Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you take out the base effect we have only seen 2.6% inflation over the previous 2 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

unlike the Fed and BoE, the ECB can’t afford to raise rates because of the massive indebtedness of some member states.

The Euro will have its 20th birthday soon, I would guess it wont make it to 30. I only have USD/GBP/CHF savings accounts now and will transfer back if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Someone needs to start making a list of the outlandish predictions on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The US and the UK have have debt issues as well. Inflation is a lot better than deflation. Be careful what you wish for regarding the euro. I think you totally off the ball regarding the euro. It is now a solid currency. There is danger you may see a few countries leave the EU however after the UK that gra seems to be gone.

On inflation it is the friend if the property owner and buyer. Inflation will increase wages. Most buyers are going for 5 year fixed at minimum. A 5 year fixed on a 300k loan is around 1100-1150/ month at present. If at the end of the 5 years if fixed rates rose to 4% the repayments would be about 1340/ month.

For that to happen you need a continuous inflation rate of 3% wages would rise by 10% at least if that happens. That 8k in extra pre tax income for a couple on 80k and that is not allowing for any wage rise due to either increment in the PS or natural wage rises that may happen anyway by modern job movement in the private sector.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

German inflation is over 5% with industrial unrest threatened.

I'm making assumptions here, but Germany would not be in favour of EU monetary policy over the last decade. They probably kept there disapproval under wraps while inflation was kept in check.

This will be an issue in the future I suspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Hi. Im after opinion on my strategy

I will be putting my home which I bought in 2007 up for sale in the next couple of weeks.

I want to move the family west or the midlands where I can have a big home and maybe a bit of land for my children to possibly build on in the future. And a very small mortgage.

With my long overdue equity build up, and the the current house prices in the east, I should walk away from the sale with 150k in my pocket.

But without a property.

We intend to rent in the midlands and continue to work in Dublin, and wait out the current high price boom.

We have all seen collapse in the recent past. Albeit with different economic reasons . But it cant really continue like this forever.

Im looking at 1.5 to 2 hour commute daily and child care till an alternative is found in my new setting.

We are trying to look at the bigger picture of what we want to achieve in our life. And I am witnessing alot of landlords sell up now in an attempt to catch the tip of the wave.

Big question is, When do you predict a fall in property prices.. Should I buy now? Or rent and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

What you expect from the fall? When the fall happens it may still be above current price in its nominal value. My advice don't bet on predicting which way property price goes, if its your primary home.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

What’s your commute now? If diesel goes to €3 a litre in the next ten years would that make a 45x2 commute less attractive?

I know many posters will consider this outrageous but we are in the “just the tip” phase of carbon taxes meeting Irish society (national herd etc) and even though the Greens will be unceremoniously turfed out at the next election, the carbon considerations they brought to Gov will necessarily stay.

If commuters are ever asked to pay there fair share of carbon taxes, they are getting the full shaft, not just the tip.

Irish people are road warriors and love to drive (hence the obesity) but I really think you are swimming against the tide.

Thankfully, travel cost will not be an issue with free travel . But it takes an extra 30 mins compared to a car

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Back in 2002/3 a lad not too far from me sold his house at the edge of the village as a small estate was being build opposite him.

He spend 12 years renting before he managed to build again. If as some predict we are entering an inflationary period I be very slow to do what you intend. You will buy very little with 150k or even sub 350-500k. Remember it immaterial to an investor, he is either walking away with a handsome profit or is escaping a negative equity situation.

Even in a lot of rural Ireland rents are 1k+/month. If you are paying 15k/ year for 5+6 years how will you feel about it. Any fall in 2-5 years time may only bring you back to today's prices.

Too many fail to understand the factors for the 2008-10 crash. People owning multiple properties with 100%+ mortgages, people with proper abroad, a construction industry that was the economy not serving the economy, 70k houses build in one year, developers holding back houses as prices were continually rising. Developers acquiring large land banks and hoarding them for to develop 3-5 years time.

There is no where near them factors at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Do you really want to take yourself and family from a home owning situation to a non home owning situation. Ask the renters, what they think of their current situation

I think you've missed the boat on the bargains further west, not too many left. Waterford and commuting towns around Limerick maybe

Ok. Thanks. Wise advice.

I would have all my eggs in one basket for sure..

Great value is still to be had in the Midlands so we will probably forge ahead and buy something soon after we sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not sure I'd agree with that

Rural locations have only just gotten started in terms of prices ,covid has been a real boost to rural living in terms of renewed appeal

Doubt prices fall

Fair enough summation, but I would look at locations with strong rail links to the capital.

