Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's everybody else's fault but Arlene's and Unionism's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You mean, any republican living in Monaghan who’s name starts with the letter F. There must be another few dozen who think this is some great faux pas 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Yes that's intuitive. It seems odd the contortion that some NI unionists have in their heads, do they hate the country they live in? Scottish unionism doesn't involve denying Scottishness in the same way. Their identity is fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,643 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The right of a people to self-determination is a fundamental principle of international law, and has been for a long time. It was already established by the First World War, when the Allies cited it as a ground for opposing the actions of the Central Powers, and of course it was fundamental in the post-war settlement that emerged - the reestablishment of independent Poland, the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian empire into separate nation-states, etc. In the course of the twentieth century it underpinned the dismantling of the colonial system, and it's constantly invoked today with reference to current international problems, such as the Palestinian question. It's explicitly stated in the UN Charter and a variety of other multilateral treaties and UN resolutions.

The thing is, while it's beyond argument that a people has a right in international law to self-determination, what's less clear is what is meant by "a people". At one end of the spectrum, the Polish nation is obviously a people; at the other end, the residents of 26 Acacia Avenue obviously are not. But where do you draw the line? There has been a strong tendency to equate a people with a nation; a historically-rooted community sharing common ethnic, linguistic, cultural, etc bonds and associated with a particular country. But multinational states obviously are reluctant to accept this; they are more inclined to say that a "people" is defined by political status; if you are governed by a foreign country and have limited or no participation in the politics of that country, you are a people with a right of self-determination, but if you participate fully along with other communities you are not. So in the case of France, for instance, the populations of France's various colonial possessions would on this view be peoples with a right of self-determination, but the population of Brittany, not so much. Or, consider Spain's position on Catalonia.

What exactly is meant by "people" has been an issue pretty much from the get-go; back in 1919 Dáil Éireann sent a delegation to the Paris Peace Conference seeking support for Ireland's exercise of the right of self-determination; they didn't get very far, because they were seeking independence from one of the victors in that war, rather than from one of the vanquished. And yet just a couple of years later the exercise of that right - albeit in a qualified form - was accepted by the UK, and an independent Irish state was established.

And you could ask the same question about Scotland today. In 2014 the UK conceded to Scotland the right to conduct an independence referendum and accepted that it would be bound by the outcome; that fairly clearly seems to treat the Scots as a people with a right of self-determination. But now the UK's position is that the Scots can only have an independence referendum if Westminster graciously concedes it to them; they have no right to such a thing and, by implication, they are not a people with a right to self-determination.

And that's where to situate the Good Friday Agreement. It's an international legal instrument that affirms the right of the people of Northern Ireland to determine their own international political status; it affirms that they are a people with a right to self-determination. This is now beyond argument.

This is a little bit awkward for people who want to assert that there is one unified, indivisible Britain with one equal British nationality for all. The GFA affirms that the UK contains within it at least one people with a right to self-determination, a right which - as just pointed out - at least some commentators associate with national identity. It bolsters the view that the UK is a multinational state, and it lends at least indirect support to advocates of Scottish independence - how can the UK concede that NI is a people with a right of self-determination, and yet refuse to recognise that Scotland is too? And it fatally undermines the line that NI is "as British as Finchley" (though, to be fair, that's not a line that anyone has used very much in recent decades).

(Worth pointing out that it's similarly awkward for people who want to assert that there is one, unified, indivisible Ireland with one equal Irish nationality for all.)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don’t take us over that old ground again. It was republicans and Irish prime ministers who were first to talk up the potential of violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ohhh do you need to have the difference between someone warning of the potential for violence and threatening violence explained to you again?

Well maybe you will tell us when the dup threatened violence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Did i ever suggest they did? Your straw men are becoming desperate now downcow

Poots inventing threats to admin had the same effect as real threats.

Sammy with his 'guerilla warfare' comments?

Of course both (no more than you did when you made your ' cannot guaruntee my peacefulness') when challenged, will back away from incitement like that and pretend they meant sonething else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Typical dumbass unionist, disagree with the protocol that they negotiated so lets burn a bus. Really shows their lack of intelligence and why they are so easily led.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,235 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What it someone said this:

"I wouldn’t say a return to violence is inevitable, because the peace process is very strong, and there is no appetite for a return to conflict.......So, no, there is no great appetite for it, but I have to tell you, it would be a very foolish and a very reckless person who would be prepared to gamble, or to take a chance, however small, that there might be a return to armed actions."

Would you consider that as having the same effect as real threats?

That is the same as faking threats of violence against officials?

Ok. Think we have reached peak absurdity.

No, I never said that they were the same. I asked a question as to whether statements like the one I quoted could be considered as having the same effect as real threats. There have been many idiots on both sides who have made statements like that with veiled threats of a return to violence, I am sure that you don't hold for either.

