Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yep, great result. Ramsdale turning out to be a great purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Professional display. Capitalised on the Leicester slow start and held firm when Leicester improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Evans should've walked for that last man challenge

Ramsdale and Gabriel were immense

Great win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Delighted with the result! The tenacity and desire to not concede was excellent to see.

Definitely helps having a lot of physicality and mobility across the midfield and defence in games like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

This is the first time I can recall that they’ve capitalised on breaking into the top 6 group , hopefully it continues

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Great win today. Didn't get to see the match as I'm abroad, but delighted to see Arteta get the win over Rodgers.

Delighted to be proven wrong about Ramsdale. He seems to be proving to be shrewd business.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

Think Edu deserves some credit for the recruitment in the summer, under massive pressure and it might be early doors but each signing has made a good start, long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It was one of them tempting faith ones 😂

Super result huge 3 points if we can build on it now

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Most of these are Arteta's wants more so than Edu! Edu wanted Neto over Ramsdale - what a mistake that would have been!

Pretty sure Tomiyasu was all Arteta getting his own way too, Emerson (who went to Spurs) was supposed to be Edu's #1 play for right back.

• Advertisement

The draws with Palace and Brighton dont seem so bad now!

Having missed the start (presumably when we played best) a lot of the match wasn't much different to when we get a hammering. But if we can get a 2 goal lead in the first 20 minutes of every match going forward I'd be happy enough. :P

Ramsdale outstanding. Whole team had the bit of pep and just getting there in time which usually is our problem. 3 points opening night and we'd be sitting fairly different now. :P

Hopefully we can push on and have something to build on next season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Since the 3 initial games that we lost this for me was our biggest challenge and we’ve come through it. I’m delighted.

Leicester are a good team. Arteta had a plan today which was to press high and attack from the start. This is the best way to approach games. The team looked balanced and the effort was excellent. Maybe now Arteta has discovered our best eleven.

Watford at home next, great chance to push again and then go have a pop at Liverpool, then Newcastle at hime

7pts from that would be cracking

There's little point in setting ourselves up for a hammering against Liverpool. CL has to be the aim for next season and if we're gonna be in it then we need to practice realistic tactics against teams at and above where we are/should be. Going gung-ho and losing doesn't achieve anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In fairness to Arteta, he's gotten some good results against the top teams, precisely by playing as you suggest, play ultra defensive and hit them on the counter.

Don't care how we do it really, but I'd love a string of victories now, it'd really change the complexion of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Delighted after another win, which we dominated for the first half. Second half was a bit more ropey but some great goalkeeping and defending and a cleansheet at the end of the day away is nothing to turn your nose up at. Need to get a consistent run together, I think if the lads stay fit and we keep playing the way we have the last couple of games its definitely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Nuno sacked by the spuds with Conte lined up to replace him. No messing around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Utd fans will be seething, its only a matter of time before Ole gets the boot and Conte was a perfect replacement for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

Didn't Conte turn them down in the summer because he wouldn't be given enough cash to spend? Maybe they've found some funds (sell Kane?)

• Advertisement

Advanced talks apparently. With Levy, it could all still fall apart, I'm sure that phrase was used with lots of the managers they tried to appoint this Summer prior to getting Nuno. Many a slip between the cup and the lip. That could have been invented for Levy!

Emery could be on his way back to the Premier league if Twitter is any indication...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You lads play Watford the weekend & Liverpool play West ham ,So going into that Liverpool game you could possibly be in a position to over take us with a win

Football can change awfully quick ,

I think he's a decent manager, in Spain anyway! Not quite sure how it didn't quite work out for him here but at Sevilla and Villareal in particular, his record is excellent. Could work for him in Newcastle

I'd like it to work out for him. Seems a nice man and passionate. Didnt work out for us but I detested that good ebening stuff. Really hated it . It was verging on some kind of bullying I think to be honest.

Post edited by Azatadine on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Communication seemed to be the major issue at Arsenal. If he was to come back I really hope he’s been working on his English. I think he’s a good manager and did very well with Villareal last season. I’d wish him all the best, it just wasn’t a good fit at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Emery is a top manager but he inherited a squad full of subpar players several of whom had toxic attitudes (hello Ozil). Once the players down tools on you like they did with him, you're done, doesn't matter how good a manager you are.

Add to that the fact that he is a coach who is absolutely obsessed with being in control of every fine little detail but could not speak the language well at all. That is a recipe for failure in itself.

As above I hope he has improved his English as I do rate him as a manager, although I don't particularly want to see a Saudi regime led Newcastle do well. Willock will be happy I guess as Emery always rated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Maybe he can convince the Sheiks to stump up 35m for Pepe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That was incredibly disrespectful. Typical of the UK media though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Very hard to manage with cancers attitude and a lot of sub standard players in the squad. The difference now with a lot shipped out of the team and a few more to get rid of in January hopefully.