With young kids and daily commute to Dublin. Will you ever see them not to mention getting someone that will cover a day's work and 3 to 4 hour commute in childcare.

You never really value what you have untill you have lost it.

Demand pushed out to more rural locations increases the likelihood of an oversupply as happened after 08

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would not move out myself if I lived in Dublin but sitting things out in the expectation of a price correction is very risky IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Rates will be raised and might be sooner than later... ECB don't care for Eugène who took out 700k mortgage to buy brand new 2 bed in Milltown.

But I also think people financial situations are probably quite resilient to dramatic rate hikes what could follow over coming years...

Its corporate + government debt that is a time bomb.

Edit: https://www.ft.com/content/e8fd411b-6adc-4404-9d72-88fc7f9f475e

Post edited by SmokyMo on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Same thing near where I live.

I believe they are making lots of starts, for the stats and reit and council leases. But dont have the builders to keep all the sites going.

No other reason to be working on a site for a while, closing it down for a couple of months and going back to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'd love a shot of whatever they have when they write these reports, it seems like I'd be buzzing all day with that enthusiasm! The adjectives are immense, though I read the article and see it slightly differently based on how the information is presented; it seems that deals are not actually completed yet and a lot of the activity is just pre-planning and site visits.

The Irish commercial property market has been “phenomenally busy” in the past two months.

The ability of investors and occupiers to travel to undertake property inspections since restrictions were lifted in the summer has been “transformative” for the market.

There has been a “significant uptick” in transactional activity underway in all sectors, both on and off market.

There have been “robust volumes” of activity in the retail property sector of late.

What I see is that there is still significant uncertainty in the commercial sector, with the following parts of the article;

...although CBRE expressed frustration “that negotiations are proving overly protracted in many sectors with transactions taking several months to complete in some cases”.

It claimed therefore that the extent of activity underway “is not fully appreciated” due to the length of time it is taking to translate into completed transactions.

And

There have been “robust volumes” of activity in the retail property sector of late as potential occupiers conduct site visits and inspect available premises searching for the optimum store best suited to their specific requirements.

In recent months, several potential new entrants have conducted site visits intending to open their first Irish stores, which will see new brands “emerging in due course”, the report said.

I won't say too much about the report highlighting the "recovery" in the Irish economy other than to point out that the economy has nothing to recover from so it is false to claim we need to "recover" from the pandemic when there was no fallout...as of yet.

It really does seem that the "transitory" mantra is a dogma in the regulatory bubbles and the ship has already sailed on inflation - the wage increases are only just beginning so there is some road left to run for the current wave of inflation. I mean, how could living costs soar the last 18 months without wages needing to climb up at least some level to match them? Transitory inflation still results in permanent cost of living increases. The wage increases coming will of course feed into higher costs and more inflation. The post-pandemic recovery, when it finally begins without a threat of more restrictions, is going to be a huge test to the Eurozone, especially when the ECB is now between a rock and a hard place where they can't stop QE and raise rates without causing severe trouble for many Eurozone countries but at the same time need to act already to dampen inflation.

Where are you getting 18 months of inflation. There was deflation for 11 months and we have only seen true inflation where prices rose above pre pandemic levels for the past 7 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

This is just me, but I do not see the value in travelling 3-4 hours per day to save money. Assuming you will also be driving, fuel bills will increase substantially from this kind of daily journey. Aside from that though, the fact is that this much time on the road doesn't leave you with much time for your actual family. You'll be gone daily from 7am-7pm, and presumably will be very tired when you get back. Again, just me, but time spent with loved ones seems ultimately more important than a bit of extra money per month or a bigger garden.

The property market has soared during covid restrictions the past 18 months and then other sectors saw costs increase as they reopened. CPI-measured inflation is a scam.

It's not a scam... it is the most accurate way to measure inflation.... What % of the population has purchased property during the last 18 months and have been impacted by property inflation.

It's the same as a smoker saying that the price of cigarettes has increased more than the CPI so its a scam.... but as not all people smoke it has a lower weighting in CPI as it does not impact the majority of people.

The inflation in Ireland has kicked in as lockdowns ended and people went out and started spending savings.... We are in the middle of the economic recovery at present and the next step will be companies missing profitability targets as shortages of goods start to impact on there sales. US is further down the road on the recovery than Europe and their are signs of the US economy beginning to slow and an increase in fear of a double dip recession kicking in.

