Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,253 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Our attack isn't going to improve with Catt in situ, that's the harsh reality. There's been zero indication that would suggest an upward arc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's up to Farrell to be ruthless and make a change in his coaching team.

Eddie Jones does it regularly.

Pivac got rid of his defence coach who he brought with him from the Scarlets.

Farrell already did it bringing POC in and the improvement was evident.

I know Catt is his mate and they worked together before but his record with England and Italy is poor and our attack has gone nowhere in his 2 years here.

I said back in 2020 that he missed a trick not brining Lancaster in. I understand that the dynamic there may be an issue but it's up to Farrell to make a smart recruitments to his coaching team because the buck stops with him. Nigel Carolan would have been a shrewd appointment too. Mike Predergast possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

I think we don't get a lot of back trys largely to gameplay but also we don't have the personal. There's no one out wide that will create something out of nothing against the top teams. Lowe possibly but then we are taking a risk because of his defense. Stockdale looked like he was the answer early days but has struggled lately. It'll be worth trying Rob B as he looks like he has all the tools.

Strongly disagree.

Scotland don't posses attacking talent that we don't.

They are however, well coached by Townsend with structures and attacking patterns to allow them to utilise their skill and pace to create overlaps and break down defences.

Having gamebreakers alone isn't enough. They need to get the ball in space. If Hogg and VDM played for us they'd look average and wouldn't have been picked for the Lions.

Put James Lowe on the Scotland team and he'd have been in South Africa last summer.

Hogg can create something out of nothing and regularly does. VDM might not be everyone's cup of tea but he's an absolute brute ball in hand(defensive shaky though).

While it's largely tactics it's still telling we haven't had a Lions winger since the Aus tour. I don't think it's a weakness position for us but definitely not a area of strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

How we score tries is only reflective of how we are able to generate those opportunities. If our attacking game as a whole isn’t working then we are going to struggle to generate opportunities in open play. And that will hamper our backs ability to score tries. That means we are more likely to be reliant on set piece like line out, which would likely mean more reliance on kicking for territory that we can’t win in open play, be that through kicking in open play or from penalties etc. That means forwards scoring more tries.

We don’t “favour” our forwards scoring tries like that. We are reliant on it because of issues elsewhere in our game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

In the Chicago game we racked up a score without playing a particularly expansive game. Stander's try came off a break in their 22 but we still scored from about 2 metres out. We had two trys which came from mauls and we had the winning try which came off the back of the scrum. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see us play a bit bit more out wide. Unfortunately I don't think we have the midfield to facilitate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We're averaging about 33 points per match so far in 2021 (27 points if you take the USA match out of the equation) so we are hardly toothless in attack. That's without an all signing and all dancing backline (we don't have one at the moment). I don't think we're that far away at all to be honest.

Hogg can create something out of nothing and regularly does.

Yes but so can Henshaw, Ringrose, Stockdale, Earls and Lowe.

The difference is that Hogg plays in a team that accentuates his attacking abilities.

We do have gamebreakers. The problem is we have a dysfunctional attack that doesn't utilise their abilities.

I tend to not use Lions selection as a barometer of a player's ability because form generally comes into it and thus the year the tour falls on can mean a world class player may not get picked.

For example if there was a tour in 2018, Stockdale and Earls would obviously have been on it. Are Tommy Seymour and Jack Nowell really better than those 2 guys because they have a Lions tour to their name? Nah.

Does VDM going on a Lions tour make him a better player than Stockdale or Lowe? I personally don't think so.

Yes but so can Henshaw, Ringrose, Stockdale, Earls and Lowe.

They all can but don't do it that often in green(Henshaw aside but that's from centre).

Again largely down to tactics but wide recently is not where our strengths in the team are(attacking wise). Could change and hopefully will as competition is getting better

• Advertisement

Wait, Scotland are a well coached team? Really? They managed 3rd in the 6Ns on Townsends first championship. Since then it’s been 5th, 4th and 4th. In those Championships they have been joint highest try scorers twice. But they’ve also been second lowest twice.

