some time ago (before WHS) that all comps should be processed through computer even if they were not qualifying. Some clubs did it, others didn’t. But they all should be doing it and the scores would be on your record, all be it non qualifying.

I suspect this would be the same, score on record, just not qualifying

The competition is set up as an 18 hole event on the computer. The players play the 12 or 15 holes and the remaining holes are marked as did not play. The score is scaled up to an 18 hole score as per rule 3.2 of the rules of handicapping and it goes on your WHS record.

Non qualifying events do not appear on your WHS record.

Well as Brusna points out above (and I had forgotten) you can just scratch the remaining holes and it's still qualifying. This applies to ten or more holes played from an eighteen hole course. It's probably the best solution. The problem with rating the played holes is that they may not be either sequential or consistent. Score differentials could be arbitrary and affect handicaps in unexpected ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Well it's not quite scaled up. From what you said earlier, GI said to mark the other holes as 'did not play'. The WHS portal treats these as gross bogey (iirc) and not net double bogey as for a scratched hole. Bit of a difference there.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, I remember we discussed this earlier in the thread. Holes not played must be marked as such to get the correct scaled up 18 hole score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It treats holes not played as net par which might be the same if you are 18 handicap ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Had my best score in a while recently playing a casual 9 but didn’t get the score differential I was expecting

playing of yellows for which my playing handicap is 24

aftwr my differential came in higher than I expected I noticed that my PH on front 9 only is 10 and back 9 only is 11 which adds up to 21 - where do the other shots go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

9 hole calculation is different then 18 as it includes the HI with slope as well as par and course rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

One of the local regulars was cut 3 shots over the weekend (from 12 to 9). He was level par for a 15 hole comp (non-qualifying) and pissed home. No entry on his GI profile for that comp but I can see the actual HC is lower than what's on the graph. His previous best counting score was 83. I've played with him once before, an older gent who wouldn't hit it miles but has a tidy enough short game. Wouldn't have picked him out as capable of that kind of score but we'll have our day in the sun. I believe the only local rule at the time was lift, clean replace on fairways fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My home course have also decided to set a neutral slope for the 9 hole winter comps too, so both are set to 113, they were trying to neutralise the system and set it so that both 9s should result in the same playing handicap for people and stop people playing one of the 9s over the other as the would get an extra shot on one with the calculated slopes.

Not sure I agree completely with it, but thats the route theyve taken

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

When you play a 9 hole round of golf for handicap purposes, the software has to convert that into an 18 hole round of golf and rather than just mirror the back 9 with the same score as you had on the front 9, it takes the same 9 holes as you just played, and gives you nett pars on every hole, except the first hole, where it gives you a nett bogey.

The reason it does this is because it assumes that people are going to do better over 9 holes, than they would over 18 holes. so whatever score you have for the front 9, it gives you a nett 17 stableford points for your 2nd 9 holes. ( this works the other way too, if you have a **** front 9, it assumes you will do better on the back and give you 17)

So take your recent 9 hole scores and applying this formula to it from that link ::

9 hole score differential Conversion = (113 / 9 hole slope rating) * (( 9 hole adjusted gross + 9 hole par + 9 hole handicap + 1 ) - (9 hole course rating * 2) - (2 * 0.5 * PCC))

This is a calculation I did for one of my 9 hole scores in Athlone

126 = 9 hole slope of course

41 = 9 hole adjusted gross

36.9 = 9 hole stroke rating

8.3 = score differential

0 = PCC

5 = your course handicap

9 hole score differential Conversion = (113 / 9 hole slope rating) * (( 9 hole adjusted gross + 9 hole par + 9 hole handicap + 1 ) - (9 hole course rating * 2) - (2 * 0.5 * PCC))

113/126 * ((41 + 36 + 5 + 1 ) - (36.9 *2 ) - 0)

113/126 * (83-73.8)

0.8968 * 9.2 = 8.25056 which rounds up to 8.3

Apologies if that was really long winded, but thats how it works out. Plug your own details into the formula and see if it works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

I’ll think I’ll let the app do the maths!

interesting to see the reason though I shot my best ever front 9 score of 43 and assumed it would just mirror to the back 9 to give 86 , have only broken 90 once and haven’t got within 4 shots of that score since , was raging when I saw the differential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Interesting. Was shocked by the number that 54% of golfers have less than 20 rounds on their records.