Just sayin'.

Ramsdale's been looking good after a fairly rocky start. Still not delighted with how just about every match he very nearly gets caught on the ball. Can only think of one where he looked at fault in fairness to him. Plenty of the season to come and I'll be delighted to be proven wrong about him.

Not a good sign for Newcastle as Emery felt the new Magpies ownership lacked a clear vision for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

So are the ones who have been harsh on Arteta having a change of heart or still thinking he isn't the man for the job??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm certainly enjoying this run a whole lot.

I admit I was dismissive of Brighton when we drew with them, was just fed up that day.

But all going well now, lots of reason to be excited, bring on the next game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

It's a form to discuss arsenal, what do u want to talk about the weather 🤣 sometimes this place makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don’t think I’ve ever been harsh on him personally. After the Palace game I’d had enough as I’d only seen one good performance all season and was fully convinced Villa and Leicester would pile on the pain. I thought his cards might have been marked

I feel a lot more positive about everything right now but the next 12 games will make or break him in my eyes. If they’re still in or around the European spots after Spurs away on Jan 15th then I’ll be very very happy

I still don’t think he is the right man. We have got a couple of good results and performances the one at the weekend and Spurs by far the two good games.

Big chance to push on the weekend. I don’t think I’m harsh on Arteta, I think he’s doing his best, I just think a club like us needs a coach who is ready now we can’t afford to providing internships… he’ll be there 2 years soon let’s see where he is then

That said most of us couldn’t give a monkeys who’s in charge as long as we win… I’ve liked all our managers and want them to do well with and after Arsenal except George Graham when he went to Spurs…. I’d love Arteta to be the next Pep, succeeds and if he does I’ll be amazed but first to put my hands up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree. Think after the christmas programme of fixtures will tell us if we're genuinely improved and capable of pushing upwards or if this is another false dawn. Must say I've enjoyed the last couple of games too though. We certainly look far more solid defensively & the entire team & coaching staff deserve credit for that.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Important to note that bar the Leicester game, the fixtures have been pretty kind recently. Having seen the games I get a sense that its the players individual performances, especially the new guys, getting the results. In terms of a system, or some sort of flowing football up front, little progress has been made.

Happy to see Arteta make it as he seems a likeable character with a clean image for the club. Will be very telling how much progress has been made once we start coming up against the heavy weights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

January is going to be the big test for us with Auba, Partey and Pepe heading to AFCON we're light enough as it is up top and in midfield with granit out injured

I thought he was the right appointment when it was made but then I did begin to get doubts, and the doubts got bigger and bigger. Faith is slowly being restored. I really hope it can continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’m still doubtful about Arteta.

We have improved a lot of late especially when we start pressing early. There are a few big tests on the way that will make or break Arteta. I would love to see him being successful but I still have doubts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Message from Dublin Arsenal supporters club for those living in Dublin and wanting to watch game with fellow Gooners

🚨UPDATE on Club Gatherings & Ticket Applications🚨

Great News: We have received the green light from River Bar to start having club gatherings again starting this week (2)So starting this Sunday for our game v Watford at 2pm we will be gathering for the game.

There are some rules we do have to adhere to & they are as follows:

Valid Covid Vaccine Passport & ID There can be no more than 10 per table & being members of the club, people can sit together. We will have membership open on Sunday for any members wishing to renew membership for 2021/22 - 30 mins prior to KO & 30 mins after game. Payment options of cash or card accepted.

Can we ask that if you have your cardholder still handy, bring it along for your new membership/bar discount card - thanking you. You can still renew online at any time through our website - www.dublinarsenal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

For me the jury is still out on Arteta. We've had some good results lately but with the exception of the Leicester game all the teams we've beaten have been in terrible form.

3 - 0 down in the 92nd minute and managed to get a draw is hugely impressive!

ARSENAL TEAM NEWS – PARTEY MISSING, MAITLAND-NILES IN

Team to play Watford: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tavares, Lokonga, Maitland-Niles, Smith Rowe, Saka, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Subs: Leno, Tierney, Odegaard, Holding, Soares, Pepe, Elneny, Nketiah, Martinelli. 

Disappointing to see AMN in there with Odegaard on the bench. We should be able to get away with it at home to Watford!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We were poor last time Odegaard started in CM imo. Maitland niles is suited to that role a lot better with his defensive capabilities.

AMN isn’t a great CM, he’s had many goes at it, he’s only okay back up which is what he is today but I’d rather see Odegaard in there. I get your point re Odegaard last time but we’ve seen AMN in there enough times with no real performance

that said I think it’s fine today

• Advertisement
Advertisement