Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Fair play to him. He's been a good signing for us and wish him the best in Brive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think there will be more players leaving. Leinster will surely lose some as the game time has diminished for some lads. Arnold is a good player and he's looking out for his future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Is the reduction in number or matches a 1 year thing? Will the number of matches increase next year when h Cup expands?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

A 3 year deal is good going. Highly unlikely to get that from Connacht. Might have got 2 years max. Maybe even only a 1 year extension. Good solid player but replaceable.

Bundee's next contract will be interesting. Easy to forget but he's 31 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Would much rather have kept Arnold and let Robb go! Can't see Robb getting new contract!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Arnold has been a good squad player but is not irreplaceable, I think we'll be able to promote Shane Jennings without too much of a blow to our depth. Obviously Jennings isn't at Arnold's level yet but he's better with ball in hand and probably has a higher ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I also wonder if Connacht can benefit from the new calendar in the long term?

One thing that has come up in analysis of the Irish squad is that a lot of players are going in undercooked through lack of game time. In squads like Leinster, you basically had your Pro14 squad (Ross Byrne etc.) and your Hcup squad (Sexton etc.). With less games, players need to play more URC games and squads could get smaller. There are plenty of squad players who would only play during the internationals, but now it will be very hard to keep them happy.

With Leinster and Munster trimming down their squads, I wonder will Connacht become a more attractive option for players looking to get Irish caps?

100% I think it will.

It will have to have an impact on fringe players at leinster.

Serious competition at hooker.

In the back row I'm sure there are players with international ambitions who might need to move.

Any young centre could be behind henshaw and ringrose for a number of years with a lack of game time to try and impress.

Even at 10. A younger player like hawkshaw, Tector or Tim Corkery could need to move to get an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can see Dooley looking for a new team. One of the back rows might jump to another province. There's a lot of good players not getting minutes.

Personally, I would go the same route as Arnold. A 3yr deal! Possibly more money!

In fairness to Arnold he did the right thing. Moved around the provinces to try and enhance his irish opportunity by getting minutes and now at 25 he is moving abroad on a 3 year contract. More power to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Bundee's next contract will be interesting. Easy to forget but he's 31 now.

Bundee has an IRFU contract through to 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Arnold is not better than Robb IMO, not better defender, and his steps/strenght are not impressive for 13

Jennings will burst into the squad there with Farrell/Bolton

Aki/Daly/Robb (or Forde) for 13

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mack Hansen called in to train with the Irish squad. Interesting. Would give him game time ahead of Zebo anyway.

Wow was right to remember he'is IQ one week ago but that's a great surprise it comes so early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

He's a potentially very special player. A lot more confident in the air and a bit more about him defensively than Wooton (whom I rate a lot). He has that Kolbe "sneak past you in a telephone box" brain too.

Delighted for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Delighted for him. From what we've seen so far he has a very high ceiling and while he's shown brilliant attacking flare he's also been excellent defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I'm personally shocked a selection based on form was allowed to happen

/Sarcasm

It's not about form. Hansen is on the Irish radar for at least 5 weeks. And played more than 10 minutes in Australia since January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Former Connacht man Colby Fainga'a has been called up the Wallaby squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Cracking player. I hope he gets a few caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Anyone having trouble with renewing their season ticket? I have two tickets on my account but was only able to renew one. When I logged back in to renew the second it already said I had an order made and I couldn’t renew the second. Also, and this is less of an issue, the ST was €200 plus charges rather than €195 as it is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

See Greg McGrath started for Lansdowne in their win over Clontarf.

Anyone know which other members of the Connacht squad were playing AIL this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tuzer

Mc grath got the try not dooley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

For those like myself who weren't aware, is this (playing AIL) something that happens regularly when there is a provincial break? Good idea to get the squad some game time, even if it is amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Conor15th

Mack Hansen must be back with Connacht this week, not named on squad list in the squad update today

I think it will become a lot more common this season with the new structure. There's not many (if any) provincial matches during international windows this season. Hence our 4 week break. Ben Healy and Jack Crowley were playing for their clubs in Munster last week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

At different stages of the season its more common and in past seasons it happened more

Describing AIL as just amateur is doing the club game especially division 1 a big disservice and you should try get to a game or join a club if not a member and check it out. standard will surprise you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Actually, no disrepect to the AIL at all - I meant amateur in the sense of being unpaid (and I did not use the word "just"). That comes with it, by definition, a lower standard than the professional level. But I think it's great that it is an option for current non-match-playing professionals, and also that it allows people who may have been overlooked previously to come into the professional game.

So it's good that these players are getting game time - albeit at a lower standard than the professional level.

Advertisement