CPI-measured inflation might paint a picture of what it is intending to show but it does not show the whole picture with respect to the cost of living. I mean, if you believe that the cost of living increases have been below 2% each year for the last few years then I think it is clear that cost of living and inflation are two different things.

It's like how debt:GDP is used to paint a picture which is the opposite of what is seen in reality; government debt has soared since 2008 but by using debt:GDP, it looks like our debt has become more manageable than when it was far lower. Cuckoo stuff.

The net effect is that the man on the street can tell you more about the state of the economy as it impacts the man on the street than officially used metrics can.

The impact of inflation is not the same for all people as people spend money differently.

e.g

If you are a renter and rent is going up 4% per annum then yes you will think that cost of living is increasing but if you are a home owner who has just refixed their mortgage at a lower rate for 5 years and now has lower repayments you would think different.

If you are a smoker or drinker you will think cost of living has gone up due to tax increases etc... but a non-smoker/drinker will not be affected by this.

Saying that the man on the street knows better than the published CPI figure is even misleading as there is a good chance that the man on the street that you are talking to mixes in your social circle and has a similar lifestyle to you due to age, work. interest's etc.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying that there has been no inflation there has and there has been more of it than we have seen for quite a while but the headline figures are based on year on year changes which can be misleading as there was deflation in 2020 which makes the figure look larger as a year on year %. If you compare it to 2019 prices have only risen by 2.7% over a 2 year period.

With regards the government debt... it has in fact become more manageable as a lot of it was refinanced at very low or negative rates.

It's not just renters; anyone who bought in the rising market is experiencing higher mortgage repayments due to extra borrowing needed to buy the more expensive property. Childcare, insurance, housing and energy costs have all soared beyond the headline CPI rate so I question what it is the CPI is measuring that it stutters along below or slightly above 2%? Maybe if you water down or ignore energy, childcare and housing you can claim inflation is low?

On the government debt being manageable point, I really don't see how that is the case. The absolute figure is totally unrepayable and we now only seem to focus on the interest and how manageable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Government debt is manageable until its not. All well and good borrowing loads at 0% until the rates rise and you arent getting 0% anymore.

The thing about CPI is it measures a broad set of goods and services, which is good and bad. It sees the impact of price changes in a number of sectors, but the overall figure can be skewed by a select set of goods. Clothing & Footwear fell almost 8% between December 19 and 20, which was what drove the overall CPI index to decline in 2020. While transport costs may have dropped slightly (less than 1%), in 21 they jumped by much more than that.

Demand for clothes and footwear havent nearly recovered to 2019 levels, but prices for everything else has skyrocketed in that time. While CPI average doesnt look that bad across 2 years, most people would feel things have gotten significantly worse. The squeezed middle might not buy that many clothes, but they would be hit by the significant increases in just about every other sector.

Clothing has fallen another 3% YTD, while transport has jumped 11%. Most people are not rejoicing at the cheap clothing, as the transport and other inflationary costs easily dwarfs the gains in odd sectors like clothing. The average person is much more than 2.5% worse off across the last 2 years.

What % of people have bought a house in the past year that have higher mortgage repayments compared to the majority of home owners who have benefited from lower rates. It is a very small % impacted.

Likewise you talk about childcare costs which I agree are crazy but that again is different for everyone.... someone who has granny or grandad looking after the children does not have creche fees. When my kids were small before going to school childcare costs were crippling us and was our largest expenditure even above rent and the cost of running a car put together.. But now they are in school this has fallen massively and is way more manageable. Yet again how many people as a % of families are needing to pay creche fees.

Your post shows the perception of inflation because it is real to you but not everyone will be impacted the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I think the problem with asking the "man on the street" is that your answer can vary greatly depending on which man you happen to ask. It's also hard for people to really know exactly how much extra they've been spending, even if they keep meticulous budgets. I couldn't tell you how much my spending has gone up or down since this time last year, and even if you know, it's hard to know whether it's down to price increases or change of lifestyle (e.g. I probably spend more in restaurants in a month now than I would have done in a month in 2020, but I didn't go to restaurants much at all in 2020 so couldn't really say if the prices have changed).

• Advertisement

Whether people like how they measure CPI or not it is the most reliable way of measuring inflation in the overall economy. It may not best way of measuring an individuals inflation as people will spend differently as you pointed out and this is exactly the point that I was trying to make.

Advertisement