Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

You do realise it's possible for a person to be from Ireland and disagree with you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I do think she has raised some valid points in relation to not checking incoming passengers data and antigen testing amongst others to be honest

At this point it’s all just Covid theatre in full swing. You’d have to be the slow kid in class if you think sticking a mask on while you run the toilet is going to eradicate a respiratory illness.

Or that a Covid pass will achieve anything while vaccinated can still get sick.

Or that limited numbers standing at a gig is going to stop the virus.

This is all just moronic nonsense at this point. Sadly though, I think some of it will end up permanent to placate the permanently terrified.

Apparently it's just for a while longer. Or another I've read is for as long as it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Slow kid here,

A decent properly fitting mask will reduce the amount of virus you take in. Also worn by others infected will reduce the amount spread by them. Vaccinated far less lightly to get seriously ill or die. Crowding together is more likely to spraed the virus. Some measures may stay at least untill Delta burns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

At this point, you should have your own YouTube channel. And tell everything about moronic nonsense to all your followers.

For some reason, I think permanently terrified fits you perfectly 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . People do, every day . And people don't . I don't mind as long as it is civil .

My issue is with people who don't live here, or work here and don't know anything about the country except in general terms , posting about the Irish situation here . Sometimes these are not even people .

I have no issue with Irish people who live abroad or posters who are not Irish but live and work here , people who all have skin in the game,so to speak.

And before anyone shouts" paranoia " there were a lot of anti everything posts stoking anarchy on all forms of social media in Ireland , just couple of years ago . And they weren't coming from Ireland .

Maybe . Haven't read any more stuff from her , probably won't again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

That’s not basic hygiene, it’s OCD.

Covid isn’t spread by touching things, you know you’re not doing your immune system any good by constantly sanitising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Hospitals up to 508 tonight from 500 this morning. ICU up one to 93 from last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ah lads, Richard Chambers has released a book. The lad actually thinks he's a journalist/writer? All he does it repeat what he's told.

I saw some clown on Twitter today tagging him and Gavan Reilly saying they're top class journalists and better than any BBC journo. They're not journos ffs!

"The story of Irelands covid crisis" is how he describes the book...it's not even over! But I suppose he's gotta release it before any other reporter like Fergal Bowers or Zara King releases one.

He was probably egged on by his fool of a girlfriend, Louise O'Neill.

Reilly and Chambers are so far up their own holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I can't get my head around why anyone would want to read a book like that while the pandemic is still ongoing.

Years later fair enough, although I still wouldn't want to read anything about it ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A mask for the walk across the pub to the bathroom after not having a mask on in the pub for the last 4 hours is beyond theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The cowardly irish love their theatre, they have embraced this new normal and it is now here to stay. Restricting society is now a tool to be used and it will be used.

People talk about the lack of opposition in this country. Politics is a reflection of the people, if there was political capital to be made in opposing this inane theatre then somebody would do it, but the fact that is the Irish love this **** and so the vast majority of politicians are going to play along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

I would suggest we are number one in terms of our mass fear, hysteria, length of lockdowns/restrictions and myopic response with no reasonable questioning of it. What kind of a mess have we coming down the line that we will all have to pay for!

Michael Martin was quick to jump to using the Bloomberg covid 19 resilience ranking on his tweet praising the government response!

This has caused such a division. I nearly had a row with a neighbor of mine who believes we shouldn`t have opened at all and lockdown further. That's the mass psychosis we are dealing with. MSM have a lot to answer for including Pat Kenny with his bile about non vaccinated people leaving their homes! Disgraceful, some people are brainwashed by hysteria and fear in this country, in turn projecting their fears onto everyone else and expect us to live under their solutions to suppress their fears. Some could take years to recover from this. Now we have MSM pushing the climate agenda again. We have a **** decade ahead unless something puts a stop to it.

Everyone is burnt from this, we have done as much as we can with the great volume of vaccinations provided here yet how some are behaving likes its March 2020. Time to live and call a halt to this insanity before it drives us all insane!

Officially over 5 million dead now 😔

Also I hope Chamber's book tanks and sells nothing, I'm fairly sure it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Are we there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

How many of those would be dead now anyway?

How many more would be dead if we didn't wear a mask under our nose going to the toilet down the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

These rules around contact tracing are a bit mad.

Close family member in another household got tested on 29th Oct. Results came back late on 30th. My 11month old and I were a close contact, both not showing symptoms. As she was not vaccinated (I am), she got a PCR test we booked ourselves yesterday. Result this morning is positive for her.

Based on the current rules, I don't need to restrict movements as I'm vaccinated with no symptoms, but I am highly likely to catch the virus. I have not yet been contacted by any contact tracers from my close family member. I also cannot technically book a test online, because when I tick the box "Are you in a household with someone who cannot self isolate" it says I'm not eligible to book online and have to wait for a contact tracer.

Surely I should be able to get a test! Myself and my wife will likely have it. Are they trying to mask the numbers?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just book the test. They’re not going to arrest ya. Book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I know it's the indo so it's automatically going to be inflammatory, but is the reason we haven't purchased any because the EMA is still doing a review of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I find the attitude of some people to be very strange.

Last year we had 0 vaccines and yet people went out and lived their lives, went to restaurants, events, pubs etc.

I saw a tweet from some woman who was a food critic who said she left mid meal last week because she didn't feel safe. It's weird. 90+% of people are vaccinated. If she doesn't feel safe now then she must have welded her doors shut last year and never went to a shop or anything.

It's a common theme I've seen. It makes me think how these people lived before the vaccine. It's like people's risk tolerance is far less than when there was no vaccine. I know people who went about their lives last year pre vaccine, yet let's say if the vaccine magically disappeared tomorrow they'd be into a higher level fear than any other stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

That same food critic was eating in a London restaurant 2 days ago where there is no masks, no vaccine certs, no social distancing..

Yes, you are right, nyero. Really should wear those masks properly, and wash their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You need to be a bit more precise than "last year". Through Aug and Sep 2020 we had under 50 people in hospital with covid.

Exactly 12 months ago the number of cases in hospital was around the same as now, so on a crude basis the overall risk of being in hospital is about the same - we have vaccines but more freedom (both legally and in terms of how people are living) and a much more infectious variant.

If you don't have symptoms get on with your life and don't be worried about it.

If people keep going for tests when they don't need to then it keeps feeding the media frenzy.

People need to move on.

Read today that women screened by cervical check fell by 60,000 last year.

Keep wearing those masks when you go the toilet and save lives…

Fact is people are playing along with covid theatre by wearing a poorly fitted mask to the toilet, they won't be wearing them properly after 10 pints.

How many lives do you honestly think will be saved this winter by people wearing poorly fitting masks for the 2 minutes they spend in the toilet every hour down the bust pub?

I'd wager a big fat ZERO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We'll probably wait for something a little more concrete before pressing ahead. Chances are that we'll row in with any advance purchase scheme negotiated by the EU.

The EU have stated that they will now only engage in negotiations for new treatments once it has entered review, and this one only started a week ago.

Like you say, it's mostly the Indo rabble rousing. The treatment won't be available anywhere for a few months, and we can see by the relatively small volumes being purchased by different countries that it likely won't be the big supply struggle that the vaccines were. We'll likely only need to 50k doses or less.

Advertisement