I’m getting so confused with all these cases of comparing Ireland to teams that Ireland has been consistently better than for ages. I couldn’t care if Scotland’s backs scored 27 more tries than ours in the 2022 6Ns as long as we come higher than them in the table.

If we can get more players on the ball, more often and add at least 1 more playmaker to our back line we will massively improve our attacking game by default. We are getting there, with the likes of moving Porter over to LH, Kelleher coming in, Beirne, a back row that has loads of options etc. We just need to push on with those now.

I’m getting so confused with all these cases of comparing Ireland to teams that Ireland has been consistently better than for ages.

I'm not comparing us to Scotland. I'm comparing our coaches to theirs. If we had Townsend coaching our attack instead of Catt we'd be a much better team. Surely you agree?

Scotland's finishes are down to the fact that bar Italy, they have the worst players. Us, France, England and Wales just have better players than them, that's why they finish where they do. The fact that they regularly come 4th and 3rd is actually impressive as they should really be 5th based on talent.

They don’t regularly finish 3rd and 4th. They’ve come 3rd twice in the last 10 years, the same number of times they have come last in that time. They are generally 4th or 5th. Which is about where they should be based on talent.

If Townsend was coaching us he’d utilise our players differently because we are a different team. We don’t have a game breaker like Hogg for example. We also have a much better pack. I’ve no idea how you can assert with any certainty that Townsend would make us a better attacking force. I haven’t a clue if he would at all tbh because I haven’t seen him with resources comparable to ours.

Ah here, you seriously don't think Townsend would do a better job as our attack coach than Mike Catt? He won a Pro12 with Glasgow playing scintillating rugby and he's done a pretty good job with Scotland who also play great rugby and has gotten some brilliant results with them.

We don't have one sole game breaker but we have a much better set of backs than Scotland. Townsend would undoubtably get a better tune out of them than Catt has.

Where do you think Catt was on Gatland's shortlist for attack coach in the summer? I'd be surprised if he was even on it.

Didn't Ian McKinley say they didn't really have any idea what Mike Catt's plan or philosophy was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Mike catt was a very good player. But not a very good coach. If he got cut from the irish gig his buddy got him there there would not be a queue of clubs offering him a position.

A terrible appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’m not sure using the Lions is a favorable example to use for Townsend as an attack coach to be honest.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm sceptical as to how much influence he actually had in that series. Gatland clearly went out to go toe to toe with SA.

We all know what a Townsend attack looks like. We've seen it with Glasgow and Scotland.

I can't believe we're actually debating whether Catt is a better attack coach than Townsend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

‘If James Lowe played for Scotland, he’d have been picked for the Lions’ is quite a leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Scotland have to play it through the backs because their forwards aren't good enough to do anything else.

Plus they have Finn Russell who's totally unsuited to any sort of structured game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We’re not, what we are debating is if you put him in a team with completely different players. Does the outcome remain the same. A lot of the same players were in both teams.

I’m not defending Catt either, not sure if he is totally to blame for our attacking issues. I don’t think he’s helping though.

I stand by that 100%. I think he's a way better rugby player than VDM.

But I only remember us creating one try scoring opportunity for Lowe during the 6 Nations, and it was very close to being a spectacular finish v France.

How many chances do Scotland create for VDM? How many chances does Lowe get at Leinster?

Again, I'm not saying Scotland are better than us or we need to copy Scotland and I know we're better than them at most things. But that doesn't mean that there aren't things Scotland do better than us, and when it comes to attacking, Scotland are miles better than us and the numbers back that up.

And I'm well aware that Lowe is very limited defensively and I wouldn't pick him personally, but there are no denying his attacking abilities. But we aren't able to utilise those abilities.

Naturally, when a teams attack is poor, the focus will be on the attack coach, even if he isn't 100% to blame. And Farrell isn't going anywhere now, so it's up to him to make a change there.

Would it have been any more spectacular a finish than VDM's vs England?

