Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

Same here no sign of 2.3 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

The contact email that was included in the update email. It goes to OHs email so I don’t know the address but it’s a WeConnect email.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billydoc

Say if you would like to be as economical as possible driving to squeeze at much range as possible, what’s are the dos and don’ts! And what’s the best range or kWh/100km you ever achieved?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The rules are largely the same as an ICE car, drive slower and try to maintain constant speed as much as possible. Pump up the tyres, drive in warm dry weather to avoid using the heater, try to stick to flat roads, and so forth

I think the furthest anyone has managed is 531km on a single charge

That's pretty exceptional circumstances though, he was driving at 40km/h for most of the journey and drafting behind trucks on motorways to avoid air resistance

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

When referring to kms per charge etc it would help a lot to mention which battery version is being talked about because the range varies quite a lot between the two different batteries available.

• Advertisement

Considering the range available with the 58 and 77 kwh batteries there's probably not much need to worry about efficiency much ?

Driving more economically means driving slower and anticipating the road ahead and lifting off the throttle more than having to use the brakes, even though you are using regen braking it's not as efficient as coasting until you need to actually brake and not driving in a manner that needs much braking be it friction or regen because that's wasting energy, even though regen recaptures some energy you only get a fraction back from which you take out.

D mode is probably going to be more efficient whichever allows more coasting that means no power or regen being used and you're just gliding along on energy already used, then push the throttle for more power when you need it but trick is to do this in a way that means you're not slowing down more than you need to when you lift off the throttle meaning you need more power to get going again and it means letting off the throttle before you come to bends so that you don't have to use the brakes.

But I think most of the time you won't have to worry about efficiency with so much range.

I fixed the Android Auto issue, Tune in and Spotify were giving me errors when trying to open the apps from the infotainment screen and after some research I discovered that clearing the app cache can fix it so I cleared that but I also discovered that "open Automatically" for Tune in and Spotify was not enables so I enabled this and it's all working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Yesterday I got a message none of the Assistance stuff was working. Had no lane assist and speed sign recognition etc which was a bit annoying. I decided to do the update which was pending anyway.

That cleared the issues ok. However in a totally unrelated issue, my middle seatbelt in the back will now not click and stay shut, rendering it useless.

Also, on the M4 on the inside lane at 120, the car read the speed sign for the off ramp and suddenly slowed down - causing me to have to override with the accelerator but before I had noticed the person behind me also had to slam on the brakes and was less than complimentary when they overtook me - this is dangerous I think and is defo an issue. Another driver might well have panicked and hit the brakes further exacerbating the ( non ) issue.

Saw the battery inlet temp this morning at 25 Deg C, ambient temp was 6 Deg C, not long after turning on the car when the battery heater switched off at between 12-14 C battery temp.

I'm thinking now that the battery heater kicks in as soon as the car pre heats because it seemed to switch off really soon after driving off. But, no problem with 77 Kwh of storage, got to work with 22% had around 44% when I got in which isn't bad considering I was doing 120-110 most of the way to Blanch, 85 Kms 19.5 Kwh/100 Km by the time I got to work, cabin temp set to 23 Deg C.

Still a pity there is no way to turn on the battery heater before fast charging but I'm assuming that the battery heater will turn on when it detects it's fast charging but still, it would be nice to have the option to preheat the battery when away from home and need to fast charge as quick as possible before you actually arrive at the fast charger and have to then wait for it to warm up the battery, that's if it actually warms the battery when plugged into a fast charger but one thing for sure, 12-14 deg C is far from optimal for fast charging.

Is it a big deal ? probably not for most of us for 99% of the time especially in Winter when we probably won't be away from home much.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

This has happened to me on a couple of particular junctions where it reads ad reacts to a 50kph sign while doing 120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

ML. Where are you accessing the data about battery temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Random question from a relative newbie: how credible is this publication / website?

They seem to quote a German source (Auto Bild) that VW Passenger Cars’ boss Ralf Brandstätte says the infotainment system in newer id3s built from November will have a larger, 12-inch infotainment system with illuminated sliders.

