Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling hue smart plugs when away from home?

Options
  • 01-11-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

A couple of questions regarding phillips hue smart plugs?

Can they be turned on/off when your not connected to the home wifi?

if yes to the above question I assume you need the bridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

There is a Bluetooth version available, controlled from an app. No bridge required.

However, this only works locally. For remote operation a bridge and Internet is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭peter_h1979

Ok thanks. Can you use Bluetooth to configure the plug to turn on and off at certain times when your not at home (like a timer switch)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Short answer, you need Internet and a bridge for what you want to do. (I don't have Hue Plugs, but expect them to work in a similar manner to Hue Bulbs. The bulbs have settings, brightness and colour, that can be controlled via routines. However, the routines are stored in the Bluetooth device or bridge. However, if using an app to control the lights the device (e.g. phone) has to be nearby as Bluetooth has a limited range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I wouldn't bother with the hue plugs, they are too expensive for what they are if you don't already have a bridge. Just get a normal smart plug, almost all of them are remotely accessible.

Advertisement