One thing we're definitely better than Scotland at is defence. And unfortunately Lowe got exposed numerous times and made individual errors. He should've done better for each of the Rees-Zammit, Penaud and Huw Jones tries. Possibly the George North and Finn Russell tries also.

Even with Leinster this season, hasn't he also had a bad missed tackle for a Scarlets try?

I know this led from conversation about Ireland's attack, and we didn't get the best out of Lowe in that regards, but that's not the reason he wasn't selected for the Lions.

Lowe does tend to get blame when he doesn’t deserve it too aloooof. He was exposed when playing for Ireland, but that then created a bit of a narrative. The Scarlets try is a perfect example of that.

People say that he made a defensive error that led to their first, but I don’t think he did. We got our numbers and spacing badly wrong. See below 5 on 3. Scarlets pushed across to the short side and we didn’t react. Ringrose had to push up on Williams (12) meaning Scarlets still had 3 men (maybe 2 I suppose as Costelow wasn’t much of a threat) for Lowe to deal with. Lowe decided to try and cut off the outside channel but Ringrose wasn’t able to prevent the offload, which was nicely done.

Lowes defence actually looks to have improved this season. He was quite good there vs Glasgow. But there’s a big step up from that to Test rugby.

I dunno, molloy, I'd like to have seen a wide angle shot of it tbh (the close camera shot makes it more difficult to see) but it looks like Lowe shoots and is then scrambling to recover. The numbers are clearly mismatched, but in that scenario I'd expect the defence to drift (which Ringrose seems to do) and try use the touchline. Instead, Lowe's decision created the dog leg.

It was a brilliant offload, but it left a 2-on-1 for Keenan. If Lowe had drifted, I think it would've been dealt with.

Did you read my post?

I acknowledged that Lowe is a bad defender and said I wouldn't pick him. This isn't me championing Lowe or calling for his inclusion. It's me pointing out how Scotland get the best out of their attacking talent and we don't. But VDM is a renowned poor defender too.

And I know we're better at defence than Scotland. I literally said we're better than them at most things. I'm not advocating for us to copy Scotland.

I don't understand how VDM's try v England is relevant. It was a great finish, he's a very good player. But as a Leinster fan, if you offered me VDM in exchange for Lowe I'd tell you to piss off

My point was, regardless of Lowe's defensive limitations of which we are all well aware, we didn't get anywhere near the best out of his attacking abilities.

"Did you read my post?"

FFS.... that's me out.

I think Molony was too tight to the ruck tbh. He couldn’t cover Williams and so Ringrose had to commit there. Drifting wasn’t really and option for him, even though he sort of did anyway. He makes a half tackle on Williams but it doesn’t stick. I can’t see him being able to push off that tbh. And with Costelow out the back and both Nichol and McNicholl outside I don’t see any win there for Lowe no matter what he does. If anything, had Ringrose committed fully to Williams then it may have worked. Keenan could have covered if they had drifted but I’d back Scarlets to score in those positions either way tbh. They’re too good at those.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If he stays put he has a 2 on 1 himself though? Ringrose is taking the guy with the ball as he should, there is 1 James Lowe and 2 other Scarlets players in shot. AND there is another Scarlets player outside of those two who isn't it shot, the #14, so it's him vs 3 Scarlets players.

Point was made above, other players don't get this level of micro-analysis, we'd say he was outnumbered and it was a lovely bit of play from the Scarlets. Similarly if it was an Irish player who made the offload we don't say "well actually if the defender had drifted it wasn't on so that doesn't count".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Stockdale would have killed for this level of "micro-analysis" - or indeed, any degree of analysis - of tries conceded when he was involved. The narrative when he was on the pitch, post 2018, was just "he's rubbish, he can't defend". Getting slated for being beaten one on one by Cheslin Kolbe and so on, with zero concern for how well any team played against us or how they created opportunities. People messaging him telling him to kill himself.

The idea that Lowe gets a raw deal in terms of people picking over his defence is nonsense, frankly.

Advertisement