Absolute nonsense and yet another attempt to cover Unionist blushes.

So you support veiled threats? Which is it, I am getting confused?

Maybe veiled threats from one side are ok, but not the other?

Let's be clear, the statements from the DUP were dreadful but they haven't been the only ones making veiled threats about violence over Brexit and the border. Sanctimonious criticism of them from those who support veiled threats from others is nauseating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Loyalists burn a bus.....and Blanch lands straight in with the attempt to steer the conversation to 'both sides.....' As predictable as it is insufferable.

I support reasoned assessment.

You have just put all the reasoned assessments of the Irish Government, the rest of the EU and other concerned bodies on a par with a now resigned DUP Minister faking death and injury threats against EU officials.

Well...done...you. The road to a UI will be littered with the integrity of desperate partitionists like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Who made all these "threats" of violence, veiled or otherwise in fairness? I don't remember it and I probably have taken an unhealthy interest in the saga of Brexit.

I'm considering here either of the 2 political sides in NI [not paramilitaries], or the Irish, EU, UK politicians involved.

I don't recall it.

NI seems unstable, politics there is a long way from normality despite how much time has passed since the violence ended. I think Brexit means change is inevitable for NI and someone will not be happy whatever the final result here. Many people of all stripes have predicted impact of the UKs Glorious Brexit project on it would be political instability which could end up in violence from some quarter that is displeased with the outcome. That is not threatening violence. By default (no NI protocol or similar), the people most likely to be discomfited and angered are Nationalists in NI (and people living near the border on either side).

Seems milder to me than an Irish prime minister holding up photos at a Eu dinner of the aftermath of my countrymen being murdered by the ira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Guys keep your hair on. We are talking about an isolated incident and one bus burned. Seems they timed it so as no passengers on board and community not affected. You seem to have very short memories of the ira stopping buses and separating the protestants from the catholics before murdering all the Protestants. This is a non event

most unionists are still believing the recent change of heart from the Eu will continue and no doubt will remain peaceful to allow that to happen.

Are you being serious or on a wind up. Do you need me to go and find the link for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Only in your view could holding up a photo be worse than burning a bus. Think about what you post, it does not make you look the smartest.

A scenario that shows up the utter redundancy of this argument from blanch and yourself.

If the Taoiseach held up a printout of the conversation here, where you said that you 'could not guarantee your peacefulness' and then showed photos of protest marches with people setting themselves alight, that would be the Taoiseach's assessment of what might happen and we know that dissidents HAVE threatened to attach a hard border if one is re-imposed. It was not a threat, the threat came from those making them. That is a dutiful and responsible thing to consider before implementing any agreement or directive.

If there was a threat of violence from loyalists (which there was) then the onus and duty was on those who signed the Protocol on their side to consider that. They clearly didn't see the threat as significant and so far they have been right, with little to no crowds on the streets protesting and sporadic mindless violence from what was predominately youths.

The most serious threat was manufacturer by a Unionist Minister who became a party leader before having to fall on his sword as Unionists basically argued amongst themselves and threatened briefly to disrupt Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If they are asked. What specifically it is about the protocol that they object to, they don't have any answers. And as for what it should be replaced with, nada. Whereas the reality is there are many people in the north who do understand the value of access to both UK and EU markets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Irish Taoiseach described the importance of the peace process and how fragile it was and how there can be no return to the violence of the past by the introduction of a hard border on the island as a result of a political decision by the British. The audience were shown examples of some atrocities from NI. An Taoiseach also mentioned how physical border infrastructure would (obviously) become a target which would need to be defended which in turn would eventually require military protection and therefore you're completely back to where the people of NI never wanted to return. You know all this despite posting your earlier nonsense.

This message by An Taoiseach was deliberately translated by unionists and loyalists into a threat of violence to suit an anti-Irish and anti-EU political agenda.

Was An Taoiseach wrong to explain to an interested audience about why peace on the island was so important to protect (via the GFA)? The Irish government were right to show concern at thebdisregard for NI within the UK's actions. The Irish goveenment has an active role in ensuring peace in NI. It is just a pity that the British government didn't genuinely express similar concern for peace in NI at any point since 2016. In fact they appeared happy to sacrifice peace in order to "get Brexit done" and damage the UK economy so much so that they're still at it!

Now I'll be happy to see you directly quoting threats of violence by An Taoiseach rather than spurt out misinformed nonsense but I don't believe that you will: you never do!

Any violence as a result of Brexit is purely down to the UK and unionist politicians inciting tensions in NI, along with a few drug dealing loyalist thugs who have encountered some disruptions to their business model. Thankfully to date there hasn't been any violence initiated by the nationalist or republican side because (I believe) they see that those pushing for the removal of the NIP are directly bringing closer an NI exit from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Advertisement