In continuing some of my gripes, played 14 hole comp in my own place yesterday. Played very well, had 32 points, so beat my handicap by 4 on the day (PH of 8 for the 14 holes)

Chatting with partners after and all agreed I'd be in the mix potentially for a prize.

Saw the results come in last night, won by a 33 index with 38 points for 14 holes, 2nd place 36 points from a 30.6 index.

I'd need to be -2 for 14 holes to match that score, which is a bit beyond me to be honest. I shot 4 over gross, realistically could have maybe shot 2 or 3 over with the way I played. Would still be miles off the pace.

It is a little gauling to see someone with, in 14 holes, a quad, a treble, 5 doubles, still beating their handicap by 10 shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Was it interesting? If you've been reading the thread here or keeping an eye on it in general there's very little in it you wouldn't already know.

What I was hoping for were some figures. There are none in there. And the focus seems to be on the really big handicaps, whereas most of the anecdotes I've heard of fellas winning the big comps with ridiculous scores have been the guys who should be single digits, but are mid teens instead.

I'm looking forward to seeing some actual data on it. But I'm not confident I will any time soon if at all. I'm not convinced people want it to be honest. I think people want to give out about the 30 handicappers and don't want to hear that they're not winning a disproportionate number of comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If I move clubs in the morning do my 20 rounds carry over or am I back to zero?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

There are certainly several parts that I wasn't already aware of ...

"At other clubs limits have been brought in to say that the maximum handicap a player can play off in a competition is 28. Those with handicaps of more than 28 (the system now allows for indexes up to 54 for both men and women) are still allowed to play but can only receive 28 shots." 

I wasn't aware that this was happening.

Also the 54% having less than 20 cards is a surprise.

The GI spokesperson seems to be delivering the message "The system is fine. Any issues should be handled by the handicap committees"

The handicap limit of 28 applied by some clubs doesn't indicate a problem. It indicates they believe there to be one, but that problem could be that they don't feel handicaps higher than 28 should win comps at all. Which is fundamentally disagreeing with the system, as opposed to thinking it's not working properly.

I'd heard that a huge portion didn't have 20 cards alright. I'm surprised that it's quite as high as that, although I'm not sure what I would have guessed. I think that's worth addressing - probably with clubs requiring a minimum number of comps to be eligible to win a comp or something. But that's hardly a problem as a result of the new system is it? People have more opportunity to put in cards now. The difference is that in the past people would be given a handicap to make sure they don't win a prize while they're learning to play to it. Whereas now as they improve they'll be able to compete.

But the actual bandits are not the really high handicap guys. It's the guys with acceptable handicaps that should be far lower. That's my impression, no-one has the data to actually know at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I was listening to the Paddy Talks Golf podcast recently and he had an episode on WHS.

One of the answers he got from them was that the issues are mainly as a result of most people not having 20 cards in yet and therefore not having a "fully developed handicap."

Apparently once the majority of golfers have submitted all 20 cards, things will level out a bit more.

There will always be a cohort with less than 20 cards. How likely are they to win a comp and how likely is a guy with 20 cards submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spuddy4711

The same article mentioned that only 5% of scores submitted here were from general play, whereas in the USA, there was a more

balanced mix of scores, between competition and general play rounds. It seemed to indicate that the WHS system was designed

to work best on a mix of the two.

Twenty cards can go back more than a year. So that cohort should drop as time goes on. The current cohort that has less than 20 are pretty much new handicaps. There are the odd ones who only play four or five comps a year, but that's a rare beast and by definition won't be winning many comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

• Advertisement

Oh I know. Mine go back to Jan 20. They might get to the two years.

But you'll always have beginners and people coming back to the game. Not as many as now, but it's not a problem that will go away.

Advertisement