Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey - Bethesda 2017

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Really enjoyed the demo. A definitely purchase for me when it gets cheaper (Can't justify paying full price for games after doing so for so many years!)

Question for people who played it tho, is there anything brought over from the original Prey? (loved that game) or is this a total reboot and only connection in name.

Total reboot really, I loved the original prey,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Skatedude wrote: »
    Total reboot really, I loved the original prey,

I loved the first 10 mins , after that it kind of went downhill.
    Still has one of the best and most memorable openings ever, especially given how mediocre the game itself was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I love the game, but have given up playing because of the hard coded mouse button issues.
    I've been using middle mouse button for jump for 20+ years and it just makes combat impossible withe the radial menu popping up all the time.

I'll play again if they ever fix it, but support said they are not even looking into it atm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Being hooked on this the past few days... might splash out and get the new DLC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished this last night. Really thought I'd enjoy it more from the opening 8 hours or so but as the game progressed I disliked it more and more and ended up just grinding through it for the sake of finishing it.

Main gripe was the tendency for the game to throw ever more annoying enemies at you as you got to the latter stages and found
    the flooding the station with those bastard Military Operators
    a complete cop out.

And I have never come across load times so slow in a game. A lot of traversal of the station required towards the end and must have spent 20 minutes of the last hours play looking at load screens. Was playing on the One X so can only imagine how slow it is on the regular consoles.

Completely ruined any atmosphere and flow at a stage when the game is trying to crank it up but the load times are just crippling it. And to top it there's generally a second 'mini' load screen (the one that looks like a Windows 10 icon) after the initial painfully slow one.

Have the DLC too which is supposed to be good but not sure I could be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Started this just now. I only played the first 15 mins and I am taking a break not because I dislike the game, I was playing Mass Effect 3 for a few hours. I will play more later. Has this anything to do with Prey that came out in the 360/PS3 era?

This game has a mad opening sequence.

I don't know why this thread only has four pages as this game is brilliant. I love the way you can explore at your own pace. I used that weird big gun that shoots out some sort of crystal stuff to get up to levels that wouldn't be accessible so early in the game. Only got a stun gun from doing that but I suppose I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. I'm a collector of junk so I maxed out carrying capacity so unfortunately I cannot carry anymore stuff. I do not know how I will get around that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Yeah, it does have a great opening tbf. Been meaning to go back to this, played it a few years back but stuck early on in the game and just gave up. Seen it’s on Now so might jump back in some time.

How did you get stuck and where? I haven't come across any where too difficult apart from inventory. I keep ending up with too much stuff and cannot carry anymore. I have to keep leaving an area to go back to my office to use that machine to get useful stuff from junk.

It's actually easy to control inventory the further you get into it as there is recyclable machines hidden throughout the space station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I think i got stuck in some area and had little to no ammo. I’ve it downloaded again anyway so will give it another go later on.

I read through this whole thread last night and people have said you run out of ammo but that was later in the game. Use the wrench as much as possible.

Anyone here play the moon something DLC? Is it worth it? I may wait till it is on sale before I buy it.

I played it, didn't like it and I platinumed the main game! Been a long time since I played it but remember it as being a lot harder than the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

So I put 180 hours into ff16 and zelda totk and I really wanted start BG3 but I was like I can't stomach another 100 hour game and starfield a month away . At least if that is a flop or cyberpunk mess I can start Bg3. I was looking for something off my backlog shortlist to pass a week or 2 . Picked this over evil within 2 and state of decay 2 and a few more . Played system shock remake demo on steam as a small prep . My god Prey is incredible . sometimes when I am a quarter , half way maybe two third through a game I can think it's 8,9 or 10 out of 10 and I can get sick of filler or gameplay gets repetitive and I think less of it ( looking at you FF16). It's just so addictive the gameplay loop of looting , crafting , getting new powers etc . The location , the atmosphere , the Nightmare 😅. Iv 3 main missions left I will finish it today hopefully and I can't see it being less then 10/10 for me . Incredible game . Bought it for cheap as chips in steam summer sale even though had it on game pass cos wanted option playing on steam deck but so far just stuck to pc. Play it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

One of the best games I've played. Gave it a go during lockdown since I had a fair bit of free time. I loved it from start to finish. I loved the intro and then slowly piecing together what was going on from the emails and notes and so on. It reminded me of Dishonored a bit with the many ways that a problem can be approached. I'm also a simple enough sort who likes to hit things with a crowbar but the wrench was a perfectly fine substitute.

The environments looks fantastic and that feeling of isolation and helplessness in parts was handled very well both inside and outside. I didn't experience any bugs and the game ran without a hitch. I didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome but it also didn't feel like it needed to be any longer to tell the story. I went with a human run but I'll try a mutant one once enough time has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got very strong half life vibes off it.

It took me a long time to warm to it after the original prey 2 got cancelled. I still think that's one of the corporate gaming crimes of the decade.

But once I did come around to it I really enjoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

IMO Prey is the only modern immersive sim that might actually belong in the classics category alongside stuff like Deus Ex

Not a perfect game, the enemy design can be dull, but in terms of interactions and exploring for secrets I like it better than Bioshock and System Shock 2.

Favorite thing was turning into a banana and sneaking around, and using the whirlwind move to fling my banana self across rooms to snipe with other powers

I agree, Prey was such a great game. I loved the intro

and then finding out the truth. I really thought I was flying over New York.

Advertisement