If true, I won't mind the extra wait for mine to arrive (build week 49)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'm thinking now that the battery heater kicks in as soon as the car pre heats

That is well documented. Cabin pre-heating starts battery heater (if required).

The main issue with battery heating up to now is that it was also coming on as soon as you started the car, even for short journeys, and eating into range. It looks like they made changes in that area with one of the recent updates.

I wouldn’t think the changes will happen that quickly. But you never know I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thank you for this. Thought I had tried everything to remedy this as it was a right pain in the #*!! Had been launching the apps on the phone when it was connected to the car to have them accessible on the infotainment system, Tidal, Pocket Casts also had the same problem. On my Android 11 Poco the tick box is 'Autostart' for anybody else looking.

I wouldn't say VW fixed anything in relation to battery heating I'd say it still activates if the car isn't pre-heated when it's first turned on, it will probably still come on to keep the battery warm enough for max acceleration and regen but I can try this out maybe in the morning. But I think the battery heater will still come on no matter what to get to 12-14 Deg C.

Speaking of Regen, I detected 70 Kw regen today on one of my commutes while slowing down, it might be higher but had to keep eye on the road but even 70 Kw is not too shabby.

Could be true but not really fair on those who purchased already to change things so soon lol but in fairness the screen is big enough for me, lit sliders would help lol.

Works best on Android of course but if you get EV Notify on the App store and this OBD II adapter. You can find out what's going on with battery heating, power in Kw and Regen in Kw.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BPC179W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Has happened to me loads that the car suddenly breaks for signage on side roads. Happens so often now in certain places I'm prepared for it happening. Have 18k/kms on the car since May so getting well used to the quirks.

As for the lane assist failures, driver aid failures sometimes you need to give the black bar just above the number plate a clean as that's where the radar is contained.

• Advertisement

Ralf Brandstätter hat der AutoBild einige Dinge verraten:

„Ab Ende November neue Ausstattungslinien, 12 Zoll statt 10 Zoll-Bildschirm, beleuchtete Slider, bessere Stoffe, Türinnenflächen mit Alcantara bespannt.

12 inch instead of 10 inch screen. illuminated sliders, better materials, door surfaces featuring Alcantara.

I'd still recommend everyone to wait for the Megane E-tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

Anyone know regarding the PCP on id3, when you go to the calculator on the website, it does it without any of the grants taken into account.. is this correct, or do you still get the grants when using pcp? Thanks!

I wouldnt say fixed either but they have changed it.

Based on how it was behaving last winter it seems less inclined to come on now and the last few days have been down to 5°C.

Last winter I would have seen it pulling 9kW when I turned it on! Didnt see that this morning although that might have been down to the 6hrs of AC charging too.

More testing required I think but the cabin pre-heating does heat the battery which is exactly what you would want to happen.

cabin heating the battery ? the power all comes from the battery anyway not sure it would be more efficient ? but can see on a day where it's sunny warming up the cabin where this could be cycled to the battery, not sure.

The battery heating doesnt come from the cabin but by starting the cabin pre-heating it causes the battery to be heated too as far as I can tell anyway.

If the car is plugged in, then it means you are not losing range as a result as the energy will be replaced by pulling from the grid. So, its not more efficient but it does affect range and influences charging speed if you get to a DC later in the day.

Oh yeah sure plugging into the mains helps range but doubt for most of us it would matter if plugged into the mains or not because both 58 and 77 Kwh offer decent range.

dont bother with it! Email the dealers individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Nice upgrades for prospective buyers if they come in without a price increase. The larger screen would be of no benefit to me but trim upgrades would be welcome given the price point of the car. Most of the reviews highlighted the lack of soft touch surfaces on the door cards and VW should have got this right first time. Still, perfectly happy with my MY2021 car and would be more interested in increased functionality via the app for all models down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

First VW ID car I've seen on the Supercharger since yesterdays announcement...

• Advertisement

Yep I'm also happy with my 2021, VW need to be careful though not to change the id3 enough to cause heavy deprecation.

Larger screen would be of no benefit to me either. I either have google maps up all the time for traffic or radio on/Spotify or tunein/ Podcasts lol, think the screen is big enough for all this.

Advertisement